Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

I went for the smaller one but kinda sorry i didn't go bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

GoMo with regular 6 and it's absolutely fine for me (4g SIM).

I think someone mentioned issues changing to and from 5g a while back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've long suspected that the wool has been pulled over our eyes in terms of charging speeds on the Pixel 6 series, observing the so called 30W charging speeds on the Pixel 6 Pro are not close to the OnePlus charger of the same description.

This appears to confirm that the charging is far less than we expected

The fact that Google are openly selling us a charger plug for £25 as an add on when you buy the phone that they advertise up to 30W charging but none of their devices can actually charge up to that level, at best is very disappointing

I've literally spent £25 on a charger that I didn't need in the first place as my other chargers would have been no slower, and I've also been duped into thinking that the phone can charge quicker than it actually does.

The article above sums it up nicely

It’s hard not to be disappointed by the fast charging capabilities of the Google Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro. Especially given Google’s tacit suggestion that its new phones charge faster than ever before thanks to the new 30W power adapter. While not an outright lie, Google’s literature is certainly disingenuous about the phones’ capabilities.

The carefully worded official line cited in this article’s opening paragraph has, intentionally or not, duped customers and the press (ourselves included) into believing the Pixel 6 series supports much more powerful charging than it actually does. In reality, Google’s latest flagships offer only marginal improvements to charging speeds, saving mere minutes of time compared to the company’s previous implementation.

The fingerprint reader being slow is just a case of Google skimping, this thing here is much worse because their product spec implies 30W speeds and not only that, but when buying a phone directly from them, they literally asked me would I like any accessories and listed the charge plug as 30W as well.

To be honest that's close to it for me, I'm on the verge of sending it back at this point. I'll go back to my OnePlus 8 Pro with it's fast charging, brighter screen, better fingerprint reader and more user friendly software for a bit longer until something better comes along that ticks all the boxes and doesn't try and pull the wool over peoples eyes. I've learnt my lesson about pre-ordering phones now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just tried out the Astrophotography mode for the first time and noticed what looks to be smudges on the lense/glass. Have tried cleaning but it's no different and the same pattern appears on all astrophotos. Worth sending back for a replacement?

These are 2 different photos with the same markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Scorp8397

Here lads just a heads-up. Friend of mine sold his pixel 6pro without opening. When he went to claim his headphones he was asked to submit a screenshot of the phone with imei showing. By that time the phone had already switched hands.

So if you want to sell it just make sure to turn the phone on and take one screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He's one I took last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

• Registered Users Posts: 32 wellysbw

Ya I'm keeping my 6, but Im still using my oneplus until my cover comes for the pixel. Took a picture with the oneplus of the IMEI on the pixel and it wouldn't accept it. It had to be a screenshot from the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Scorp8397

The buyer already sold the phone to another seller after one day of use. So nobody is getting the headphones.

Anyone else have a delay in the case being shipped it was supposed to be with me two days ago and it's only now the DHL shipping number is finally working.

On the positive tomorrow I'll be able to register for the headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Yep,mine despatched 2 days ago apparently but tracking number does not work

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looking at the Google Store orders page, my case went from being due sometime this week to "Your delivery was delayed. We're working to get it to you soon and will email you when it's on its way."

I'm in no big panic as phone won't be delivered until end of the month if I'm lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

+1 for signal dropping. Pixel 6 on 3 billpay 4g. I'm in a poorish area for signal but it is unstable in ways that my S10 just wasn't.

Also fingerprint issue remains, cannot register a fingerprint since Nov 5th security update having had them setup before, software issue rather than the unit.

It's a known issue according to forums so hopefully fixed soon.

Will give it a week and if not will sell the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

They use ultra slow DHL ecommerce shipping for the cases. Mine took a week to show up in tracking and another week to arrive.

I'm confused (as usual 😅)

Do we have to wait for the new phone to arrive before trying to redeem the headphones?

The website they send you too asks for a screenshot of the IMEI1 number but doesn't say if this can be from my current phone.

Yes, you need the Pixel 6 IMEI to get approved

Thanks, guess I'll just have to be patient for awhile longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got a Pixel 6 from Vodafone. First pixel device, have come from an S10. First impressions are good, I'm enjoying the bigger screen and the lack of curved edges (I had issues with the s10 picking up my thumb if I held device in a certain way). The bluetooth seems to connect much quicker than the s10 and oddly my fingerprint scanner is working flawlessly and very quickly too.

I was toying with the idea of getting a case, but I find that cases actually nick my fingers (the way I hold it means that the phone sits on my pinkie, the cut-out for the power cable annoys me).

Regarding charging - it's definitely not as fast as the S10. Not terribly slow, but not terribly fast either. I do find it gets very hot when charging though - wired or wireless. Anyone else have this?

Yes it gets pretty warm while charging, but shouldn't be an issue. https://twitter.com/andreif7/status/1456976419888762892

The official Google case is very soft so might be worth trying out if you want the protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh actually - I think pixels are always unlocked with Vodafone - does anyone know for certain?

I'm confused about 5G too, the quality seems to vary wildly depending on where I am, even when the signal coverage is the same (e.g. at home I have full coverage and I get speeds comparable to 4G, at my parent's house I had full coverage and got speeds of 300-400MB/s down). The lad in VF store said that the 5G network is still patchy and is coming on stream over time though, so I guess that's it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

Same for me, GoMo is working fine. 5G isn't available as Eir don't support the Pixel phones regardless of the bands they claim to work, Google acknowledge this on their own site - https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/10082009?hl=en

I've noticed the phone (6) gets quite warm while using the GPS for navigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

can anybody recommend a good screen protector for the 6 - IM using hte official google case for the phone. I have up until now always used a leather wallet type of case for my mobile phones and this case just feels a bit less secure that what Im used to, so if had the screen protector might be a bit safer feeling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I can't recommend one, but I can give you one to avoid. I bought one from Amazon by a manufacturer called AnnhanT. And the under screen fingerprint reader didn't work with it applied. There are lots of no-name generic screen protectors out there though, so I would guess they are mostly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭pandabat

Normally use protectionfilms24.com for screen protectors. Have some from them (branded Brotect, I think) for the Pixel 6 but am still to receive the phone. Looks like there's a chance it might actually come tomorrow so can better report on their efficacy then

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Did anyone receive a customs charge of €10.30 when ordering a case from the google store? I assumed this wouldn't be liable for customs as the phone and charger I ordered weren't. Received the letter in the post this morning, completely ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

No. Should be no reason for this as long as you ordered from the Irish Google store as it's shipped within the EU.

Exactly what I was thinking. At no point in the tracking was it in the UK. Shipped from Germany. They can send it back if they're looking for an extra 10 on top of 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭TheRona

You didn't order from the UK google store? If not, there shouldn't be any customs.

No definitely the Irish store. They can send it back now, I'll pick up one elsewhere. Is there any indication of a software fix for the fingerprint scanner slowness ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

google are saying its slower because its more secure... have you tried the setting to improve touch sensitivity for screen protectors.. im not using a screen protector but turned it on... read an article last week it helps make it faster.. i find mind generally is ok if i hold my finger long enough

Advertisement