Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The majority were proven to be in favour of those measures.

The majority has not been proven not be in favour of your idea. You just assumed it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If is cheaper than English medium education for the parents, there would suddenly be an interest. Grants could be used to incentivise parents. And resistance levels drop EU funding could be used.

As part of the EU's drive towards maintaining cultural heritage and so on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why would you have to find 66,000 Irish speaking qualified teachers?

There is plenty of Primary School qualified teachers who cannot find work as it is.

You train the teachers to the required level over time.

Phase 1 first five years Irish preschools Naionrai

Phase 2 all Primary Schools all state run Irish Language Medium the five years after that

Gradual phasing in of Irish Language medium at secondary school level at junior cycle - in another five years and senior sycle in the subsequent five years.

That is 20 year programme plenty of time for the Teachers to get with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can I see your budget figures and cost evaluations on this, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Because there are around 66,000 teachers currently employed in Ireland, presumably your great leap forward would need as many. Like I pointed out in another post that would mean taking every single one of 24 years worth of Leaving Cert students who sat the tests in Irish, the most likely candidates to be able to teach lessons solely through Irish, to fill those roles, not factoring in if they would get the required points for teaching or what they want as a career.

• Advertisement

Now your being facetious.As you are no doubt aware part of the tenets of the EU is protection of cultural heritage.

https://ec.europa.eu/culture/policies/selected-themes/cultural-heritage

Much like the revamping of Ireland's road infrastructure which leaned heavily on EU money to make it work over a number of decades. Developing Ireland's Irish language infrastructure could be done in the same manner.

I would argue it is far less costly than building, road and transport infrastructure. But much more valuable from an intrinstic cultural heritage standpoint.

The European Parliament agrees with me in a 2013 report above the following was stated -

'Robust educational policies are required to promote the learning and use of endangered languages.'

Again - can I see your budget figures and cost evaluations on this, please? These are not figures.

Yeah, can those ****ing people with their ****ing weird noises not just shut up and speak English like everyone else in the galaxy?

Gaelic (pronounced "Gallic") is also the word used by Scots in English to describe Gàidhlig. The musician Eamonn Doorley is married to a Gàidhlig speaker, and I recall him telling a story at a gig once about how he met an older relative of hers for the first time and she commented "I see you speak the Gaelic in Ireland too". But I've never heard an Irish person use Gaelic as the English word to describe the Irish language, except for one or two examples I've heard when people were taking the piss - and I'd describe it as "taking the piss" rather than the kind of outright hostility you see on this forum.

Sorry, but I have to part company with you there. There is a shortage of primary teachers right now. It's likely to ease over the next 7-8 years, but right now there is a lot of pressure on the system and Covid hasn't helped.

Not that it matters. Regardless of the quality or reasonableness of the ideas you put forward, the noisy Anglos will always find some excuse to say no.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

In what way do Gaelscoils help the Irish language? What studies have been done? Gaelscoils have been around long enough for proper research to have been conducted. Just because a person speaks Irish in classroom for a few years doesn't mean they will start speaking the language outside an educational setting. Irish outside the education system is the problem because the government doesn't have access to a large enough pool of Irish speakers to provide the services through Irish that Irish speakers want. You can't force people speak a language they don't want to without turning into a totalitarian state. Something no one wants.

One of the most frustrating aspects of these debates is how little research has been done. Irish has been taught in the education system for a hundred years plus at this stage. Even on this thread the future of Irish language seems to based on its use in the education system. Is this the best strategy or is does an entirely different approach need to taken?

I asked this question earlier in the thread and the answer was more or less that no research has been done. For anyone who seriously wants the language to survive and grow surely a study of the strategies both past and present should be done. Even if it uncovers some uncomfortable realities. It would a least enable some sort of fact based discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

I think that's the point though, people coming out of gaelscoils aren't going about "waving flags" our acting like loonies. It's just part of everyday learning, the way it should be.

But, in general, they don't hate the language either - the proof of the pudding is the level of 2nd generation gaelscoil children that are currently going through the system and keeping the numbers up.

That's great you're interested in Japanese, it's a hobby for you. I'm interested in Irish, not because it's a hobby but because it is part of my cultural identity. I would feel like something was missing for me personally if it wasn't there.

Kids are given exposure to many things in school and if they want to dump them afterwards that's fine too. People change their minds as well and many learners I have met have come back to it many years later because they were inspired by someone or something.

I remember meeting someone who found the 1916 GPO exhibit very important to them on their return to Irish. Someone else met a friend speaking Irish to someone else and he never knew his friend had Irish and that motivated him to look again.

Everyone has their own story when it comes to Irish and for someone @Evade vehemently picking through the posts of the people encouraging more Irish, I'm really glad you left school neither liking nor disliking the language. At least your teachers didn't "bate" the language into you nor the curriculum give you reason to launch a lazy rant at Peig, which has to be the biggest cliché going in the anti-Irish brigade of a certain age.

I totally accept and respect your stance - but the fact is not everyone feels the same way and it's totally fine to not have any affinity for the langauge.

Just on one point you made - "Kids are given exposure to many things in school and if they want to dump them afterwards that's fine too" - Id argue that if there;s to be a revival, then kids dumping the langauge when they leave school would be far from "fine", it would need to be the first issue addressed.

What makes you think no research has been done?

There are several books and many articles on this because don't forget all the universities have Irish departments focusing on language acquisition not just on the literature side.

Regarding your question on the education system - it is obvious to me that a large part of this debate relates to the education system, why wouldn't it? Look at the successes made to date. People in their 70's have "the beatings" to blame for their Irish woes, people in their 50's have Peig to blame and now these days archcritics leaving the school system only have their own apathy to blame. That's progress in my book.

Here are two links if you're interested in knowing more

One partisan - https://gaeloideachas.ie/i-am-a-researcher/

One academic - https://www.siopaleabhar.com/en/product/foghlaim-an-dara-teanga-modhanna-agus-tascanna-sa-seomra-ranga-leabhar-taighde/

The blurb on this book states: This book is a work in Irish on learning and teaching languages. It presents research from relevant academic fields, both general research and research that deals specifically with learning Irish. The book’s chapters explore aspects of the psychology of first- and second-language learning, and the basis (theoretical and practical) of various language teaching methods. Issues around the capacity of individuals to learn languages, and the processes involved in doing so, are discussed, as well as teaching methodologies which support them. Clear examples and recommendations are given to help readers understand the process of language learning and to make important decisions regarding teaching methods in different contexts.

This is where I differ from @gormdubhgorm - I totally accept that there is not going to be a "revival" in a huge swing, nor should any dramatic measure be taken to try to achieve this. "Creeping promience" to quote the title of this thread is perfectly fine with me. What is required is a critical mass. That used to be provided by the gaeltachts and that is going out with the tide.

What's happening now is much more interesting I think and one thing I particularly like about it is that it is very democratic. Let me explain. I have met many Irish speakers from counties that have had no Irish speaking tradition for a long time and I think that is absolutely wonderful and unifying (given the historical East/West split etc...) To me that is one of the major achievements of the school system, it opens doors that societal pressures want to keep closed and removes barriers to entry.

The other major change helping to restore and replenish the critical mass is the internet. It has never been easier to learn Irish because there are excellent online resources now. The professionalisation of the language thanks to the demands of translators has also had huge spin off benefits for more advanced learners as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I don't care what language you speak to your family in but ... you don't need to speak to them in Irish

Well that is big of you.

However, you claimed that in your youth you spoke Irish as well as anyone outside the Gaeltacht, so clearly you don't need to speak to your children (if you have any) in English, but you choose/chose to.

Which is fine, but it certainly isn't your decision as to whether a person from the Gaeltacht, or indeed any Irish speaker, should be denied services such as education or health in their native language.

While I can see difficulties might attach to providing health services in Irish in the wilds of Wicklow, there should be no such difficulty in doing so in at least one location in each of our main cities. We've had 100 years to organise this, and if it hasn't happened it is because the decision not to do so has been taken somewhere.

There is certainly no difficulty in providing education through Irish in every town in Ireland, for those that wish for their family to be educated through the medium of that language; as things stand, virtually every town has at least two primary schools (one for boys and the other for girls) proving the ability to do so. All that is lacking is reorganisation, so that one continues to provide education through English and the other is converted to a Gaelscoil. However the last 100 years hasn't seen this happen.

To put that in another way, there is a body of people - probably loosely organised - in places where it matters, who have decided to make life as difficult as possible for Irish speakers in the hope that we will go away.

Curiously, while this has had the effect of diminishing the size of the Gaeltacht in both physical terms and also in terms of population, the fact remains that many more people today speak Irish than were able to do so in 1921. Instead of going away, today we have a presence in every part of the country.

I always felt that the critical mass was always there - but it was like a platform people seemed to settle for. As long as no one rocked the boat or messed up the numbers, nothing bad would happen. Of course, nothign positive would happen either, but they seemed to accept that.

The language was/is never in danger of endangerment, but it was never moving forward either.

People who don't speak those langauges lead succesful, happy, fully-functioning lives.

A lot of anger here. You sure don't seem very happy.

• Advertisement

Instead of going away, today we have a presence in every part of the country.

That's huge I think. This of course also includes all counties of Ulster.

To me, this is what makes Irish different to many minority languages in Europe.

France has a dozen or so regional languages, a very different approach is taken to them than French.

However, in Ireland, we can truly say that Irish is our national language - despite valuing and communicating in English.

As long as Irish can keep its crtical mass of minority speakers - the compromise of 1922 (Irish & English) lives on and respects past and present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Thanks for that but it didn'tanswer my question. How effective are Gaelscoils at promoting Irish outside an educational setting/wider society? As I mentioned earlier in my post, when I asked earlier in the thread for evidence none was provided. On a more general point most of these threads don't reference any studies for the most part which does not help the debate from my point of view. You just end you with trench warfare that goes no where.

Even though I can't actually read your references. And to be fair your first link just links to a website, not actual research. I'm too long out of the education system and my Irish is no longer remotely good enough to be able to understand the second one, if it ever was good enough in the first place. (Again that represents an interesting problem in itself because if you print research in only in Irish you are basically preaching to the converted. To read any language in an academic context you need a very high level of fluency.) So I don't know if that deals with how Gaelscoils specifically promote Irish language use in a wider societal setting ie outside the education system. Based on the blurb in the link, it doesn't. You can have all the effective teaching methods you want with Irish but its a waste of money and time if the minute a person leaves the school gates they don't use a word of it. That time and money could be spent on other things that support the language better potentially. Again to know that you need research done.

As Deirdre mentioned there are lots of barriers here - one on their own is enough to stop "progress".

1. Inertia
    2. English is a global language
    3. Irish was a language of "poverty"
    4. Government apathy or policy of containment (depending on one's opinion)
    5. Learning any language to comfortable B2/C1 level is freaking difficult

The fact that Irish lives on and won't die out (just like this thread on boards.ie I hear you all murmering!!) is a witness to something you know. Just what is it about this language that keeps sparking interest and passion - positive and negative!

No you haven't and no I haven't.

I've no idea what you are referring to here; but if you are saying you have never posted about Irish in the past, well it must have been a different PCB.

My stance is simple: I'm all for the preservation and betterment of the langauge by any means nessecary EXCEPT mandatory Irish in schools because 1) I beleive students should choose for themsleves

Like maths and Shakespeare - one of which I liked and learned and the other I didn't like and didn't learn. And they were both mandatory in the school I attended, BTW. I didn't get to choose to do them at any level any more than I got to choose Irish.

and 2) it doesn't bloody well work! THe first one is apparently "Orwellian" and the second one seems to be the fart at the dinenr tbale everyone smalls but pretends not to notice.

Actually it does work, but it doesn't work very well because there isn't enough of it. This has been proved in international studies, as referred to earlier.

It's not a life skill for reasons pointed out at least four times: people lead succesful, happy, fully-functioning lives without Irish - prove this wrong and I'll retract the statement.

I understand that for you it's not a life skill because you don't want it to be so. But the reality is that for hundreds of thousands of Irish people it is a life skill. Probably not the 1.7 million that claim to speak it come census time, but certainly for one third to one half of that number.

Now if THAT stance makes me "geenrally contemptuous" than that's your opinion but I disagree that being "all for the preservation and betterment" of something is contemptuous.

Gimme a break, with your sort of preservation and betterment .... you'd have the Irish language in the grave in a week.

Oh, and by the way, looking at the way you have mangled the English language in that post, it won't last very long either!

Ok I understand you now. You are more interested in a sociological type of study "behaviour and attitudes".

I typed in "irish language sociological study" and there are quite a few studies there, I didn't go into the detail but you might want to if you're interested in this.

There is an interesting book you've reminded me by a UCC professor trying to get to the root cause of why some of Irish university students don't speak Irish outside of the classroom (yes, apparently this happens even at university), it's called "labhairt na gaeilge dúshláin is réitigh".

I haven't read it so I don't know the answers, but it sounds like what you're interested in.

https://www.siopaleabhar.com/en/product/labhairt-na-gaeilge-dushlain-is-reitigh/

That's an interesting point you have raised about the fact that these academic books are published in Irish. True, they limit the circulation but I don't think that's reason to believe they are only "preaching to the converted" because of it. You can tell even from this thread alone that Irish speakers are not a hivemind and I think that anyone who knows anything about Irish language academics could reassure that there is not a lack of debate and academic rigour!

I understand where you are both coming from, but I feel that would be counter-productive.

For me, the way to go is to ensure that there is a Gaelscoil in every town, at primary and at secondary level alike.

The demand will increase in line with availability. And eventually, as has happened in the Basque country, the demand for English-language education will slowly diminish as people see that children leave the local Gaelscoil with an extra life skill. Those who are afraid their child might get left behind will quickly move their children to the Gaelscoil, even if they are themselves lukewarm towards Irish, and in a generation's time or so the only ones sending their kids to an English-language school will be the people who couldn't care less about their kids' education and those who have a huge ideological bias against the language.

This might be somewhat slower than your method, but would overall cause less tension in society. Don't deny them their hissy fit, it will keep them out of our hair.

Here's a graphic showing the changes in the Basque country since 1983. It shows a huge decrease in the Spanish-language system, a huge increase in the Basque-language system, and a rise followed by stagnation in the bilingual system.

Paragraph by paragraph responses.

I do so because it's more practical to speak the dominant language, if I moved to Spain I'd learn Castilian Spanish not Basque. I've said before I found no use for Irish once school was over in theory I could have used Irish for many things but saw no reason too.

Only Irish speakers can provide those services, where are they?

Again, no one is stopping a GP or hospital from doing this.

A lack of fluent qualified teachers is stopping them. Only something Irish speakers can remedy.

I think that's a little paranoid, apathy is a much more likely reason.

There's an estimated 170,000 fluent speakers today and there were 553,000 on the 1911 census which as far as I know wouldn't be inflated by the cupla focail numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

To deirdremf -- Gaelic seems to me to be a highly suitable way to refer to the minority language under discussion.It has a long historical provenance tracing back to Goidelic ( Gwyddel etc ) It is more phonologically economical than a long-winded form like 'the Irish language'. Some of the first attempts at revival in the 19thC were mounted by the GAELIC League...with contributions from the GAELIC Athletic Association. Aodh de Blácam wrote a most important book on literature written in the language and titled it 'GAELIC Literature Surveyed'. Likewise Daniel Corkery's book 'The Hidden Ireland' was subtitled 'a study of GAELIC Munster in the 18th century'-featuring work by poets like Aogán O Rathaille ,Eoghan Rua O Súilleabháin who in my eyes are GAELIC poets to be distinguished from poets like Heaney ,Boland, Mahon ,Montague etc who are commonly termed Irish poets.

Comhaltas Ceoltoirí Eireann award medals which bear the legend ' Gael mise -nach uasal sin ?' What more natural than to dub the language spoken by Gaels - Gaelic ? I find it curious that so many Gaeilgeoirí want to disown the appellation.

To Fishdoodle and gormdubhgorm I can only say with the greatest of respect -there is a wide gulf between us and life is too short to try to address all the statements you have made and issue point by point rebuttals- much as I would relish doing so.

Well put (in all respects). I wouldn't necessarily see the relationship between input-process-output working quite as directly as you do, but I do think it provides the right mixture of opportunity and motivation to people, and I do think it could do much to broaden the appeal and use of Irish.

As I've mentioned already it's a bit of a risk posting reasonable suggestions given the extreme positions taken by those who are hostile to Irish; but all the same, someone has to act reasonably, and proportionate and balanced suggestions for change are the way to go. WADR to @[Deleted User] and @gormdubhgorm, I don't think it helps to pile compulsory measures on top of compulsory measures, but if a critical mass of people can be given the opportunity and persuaded into change, ultimately this offers the opportunity to one day remove the mandatory aspect. That'd be a positive outcome for everyone.

• Advertisement

GDG wants to take a sledgehammer to the nut, and in the process will destroy the nut.

PCB says s/he is in favour of providing choice: this is the way to provide choice (not her method of providing kids with the choice of not studying Irish at all; which would actually remove from them the choice to learn the language. They already have the choice of not learning it, by the simple expedient of not bothering to spend any time on it).

Give all parents the choice of sending their kid to a Gaelscoil, and an ever-growing minority will do so. I believe that the minority over a generation or so will turn into a majority, and we will eventually reach the stage where most kids are attending a Gaelscoil.

Interestingly enough, sometimes Irish speakers are stopped from speaking Irish in a medical setting. Only this week there was controversary about Childline and the fact that it is only provided in English for clinical accountability reasons (a valid reason in my view, but let's not go there)

You very much view languages through a narrow utilitarian lens. More speakers = better. No ready made opportunity to speak = delete. You clearly will never value any minority language, despite being schooled through one.

That's your experience and that's fine. But to misquote Wittgenstein.... "“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world.”

I may have overstated the case, but let's assume for a moment that in real life your name is Irene but every time I meet you I call you Gobnait (knowing full well what your name actually is) - well how would you feel about that?

This idea might work for pre-school, providing you were setting up a new system.

It wouldn't work at Primary level because the teachers already employed would not implement it; they would pretend to do so until they voted the government out and voted in a government that reversed the decision.

You need to set up new schools, starting from scratch, where the teachers are newly-employed staff who buy into the idea as part of the job from the word go.

Of course teachers already in the current system could swap over, but into a new, separate system. If a re-training course was provided for these teachers, it would make it easier for them to make the move. But human nature being what it is, they would have to decide to make the move, into a different system, individually and each one for her/himself.

The easyosy approach, is probably more practicable I suppose. But after over 100 years of fluting around with the Irish language. I think something radical has to be tried at this stage before it is too late. There is a latent middle ground there just waiting for a spark. As another poster said most Irish people like Irish (would not want the language lost) but are either too lazy/afraid to take practicable steps. Are people waiting for when is on it's knees completely only then only start?

I realise this is boards.ie and it has its own type of 'culture' driven by certain posters in various subjects. But the fact that threads like this get created at all, shows some have a really odd relationship or former relationship, with the Irish language. The mindset is really warped.

I would struggle to think of anything comparable for some of a nation to completely despise their own language and view it as as enveloping (when it is nothing of the sort) far, far, from it is merely a veneer. The usual 'half measures' playing to the gallery - ticking boxes. If there was real 'creeping prominence' there would have been real tangible results many decades ago. That is the real irony of this thread.

I see shite posted on boards about the Irish language that I would simply never hear in real life. I saw a woman and a small child in my local supermarket on Saturday, chatting away to each other as Gaeilge while the wee lad operated the self-scanner with varying degrees of success. I'm trying to picture some of the more "out there" contributors to the boards "culture" running down the dairy aisle after them to let them know it was all pointless and useless. 😁

But in any case, the education system is the same as any other system in society - a system that needs to operate within the parameters of society in order to be regarded as legitimate and deserving of public trust. Doubling down on compulsory learning won't work, not just for Gaeilge but for the school system generally. We do need change, though, because continuing with the same approach ain't working and won't work in the long run.

• Advertisement

How effective are Gaelscoils at promoting Irish outside an educational setting/wider society

I think that in general they are as effective in promoting Irish outside the school gates as the English-language system is in promoting English outside their school gates.

The point I am making is that these schools are primary schools that function through Irish. They ensure that their pupils reach Rang a 6 with a command of the Irish language along with whatever else the kids learn in any other school.

They are not institutions for promoting Irish outside the school day.

Even though I can't actually read your references. And to be fair your first link just links to a website, not actual research. I'm too long out of the education system and my Irish is no longer remotely good enough to be able to understand the second one, if it ever was good enough in the first place. (Again that represents an interesting problem in itself because if you print research in only in Irish you are basically preaching to the converted. To read any language in an academic context you need a very high level of fluency.)

"to be fair" you say but your comments seem totally unfair to me; I think you do a good line on complaining, maybe you should do your own research?

So I don't know if that deals with how Gaelscoils specifically promote Irish language use in a wider societal setting ie outside the education system.

As I said, they don't - that's not their function.

Try Glór na nGael, Spleodar and other similar bodies.

You can have all the effective teaching methods you want with Irish but its a waste of money and time if the minute a person leaves the school gates they don't use a word of it. That time and money could be spent on other things that support the language better potentially. Again to know that you need research done.

Personally, I can think of no better way of supporting the language than producing a body of new speakers who will retain the ability throughout their lives, if only to watch TG4 or listen occasionally to RnaG.

Regarding the time and money being spent on other things, I'm curious as to why you feel that more time and money is needed to provide education through Irish than through English? Most people seem to think that they do a good job of providing an ordinary primary education while imparting fluency in a second language too.

Well if your doctor doesn't understand you you can't get adequate treatment.

Languages are utilitarian first, everything else is just a bonus. And broadly speaking more speakers is better, it means more people to communicate with. Maybe it's because I was educated in a minority language that I don't find value in it. Granted Irish is probanly unique in that 99%+ of its speakers also speak the other national language.

I don't think that really applies to me. If I count Junior Cert German and Leaving Cert French I'm on language number five now, I have plenty to draw from.

I think if someone was doing it intentionally they're being a dick but I don't think that's a fair characterisation of Bordise using Gaelic, I still remember mixed message corrections by different teachers on carr vs gluaisteán and chuig vs go dtí.

I do so because it's more practical to speak the dominant language, if I moved to Spain I'd learn Castilian Spanish not Basque. I've said before I found no use for Irish once school was over in theory I could have used Irish for many things but saw no reason too.

That's fair enough, it's a personal choice and I have no difficulty with you exercising that choice. I would point out though that you were able to make that choice, while a great many others have been unable to make the choice owing to not having reached your ability in Irish.

Only Irish speakers can provide those services, where are they?

Again, no one is stopping a GP or hospital from doing this.

And there was me thinking that we were discussing services provided by the State, how foolish can a person get?

A lack of fluent qualified teachers is stopping them. Only something Irish speakers can remedy.

So who decided to close down the system that produced fluent, qualified teachers? I mean a decision has to be taken by someone somewhere, doesn't it?

I think that's a little paranoid, apathy is a much more likely reason.

If you study the actions of the State from the late 1940s onwards, as I have done, you would see that a clear pattern emerges, with services being withdrawn, one by one, in health, in education, in administration, in the Gardaí, until we reach the place we are at today. Apathy would have left the services in place, IMO.

There's an estimated 170,000 fluent speakers today and there were 553,000 on the 1911 census which as far as I know wouldn't be inflated by the cupla focail numbers.

I'm not sure where you get your estimated numbers from, but I believe you should read the statistics a little closer. Not all fluent speakers speak Irish every day, or even every week, owing to many of them living outside a network of Irish speakers.

Moreover, there are no stats on passive speakers - people who listen to the radio, or who watch TG4 or engage with others on the internet.

Regarding the 1911 stats, various members of my family were put down on that census as speaking Irish, great-uncles and great-aunts, and I never heard that any of them could actually speak a word of the language. So don't put too much faith in it.

You have plenty to draw from? If you say so. How's your conversational French, German, Japanese?

• Advertisement

There is a difference between "carr v gluaisteán" and "chuig v go dtí". In the former case, some people just prefer one word over the other (I use "carr"). If teachers give mixed messages for those, that's merely an expression of their preferences and they should say so (but that's a failing not confined to teachers of Irish). In the latter case, there are right and wrong ways to use the terms "go", "go dtí" and "chuig" (throw "chun" in there for good measure), and learners of Irish often mix them up. If teachers give mixed messages for those, there's a possibility they're making a b****x of the grammar, and they're not supposed to do that.

Well put (in all respects). I wouldn't necessarily see the relationship between input-process-output working quite as directly as you do, but I do think it provides the right mixture of opportunity and motivation to people, and I do think it could do much to broaden the appeal and use of Irish.

Yes, of course, you are right - it doesn't follow that the same would happen in Ireland as has happened in the Basque country; however surveys have shown that a quarter of parents would send their children to a Gaelscoil if one was available to them, and this is in fact the case in Galway city. AFAIK demand continues to rise in Galway. It will be interesting to see where they will level off.

So whatever the final outcome might be, we can be fairly certain that there is huge pent-up demand for such a service, and it is in the nature of things that when something becomes available and popular, demand often grows. But while I do agree that it isn't necessarily the case that we would end up with a majority of kids attending a Gaelscoil, I feel that there is a very good chance that this would happen.

I am still surprised what you said about the primary school teachers. Maybe what I was basing it on has changed. Where the young primary teachers could only get sub work etc.

Thanks for that. I do think that Gaelscoileanna suffer from the same inertia issues as non-faith schools. The system is built around local patronage and management, which is primarily English-based. It is tricky if not impossible to switch languages (as it is with ethos), so Gaelscoileanna only appear when the Minister is considering patronage of new schools. But new schools are only a tiny fraction of the total, and over the next few years the number of new primary schools being opened is going to dwindle because of demographic factors. We can seek to have further new schools built to overcome that, or we can seek to incentivise school managements and communities to switch, but either course of action costs money, which might not be available.

The reason I qualified French and German is I don't really use them either but I get bits and pieces when I watch something that has either. Japanese is low middling, I don't get a lot of chances to converse. I started in 2018 and skipped the 2019 JLPT window and haven't been able to take one since because of Covid. I scored well on the N4 practice test when I took it so I'm planning to skip straight to N3 in December 2022 if I stop slacking off on learning kanji.

The 170,000 estimate comes from Ethnologue via Wikipedia.

so Gaelscoileanna only appear when the Minister is considering patronage of new schools.

Yes, that is currently the situation. It remains to be seen whether a hypothetical change of governing party might bring about a change. Ó Snodaigh would certainly be up for it, and his leader's kids attend a Gaelscoil,so who knows?

Teacher numbers expanded significantly in recent years, partly because of government decisions and partly because of rising pupil numbers (that curve is about to switch direction). Add in the extra number of teaching posts assigned to schools because of the pandemic, and some extra retirements probably also related to the pandemic, and we now have teacher supply issues. It's quite common at the moment to hear school managements and principals complaining about being unable to find staff and subs. The colleges can only do a certain amount, and results of that effort can take 4-5 years to materialise. It should ease off gradually in the next few years, but because pupil numbers in primary will fall and numbers in post-primary will rise, all that will do is transfer the problem from one part of the system to another.

Post-primary teachers still have it tough in the first few years of their careers - although you're more likely to land a full-time permanent job if you teach Maths, Physics, Home Economics, or Irish. English and History are a different matter.

I don't remember the specifics any more but it did seem it was some of the teachers putting their regional variances ahead as the "correct" Irish

You should get stuck into the Japanese if you're into the culture. It's like looking into a hedge for me, but a workmate of mine is fluent and he says it has opened up his understanding of the place and the people to an unbelievable extent. I've school French, and I'm also no slouch, but there's not a chance I could use it in conversation without a fair bit of remedial study.

• Advertisement
Advertisement