Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

True. And even when Best was captain Sexton was the leader of the group. But a least Best could take the burden of captaincy (ref etc) and also captain the forwards and Sexton the backs.

Ideally I wouldn't have had Sexton in the Autumn squad at all. Just to give the others game time and ownership. But even by selecting him Farrell could have given captaincy to Ryan. Started Carbery (v Jap and NZ) and given Sexton his moment v Argentina.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

How many of the top 100 oldest would be Tier 1 10's tho, I wonder Syd? I might have a look at this later on if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

People seem to be obsessed with the age of Sexton but when Brad Thorn came over to Leinster when he was 36/37 everyone raved about how great he was, also he went on to play another 2-3 season in the Premiership.

You cannot seriously compare 2nd rows with out halves. The 2 positions couldn't be more different.

Locks playing at a high level deep into their 30s is quite a regular occurrence (Thorn, Matfield, Shaw)

Out Halves playing at the top level at 38 is unheard of. The oldest out half in 6N history is Diego Dominguez and he was 36.

Sexton is playing great right now and long may that continue and I've no issue with him being our 10 as long as he's the best. But the idea that he'll be our 10 at the RWC is fanciful stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sexton will break Diego Dominguez record of 36 years and 303 days if he plays on the NZ tour next year.

while not tier 1s, both samoa and tonga have aging 10's

tusi pisi is currently 39 years old and Kurt Morath is 37

• Advertisement

Yes but he was a number 8 for Uruguay.

We're not Uruguay, we're a team who should go into every world cup with ambitions of winning the tournament.

im not making any particular point regarding his age, im just presenting some facts.

if he does play, its a damning indictment of all those other pretenders to the throne.

if hes still the best, he should play if willing and able.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

I am comparing age not the position. If Sexton's performances had been poor you could complain but they haven't. The mythical injury issues he has have not surfaced for Ireland. Yet every day we seem to have a conversation about Sextons age and we have to put an inferior player in to replace him.

When Thorn was signed I didn't hear anything pushing for a younger inferior player to take his position because he was older. It's just an example, maybe a bad one or maybe a good one.

if Sexton performance for Ireland drops and he is not longer the best 10 in Ireland I will be the first one to call for him to be dropped. At the moment that hasn't happened so let the man play

Yes and to win the competition you should have the best players you have available in each position. At this moment in time that is Sexton, the other options are currently inferior. By the time the WC comes around who knows.

If you want to go into a World Cup picking players out of form/inferior quality just because they are a few years younger I doubt we would get out of the group.

I don't know what you're getting at

Nobody is calling for Sexton to be replaced

But the fact that some locks have played at the top level at 38 has literally zero bearing on whether or not Sexton will. Because locks and out halves are very different positions.

Nobody called for Thorn to be dropped because Thorn was the best. The same way nobody is calling for Sexton to be dropped.

But Sexton will not be our best out half in 2023. It's just not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Murray, any chance of another chaos-inciting Tuesday "possible" teamsheet please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yep, this it.

Look at Rory Best. Two years out from the last RWC, no one saw him playing in Japan, then he had a stellar 2018, but was fading fast come September 2019.

The problem was that the guys we thought would take over had either turned out to be not remotely good enough (Scannell) or had their own critical failings (Cronin). So while playing Best wasn't ideal, it was still the best option.

I could easily see a situation where we're playing Sexton not because he's still world class but because Carbery couldn't produce the goods and the young guys didn't come through.

"I am comparing age not the position."

You may as well be comparing different sports for all it tells us, tho.

But I agree with your overall point; if Sexton is still the best come 2023 1) He starts and 2) It's a pretty poor indictment of his replacements.

Best was injured for 2018 tour to Aus. Scrannel was called up to replace him and ended up starting two of the tests.

Schmidt didn't obviously rate him highly enough (or Cronin), but more importantly didn't rate Herring either.

If more game time time was invested in Herring at Ulster and Ireland in 2017, 2018 and 2019 Ireland wouldn't have been handcuffed with 37 years old Best.

Best was the best option in 2018 and form went off a cliff in 2019 6N. Sexton may be the best option now but it's Russian roulette to be picking him without investing more game time this Nov in Carbery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

If Sexton is even the third best out-half in October 2023 he should still travel, which is possible. I don’t think it’s likely he will be the first choice by then but as a backup he might be better than bringing a younger less experienced player.

Rob Herring should have been selected over Best at the time (RWC’19), I felt at the time that the selectors got that wrong, and since Best has retired Herring has pretty much proved that point.

Agreed. This is the role I would have Sexton in now.

If Carbery breaks. Sexton is starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sexton is playing great! It seems that he's unmoveable and a part of the furniture. But, that's not his fault.. he's better than our other options. It's up to someone to move Sexton off the perch! Right now, he's coasting along, no other 10 is at his level. Sexton is unique in the sense that he is such a competitor and has the desire and will to play at this level. He still has the ability and skillset.

Below him is a minefield. The chosen one Carberry is not close to the level and HB has not been tested. Farrell has no alternative, the also runs are not good enough yet!

This may change over the course of the coming 2 yrs. I would guess that Ben Healy will get a shot at the Munster 10 jersey. If Healy takes that from Carberry he will be in the frame. HB is a difficult pick! He's 3rd choice at Leinster atm, I think if he doesn't pass RB soon, his international options will flare out.

The other options just have not been good. I'm a big fan of RB. He just isn't athletic enough. Burns is probably not the answer either and Carty is too inconsistent. Sexton has started the season like a man on a mission and is easily the best option. He should be picked. I think he could have benched last Saturday, I don't think he's going to play against Argentina. I would have started Carberry last weekend. But, Farrell wanted a win! Sexton is the best choice to accomplish that! Until Carberry or someone else steps up and betters Sexton, the choice is simple. Even at 36!

I can't foresee a world in which Sexton is our best out half at 38.

He's playing great now and that's fantastic but 2 years is an awful long time in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

And I am sure you would be the first person on Whining if Ireland lost to Japan and got thrashed by New Zealand (could still happen). Lads need to earn their jerseys no one at interprovincial level has been consistently good enough to take Sextons jersey never mind international level. In the last 2 years we have Ross Byrne, Billy Burns, Carberry, Carty and Harry Byrne what other major nation has given as many outhalfs a chance to make the Jersey their own (maybe france took them ages to settle on a 10).

Would love one of them to step up like Sexton did when he came off bench in Semi final in Croke park to dominate a game, so far none have. A couple have a couple of decent games and then are very poor, carty springs to mind. They need to take the jersey off Sexton not just be given it for changes sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Last weekend was good to see a lot of variation in attack. Not everything went by Sexton. This should have been the mindset for years. Lads like Zebo, Earls and Larmour perishing away on the wings.

Rugby is evolving and we appear to be going in the right direction. This weekend will be huge. I think we can win and cause an upset. NZ are difficult to play. The blueprint to beat them is simple enough. England did it at the world cup. S.A beat them recently. Our pack needs the upper hand! Without winning set pieces, collisions etc, it will be a long day. I doubt that we'll get hammered. Even if we lose, the form, performance and gameplan are moving towards the right direction.

This time next year, the Kelleher/Sheehan rivalry will be like Healy/McGrath a few years back. Both of them are potentially top class!

• Advertisement

I had a look at this and one thing in particular makes for interesting reading.

Of the top 100 oldest players at a RWC, the breakdown is as follows, which demonstrates pretty well why comparing the age of locks to 10's isn't very meaningful:

I filtered it for the top 100 for Tier 1 nations only, which gave a pretty similar breakdown. Again, nothing we wouldn't expect.

Out if interest, I drilled into the 5 FH's, and in descending order, they are:

• ROG in 2011 was 35.5
    • Stephen Jones in 2011 was 35.4
    • Butch James in 2011 was 34.2
    • Johnny Sexton in 2019 was 34.2
    • Dan Parks in 2011 was 34.1

So, of the 5 oldest 10's from Tier 1 nations to appear at RWC's, we have 2 of them already. We have form for bringing older 10's. Johnny would be eclipsing ROG by almost 3 years come 2023 tho, which sounds huge and is suggestive it's a long-shot.

(Also, old 10's seemed to be in fashion in 2011).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Sexton isn't the problem. The problem is Carbery coming off the bench and looking like an empty shirt. I'd like to see Byrne or Frawley in the XXIII to face New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

No matter how you cook it the World Cup is 2023 and there is no way Johnny sexton who will be 38/39 going to be there

that leaves this autumn window and two 6 nations to get at least 2 players game time at 10 and also to give the new captain more experience

what is going on with sexton makes zero sense in the long run for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There are literally pages upon pages of people calling for him to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

No, that leaves this Autumn series, the Six Nations, a three test summer tour in New Zealand, the next Autumn series, the next Six Nations, the summer training camp, the World Cup warm-up series.

That’s not even including two full seasons of club rugby.

Relax, plenty of time.

It's probably already been posted but the laugh I had at this

https://twitter.com/StephenFerris6/status/1375439828045684740

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I'm not one to pass a positive comment but last weekend was the most pleasing Irish rugby game I have watched. And I go back to Fergus Slattery, Mike Gibson times. It was a joy to watch. Long may it continue. Loved most of the game until Murray came on and it was back to the old Ireland. It's amazing how one player can influence how a team is good or bad but Conor defined that position

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Best was injured for 2018 tour to Aus. Scrannel was called up to replace him and ended up starting two of the tests.

If more game time time was invested in Herring at Ulster and Ireland

But that's exactly the problem we have now. In 2017 we all thought Scannell was the solution at hooker. Then it turned out he wasn't and the game time he got turned out to be a waste.

Herring got loads of games at Ulster going back years, he didn't need more game time, he just needed to be better at rugby.

The issue with Best was exactly the same as we have now with Sexton. Not only was the second choice not good enough to displace the old guy but there wasn't even anyone good enough that you could say, yes, THAT guy is definitely the next best. Likewise no one knows who our next best OH is.

We're pinning our hopes on Carbery now and it's absolutely the right call, but two years after the next RWC it's a fair bet people will be claiming that of course we should have been giving the game time to (insert name here) instead of Carbery.

Hindsight is great but it doesn't help Farrell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

"Pinning our hopes on Carbery". I was trying to remember when the last time Carbery gave a standout performance in green and I can't recall it. He played fine off the bench in the 2018 6 nations when everything was going great and I saw him in Chicago on his debut and again he was solid. He has 25 caps for Ireland an 1 try and I know I've seen him play some lovely rugby before his injury but I can't think of a tier one game where he confirmed the suspicions that he is a potentially great player. I don't have any particular point other than to wonder why he is so often regarded as the next best to Sexton.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen since the start of his career Carbery is not the answer, at 15 maybe but not at 10.

My hope is a H Byrne, Healy, Flannery or Crowley step up in the next 12 months and jump into the squad, grabbing the 10 jersey like Sexton did off ROG etc

Advertisement