Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I know quite a few Unionists around the border, farmers and business men and not one of them have I heard stating they are worried or concerned. It's reflected in the disastrous attempts to get people on the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The thing is that Boris is making statements that play to his supporter base, a group of people who are more emotion and empire nostalgia than common sense. What he says may be for his fans rather than an accurate statement of intent. He literally has to make threats like this to stay popular with the type of supporters who believe that the EU, rather than Johnson himself is the enemy of the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

The arrogance moniker applies more to the pseudo-reasonable members of the Unionist parties - who cloak their disdain and hatred by gentle tones of respectful sounding speech.

I did not give credit where credit is due for my remarks on the young people of Britain. I was of the same mind as an erudite, intelligent former Tory MP, Rory Stewart - who was kicked from the party by the disingenuous, untrustworthy man who is bringing Britain into a plethora of trouble.

I would like to also point out that the Remain voters where the majority in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

PUP says 'no basis' to support Good Friday Agreement

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/1108/1258577-pup-good-friday-agreement/

sh*tebags

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

1) it splits what we regard as our nation. It doesn’t split what nationalists regard as their nation

2) I didn’t ask for the protocol to be scrapped

• Advertisement

1) Your attorney general has said it doesn't. And any court challenge on that basis failed. It's a trade border, nothing more.

Our nation is already split, and we are not paying the price for a Unionist wish. If you wanna Brexit, you bear the cost, physically and abstractly.

2. Have you criticised those who are burning buses to have it 'scrapped'?

They’d tell you wouldn’t they francie 😂. Are you really serious that farmers on the border would disclose to local republicans their innermost thoughts. Guys watch the news. Do you really not believe that the unionist community are ready to take this on?

That is absolutely not what I heard them say. They said they were 100% behind the Belfast agreement but cannot support what it has become by the loss of consent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭irelandrover

So what your unionist friends tell you is 100% true but what their unionist friends tell them is more likely a lie?

Genuine question, what's a unionist more likely to lie about, that they have an issue with the protocol that splits their country or they don't have an issue with it.

• Advertisement

Farmers that were buying any available agri land in the south when it looked like a no deal downcow? They have put the sectarian cudgels away years ago. They know this is about their welfare and pockets and the survival of their farms, not where you go to church.

3 councilors and zero MLA's

Nearly as representative as Bryson who got 167 vtes when he stood for election.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you really not believe that the unionist community are ready to take this on?

What alternatives are they suggesting?

Do unionists not agree with the will of the UK vote which was based on getting Brexit done along with the current NIP and TCA?

Do they really want NI to be as badly affected economically because of Brexit as GB? Is the unionist mindset so determined to spite itself that it would do willingly harm itself for no actual benefit (as shown already)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Certainly seems that way the Unionists want to ensure the worst possible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Unionists will happily drain every last pound from HM's Treasury if it mean't getting to 'do over' their neighbours. GB will be severely weakened by a trade war with the EU. If I was a unionist I'd be pleading with my fellow unionists to accept the NIP.

I've said it before that a United Ireland could very well be a rescue mission of our people in the north when they've had enough of unionist hatred and British duplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Violence on the streets and every single business in the North set to lose out on a massive windfall all because a few insecure unionists feel a bit less British.

Wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Why would a senior EU diplomat only speak to a very pro Brexit British Newspaper? I fear the Torygraph is spinning yarns and you are believing them. It's like Lord Frost only giving an interview to An Poblacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,124 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

@downcow I'm not sure whether you already mentioned this, but I see your post about Unionists not being happy with the Protocol.

Do you think any of them feel any badness towards Westminister for "selling them out" so to speak?

boards.ie is a general Irish message board. A person from Northern Ireland can come on here and get some basic level of understanding of many of the issues up North. I don't think you could say the same about a general English message board. Would you not agree? It's not that long ago that they sent over a NI secretary who didn't realise that Nationalists tend not to vote for Unionist parties and vice-versa ........ We might have our fair share of fairly thick politicians but I don't think we'd have any who wouldn't have at least a superficial understanding of issues and divisions up North.

Regardless of best intentions, you won't be well served by politicians that don't understand you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wow, how incredibly condescending! Hasn't the OP @downcow provided more than enough information? Who are you to lecture people who best serves them?

• Advertisement

I asked downcow. Not you. How incredibly condescending for you to stick your oar in. downcow is well able to answer for themselves. As you say - "wow".

You may not have been aware of Karen Bradley's well publicised "surprise" but sure it was only in the news at the time. You would have had to been following current affairs to be aware of it

Fair enough, apologies for butting in. But this is a public forum. You can DM each other if you wish. I'm just expressing my opinion on your voice. It's a debating platform.

What voice? The current batch of politicians in Westminister don't appear to understand the North. Would you not agree? We have our fair share of thick politicians down here - would you not agree? Even though they are thick, they would still have a superficial understanding of the North - again would you not agree?

I am sure the Westminister politicians could have sourced a NI Secretary who had some understanding of NI instead of KB, but they did not do so.

Would you also not agree that a high level of "man on the street" in England wouldn't be fully aware of situations up North. So those issues are never going to rank too highly with their politicians.

And finally, would you not agree that "Regardless of best intentions, you won't be well served by politicians that don't understand you.". Karen Bradley actually admitted out loud that she hadn't been aware that Nationalists and Unionists didn't vote for each other's parties. It is bad enough not to have been aware of that before accepting job as NI Secretary. But actually admitting to it shows a whole other level. It's Danny Healy-Rae level of self awareness

My question to downcow was simple. He mentioned that Unionists don't like the Protocol. I would assume that some blame their own government for leaving them in that situation. I was only asking him.

I am not trying to antagonise downcow at all. He will tell you himself that I have stood up for him on this forum in the past. Not that he needs anyone to stand up for him. I am interested in his answer because he always has a different perspective. I often don't agree with him but I find him to be genuine.

Fair enough @DonaldTrump. I may have taken your tone out of context of the debate. I apologise. It just seemed lecturey to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I think he was been a bit sarcastic with you lol

When I think about the NIP and Unionist opposition to it wouldn't Scotland love to be in that position of access to both UK and EU markets? I think Unionists up in the six counties are looking at this at a barrell half empty scenario rather than half full. Any good business person knows this is a fantastic and unique opportunity. I think in the long run they are shooting themselves in the foot.

That's ok. It was just a misunderstanding. No harm done. Sorry if I snapped a bit back. I didn't read back all the thread - only the last page or two so I might have missed some other stuff going on on thread maybe.

I don't think that all their politicians have to be clueless. I think that Blair understood issues up North. I think John Major did as well. The latter has given recent interviews about the importance of not messing the North around. For NI secretaries, they also had Mo Mowlam who seemed to be very in tune

Yeah @smokie72, maybe so. I just think that a lot of people from the outside are telling the people in NI what they should or should not think. It seems a bit belittling to me. They are the people in this position, for better or worse, and their voices should be heard and understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

What’s really funny is English politicians saying how great and unique a position NI finds itself in, with access to both markets - “oh, you mean, like the whole of the UK could have done if they’d stayed in the single market “. .

Yeah, I just was thread jumping and your post was the first I saw. I guess, I'm trying to express a viewpoint, that there is a bit of bullying of the Unionist voice in NI for the situation we all find ourselves in. As in, their identity is at fault, because of the (perceived) failure of British politicians. And I think that's unfair. That's my gist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

That's been suggested. A Celtic protocol of NI and Scotland with the checks done on the Scottish Border where there wouldnt be the same danger of violence.

Don't think Bojo and Frostie would be in the mood for 'more' protocol given they have set out their stall for total victory

Advertisement