Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It's one of those things. I could shovel it into me like nobodies business I leave a pot of it soak every night before bed for me and the youngest but my wife and eldest would gag at the thought of eating it. The texture of it is a thing I'm told. I favour a bed of banana for mine but the 3 year old loves raisins with hers. My wife and my eldest look on in horror every morning 😂

Narrow window for me on Saturday morning as had to be home early. The hour changed helped and was on the road by 7.15. My only real chance to get out so decided to make it count with a tempo effort. First half was straight into the wind and a bit of an effort but got my rewards when I turned for home with a nice tailwind. Dry for the most part and the roads were in good nick for the time of year.

69km with 636 up at 32.5kmh.

https://www.strava.com/activities/6218230346

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

105km spin this morning on the flat. Average about 28kph

Lovely morning for it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm in the same boat as your wife - I cannot bear it. Everyone talks about how good it is for long cycles so a few years ago I tried it for the first time in about 40 years. It took me ages to eat a couple of spoon fulls. Awful texture - the work of the devil himself. Being forced to eat it as a child probably doesn't help. Yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

60kms today and despite it being bleedin November I had a bee get inside my helmet 4 different times and was stung on the the top of the head and side of the face by 2 of the feckers. The side of my face is so swollen I can barely get my glasses on. At least the weather was good .

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

101 kms for me today @ 25.3 kph. I had things to do so didn't make the club spin at 8.30 but managed to head out about 11. Had a smashing day for it. Realised that I am about 80 kms off 6,000 for the year so have set a new goal for 6,500 kms for the year on strava.

I'm a big believer in the bowl of porridge every morning. Usually make it with water and add in Greek yogurt and berries afterwards. Smashing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Porridge rules, have it every morning with raisins and fruit in it 😋

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

For the best porridge, steel cut oats, with apple chunks and peanut butter. They take ages to make, but do them them the night before and you're ahead of the game

I wheel my bike from one part of the house to another. Back feeling a bit better though so next week should be more fruitful

That from the gardening incident ?

• Advertisement

Oh bringing the porridge back up I made these for the kids during the week for school, they are meant to be for babies but since when did that mean stuff wasn't yum. I cut to cook time down a little for the second attempt and they were much nicer texture than the 25 I did them on the first attempt. A little too dry when cooked for 25 (fan oven)

Went down well when I was out this morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

saw a kestrel on the spin just now - hovering over a rough patch of ground near the boot inn, just yards from the perimeter fence of the airport.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agreed, I do it the lazy way in the microwave for 4 minutes. Made on milk with some raisons, nuts and a teaspoon of jam thrown in for good measure. Never used to like it, but I find it sets my up so well for the day I've grown to love it. I swap to granola in the warm weather.

You're making it wrong so. Add flaxseed, honey, blueberries whatever to sweeten it

overnight oats made with yoghurt is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

A bit like yourself, force fed it when I was a kid. In NYC back in 2005, I saw this "Hot Oatmeal To Go" in a diner one morning, with any amount of added extras. Kiwis, nuts, dried fruits, etc. So, when in Rome etc, I tried it. The trick is to mix it with milk ( or water ) , leave it in the fridge overnight, microwave for 3 mins or so, pour in some maple syrup, couple of handfuls of nuts, fruits, and it would do you for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

And as an afterthought, should someone start a new thread "Tell us about your porridge today"????????

The Great Boards Gruel-off, we could get @Beasty to host it! 🥣

Nice spin at lunch out to Enniskerry, 31k @25kph with 350 of up, though pretty knackered after it as haven't been on the bike much at all over the last few weeks. Could also be because I had granola instead of porridge for brekkie. Life is getting in the way of cycling a bit too much these but still managing to resist the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Great idea! I make it with a handful of sultanas, half milk half water and simmer it until it's almost solid. Add a capful of whiskey to the pot with the last stir and serve with cream and honey 😁

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Took my new wheels (Scribe Pace) for a decent spin today to Blessington. Took the spin handy enough, stopping every so often to check my work phone as I was supposed to be working 😈 but also I did plenty of freewheeling simply to listen to the freehub turning

Lovely to see the autumn colours all along the way (as per the below photo).

78km @ 26.5km/h with 829m - https://www.strava.com/activities/6238889668

A phrase just came into my head reading the above post, " I'm straight tellin on you " 🤣 really showing my age 😃

Looking forward to a blesso spin, my usual haunt but with recent illness just haven't been out that way, soon though 🤞

• Advertisement

Beautiful evening/night for a spin

63km at 26kph

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

A WFH lunchtime 17km bit of fresh air. Grand day for it

Lunchtime spin up to Foxes via the Blue Light and back via Cruagh. Gloomy enough out but the Autumnal colours on Pine Forest road are pretty stunning and well worth the trip. Cross winds, lots of leaves and road works on Cruagh made for a focussed descent. 22k at a relaxed 21kph with 400m of up all in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I cycled along the Royal Canal from Confey to Mayooth (and back) for lunch on my hybrid. Lovely and relaxing spin - no danger from cars, mostly quiet from car noise and beautiful autumn colours.

I locked my bike to the railings outside Manor Mills shopping centre and went in and got myself a croque monsieur and coffee. While I was eating al fresco, I'm 99% sure that the woman who walked up to where I locked my bike and looked as if she was making a call straight from her pocket was actually eyeing up my bike. Her call seemed to suddenly stop when she turned, looked around and saw someone holding a melted cheesy sandwich looking straight at her. She then put the phone away and walked off. Anyhow, that was that and I had a lovely afternoon out away from the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Had a very blustery afternoon spin, feeling better after a few days of yucky cold (it was a cold). Stopped to check the phone and the new edge530 went nuts, beeping like mad as it was about to contact my emergency contacts due to an 'incident' , as it looks like I stopped too suddenly :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My 1030 has a habit of doing this, especially with the disk brakes

63km at 27.4kph.

Left the house in blustery conditions but turned out a lovely evening/night for cycle and very mild. Didn't meet one other cyclist either

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Set an alarm for 0815 yesterday, couldn't convince myself to get up until 1000, I had just pulled up the bibs when the heavens opened. This is my usual cue to get undressed, but yesterday I just decided to go for it.

Between the rain and the wind it wadnt the most pleasant of cycles, but glad I got out.

38km at 26kph

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Finally got out to do the bit along the estuary north of malahide today. You really do need to do it near low tide, I was there an hour before low tide and I'd say if I'd been there half an hour earlier I wouldn't have been able to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

short easy enough spin this morning. Weatherwise it was grey & overcast but mild enough. Anyway finished up with about 33kms at 23.5 kph. The main aim of the spin was to bring me over 6,000 kms. Finished up with 6008 kms for the year so far meaning I'm over 1,000 kms ahead of where I was this time last year. Happy days.

Advertisement