Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO most of the ready meals in Aldi (and Lidl) are fairly poor. Can't really think of one I'd recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The Dublin meat company ones that Lidl are stocking are absolutely fantastic and unlike most ready meals, are healthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Spotted a breaded whiting in the fresh fish (not frozen) section today - had only even seen breaded cod and haddock. Has anyone tried it? Think it was gluten free too?

The lightly dusted cod has been thin on the ground lately, hope they are not phasing it out, it's lovely!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Think it was Muhaahaha that recommended the lemon and parsley coated sole fish, delicious!

Got in from a call out at work last night to find the wife and kids chomping on, what I can only describe as mini magnums, only these were chocolate orange flavour. Oh lord, these are good. They'll no doubt do wonders for my (to Christmas) eating plan. Lol

The paella from the freezer makes a perfectly acceptable handy dinner/lunch

On that, "Flahavans jumbo oats" make as good a porridge as I've had in years, I make mine in a saucepan, one part oats to 3 parts water. Boil it up for 10/15 minutes on a really low heat, and you've a creamy breakfast that will definitely keep you going for 4 hours or so.

On the not so healthy breakfast products though, the kids let me try some "cheesy hash browns" this morning. I could easily munch through 4/5 of them unsupervised/watched. They're goddam tasty 😂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Those frozen lemon sole are the one thing I would go to Aldi specially for, I love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Word is out on the Pad Thai kits. Had to ruffle through six boxes to get some today (other flavors were overflowing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone tried the njdua sausage yet? How spicy is it? 😋

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Haven't seen hide nor hair of it in Terenure for months now. Price point is gone too so I have to assume it's been discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

I've 6/7 in the cupboard, I always grab a few if they're in stock. They're the kind of product that just stops all of a sudden so I'm taking no chances.

The red Thai curry is nice too. Its "mild" but far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

They were down the aisle where the naan bread/tomato puree/pot noodles/herbs and spices were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭54and56

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tried the pad thai meal kit last night and while it was nice enough the sauce misses the mark on that authentic pad thai flavour.

Looking at the sauce ingredients and comparing it to the recipe Id normally use it has sugar and tamarind paste but it uses soya bean oil instead of soy sauce and it doesnt have any fish sauce in it at all which is a key ingredient to get umani flavour.

It was still nice (I did it with king prawns, egg, spring onion and birds eye chillies) but to me the flavour wasnt proper pad thai. Its a bit annoying as I was hoping it would be authentic and solve the problem of always needing a new jar of tamarind paste every time I want to make pad thai, it only seems to last a few weeks once opened even when stored in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I buy tamarind extract. It's very concentrated and lasts, literally, years in the cupboard. Ingredients : tamarind, water. Current brand is TRS, but I've had others. Asian shops.

• Advertisement

Anyone who likes fish should give these a try. I love the Tomato and Herb Trio Seafood Bake. Nice fresh fish and good seasoning.

They also have a "white sauce" version which I tried and thought was horrible, just really bland but of course my taste buds will differ from yours.

IIRC they are about €4.50 a pop but worth it IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Did anybody notice issues with Aldi potatoes recently? I've had four bags over the last six weeks that have gone mouldy within a day or two of purchase and well before best before dates. I've never had issues before and have bought from Lidl and Dunnes during the same time so I don't think it's a storage problem. I've tried two different local Aldi and have bought both Rooster and Maris Pipers. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Just seeing this now, thanks, must look out for that

Ive a bag of roosters in the press for the last week and no problems so far. By any chance do you have onions nearby? I only found out recently that onions emit a gas that turns potatoes much quicker and I think it was probably the culprit for my spuds growing sprouts too quickly in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Thanks for replying. That might be a good theory as I store them beside red onions. I'll separate them and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭robnet77

Wow wow wow.

Yesterday I had the seasoned lamb burger with citrus and chilli, I made it into a kebab by cutting it in half (it's very thick) when it was fully cooked (well done), in a pitta bread with melted grated mozzarella, roasted garlic mayo (from Lidl), a bit of fine ketchup, thinly sliced carrots and cherry tomatoes, everything stuffed into the pitta.

This was by far the best "kebab" I've had in Ireland, on par with some pork kebabs I had in Cyprus.

It's 3.99 for two burgers but I'll have it again and again, I'm just afraid it may be a seasonal product.

Post edited by robnet77 on

Wow, that sounds delicious! I will definitely try to reproduce this, thanks!

Sounds great, is this in the fresh or the frozen sections?

Also top tip for red kebab sauce from the kebab thread in the Cooking Club forum- mix 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup with 3 tablespoons of water then one teaspoon of chilli powder and one teaspoon of mint sauce and a pinch of salt. You can adjust it to your taste with more chilli powder and water to make the sauce thinner if you want. That makes a red kebab sauce which is identical to the one kebab shops use and it gives a kebab a nice chill kick without being too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭robnet77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Aldi had pouches of cooked chestnuts in the run up to Christmas in the last few years. Has anyone seen them yet? They are delicious and such a simple way to take autumn and winter dishes up a notch!

What way would you use chestnuts, in a dish or just on their own? Theres a rake of them sitting on the grass under a tree near me

Yeah, I'd like to know how to use them too. I think they might be good with brussels sprouts?

If it is a horse chestnut you can't eat them, I'm afraid.

They are brilliant with Brussel sprouts! I sweat a shallot and some bacon lardons then add the chestnuts and toss the lightly cooked sprouts in the mix. They are also great in casseroles. We had a venison sausage casserole recently that included chestnuts and chestnut mushrooms. They are also great in nut roasts. Another option is to fry them briefly with some lardons and serve them on top of lamb's lettuce. There are loads of possibilities!

• Advertisement

Ooh, some great ideas there, I was going to mention bacon too, but that nut roast idea sounds good! TY!

I presume they are the ones we also know as conkers? I think thats them that are near my house. Im also figuring its why there have been deer hanging around the place at night time for the last few weeks, every time I walk the dog around midnight theres a couple of deer out there near the horse chesntut trees and the dog goes wild trying to break the lead to get to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Yes Horse Chestnuts are commonly called conkers, and are plentiful over here. Mildly poisonous, so please don't attempt to eat them

Sweet Chestnuts (a different species of tree) also grow here, though don't produce as much fruit, have a very different leaf.

Please don’t eat the conkers or chestnuts you commonly find in Ireland. You will get sick. Edible chestnuts have a totally different shape. So, as usual, if in doubt, leave it out.

The Gloomster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's no mistaking sweet chestnuts from horse chestnuts.

Horse chestnuts are what we know as conkers and have a very spiky outer burr.

Sweet chestnuts come in a prickly/hairy burr.

Thanks for that tbr. That explains it so well, I can just see the difference now. Remember folks, it’s pricks you’re looking for, not spikes! 🙄🙄🙄

As I said, if in doubt, leave it out. Find the edible chestnuts in your green grocer or supermarket, not in your local park. It will make for a better Christmas dinner, trust me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To be fair, they do look totally different.

Horse chestnut:

Sweet chestnut:

Just in case anyone is considering foraging.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When do the christmas cheeses usually arrive?

I've been looking forward to the truckle of cheddar in the blue wax for the past 11 months, and I am nervous since it's brit cheddar and I'm not sure what the story will be with stocking that this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Love this stuff, sauce can be a bit 'glooby' but taste very good.

30 mins in the oven and 2/3 mins under the grill to crisp the top.

Always grab a few during my shop for a tasty snack. Really like it.

Found close to the premade sausage rolls etc, in my aldi.

Wouldnt be a fan of the beef brisket ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Post edited by AidoEirE on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'd be the opposite, wasn't a fan of the chicken one, just found it bit bland and chicken rubbery. The beef brisket is one the best 'ready meals' I've ever gotten in aldi. Rich, tasty and the meat seems like good quality

Picked up a pack of lamb "falafel" meatballs over a week ago, and only got around to making them this evening after work, (I'll be posting a photo on the "what I had for dinner" thread if any of you want to see how they look.

They were delicious, highly highly recommend them folks. 5 X stars from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

No sign of the Skyr 1kg yogurt tubs and Popcorn kernels in my local Aldi this morning. Hopefully its just a temporary supply issue and the'll reappear in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

They haven't had full fat natural yoghurt in my aldi for months now, dont know why as they have low fat and 0% ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Snap on both counts - I think these often disappear to make space for xmas stock. Happened last year with the skyr - back after January hopefully!

Bit left field but anyone who likes spicy / buffalo chicken wings with blue cheese sauce and either forgets or can't be bothered making the blue cheese sauce (it's an easy 30 second recipe) I found out by chance that the Aldo Specially Selected Caesar Salad sauce in the glass bottle bottle is a pretty good hack as it's made from vinegar, cheese (not blue cheese) and has a nice sour / zesty flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

The frozen mini chocolate eclairs are decent, bargain at 99c as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement