Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shops/Businesses in Bray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree. I think its a bad mistake if this is the model they are going for. I cant see another bowling alley lasting either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Online shopping is taking over from bricks & mortar shops so, entertainment businesses are the way forward, just my opinion :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Many would say that a lot of entertainment has moved online too.

So is entertainment. Streaming/downloading new movies. Even the Oscars now have very Big Blockbusters

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I know its not quite Bray but worth mentioning. The food truck at Glen o the downs is fab.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Especially now, after so many lockdowns, people want to get out & about to have "experiences".

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People will still want to go to the cinema which people have been saying is doomed since the invention of VCRs. I don't understand your point about the oscars and blockbusters though.

Anyhow the point is that people complain about the amount of coffee shops and restaurants in Bray when they should be embracing them as they are the future and what will attract people.

There will always be clothes shops so some decent new stored in Bray Central will be welcome as Bray needs improvements but there's no way the rest of the town is going to fill its units with normal shops selling products and it's going to be services from now on and I think Bray should double down on this and get better quality restaurants,not just burgers, curry and steak and attract people to the town that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭ssaannee1980

It still feels like nothing has been done at the shopping center since they removed the crane and announced the January physical completion date :/

Just because there's no visible exterior work on the street to see, does not mean that nothing is happening.

Wicklow Co Co said somewhere on twitter that when crane is gone that the large holes left behind need to be filled. I'd say there's lots of work going with underground car park too as that's supposed to open first.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The last time I seen any activity on the site was about 10 days ago or so. Cement trucks pouring concrete into the car park.

• Advertisement

Above post was response to Murpo99's post today.

On another note, I see that The Curry Leaf is opening back up soon enough. I taught the food their was lovely before lockdown.

Terry Pratchet

Duffs reopened under Duggans too.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is good. It will generate some badly needed revenue and hopefully will get a bit of a buzz about the place going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I heard, from what I would consider a reliable source, that construction will begin for a new pub on the site of the old Vevay Inn in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Great, will be nice to have that site used again. However will be interesting to see how much business 2 pubs will do in that close proximity.

I know there were 2 pubs in the past, but I think it's harder to survive in that business now than it was 10-20 years ago.

Walked by the Town Centre this morning and seen a fair bit of activity on the site not related to the underground car park. Hopefully the site is back to full operation now.

I noticed this yesterday too! Great to see at last!

Theres no planning application for it so doesnt look likely at all

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Update on Bray Website confirming that construction is now at full tilt and an announcement is due shortly regarding the anchor units in the development. 

https://www.bray.ie/bray-central-were-back/

Great news! Long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if it's not Penneys there's going to be riots on the streets of Bray!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

Well, at least that would be a type of 'footfall'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

Not Bray per se but a Bray headquartered business (even though they are now owned by Easons) but Dubray are opening 2 new stores 1 in Cork and the other in Dundrum both due to be opened before xmas (Cork I believe opening first)

I see the scaffolding is down on the right side of the new Bray Town Centre facing the main street and it's looking well!

The site gates were open the other day as the contractors were working on the paths / walkways. Its coming along well.

A lot of activity on the site this morning. The busiest I have seen it since the construction work re-started.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RTE news : Penneys to create 700 jobs in €250m investment

is the new Penneys on Main Street in Bray actually happening? There was no mention of it in this article today that confirms new or enlarged/relocated stores for Tallaght, Cork, Carlow and Galway in the next couple of years.

Hasnt been confirmed. At this stage I think Oakmount/Pressup are pure bluffers.

Post edited by Annasopra on

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

How are Oakmount bluffers when they have never said that Penney's are coming to Bray? Getting a retailer giant like that is very complex and is influenced by many factors and not just having a building.

I see Penney's have not yet confirmed were all the retail jobs are going so I wouldn't rule it out yet.

Advertisement