Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PUP fraud €183k, should the guilty be stripped of citizenship?

Options

Comments

I haven't looked at the act, but if the courts found it to be unconstitutional, or sections of it to be, then it would be struck down. Haven't time to look now, but irishstatutebook.ie will give any amendments.

Article 40 of the constitution will always be brought up if they attempt to take citizenship away from persons.

We have to deal with people we don't like in ways that may seem unfair, but putting a tyre filled with kerosene around the neck of a child molester and setting it on fire sounds nice, but civil society doesn't allow it.

You're seeking to compare/associate that with the revoking of citizenship for a non-native born person? What's up with the jumping to extremes??

Just as nobody said anything about an open border. Another extreme reaction, as if to say that the current situation is acceptable by comparison.

I didn't say it was the reason for our success, it's more a cost of maintaining it.

It's not though, since we could just do what non-European nations do... many of whom have maintained high levels of success while avoiding this situation we find Europe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The jumping to extremes is for dramatic purposes. My point is valid. We have certain norms. I don't like it anymore that you do, but it's my belief we are on this train now and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

We can try and do a Poland or Hungary on it, but Brussels won't be long in knocking us into line..their line

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"The judge rejected arguments by the Minister that only part of section 19.2 should be struck down and granted declarations that section 19.2 and 19.3 be struck down in their entirety.

It was not necessary, she held, to strike down section 19.1 which contains the ministerial power to revoke and the grounds for such revocation.

Noting the concerns of Mr Damache and the IRHEC that, to strike down section 19.2 and 19.3 while leaving in place section 19.1 could lead to the possibility of revocations taking place with no safeguards, she said it was “manifestly clear” the process provided for in section 19.1 did not provide the procedural safeguards required to meet the high standards of natural justice applicable to a person facing the severe consequences of revocation of citizenship.

The concerns of Mr Damache and the IRHEC could be met by the declarations striking down sections 19.2 and 19.3, she said. It is “inconceivable” that any contested revocation of a certificate of naturalisation would take place without appropriate safeguards having been put in place, she said."

Norms change over time, with the backing of any government. The changes in Ireland since the joining of the EU/EC are proof of that. Laws can be rolled back, and policies can be changed if there is enough support for it.

And as I've said Europe is shifting its attitude towards immigration and multiculturalism. Many of the nations which originally supported them, have since become critical. France has pointed out the failures of integration, when they were one of the biggest supporters in the 90s. Denmark is looking to limit the rights of immigrants. Even the Scandinavian nations are starting to get frustrated with their current situation, and the problems with crime or socio-economic inequalities that have arisen from immigration.

For now, Brussels remains pro-multiculturalism, but many of the key players are shifting away from supporting multiculturalism.. and once they do so with intent, well see Brussels following suit. And then Ireland will be encouraged to do the same. Poland and Hungary were simply the first to openly declare themselves, and they did so too early before there was enough support or sympathy in the EU. I suspect within the next 2-5 years that will have changed considerably, and they won't be outliers anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,670 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Norms change over time, with the backing of any government. The changes in Ireland since the joining of the EU/EC are proof of that. Laws can be rolled back, and policies can be changed if there is enough support for it.

Let's take the most prosperous period of the country, at any point in its history, and roll back the laws and policies that helped make this happen?

Regressive, backward, nonsensical.

You conveniently ignored the current state of the UK, which actually went down the path you are proposing, when you did your vague assessment of European sentiments.

And whatever about Poland, Hungary is pursuing fascist ideals, let's be clear about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

This is why the right is gaining more and more support across the eu , people want the right to decisions about what happens in their own countries and not what Brussels wants ,run a poll across the whole of Europe and ask if people want foreign criminals deported to this country of origin ,the absolute majority would say yes ,

Here's it's a case of arrive stay for 5 years and becomes a citizen ,lets ban dual citizenship your welcome to come live and work here but commit serious crimes and welfare fraud your out .

How people have difficulties processing this idea ?

Let's take the most prosperous period of the country, at any point in its history, and roll back the laws and policies that helped make this happen?

You believe that our laws regarding citizenship and migrant rights was a direct cause of Irish economic success... Yeah. No.

You conveniently ignored the current state of the UK, which actually went down the path you are proposing, when you did your vague assessment of European sentiments.

the UK is no loner part of the EU (which was the scope of the discussion).. In any case, it's impressive that you could dumb down the UK situation to support your views on citizenship rights. Like... come on, seriously?

And whatever about Poland, Hungary is pursuing fascist ideals, let's be clear about that.

The topic at hand is about citizenship and immigration.. there was no mentioning of their activities in other areas.

But no, I don't see Poland pursuing fascist Ideals. I see them taking a more authoritarian attitude towards governance, but fascism is something else entirely. Hungary, yeah, I can see the connection with fascism. In any case, it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. But yes, I'm clear on your opinions...

Ban dual citizenship? What about foreign born Irish citizens? Are you suggesting that we ban their right to Irish citizenship?

That's literally the Brexit argument in a nutshell. An argument, as we have seen to be based on lies, manipulation and deflection.

The UK was struggling economically before it joined the EU, and is struggling economically since it left.

You can't say what 'the majority' would say, because you've no evidence to support it.

It's much more curious how people are actually arguing for a discrimatory environment for people with acquired citizenship, before they even commit a crime.

At least one poster has made it clear in recent posts, their support for such an ideal is largely driven by their dislike of the concept of multiculturalism rather than any stringent desire to respect Ireland. That in itself is a clue as to what's really going on here.

That and the comparative lack of disinterest about Irish people who commit similar crimes of even greater value.

And of course the consistent focus on people from typically non-white countries and ignoring the 400k UK people who acquired Irish Citizenship when arguing that the penalty for committing certain crimes ('certain' as yet undefined) should be deportation.

And also curious is that it is often the case that many voices proclaiming love for their country, are loudest when using this supposed love as a stick to fight on other topics.

These people never seem to start conversations about how to make the country better through their own action, but instead use their faux patriotism as some sort of shield to hopefully absolve them and prevent them from being called out for what truly motivates them. Which, to remove any doubt, in my view, is racism in many cases.

We've seen this hijacking of national pride in the US, we've seen it in the UK, and we see it being attempted in Ireland. Thankfully, mostly by only a handful of zealots. But it's frequently why I get involved in these conversations on here, because I'm not going to leave them to stand comfortably on their soap boxes and use the absence of a counterpoint as an argument that everyone agrees with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's really depressing reading through this discussion. Makes me despair for the lack of humanity. Thankfully the constititution shows more compassion than many seem to on here. I'd be interested to know how widespread the belief is that people that become citizens have less rights than people who happened to have been born in Ireland

We ban dual citizenship and we wouldn't be the only Europe not to allow dual or multiple citizenships,

But I'm sure someone will still complain it's not fair

Don't think it's that widespread. No doubt, probably 10, 15, 20% even, but nowhere near a majority of the population.

This, in a long line of 'focused' threads on here leaves much less room for interpretation than many of the other ones though as it is literally, and categorically aeguing for discriminating against people and attempting to generate two classes of citizen.

At least one poster has made it clear in recent posts, their support for such an ideal is largely driven by their dislike of the concept of multiculturalism rather than any stringent desire to respect Ireland. That in itself is a clue as to what's really going on here.

For someone who loves to call others out on supposed strawman arguments, you don't seem to have any difficulty in throwing them out yourself. It's true that I see the negatives of multiculturalism (as it is implemented now) as far outweighing the benefits.. but to say that I have no desire to respect? Ireland. That's a leap based on nothing that I have written.

That and the comparative lack of disinterest about Irish people who commit similar crimes of even greater value.

The belief that they are different scenarios, and can be dealt with differently, does not mean that people are disinterested. Another assumption requiring a leap of logic based on nothing provided on this thread.

We already have separate class citizenship here ,those who haves and those who do not have,those who can afford to pay for medical treatments, dental treatments and housing

What difference would it make revolking applied for citizenships when they committ serious crimes and deportation

For someone who loves to call others out on supposed strawman arguments, you don't seem to have any difficulty in throwing them out yourself. It's true that I see the negatives of multiculturalism (as it is implemented now) as far outweighing the benefits.. but to say that I have no desire to respect? Ireland. That's a leap based on nothing that I have written.

You should read it again, that isn't what I said. My view is based on your, and not just you alone, being focused on taking part in discussions where the topic is knocking down others as opposed to changing your behaviour in some/any way to help Ireland be better in some way or form.

The belief that they are different scenarios, and can be dealt with differently, does not mean that people are disinterested. Another assumption requiring a leap of logic based on nothing provided on this thread.

Again, the absence of comparative conversation on such events is evidence that they view 2 people committing the same crime differently.

I.e. in a discriminating manner.

Some people would look at this situation and think, 'let's fix it so everyone has what they need to live with dignity'.

Others look at it and think, let's legislate to treat people differently.

I'm 100% sure I know which side I want to be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Gatling wrote:

if people want foreign criminals deported to this country of origin ,the absolute majority would say yes ,

Pretty sure if you asked the same people whether they think all expat criminals should be sent home rather than put in prison, they'd say definitely not, we don't want them. It's because people on the conservative spectrum tend to be inherently selfish and hypocritical, mé-féiners rather than having some grand ideological notions about the nature of governance.

You should read it again, that isn't what I said. My view is based on your, and not just you alone, being focused on taking part in discussions where the topic is knocking down others as opposed to changing your behaviour in some/any way to help Ireland be better in some way or form.

As opposed to me changing my behavior? Now, you're stepping over a line. So far I was willing to treat your leaps in logic, assumptions made without evidence, and casual attempts to associate opinions with racism, as being the matter of the course with these kind of topics, but now you're getting personal. Nothing in my posts seeks to "knock down others".

You know nothing of my personal circumstance, just as I know nothing of yours. I don't know nor care what it is that you do yourself, because it has no bearing on the discussions we have on boards. Argue the topic and the contributions to that topic. ffs, But then, I suspect you can't, hence the need to make comments about posters themselves, or the repeated attempts to interject connections/associations with racism or other negatives, based on nothing more than the air you breathe. Meh.

Again, the absence of comparative conversation on such events is evidence that they view 2 people committing the same crime differently.

People are punished differently all the time based on the circumstances of the case, and often based on the gender of the person. I stated earlier that those involved should be processed exactly the same with the aim of establishing guilt or innocence, and if proven guilty, serve the same sentence, and then, the citizenship of the non-native being revoked.

Regardless though, per the first part of this post, I am seriously tired of your attempts to twist what others have written.

If you want to engage in a proper discussion, I'm game. But if you want to continue with this BS, then I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This reminds me a bit of the Lisa Smith thread, where posters who relentlessly bang on about 'send them back where they came from' suddenly were aghast at the idea of Lisa Smith being sent back where she came from.

• Advertisement

Rinse and repeat with you isn't it

Anytime people disagree with you and point out how they think this you get upset and declare they are twisting what is being said.

And within this very post, you talk about treating people the same, having them serve the same sentence and then removing their citizenship like that doesn't become part of the penalty and which a 'native' doesn't have to be concerned about.

And as with my response to Gatling, why not look to treat people equally instead of using disparity as a justification for actually legalizing the practice.

Maybe go straight to explaining how you are not in fact proposing this instead of lamenting that I think you are wrong.

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a referendum in 2004 on the anchor babies rule. Over 70% voted to change it.

Labour and some other parties now want that changed. Do you think it should be changed against the will of the people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The issue is not multiculturalism, it's about the word and reputation of the government. We do not retroactively renege on deals(like granting citizenship) and we do not make policy based on our prejudice of where a person was born, something the person has no control over and no virtue or endeavor can overcome. This discussion stinks of exclusivity, as though we should drive value and pride based on some bit of luck that we were born inside an arbitrary border. It's a terrible human trait, to try to create and maintain fake value through exclusion. It's the business model of country clubs and ivy league colleges and inherently it has no real value.

The failure here is the gatekeeping, if there is any evidence of previous criminality. That is a valid reason for exclusion because a crime involves a choice unlike the location of ones birth.

If you create this second class citizenship, purely by human nature, that group will be further degraded over time. We love to exclude and put others down, it's much easier to create a sense of value through exclusion than to actually create real value in our community.

Immigration is an opportunity to improve the human capital of your country and to introduce new ideas and ways of problem solving. The USA and Canada for example use it, to bring in the smartest , well trained people they can. To supplement an aging population with working age labour. It's a big business and they are experts in it. It can be a real asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭blackbox

If a person obtains Irish citizenship by fraudulent means, he or she should be deported.

If not, their citizenship is the same as the descendants of Brian Boru. If they commit criminal acts, they should face the same consequences as any other Irish citizen who did likewise.

Rinse and repeat with you isn't it

Anytime people disagree with you and point out how they think this you get upset and declare they are twisting what is being said.

Disagree no. I'm perfectly fine with posters disagreeing with me, especially when they disagree with what I have posted to the thread... as opposed to posters who feel the need to interject assumptions, and comments about things that weren't posted to the thread.

But yes, while in the past I had the patience to deal with that kind of BS, I don't anymore, and I will call them/you on out it. And eventually, I will reach a point where I no longer have the patience to deal with their dishonest style of posting, and will drop out.

And within this very post, you talk about treating people the same, having them serve the same sentence and then removing their citizenship like that doesn't become part of the penalty and which a 'native' doesn't have to be concerned about.

Yup. I did. And... that would be different from what you claimed previously.

And as with my response to Gatling, why not look to treat people equally instead of using disparity as a justification for actually legalizing the practice.

Probably because I don't believe we need to treat everyone equally in every possible situation, since in reality that doesn't happen anyway.

Maybe go straight to explaining how you are not in fact proposing this instead of lamenting that I think you are wrong.

I have no problem with you believing me to be wrong. We're able to have different opinions on topics, but that wasn't my issues with your previous posts... and I have no intention going around in circles repeating those issues, because you'll simply deflect, and it'll go nowhere fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

We had to broker a deal to get her back. She more than likely would have been shot if we'd left her there. Which would have been good enough for her. It wasn't like they were asking us to take her back. Her and her family lobbied for it, completely different scenario.

I wanted her to be shot ,

but that upset a few people ,

I'll happily accept Irish people back who have been deportated for committing crimes anywhere else ,but again the same who don't want foreign criminals deported from here yet will happily say send our criminals back here .

The hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

As is usually the case with these things, it would probably cost more than it's worth to chase down and prosecute these cases and it would be cheaper for the state to just take the losses on the fraudulent claims on the chin.

Happens to be true but is also a total cop out from the authorities and suits them. Also, the do gooder media would have a feeding frenzy on it if they did persue people. Ah jaysis joe, dey are takin de money off of de vudneridible.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

This just sums the thread up nicely, talk about 1000's of Irish people committing fraud is met with 'Oh it wouldn't be cost effective to prosecute those people, lets' just write it off', if someone from a less desirable country does it though, prosecute, revoke citizenship and deport is the only logical solution.

Hard to see people so comfortable in advocating for this type of a society.

• Advertisement

Come for a better life ,or a better payout on criminal enterprise and we get faux tears of equality

Advertisement