Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So here's the thing.

What I've posted isn't opinion , it's publicly available fact.

TV numbers ARE Declining , Social Media growth IS slowly rapidly , Advertising Revenue IS very poor.

Those aren't opinions , those are categoric facts.

The GB News Boss has an even less objective viewpoint than you accuse me of having.

Do you think that the CEO/COO of a company is going to sit for an interview and say - "Look, it's a disaster , we've missed every single conceivable growth target we've set for ourselves and we're hemorrhaging money".

Of course he's going to put an upbeat spin on things and look for the bright spots to highlight positivity , That's his job - He wasn't giving an interview , he was doing a PR pitch.

However , the FACTS currently don't support his sunny outlook.

Could things turn around and GB News does what Frangopolous talks about?

Of course they could , however all of the evidence available suggests that that would be an uphill battle to say the very least.

News Organisations do not make money , an organisation that explicitly aligns itself with only a subset of an already small unprofitable market has even less chance of making money. That again is a simple fact and has nothing to do with the politics of the channel , the same would be true were it to be a "Woke" channel rather than the "Anti-Woke" channel . As I and many others have repeatedly stated it has a flawed business model that severely hamstrings it's ability to make money.

In every one of my posts about GB News I have simply stated the facts as they are - GB News is NOT doing well as a business , all of the available industry accepted measurements show an organisation struggling badly , absent any evidence of meaningful growth or stability.

I have no skin in this game and aside from disliking Nigel Farage intensely I have no particular animus toward GB News. Their success or failure is largely immaterial to me.

Translation: "I've been backed into a corner. Again. And instead of trying to defend my indefensible stance on this matter, I'm gonna accuse you of going off-topic, despite the fact that it was me who introduced this topic into the thread in the first place."

Transparent AF.

You are putting a terminally negative spin on the figures.

And as I've said, GB News has miles of financial runway and it's not uncommon for businesses to make losses in years 1 and 2, only to turn a profit in year 3.

GB News is here for the long haul, regardless of the spin placed on existing figures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Of course businesses make losses in their early days - Set-up costs etc.

A new business will start small but have large initial costs while it gets up to speed.

BUT - It does have to show growth or at least some indication of future prospects, or at least it should.

GB News is showing nothing but decline - A bit of early interest followed by a steady and continuous downward trend.

It's TV numbers are already 50% below that initial peak and declining steadily each week.

There is no spin - Simply statements of fact , there is no growth , there is no sign of future growth.

It's decline in TV viewers each week is not being offset by the growth in Social Media activity. It's social channels are still growing , but they are all growing by much smaller rates than they were before.

GB News may well be here for the "long haul" but it's long term future is not predicated on it growing and becoming profitable , it's future is entirely dependent on that "financial runway" provided by it's backers.

When they reach the end of that runway , that is it - There is no line of sight to any kind of "take-off".

That's not being "terminally negative" , that's simply realism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,129 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When did this new rule come in.

You are the biggest culprit for pulling the thread down rabbit holes. The whole Rashford thing which you would not shut up about for ages was way off topic

Former strategist no ?

Generally highly critical of Labour more recently with all his stupid talk of "Trots" and communists

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's basic analysis, nothing more. We see every week this desperate failed attempt to convince the Emperor of the splendor and magnificence of his new attire.

Nobody's watching. It's that simple. Clicks on social media aren't sufficient to pay a whole workforce.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Will they be

Old?

White?

A has been from days long gone?

A racist/bigot/wife beater?

All of the above?

Well fair play to Timberrrrr he was right on the top 3 out of 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's a difference between putting a negative spin on the figure and being realistic about the figures. What do you think GB News are going to be able to do in the next year or two that will suddenly make them profitable? News UK is around the corner and will inevitably pull from GB News' viewership as they actually do have significant money behind them and have pulled in big names like Piers Morgan (not to mention how much the rest of Murdoch's empire will be pushing it).

GB News aren't having any significant impact on social media, and even then that's not profitable, not for the type of organisation GB News is.

What do you seriously think GB News can do in the 18 months that they haven't already done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Unlike some, I'm not conceited enough to believe I can predict the future with certainty.

Put simply, we'll have to wait and see. That said, I'm encouraged by the cautious optimism espoused by the GB News boss as of late.

It puts to bed the collective delusion that GB News will fail in an instant. It won't; it's here to STAY.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The issue is that Eskimohunt refuses to even see a problem. Fine for them but if GB News' backers don't agree then the channel will die on the spot. Talk of Murdoch's channel is merely a tacit admission of GB News' catastrophic failure. TV news is withering away. Eskimhunt reckoned that 15% of the UK's population were "anti-woke" and then went on to ignore their own evidence because it didn't fit the narrative. Targeting 15% in a shrinking market makes no sense and I'm amazed that people with money were daft enough to back this disaster.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Advertisement

are you encouraged by the declining viewing figures?

That interview while maybe honest optimism is also just as likely to be "Ceaușescu waving from the balcony" optimism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"not conceited enough to believe I can predict the future with certainty"

Ends post with a statement of future certainty.

Future certainty in CAPS.

I often find myself disagreeing with people on things but then I find as soon as they use caps I'm suddenly swayed. Its just such an effective debating TOOL

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Come on he put the word STAY in capitals!

It is basically a certainty!

• Advertisement

It's telling that the meanest bit of independent thought needs to be paraphrased such that it can be presented in the most extreme form possible.

Not one person to my recollection has ever said that it was going to "fail in an instant".

What I and several others have said since day one is that its basic business model is a flawed one and that in all likelihood its survival is entirely reliant on the goodwill and largesse of the Financial backers.

There has not yet been a single shred of evidence to date to disabuse me of that theory.

It's not profitable , it has no obvious pathway to profitability , it also does not have a large Media conglomerate "big brother" to cover the losses a la Sky News for example or indeed it's upcoming competitor, News UK.

As I and most others have continually said to you , GB News will go on for as long as the backers continue to pay the bills - That could be days, months or many many years. We simply don't know.

What we can say though with a high degree of confidence, based on decades of evidence from around the globe on the financial viability of "news" outlets is that it will never be profitable and it will always require additional outside funding to keep the lights on.

To be honest your inability to accept that basic fact is what keeps this thread going at this stage.

Pretty sure we'll have Eskimo citing the number of YouTube comments as proof of success next.

You clearly didn't even bother to read the Telegraph interview.

Even the GB News boss agreed with me that the channel is not just anti-Woke; that the purpose of the channel is broader and deeper than that simplistic slogan.

It's not just "anti-woke", there many other levels on which it fails to appeal to the viewing public.

I didn't predict the future, I quoted the GB News boss - big difference.

Nice try, though.

The boss is clearly a f*cking twit of the highest degree. Calibrating your channel to the expectations of a miniscule segment of the population via a dying medium is clearly stupidity of the highest degree. You went on and on about how anti-woke the channel is and now I'm supposed to believe you when you say it isn't? Nah.

And no, I don't read crap. The Telegraph isn't even good toilet paper.

"GB news is here to stay" = a prediction of the future.

Like clockwork you're trying to claim "black = white" though, quelle surprise.

There is absolutely nothing in the post I quoted that suggests you were quoting anyone

He is forever trying to deny stuff he surely knows we can all reread on this thread. It's like he thinks he is just saying it and not putting it on record

• Advertisement

I'm not responsible for how other posters misconstrue my posts. A cursory glance at the Telegraph interview will show exactly what he said - which is what I paraphrased, not predicted. But you know that.

so you didn't quote him, you paraphrased him. and you gave no indication that you were doing that. you posted as if they were your own words.

You are responsible for not understanding the difference between quoting someone and paraphrasing someone.

You are responsible for not making it clear you're paraphrasing someone.

But you know that.

At this stage of the thread your complete lack of critical thinking should no longer surprise me , but it kinda still does.

You accept at absolute face value what is in effect a Press release from the Chief Executive of GB News that everything is going reasonably well and that things are growing and even in his own words hopefully moving towards profitability.

No application of nuance or understanding of what he could/would say in that situation at all from you?

In all honesty , regardless of what the actual situation is do you really think he would ever say anything other than what he did say?

I mean it's absolute standard boiler plate business interview stuff -

"Hey you know we're really pleased with how things are going , obviously there's a few things we can and will improve on and moving forward the goal is to get to profitability as quickly as possible and grow the business. While I have you here are some carefully curated data points that look good in isolation and provide tangential support to my earlier comments"

That is a reasonable synopsis of what Frangopolous said and you could take that exact same statement, swap out a few numbers and names and it would work for any company on earth. It's hardly speaking truth to power or anything.

PR Fluff interviews are just that - Fluff.

But facts are facts and when you actually look at them fully GB News is simply not doing well and all of the trend markers are moving in the wrong direction for them right now

That's not negativity or "hating" , that's simply a pragmatic view of the current reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,591 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Frangopolous was honest enough to admit faults and where things must improve.

It absolutely was not a whitewashing interview as you have falsely portrayed - again.

And it's splitting hairs at quote/paraphrase - it was in effect both.

quote/paraphrase is not splitting hairs. a sentence cannot be both.

• Advertisement

So it was in effect both (even though it can't be both), while you also didn't make clear it was either.

Yet you seem determined to admit no blame for any of the confusion caused by it.

Emmm...

He did indeed "admit some faults and where things could improve" - Just as I said.

"Hey you know we're really pleased with how things are going , obviously there's a few things we can and will improve on and moving forward the goal is to get to profitability as quickly as possible and grow the business. While I have you here are some carefully curated data points that look good in isolation and provide tangential support to my earlier comments"

Again , your inability to actually parse information and understand its meaning is truly impressive.

Never said it was "whitewashing" simply that is was a boilerplate PR Interview with a CEO type that told us absolutely nothing meaningful.

CEO Interviews go like this : -

• We're happy with where we're moving , but obviously want to move faster.
    • There are areas that we need to do better in future.
    • We're really excited about the growth opportunities and potential we see in the market
    • Watch this space , we're going to be doing great things

That's not just the Frangopolous interview , that is the content of every CEO interview ,EVER.

You breathlessly saying "Well the Boss says things are going great and are only going to get better" doesn't actually mean anything.

The net effect is the same, that's what matters. Blame yourself for any confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No Farage tonight, instead they are replacing him with

Drum roll please

Mark Steyn, and yes folks......you guessed right.....another white racist!

They actually found someone stupider and less irrelevant than Farage. Impressive.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of him.

Quick Google and.....well , he seems like he'll fit right in.

Absolutely nothing in the post I quoted suggested you had paraphrased anyone.

Anyway, at best your pathetic attempt at gaslighting here just results in you calling the head of your beloved channel conceited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,976 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

@eskimohunt You know the way last week, you were talking about how the Left are the ones who most express unsavoury sentiments and actions towards others.

What do you make of a sitting Republican Representative tweeting an animated video in which he kills a character representing a sitting Democratic Representative?

Because, that happened.

https://twitter.com/donie/status/1457932549595045889

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,976 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

^^^

And of course if someone is going to be hateful, MTG is sure as hell going make certain that she doesn't fall behind.

Do you think Twitter is engaging in 'Cancel Culture' by blocking such hateful messages which could easily motivate some lunatic to act?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement