Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,772 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Speaking of aspect jealousy and seeing the numbers.

What's the ideal aspect and slope?

I'm on a mountain with land to spare so won't have any shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

South facing and possibly a 50 deg slope I would have thought

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you are going for a ground mount system, make sure you get an adjustable angle mount. This will allow you to maximise output during summer and winter. Something like this:

https://youtu.be/3G8qpb7Ppv4?t=163

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Net metering.... 🤬 our government

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I took it offline by PM as requested, but I would observe that data for the sake of data is pointless. May as well have sidebars without taking up entirely new threads.

Summer is over. The last few days have seen either consumption about equalling production, or even some net exports. Overall net import is half of what it was the previous two months.

Again, 11.5kW system, central Texas.

Overall, the summer period has definitely 'saved' me money, when one considers what I paid last year, compared to what I paid this year between electricity bill and solar installation payment. However, again, it was an incredibly cool summer, which has completely murdered both consumption and production. We'll see closer to the end of the year, but I'm thinking I'm actually going to end up producing less than the 'guaranteed minimum' from the solar company. (They take the first three years and average out, though, just to make sure an unusual year isn't over-emphasised)

Post edited by Manic Moran on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That's not a measure which seems important around here, interestingly. Here the more referred to rating is the 'independence from grid' figure. Kindof other ends of the same spectrum. One is based as a portion of production, the other as a portion of consumption.

The one can be seen as a measure of personal inefficiency. If you have a low self-use rate, then your system is too powerful for your needs and unless you get good money from ESB for exported electricity, it's a financial waste. If your self-use rate is 100%, it implies you may require more panels. If it's 40%, ESB probably loves you, but hey, you're at least helping save the planet, I guess.

'Independence from grid" works the other way. You can produce 200% of your needs, but if it's produced at the wrong time, there's a possible concern. Let's say your main consumption is at night but your main production is at daytime, the amount you have exported is irrelevant, you will have a low independence from grid percentage because it reflects not 'how much of your energy did you make', but 'how much of your energy did you use at the time you needed it'. If there is a 'low independence from grid' but you are producing about as much as you need, then it's an indicator that you may need to look at a battery, unless you get excellent credit for exported energy which equals the cost of import (such as is the case here in San Antonio).

The other reason to look at IFG is if you're wondering if you can survive in a power cut with what you produce. Anything less than 100% if you have a battery will be 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

2.5kW louth 130 for month best day 7.8 on 5/10 worst day 1.3 on 27/10

Total since install 1610kW in April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Sorry to hijack the thread, can someone in the know explain to me what is shown here? Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It is an export meter, and shows how much your system has generated since installation. i.e. 6527.2kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

October Stats - galway

TOTAL 7.2kWp (4.3 south/2.88 west ) - Total production 420.3 KWH

4.3 Kwp (3.6 inverter) S/SW array -- 260.3 Kwh

2,88 Kwp (2.5 inverter) West array -- 160 Kwh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Thanks so much, is there any way to make some use of it? Apologies again, feel free to direct me to a different thread with the question :) also how do people on this thread know their numbers? Is there something I should buy/install to know the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

October ‘21

117.9kwh

Best 9.3 (Oct 1st)

Worst 0.4 (Oct 27th) 😳

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Midlands

4.1kWp SW, 3.3kWp NE

1000kW imported (Two EV household)

255.6kWh Generated

233.7kWh consumed

151kWh to Eddi

0kWh to Zappi

Highest was 1st, 15.9kWh

Lowest was 27th, 2.1kWh

19% self sufficient for month

Monthly cash saving based on average daily load and all non-load items like dishwasher/washing machine/immersion at night rate, €23.77

Savings is also less this month (apart from PV generation reduction) due to move to EV Energia which has a very low night rate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Did you have any export? (Although I'd say the eddi sucked up any excess.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

21.9kWh, there's always micro exports throughout the day before EDDI etc can kick in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭paddyirish23

Hi all,

I'm getting the house upgraded for solar panels soon and was wondering if it's worth asking the lad to install a 2nd battery? Even if it's only used in the summer months is it worth having? Looking at the 6kwh with a 4.8 battery. Avg yrs units are 6.4k

• Registered Users Posts: 45,470 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You'll get more replies if you put it in the battery thread I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 45,470 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Oct 2021.

5.7 kWp SW,Galway.

Generated 309.3kWh

Best day 9th 23kWh

Worst day 26th 1.1kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭scooterdoyle

new to threads lads and ladies

loving the stats and comments etc

working myself up to a self install of a 6 kW SYSTEM, TO GRID, NO BATTERY STORAGE.

can anyone advise me on good quality panels and inverter

ive been told by a electrician that you really need to get the good quality panels as it makes a big difference in terms of production and lifetime

what are the "Gold medal A class panels" and are they worth the extra shekels??

what's considered "middle of road"

and....

what should be avoided....!!!!!!!

💡👊...power to the people..........

( sorry , i couldn't resist....🤪)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Panels are much of a muchness, the spark is talking toot I'd say.

They're the cheapest part of any system and chances are you'll upgrade before they're done anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah what DrPhil said, but for a 6kw system you should probably look into batteries or you'll end up exporting a lot unless you can use it as it comes.

Top tier panels would be the LG ones but makes absolutely 0 sense for the price when panels half the cost would give you as much power.

Qcells are good too and can allegedly boost up to 10% over their W rating, other decent ones seem to be Trina, Longi, REC, Jinko and probably many, many more.

Anyone have any reports on what a 10kW or 12kW system might produce at this time of year? Thanks.

It depends on a lot of factors. However, this is reasonably accurate, run the numbers for yourself. https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en/pvgis

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

6kWp system, SSE facing (155 deg), Co. Kildare installed Monday 15th.

Cloudy all week. Yesterday was the worst - blue sky overhead, blue sky to the north, east and west from 10am to 1pm but a dark cloud stayed right on top of the sun all that time. Generated 2.4kWh on 3 of the days, not even enough to charge the battery. Couple of times the sun did peek through - this morning was the best - it was generating over 4Kw but then clouded over again before 12 o'clock when it should peak.

Reminds me of the time I put in one of those Intex pools outside - heater, canopy the works. Rained for 6 weeks solid from the time I filled it to the time I threw it out in disgust!!

Renewbie - a 10kW/12kW system will produce loads, I'm sure...unless you live too near me! I would say max 4-5kWh on cloudy days in November. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, I live in hope.

But I would recommend anyone who installs around this time of year waits until March before joining this thread or checking the apps...every 5 seconds. Not good for my mental health!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Don't fret the system is perfect it just a timing thing. Look at it this way, you are generating something not nothing. Now step away from the app and go shout at the birds who are shixxing on your panels instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

What is happening? 2 days in a row such a nice curve. The sun is not that high and PV cannot reach full potential but this is beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Agreed. At Dublin latitude the sun is only 16.5 deg above the horizon at noon which means it hitting my panels with a pretty high "slant angle" .....but all things considered, I'll take 5Kwhr generated at this time of the year.

My array is E/W facing with East 1.4 / West 3.8 - hence why I get a higher production after lunch.

(Thursday at the moment looks good - according to Met Eireann)

Indeed. Much needed lift after a gloomy couple of weeks.

27.7kWh generated between yesterday and today. 🌞🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

Cracking two days for late November 22.5 kWh today and 21.4 yesterday. Makes me miss the summer more 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Thats it for another month, terrible day today in Galway.

2.5 Kwp south facing.

Total for month is 120 KWH.

Best day 4/11 was 9.6 kwh

Worst day was 28/11 .7 kwh.

Advertisement