Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No because that puts a line between Ireland and the Single Market and that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It won't happen. Ireland being somehow detached from the SM in any way is an outcome that exists only in the wettest dreams of Brexiteers. This would undermine the whole point of the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no need to watch this space. It's not going to happen. And I note you are basing this on your own personal lack of confidence in the Irish government when there has been consistently no basis for that opinion since brexit began.

Where and when has Ireland faltered can you explain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Again, what do you actually want Ireland to do? You asked for Ireland to placate the UK, I showed you that Ireland, and the EU, had already done plenty to try and placate the UK.

Throughout this process the UK has continually shown bad faith, with the current situation that they are looking to renege on a deal they themselves demanded on the basis that it makes them do certain things. What makes you think that any further concessions will lead to a situation where the UK will become an honest broker again?

The issue seems to be that the UK is still of the opinion that the EU must give in to all it demands in order for their Brexit to work. The problem with that is that by giving them what they want we are actually placing ourselves at a disadvantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That option exists only in the fantasies of Brexiters and Eurosceptics.

Lots of veiled cheerleading for the UK going on today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Which removes us from the single market and customs union and will kill our economy. Are we seriously back to this after 5 years of this being predicted by the likes of you but never once coming close to happening?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You say that, but think about what you'r saying. That the EU would intentionally self-sabotage a fundamental cornerstone to "punish" a member? It's lunacy stuff, and part of the mindset that at any minute 'dem foreigners are going to fold and give the UK everything it wants. If the EU intentionally hobbled Ireland as an easy way out, then there really would be other nations following the UK out the door - 'cos what point would the SM/CU be if it wasn't a rock-solid, unshakble arrangement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭yagan

I think it's a far less dangerous time for Irish people than when their troops could shoot us dead with impunity. I'm speaking of events in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭I told ya

Thanks. I would say it's all part of building up the rhetoric and blaming the EU, etc.

• Advertisement

I haven't predicted that before.

I'm not predicting it now, I mention it as ONE example of how Ireland could buckle and carry the UK's water.

But I WILL predict that we'll start hearing more about 'checks away from the border' within the next year.

How would Ireland buckle? Ireland isn't negotiating anything.

And F*ck that, from a height.

UK will be accepting US standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Read my post i said "by the likes of you" also Ireland isnt negotiating here the EU are, how and why would Ireland buckle? It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

are they meant to be there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Indeed, the TCA and Protocol are agreements between the EU and the UK. Ireland aren't even involved in the talks - we are 'interested observers'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trade deal loss 178 times greater than gains. I know, let's prevent the ECJ from getting involved. That'll fix everything!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deals-australia-new-zealand-b1952442.html

No wonder they're working so hard on the spin/deflect cycle. Imagine a campaign platform of "Let's be worse off by a factor of 178!"

I'm sure we will here about "checks away from the border" within the next year.

From yourself and others on here who are desperate for the EU to "lose" or the Tories "win"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We've had over half a decade of this carry on now and the only one who bucked was HM government. Repeatedly. If the EU held when the British actually had cards to play, why would they break now they have nothing?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You mean some sort of "oven-ready" technological solution?

• Advertisement

You have it wrong breezy1985.

I didn't want Brexit but didn't have a say in it.

I don't trust anything that HMG says, or signs for that matter.

I expect nothing but the worse from that crowd.

I don't think we should shy away from standing up a border because I believe it will drive a UI, and that's the only real lasting end game here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

B****cks to that - Ireland would end up being beholden to English laws made in London for the benefit of Tories deciding what food Irish would eat & destroying Ireland's agriculture in the process.

At that point we might as well hand Ireland back to the Brits and apologize for the trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Physically dividing the country in two is not going to make it whole again. The Irish Sea border that makes NI and Rep more reliant on each other is the best way for future unity.

Well you seem pretty certain that Ireland will buckle and the whole "I hate Brexit but" seems to be the go too tactic for Tories on Boards now so to be honest I don't believe you

They seem to be either pivoting the Brexit being bad, often because the EU is punishing them, but let's move on with it, or they're moving onto entirely new topics and pretending the entire Brexit fiasco is done and dusted. Not so many stories about Brexit dividends now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's actually refreshing to see Brexiters had done a complete flip and see their govt as incompetent, corrupt and dishonest. Something Remainers have said for years. Nice they agree on something.

But enraging to see so few of them realise they had any part in it by voting leave. It's the government's fault for not delivering the Brexit they wanted or the EU's fault for treating the UK unfairly. Everything predicted by the remain campaign, that has since happened, is treated like some unexpected consequence that nobody could possibly have predicted.

Breezy if you took up chess you might find that one has to imagine playing the pieces of the other side in order to reveal strategy and protect your own defenses.

When it comes to Brexit, we can't say exactly what the Brits want, but generally speaking they desire as much access to the SM as they can get, with as little strings attached as possible.

It's not hard to see that Ireland, and the border specifically, is the weak-link and where they will concentrate on.

Ireland has expressed loudly that it is super pain-averse regarding the border, and so any good chess player will try and maneuver that to his advantage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Chess analogy only holds if both sides begin on equal footing and are trying to destroy each other. It's both sides wanting to reach an agreement where one is beholden to ardent nationalism it fomented for short term political gain.

This is only like Chess because Boris has been eating his pieces. It's not going to end well for the UK if they push with Article 16.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

We'll only start hearing it from Brexiters trying to eat their cake. There is zero reason for Ireland or the EU to agree to this. Even less now that when the WA/TCA were agreed. If we gave in to blackmail & reneging on treaties now, the UK would just do it again and again and again.

If it came to that, why not hand the country back to them and apologize for the bother.

I do play chess

And it doesn't matter what the UK want it doesn't change the fact that you were wrong to suggest Ireland would ever agree to leave the SM by having the border between us and the rest of Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I get BluePlanets point (but not quite as worried about it). That solution (a "Sea Border"/NI protocol) is looking like it may be dying now. The UK doesn't want it to work, and sees benefits in wrecking it.

There's a bit of a way to go yet, but if the UK is determined on its course I have doubts the EU can force them to back down and implement the Protocol. Sure the UK can be economically punished, but perhaps they (the UK govt.) are coming to believe they can weather that. They might benefit from a "rally round the flag" effect (this time nasty EU/France/Ireland etc etc really will be "punishing" the UK quite harshly for their behaviour!). They can also just lie and spin (they are good at that) and deflect problems and blame away elsewhere in same way as they have already done somewhat successfully I'd judge (thanks to Covid pandemic) with natural consequences/effects of Brexit. An election is a long way off, Labour opposition don't look to be in any great shakes to fight one as far as I'm aware (?)

For all the Brexiter "WW3" jokes and sneers during the referendum the EU and its components like the Single Market are a highly successful peace project. I think if the UK does try to use Ireland/NI to wreck the Single Market, for other members (esp. France/Germany) its survival will take precendence over the Good Friday Agreement, NI or indeed (aspects of) Ireland's continued membership, should Irish govt. prove totally unwilling to take steps that might be required to control trade with NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't it particularly easy to beat a player who continually bluffs... And it's incredibly bad at it ?

More BS.

Irelands position in the EU is in no way under threat.

Also the no great shakes Labour are ahead in some polls now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭yagan

The number one reason for attacking the NIP is to keep EU confrontation alive in the English domestic media.

With another round of supply shocks Britain is most likely to end up aligned with the single market via NI, reverting back to May's original backstop. It would be most ironic but that's the way gravity seems to be pulling.

• Advertisement

Just saying it is "BS" does not make it so unfortunately.

Our position in the EU is not under threat yet (and hopefully won't ever be), but the UK govt. appears to be going further than in the past to try and deploy NI and Ireland's links to as a way to attack and undermine the EU and get leverage. That is a stark change from the previous govt. and UK PM I think (under which most of EU Withdrawal negotiations took place). While that govt. were obviously looking for the best "deal" possible, they did at least seem to honestly want to work with the EU/Ireland and sort out something that would keep NI relatively stable and maintain status quo at the NI border. This lot, not so much. It is all about conflict.

I haven't been keeping track of what's going on with Labour or the polls in the UK lately (don't live there) but that's positive to hear.

For 5 years we have been hearing about how the EU will put themselves first or sell Ireland out to make a deal.

Everything we have seen since shows this not to be true so yes what you said was BS fortunately.

If you want a more in depth answer why you are wrong it has been covered on here over and over

I remember all those old arguments, and I know that has been done to death. I don't post that much but I do read the thread.

However, I don't think you fully read or understood what I wrote. It's not a matter of someone ever "forcing" Ireland from the EU Single Market/ EU "putting itself first" etc (we are members of the EU after all). The EU won't ever be making any "deals" with post Brexit UK at Ireland's expense. That's a certainty.

No one will "sell us out" or "throw Ireland under the bus", it would be a matter of the govt. here actively making some bad decisions/choices at a crunch time. Basically putting a priority on status quo at border, or even status quo of free trade between NI/Ireland on a pedestal over everything else (incl. EU single market integrity). I think that is unlikely to happen if it ever comes to it, but am not certain (no one can be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the govt would always put Single Market integrity ahead of the Irish border. Putting up a hard border against the SM would be economically disastrous and cost many people their jobs.

The Irish government no matter how inept people might think they are will not ever choose the open border over the single market.

It's not an option, it's not on the table or in the minds of anyone other than those desperately disappointed that Brexit didn't create a tidal wave leading to Irexit

• Advertisement

Yeah, I would hope so. Am just a bit of a pessimist/worrier. As have said before it is a new situation for politicians here, coping with such a hostile UK govt.

It's also been almost a generation since they've had to deal with this big stuff involving foreign affairs, decisions affecting future of NI as well as this country etc. (probably the much maligned Bertie is the last one with that experience?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think there are several things here that merit discussion. The EU have been happy to let the UK be bellicose and noisy in front of their domestic audience while the EU has quietly schooled the UK consistently throughout the Brexit process. The UK have been giving the EU deadlines for a long time now and yet the UK have consistently been the ones to buckle when the time came.

The UK obviously see the Irish Border as the softer underbelly in their opponent and think that they can leverage an advantage out of applying stress to it. However the EU have the potential to destroy the UK financially. It's a bit like a boxer who believes that he can get at his opponent with consistent body shots, not realising his chin is constantly exposed. His opponent has no desire to knock him out, but can if he needs to.

So far the UK's loud and totally ineffective campaign has all goods entering the EU from Britain subject to full rules and regulations and no regulations on goods going in the opposite direction. Did the UK win any significant concessions from the EU on services or financial services in the Brexit negotiations?? Has the UK gained any advantage in any particular commercial field as a benefit of Brexit???? Will their pharmaceutical industry, or space industry, or car manufacturing gain from brexit????

The single most depressing part of Brexit is the sterile reality that the only vision that the Tory party has is of lowering social welfare and forcing more people into low paid jobs with poor job security. Their vision of Britain appears to date from the 1800's. A bit like the speeches in the house of commons stating that the Irish Famine was the fault of the Irish People, a bit more backbone and get up and go and they would have been fine. the Tory party really have never moved on.

It has been in my mind over last few years and I would be more EU supportive I think than the average Irish person. It is fears about competence of our politicians/leaders in-extremis that would sometimes have me worried they might make an incorrect choice.

It couldn't ever even be a proper open border unless Ireland literally joined into a customs Union and single market with the UK. Literally handing the Tories the keys to the country. I'd like to see the results of the referendum on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

How do people still not understand this basic premise?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The negotiations were conducted with Ireland having the ear of the EU negotiators at all times, and do you not recall the birth of the NI Protocol where Leo and Johnson walked together alone in deep conversation. On that occasion we had the ears on both sides of the negotiation.

Weare a lot more than 'interested observers'. When U von der Leyen tried to invoke Art 16, it lit up Dublin and was immediately cancelled on Dublin's insistence - a sign we are not just observers.

Many EU member states do not have the amount at stake, and are very happy to have Ireland's interests be the lead view. There has never been any hint of a variance of that position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And no one can be certain the UK won't just decide this has all been a bit silly and rejoin the EU in the morning. But its about as likely as any Irish govt willingly giving up their position in the single market.

It is not a scenario worth discussing or worrying about.

It really annoys me when people talk about ROI being caught between 2 warring sides. We are not caught in the middle we are firmly and actively on 1 side

It's just another Eurocynic myth that refuses to die like the EU going back to being a trade deal or Turkey joining any day now for the past decade. The UK have seriously undermined their place in the Western Alliance with their nonsense. Who are their allies? Who will side with them over Ireland? The US with its openly Irish Catholic president? China? Brazil? India? Nobody is going to pick them over the EU. It's that simple. Successive governments have hollowed out both the state and the armed forces. The days of them being a superpower ended with the war.

They've spaffed their load and agreed to carve up their own country because they were that desperate. Now, they've antagonised the paleosceptics but that's their problem. There's no way either Ireland or the EU will tolerate any significant changes beyond the framework of the already ratified agreement.

If they want, they can go trigger A16. They know it'll be a catastrophe. The Conservative party may have lost contact with reality but Whitehall has not. They know what happens once that button is pressed and it might well be their final undoing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement