Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DP World Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Valderdrama more like ! Soderberg 7 at a par 5 when 2 ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

4 rounds of 67 from John Murphy. Good week, won't get him the win but handy top 10. Building some nice momentum.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Strangely his impressive display on the full tour may cost him a tour card.He needs to be in circa the top 40 on the Challenge tour to get into playoffs for 20 plus cards and his 2 weeks away meant while playing great he made no headway on Challenge tour.Seeems unfair a top ten on the full Tour doesnt count towards being eligible to play for a Tour card.Might regret not staying on Challenge tour although I am not sure there were events those weeks.I would imagine he needs a win next week to qualify as only went up 19 places with joint 3rd today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

I’d say he might have a difficult decision to make next week. If he get a place in the Mallorca Open on the main tour, does he take it or does he play in the Costa Brava Challenge on the Challenge Tour next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm delighted my 20 minute drive to the Abu Dhabi Golf Championship at Abu Dhabi Golf Club has been shortened to 10 minutes with its move to Yas Links

January 20th to the 23rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,416 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Valderama is fantastic, love watching tournaments there. Fitzpatrick played a great last round to win. Min Woo Lee is going to be a superstar, finishing third there on your first attempt is impressive.

I'm hoping to go to it in two years time.

My other favourite course in Europe, that's not a links, is Wentworth. I've been there.

My other favourite European tour golf course is Leopard creek. It's on the bucket list as well.

Niall Kearney has received an invite into the Mallorca Golf Open this week.

A strong performance, hopefully top 5 at least this week, will do very nicely for the Dubliner as he battles to secure his European tour playing privileges for the 2022 European tour season.

The Top 124 players at least in the race to Dubai rankings will secure their European tour cards for next season.

John Murphy is playing in this week’s Challenge Tour event. Probably the best option for him as a high overall finish on the Challenge Tour would get him a card for the main tour next season.

Does anyone know how many players will make it to the Race to Dubai finale in two weeks time?

I have been unable to find any answer to this question on the European Tour website. According to Wikipedia, it’s limited to the top 50 in the Race to Dubai, but the entry list for last season’s event shows the entry list as being made up of the top 60 available players from the Race to Dubai rankings plus 5 other players - 4 from the top 75 in the OWGR plus a reserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Used to be top 60 but seems to be top 50 this year. I thought Padraig had qualified yesterday when he moved to 58th in the R2D rankings.

This article says top 50:

The ET is not in a great place - (in particular)Horschel, Zalatoris and Ancer in the top 10 after just a couple of good results and less than 10 starts - it doesn't say much for the tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Said this earlier in the year, it's a joke, just look at Richard Bland 24 events played 11 ,top 10s and a win and he no chance of winning R2D heading into last couple of events of the season.

Case in point is that Paul casey has played 9 events had 1 win and 4 top 10s but is ahead of bland.

I get them putting the weighting onto the bigger events but its completely out of whack to the point that winning an event like the Cazoo classic is pretty meaningless in the context of the R2D.

They are rewarding the "big players" by not playing many events

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wonder does the new deal kinda kill the Ryder Cup a little bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pretty much a sell out to Dubai to go head to head with the Saudi's.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good question. But it hasn’t really been PGA Tour vs European Tour for a number of years now. There are too many European players who play mainly on the PGA Tour. They may have to change the rule about having to be a member of the European Tour (sorry, DP World Tour) in order to be eligible to represent Europe in the Ryder Cup. And the selection process may change to be based solely on World Ranking points. This will further reduce the incentive for the top European players to play in Europe, but I guess they must figure it’s a price worth paying.

In other news, I note that the Irish Ooen is confirmed for Mount Juliet from June 30th to July 3rd, the week before the Scottish Open. Not likely to have a strong field, given the fact that it’s not even a links course.

I don’t understand the logic behind including the Barbasol Championship and Barracuda Championship as events counting towards both tours. These events are run in opposition to the Scottish Open and The Open Championship. What the heck is that all about?

The JP McManus Pro Am is directly after the Irish Open so it may entice a few more to play in the Irish Open as they will be coming to play in that and then play links golf in Ireland the week before The Open. Probably depends what it is up against on the PGA Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Double Penetration World Tour.

Can you get a Hole in Two?

Now that the Scottish Open is a cosanctioned event, I expect a lot more of the top American players will come over to play in the Scottish Open as preparation for the following week. Will probably be the strongest field in any European Tour (sorry, DP World Tour) event outside the majors and WGCs.

They are destroying the European tour. There has never been anybody there with a bit of vision and balls to make it a great tour.

The way this is going there'll be very little golf in Europe outside of challenge tour events in a decade.

I see there is no event after the first week in March until the middle of April.

No event early December to late January either.

Just to add, the WGC events should not be included in the race to Dubai. It's fine to include the Majors and the Players but nothing else should count outside of European tour events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Mount Juliet for the irish open again stinks. Why there again? Can't see why some of the big links courses wouldn't be able to host if Ballyliffin was. Portmarnock, Ballybunion etc would get a much better field especially with it's place on the schedule.

I'd have tiered events. Tier 1 events would give you double points toward R2D.

Tier 2 would get you 1.5 times the points and then the rest get you regular points.

There'd be ten tier 1 and ten tier 2 events.

Likes of PGA championship, Scottish open, Italian Open, Andulucia Masters, Abu Dhabi HSBC, Dubai desert classic, Saudi International, British Masters, Irish Open, Alfred Dunhill links, European Open, Nedbank challenge and BMW international would all be in contention for tier 1.

Wales open, Portugal Masters, Open de Espana, Open de France, Alfred Dunhill, Indian Open and Australia PGA Championship would be in tier 2.

That's just off the top of my head, there may be tournaments I've forgotten about.

You bring in sponsors like in the US for things like the risk/reward hole in every tournament. You improve your stats for tournaments and players like proximity to hole etc. stats and have full text commentary of every shot on your website like the PGA tour.

You regularly profile your best golfers and up and comers from countries who don't have a rich tradition in golf.

You make it more accessible in every way to draw in more viewers and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Depending on prize money the race to Dubai points are defined. It’s not like pga we’re all normal events have 500 points.

The issue European tour has is getting world top 50 to turn up bar Middle East and open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Selling out to the Arabs has destroyed the integrity of the tour. Appointing a muppet from Canada who knows nothing about golf or Europe as the main decision maker for the direction of European golf has put the last nail in the coffin.

Agreed. Nothing has been done since he came in to ‘improve’ the Tour. It’s been purely about expansion and revenue increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Haven't really being paying attention to the whole DP thing bar the billing and I watched Sky earlier and they were proclaiming it to be the best thing ever, which immediately got me suspicious. They obviously have the rights.

What does this mean for regular European players coming through, that haven't had the grandeur of US College Scholarships?

From the way I am seeing it, the future Stenson's, Kaymar, Molinari's will struggle to get opportunities at decent events.

I can see a lot younger guys coming through looking to get onto the Sunshine tour or the Asia Tour (which looks like its getting revamped too)

We can always believe the talent will naturally come through but there are late developers. And professional golf is an expensive business to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

In fairness, what else can he do? Players go to the US because the strength of field is better and crucially there's more money there. (Covid, really destroyed the Euro tour financially).

One thing, and I've said it before, is that they could look at how R2D points are allocated because right now they reward the big players for playing fe*k all events which is not good for the tour or the up incoming players they want to keep.

The shot clock events were unique, the quality of the coverage in general on the European tour is good and the social media side is also decent. Granted there are a lot of flaws but they can't all be laid at the feet of Pelly imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Sometimes it's better to do nothing if you don't have any good ideas. Golf is about tradition and respect. He has tried to make it more entertaining with Mickey mouse events to attract new followers but forgot about the people who love golf and why they love it.

Jon Rahm not bothered to go to Dubai this week and I salute him. I think the DP tour will make the PGA tour even stronger and I expect the world's best players who don't need blood money to distance themselves from this tour more and more over the coming years.

What could Pelly do? He could have not officially killed the European tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

100% agree. What a disaster it's been.

Loved the European Tour when it was in mainland Europe and the UK almost exclusively on great courses in great locations with lots of tradition. Seeing the pros play Valderama and Crans-sur-sierre are still some of my favourite events in golf.

The begining of the end was the increased Middle East swing where the tops guys (European) played for appearance fees and then went back to America for the rest of the season until the Open and maybe the PGA.

As you said a lot are going to swerve the Dubai and Saudi tours as there's nothing to differentiate between them now, only money and of course some will always be swayed by that, but some will just stay exclusively on the PGA tour now.

Advertisement