Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which crisps are the best crisps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Nik Naks...No other crisp or cornsnack compares...except for maybe scampi fries...

http://www.kpsnacks.com/assets/images/brands/niknaks.png

Nik Naks are nice enough but the Tayto Crun Chos (hot dog flavour) were much crunchier!:)

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Johnny onion rings are always good, going to get some tomorrow.

Some onions rings have a smooth texture which I find are not as flavoursome as the ones with the rough edges, for some reason.

I find that Perri onion rings tend to have that smooth texture, the same as the Jonnie onion rings, but that the bags of Onion Rings from SuperValu have that nice crunchy rough texture and have a nicer flavour, a more oniony salty flavour than the Perri and Jonnie brands, but perhaps a bit greasier.

Tesco had big bags of onion rings - I got them before Christmas, similar to the SuperValu ones - which I considered quite delicious!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Pringles
    Taytos
    Doritios
    Mccoys
    Walkers
    Quavers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

Keogh's Shamrock & Sourcream
    O Donnell's Cheese & Onion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ghosties, bacon flavoured..very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

What about Hula Hoops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

kfallon wrote: »
    Used to love Alien Spacers and Meanies too
    Turpentine wrote: »
    Meanies all the way.

Got to say it's hard to pass off the big bag of Meanies in the supermarket so there's generally a few packets in my cupboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pringles; Texas BBQ or Sour Cream & Onion.

Irish brands; Kings easily.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hula Hoops are awesome (except salt & vinegar, but I don't like s&v on anything)

There's also the tayto version of the walkers sensations. Bistro, I think they're called. The cheese and onion flavour is super, but you'll stink afterwards, it's like if you imagine your breath after a regular old pack of cheese and onion, then multiply it by around 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

So many people are mentioning King Cheese and onion! I've always found that they smell like feet and taste like armpit! Don't hurt me....

A cheese and onion crisp I do like - Pom Bears. I know they're for kids, but damn they're good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I like the own brand stuff at m&s, or kettle chips. Pringles are also ok. I can't stand tayto, kings etc, the smell really puts me off and the flavours are too strong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Get Real

Having always been a strong tayto and king man, I feel guilty in saying I may have found a new favourite.

While in a popular sports bar in Dublin, I was horrified that they didn't have either of the brands above to go with my cold beer.

However, I wasn't fussy, and took whatever they had- O'Donnells cheese and onion.

wow. wow. amazingly crunchy, flavoursome and satisfying. I see them now popping up in Spar etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm glad to see so many people mentioning O'Donnells cheese and onion. The college shops stocks them here and I'm addicted. Tayto, walkers etc. all seem so bland and flavourless in comparison.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Rancheros yet.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

When I was in australia there were the most amazing crisps in the vending machine in the canteen where I worked. I can't remember the brand, but they were honey soy chicken flavour. They were out of this world! If I'd been thinking smart, I'd have shipped a big box of them home, so I could have weaned myself off them gradually, rather than the cold turkey shock I got when I arrived back to find they didn't sell them anywhere here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

O'Donnell's Jalapeno & Sour Cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Dunnie1982

1. O'Donnells Cheese and Onion
    2. King Cheese and Onion
    3. Walkers Max Cheese and Onion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

King Gold Standard Wexford Vintage Cheddar Cheese & Spring Onion, King Gold Standard Leo Burdock's salt & vinegar flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There used to be a Perri Pub Crisp, nicest cheese n onion crisp ever. I heard there is no market any more for the oul "pub" crisp anymore.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

There used to be a Perri Pub Crisp, nicest cheese n onion crisp ever. I heard there is no market any more for the oul "pub" crisp anymore.:(

The secret ingredient was extra salt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

eternal wrote: »
    I think it's a Tayto sandwich pop up emulating the one up north.
    Yeah, i've just come across it here, yer wan Eva Longoria missed out on that as when i heard her on the LLS, she couldn't believe there was a Mr Tayto :)
    She even mentioned them on Seth Myers :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had a packet of 'Hot Lips' there and they weren't great

Yet another Perri to Tayto changeover that's disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hot Lips are **** now. They're incredibly bland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Bikers. Amazing. Haven’t seen them in years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’m old enough to remember when Hot Lips had Dirk Benedict’s mug, Face from A-Team, on the bag complete with the white corvette.

Dunnes Salt & Vinegar own brand posh crisps are sensational. They’re so salty that can actually feel your systolic blood pressure rising as you snaffle through the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Have to say my favourite at the moment is O Donnell's cheese and onion. Decent enough crisp.

Since tayto have taken over a few of the traditional brands ie. Meanies, banshee bones etc. they are gone very bland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Cheetos when I can get my hands on them. Got a few bags of Jalepno Cheetos in Stale or Stolen (Breathnachs) in Tallaght last month. Jesus they were divine! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Has anyone tried the new ‘Cheesatees’ from Taytos?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Current favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Barbeque beef hula hoops are the GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭storker

King/Tayto Cheese & Onion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Only improved by being squashed between two slices of super-fresh Brennan's white bread and soft butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Roll over Jamie Oliver and tell Gordon Ramsay the news!

Nordie Tayto Cheese and Onion. Clearly.

When in France Lays Bolognese crisps are the first thing into the trolley. Well the first non-alcoholic thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭honeyjo

I love crisps.

Tesco own brand onion rings

Tesco own brand bacon fries

Tesco Finest Sea Salt and White Wine Vinegar

M&S Honey Roast Ham crinkle cut crisps

Crunchy Cheetos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Old thread. Crun-chos have definitely been mentioned. Screw it, they deserve a mention on every page!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I was in a supermarket in France a few years ago and came across a snack called Belin Croustilles that were IDENTICAL in shape and texture to our departed Crun-chos. Nik Naks are the closest thing we have to them now I suppose

https://www.frenchclick.co.uk/p-4303-belin-croustilles-emmental-90g.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The best:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I don't eat that much crisps anymore, it always makes me a little sad when I have a pack of something I useta love as a youngster, and when I taste them now they are either changed a lot (see McCoys, Perri) or are just plain nasty (Hunky Dory's, Tayto's)

King Cheese & Onion are still decent.

Pringles are fine.

Skips have stayed more of less intact.

Somebody else's poll 👇

https://www.dailyedge.ie/best-irish-crisps-950791-Jun2013/

The accountants and food scientists operating out of Tayto HQ are absolute monsters. Every brand they produce is declining in taste and quality.

There really is a gap in the market for a new crisp company producing premium deep-fried corn snacks. Loaded with msg and E numbers. Proper meanies, monster munch, bikers, and, of course, the triumphant return of the legendary crunch-chos

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Sam Spuds Smoky Bacon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Ballymaloe O'Donnells are my current guilty pleasure but love all kinds of crisps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Banshee bones. I shall accept no discussion on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mysteriouschic1

Tayto - Cheese and Onion

Sensations -Thai Sweet Chilli

Mccoys- Flame Grilled Steak / Cheese and Onion

Very disappointed with the relaunch. Poor texture and lacking in flavour. The move from deep fat frying to air frying was a disaster for corn snack aficionados.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

in these difficult times one must be grateful for the pleasures that are available. the past is gone and no amount of lamenting will bring it back. Banshee Bones are a superior snack in a terrible world and we should all be grateful that they exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭SourSessions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Marina O'Loughlin in her Plate of the Nation, Sunday Times 31 October does a review of Black Truffle Hand Cooked Potato Crisps from Waitrose.

She starts off "Spanish crisps are the world's greatest. This is not a discussion. The now familiar Torres brand is the gateway drug to a world beyond salt'n'vinegar, and its truffle and jamon iberico varieties are justifiably famous: gorgeous indulgence"

Later in the article "Meanwhile Torres's success hasn't gone unnoticed here. Tyrrells has added truffle to its line-up (disappointing), and now here's Waitrose with a seasonal offering. Also disappointing" And later "Torres crisps are a dangerously addictive luxury".

Makes me want to try them, if they can be got in Ireland.

Advertisement