Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I know the ID.4 has a setting to auto release the charging cable when a session is finished

Not sure how many people have it ticked though 😅

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Hyundai has the same. For Kona is a push button on the right hand side below the lights selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

Will they work if the car is locked? I wouldn’t fancy that if that’s the case, those 22kW cables aren’t cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Went back and tried again this evening and still no joy.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It's more for tethered charging. It releases the cable for the next user when your charge ends. You should be moving your car though, so for me I never set it.

Potentially could be used when home charging, so the plug doesn't require an unlock of the car to release it in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It treats an AC cable and a DC cable differently, the CCS spec allows the car to control the behaviour. The Ioniq was pretty sane and would release the CCS but hold the Type2.

I believe it is only for DC. I need to re read the manual as I've never use it. The DC cables are so short that hardly someone else from an adjacent spot can use them. Unless the charger is configure as a petrol station maybe.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Very much depends on the 2nd car. If the first car has a port on the right and the second has it on the left then it's usually easy to switch without moving the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Got a reply of ecars telling me they have a 150KW DC charger at the circle k in kilcullen off the M9.

Has anyone used this? Can you only charge one EV at 150KW at a time?

could definitely do with one at Paulstowntown though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There is a CCS & CHAdeMO plug on the 150kW unit in Kilcullen.

you could be plugged in taking 150kW on CCS and if a Leaf plugged into the CHAdeMO, you get reduced to 75kW (regardless of what the Leaf is taking*)

*it won’t be taking 75kW anyway…

• Advertisement

There’s also a 50kW unit. But as it’s basically the only charger on the M9, it gets fairly busy….

also a good site to be ICE’d as the chargers are close to the entrance…

Thanks Andy.

to be honest that would put me off buying an EV at the moment.

Ecars need to get the finger out!

Depending on where you're going to/from, you could manage without using this site, you have Ionity a little further up the road in Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Ionity* is €0.73 / kWh versus Ecars' €0.33-0.37 / kWh for a rapid charger. Pricey.

(* Ionity drops to €0.35 / kWh if you pay a 12 x €18 monthly subscription.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I see that MFG in the UK are replacing CCS cables from 3.4m to 5.5m.

Does anyone know whether the eCars units are capable of this?

The units? probably yes.

eCars? probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Check your route on abetterrouteplanner website or app, can change car type, weather, charger types e.g. CCS for fast charging. Will show you alternatives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ecars have no big plans to rollout lots of DC chargers. They have zero plans to roll out AC chargers. Most installs by councils are demos or pilots and AC only. There is a few taxi dedicated chargers but not enough and all public Dc chargers near airports are busy with EV Taxis charging. The main downside of EV ownership is public charging when travelling beyond range. One work around is getting a 400km range EV. Another option is a second car either a 2 car household or borrowing or hiring a car for long trips. You may be ok when you get to the charger, but it may be busy, blocked or broken. We need at least 3 times as many chargers right now for now demand, let alone future needs. There is no plans for this to happen.

Esb ecars would rollout of it was in their interests, but they are wary on funding it themselves and possible future competition which might make sites not make money. Presumably they also assume they will get more free money so are waiting for more free money.

Oh no. I think Mayfields last HPC is a dual CHAdeMO unit. It appeared online today and my server scraped it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think they made a mistake as it shows 2*CCS and 2*chademo at that same point. Hopefully at worst case its 1 of each. Of course, on a HPC, it should be CCS only

Seems the new unit to be CCS only

Is the first one on the list? C7YCD I think. 200kWi*

• i denotes the imaginary part in this complex arrangement

What a f;:/()@ sh1tshow…..

and I’m not even talking about the new unit… (which just went from 200kW to 150kW before my very eyes)

Remember folks this hyper hub has been online for almost 5 months to the day.

I'll give them kudos for leaving an old triple head unit there while the 3 new units were in testing, but it seems like they've just said: "'fcuk it' we'll never get them working right so lets just plough on and put the 4th unit in.... 4 cars DC charging simultaneously after all is still a pretty impressive feat....maybe 5 or even 6 if its a good day!!, now lets crack on, that Christmas party isn't going to plan itself"

The "150kW" are only marked as 150kW. They're not limited to 150kW. Ecars somehow got it into their heads that giving the wrong max power output was clearer than giving the correct details.

Left plug is 200A, right plug is 350A, so depending on whether you're a 400V or 800V car you'll theoretically get full power.

I know that, it's just when I first looked, it showed the new one as 200kW (as per innrain's screenshot), and it was the same when I looked at it, but then it literally changed to 150kW before my eyes...

I'd happily settle for the units limited to 150kW if it meant all the plugs could be used at once (all the time) like it's supposed to do, and like they say it will...

But we all know how extremely difficult it is to install <50+kW chargers... sure eCars only have 13 of them installed to date!!

Ionity only have the 22, and Tesla 36 (up to 42 in about 3 weeks).

Fingers crossed they can do the next super hub in 2022, and maybe another in 2023...... and maybe one day 8 cars will be able to charge simultaneously at one of them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anyone tried to simultaneously use the "150" kW chargers recently? I will be passing J14 this weekend but if only 1 car can charge at each fast charger I might give it a miss.

The IEVOA meetup is there this weekend so hopefully they'll give the place a decent test.

It's still showing as 2ccs and 2 CHAdeMO plugs. What if it's not a big, and they have 2of each, but only 2 can be used at a time. Best of both. No "wasted" plug when CHAdeMO aren't around to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I don't think I've seen those units with 4 cables anywhere else. I think Circle K use them a lot in Norway and they feature in a fair few of Bjorn's videos

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement