Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They had an excellent opportunity to disown Trump after January 6th and the impeachment. Could have easily been shot of him and whilst there would have been a bit of a loss to their voting numbers for a bit if they had just cut him off they could now be back on the road to lining up properly competent politicians. They needed to lance the boil back then and we'd already be back to normal boring politics and wondering who might stand in 2024 against Harris.

Instead the GOP have the Trump problem for at least another 3 years and however long they let him complain about election fraud after 2024, whichever way the results go, before he can finally be resigned to the dustbin of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭briany

They couldn't cut Trump off if they wanted to. They barely cut him in to begin with. Trump waded his way into the scene and swiftly emasculated every single 'top' politician within the ranks of the Republican party during the 2016 primary. He's not someone the party wanted, to begin with. His nearest rival, Ted Cruz, wouldn't even endorse him at the 2016 Republican convention, such was his distaste for Trump, but Trump barely even cared. It was pretty much immaterial to Trump whether he got that endorsement or not, apart from in the petty little way where Trump seeks to punish any perceived slight against him. Trump had almost completely sidestepped the party apparatus in getting that nomination. He would certainly seek to make life as difficult for the Republican party as possible if the party ever tried to shun him, and to that end would call on his supporters to either abstain from voting or vote for whatever 3rd party Trump concocted.

There's no heinous act that Trump could commit that would make for a good time to break with him either. Trump directly said that he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and he wouldn't lose any voters, and as it turns out, he wasn't joking. He had a hateful presidency with an utterly cack-handed response to a big domestic crisis in COVID-19 and he gained 10 million of them out of it. And the Republican voter base wasn't exactly aghast at what happened on January 6th either. I think the worse Trump acts, the better they like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One year ago today.

Happy anniversary, 45!

One of the most comical **** ups ever happened this day last year....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Biden is such a bore, I miss listening to Trumps daily ramblings getting him into sht constantly. At least he was entertaining and kept me opening up the news. Now I don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness though, that's a bit like saying "Man, it sure was warmer when the house was on fire..."

Yeah, he was actively contributing to the breakdown and coarsening of American political discourse.... but he was a good laugh...

In the end, he was a good reminder of why western politicians have so long sought to be anodyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There's a documentary coming up about it, looking forward to a few beers and a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Good for him, those degenerates displayed total disregard for the health and safety of election workers by pushing their lies. Keep the lawsuits coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Looking at some of the Trump supporters, unlike them, I've had a thought recently.

If you were to get a cardboard cutout of Eric Cartman, have 50 of his most quotable racist and anti-liberal comments from South Park linked to a wheel on the cutouts back that when spun selects one of the comments to be pumped out of the speaker in his mouth, I think these nutcases would actually vote for the cut-out.

I actually think they're so stupid that they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Do you miss Donald Trump?

Yeah, like thrush.

I miss him on Twitter

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

There hasn’t been any worthwhile news regarding Trump lately, but since Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer are laying ruin to America, Biden and his democrat cronies are back at it portraying Trump as the boogeyman and responsible for all the ills in the world... because they really got nothing else.

I figure Democrats are salivating at the thought of Trump running in 2024, as it’s probably their only hope of keeping the presidency. But I think the GOP and even Trump knows the real path to winning the presidency. Trump will keep teasing a run in 2024 although he probably has no desire to really be POTUS again. The better strategy would be for Ron DeSantis to run, with the backing of Trump. Of course DeSantis would distance himself from Trump, and Trump would publicly admonish DeSantis’s for doing it, but continue to support him anyway. That strategy would bring in the Independents, regular Republicans, and even Trump supports. Democrats are already demonizing DeSantis on a national scale because they really do fear him. 

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Nice of you to admit trump is a loser who has zero chance of winning re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In what way are the Democrats laying ruin to America that the Republicans aren't? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Note the time and the date @everlast75. There was an admission of infallibility about Donald trump.

Yep, and that DeSantis is the Republicans' best chance of winning. If that's the truth, it'll be a real uphill struggle to win

• Advertisement

He'll never be able to top his tweet of 'I WON BY A LOT'. That's something you expect to hear a 4 year old scream after losing at something, not the 70-something then-POTUS. That was truly beyond parody. Remember when we thought it couldn't get any worse than GWB apparently forgetting the rest of 'fool me once, shame on you....'? Sweet Summer children we were.

What I thought was pretty funny was all the right-wing commentators who had previously been like, "Yes, my beliefs are simply what any rational person would arrive at. Leftists remember: facts don't care about your feelings." - all those people had to go along with Trump's insane, baseless conspiracy theorising both on Twitter and in the press - y,know the one about the rigged election that never even got to a proper court hearing because it kept getting thrown out. And they even had to be po-faced when Rudy Giuliani showed up outside Four Seasons Landscaping. So much for their rationalism.

Anyway, Trump doesn't need Twitter. He has Truth Social. If he's as charismatic and entertaining as he thinks, why I'm sure the people will come flocking. That's if it stays up long enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Do you accept the results of the election now?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wait... where are the forensic audits? Haven't heard about them for awhile.

Nice to see the economy skipping upward under Biden, once the infrastructure bill starts being implemented expect things to really spike.

A fair question and one deserving of a fair answer. Thanks to Biden and his democrat cronies our energy independence is shot to hell and gasoline prices will probably reach $4.00 a gallon soon, up from $1.75 when Trump left office. Fuel prices and electricity costs are also astronomical right now heading into the winter months. These factors hurt the poor and middle class the most. Our southern boarder is in shambles and illegal aliens are streaming across in record numbers. Democrat leaders are stoking the fires of racial hatred. They demand control by endless lockdowns, mask and vaccination requirements. Democrats in Congress are passing reckless deficit spending creating government dependence and rampant Inflation. And they wish to establish the federal control of elections, insuring democrats continual wins by unscrupulous methods. Trump fought against all those things. The results of the elections last week is a good indication that although Trump said mean things and made nasty tweets, the voters realize he and republicans had this country on the right track. 

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

On the deficit spending, is that not spending on things that will return the investment over time? And didn't the last administration run a massive deficit to reduce taxes, leaving less in the pot to pay to replace infrastructure?

I always did accept it. Once the elections are certified by the states, it’s game over, even though democrats utilized illegal and unscrupulous methods in order to win.

It's been verified by Biden's own treasury that decreased taxes brought in more revenues to the Federal government. Much of the first deficit spending of the Biden administration was to be used on infrastructure but worded the spending requirements in such a way that governors could use much of the money on pet projects to insure they keep getting support and political donations, like the bailing out of overbloated, mismanaged, and unsustainable public pensions.

I'd say that in the whole course of history, it is surely the most obvious case of fraud ever to be summarily dismissed by many different courts and even found not to be true by the famously non-partisan Cyber Ninjas company.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If anyone thought the cyber ninjas were going to turn up anything they are a moron. Even if there had been fraud they would not have found it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah come on. What means? You kept saying you were waiting for the result of the Arizona audit, zero proof of any wrong doing was found. What are you hanging on to now?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement