Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement rings

Options
  • 07-11-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Looking for advice on selecting an engagement ring. A novice to it all. When looking at the 4 c’s of carat, colour, cut and clarity, what should I not sacrifice on? What specification would you recommend under each for an oval cut diamond. Many thanks

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Moved to the Weddings forum where you should get some helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The cut is the most important, if its cut well it will sparkle.

The carat is not important, I got a .79 carat the cut was Very good.

The cut you want Very Good or Excellent.

The clarity anything from VS2 up.

The colour aim for G-J up (Near colourless)

Id almost put carat last on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Thanks so much!

has anyone gone to Dubai or Antwerp for rings? Would it be recommended?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sugarman20

I can highly recommend Harold Phillipe in Antwerp. He was great to deal with and you get much better value over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm genuinely surprised that one of the four C's isn't "cost".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Consider "man made" rather than mined diamonds. Carot size was the last thing we looked at. Went for cut/clarity/colour we found that "man made" had a bigger selection of higher quality diamonds at the ready. They are cheaper than mined diamonds too. Explore all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I got a nice ring on etsy with an unusual stone since the gf was mostly against mined diamonds. Lab gem stones are much better for the world.

Advertisement