Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So sad that Boards in General and this sub-forum in particular have died a death!

Options
  • 09-11-2021 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

Where is everyone posting now that boards has died a death after the forum upgrade a few months ago. Any other Irish focused PC forums or are ye just posting on generic international PC related sub-forums on reddit for example.

So sad really. This used to be a great little active sub-forum where you could talk to other Irish PC enthusiasts and talk about product availabilities, Vendors and Bargains etc more relevant to other Irish enthusiasts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Reddit for me anyway. Its beyond belief that Boards is still in the state it is, this long after the migration. I seen this thread on the front page, because there's STILL no My Forum functionality. Pathetic stuff from management all around. Staff and volunteers are doing their best, well above what should be expected of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a 'my forums' functionality on both desktop and mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It hasn't been helped by the silicon shortage and crazy prices for lots of parts. When I built my first pc in 2015 you'd be crazy not to build one with all the bargains and bang for your buck to be had. Three times the machine for not much more than the price of a PS4. Now it's gone so expensive it really is niche. The consoles have caught up to a level that building a pc will only really appeal to those who must have the very best in FPS / graphics performance regardless of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Me not most active user here. Partially activity could be effected by subscription/notification mess still preesent on site since move.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You sure? There's a 'my discussions' but I have yet to see anything like a drop down menu listing my favourite forums.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Lesson learned that you don’t fix what’s not broken

• Registered Users Posts: 34,931 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thanks a mil for that! I didn't see that there at all.

Ideally what I was looking for was on the old version of boards, on the top right there was a drop down menu with a 'my forums' button which had a list of all of your favourite forums. So you'd just click on one and it would bring you to the forum.

The one you linked above is showing the top threads in my favourite forums, which isn't ideal but at least it's a way of getting into them a lot quicker than what I've been doing - thanks again!

Idealy, most of us would preffer old boards any way, once we learned how the new look and work now..... 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

This: https://www.boards.ie/categories?followed=1

There's also the extension in my sig, which (among other things) adds a dropdown menu to the Categories link in the nav bar, including a list of followed categories

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

I think it's a few things. The GPU shortage makes building near impossible for most.

Younger people and would be builders are probably going use Discord and Reddit over the likes of a traditional web forum like boards.

The prolonged shutdown after migration didn't help but I think boards was in trouble before hand. I would have previously checked the site out alot each day but I find in general I started coming here alot less just to avoid the cesspit that are afterhours, current affairs and the COVID-19 forums, I just don't want to see those topics on the main page. I avoid reddit for the same reasons as well as it's horrible interface.

I know we don't have the population base but I'd love an dedicated irish hardware forum like the German Hardwareluxx, the UK ones are pretty much useless since Brexit.

I still like to pop into this forum and bargain alerts but that's about it. I'm sure once the GPU market is some what normal there will be alot more footfall here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I browse from my phone and the new site is a bit toxic for phones so I spend less time on boards.ie in general.

Then added to that when I do come here on my phone I have no idea how to get into this forum unless one of the posts is on the front page.

Reddit for me these days too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I agree , this so called upgrade was/is a shocking effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

I think the site update definitely impacted a lot of traffic to the site in general, but for PC Building forum, it is the inflated cost of parts/graphics cards that makes PC Building out of reach for most people.

Even look at say someone looking to build a PC for a game like Forza Horizon 5, you would have to spend minimum if lucky 1500 for R5 3600 with a 3070 to just match what an Xbox Series X can for for 1/3 the price.

Normally, paying a little more for PC is expected given you can upgrade etc in the future, but paying 3 to 4 times more would not make sense to most.

Given the amount of posts asking help to build for more than a year have the caveat of getting current graphics card is hard at cost price unless you want to over pay, makes it pointless for most to look in to this.

Here's hoping next will calm down on prices, but I do fear the price hike is here to stay for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Aye I have the tab you mention, but it's a clunky way of navigating. I was referring to the My Forums drop down menu where you can select any of your followed forums with a single click.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Being offline for the guts of a week in a medium that's already declining is a death knell. You would see a similar response to facebook/whatsapp going down for the same period. People would change their habits, migrate to other services. Some would come back but not all.

Your average below spec PC can do anything it's asked of, outside of niche use cases. So do you really need a PC building forum for that.

And for gaming, we are 3-4 years now of insane pricing of gpu's and then other components following suit. And 2 years of not being able to source a gpu. With prices 3 times what they should be. Of course this forum will suffer.

A mod did me a favour (am not joking, I asked) and banned me from After Hours a few years back. Sweet Jesus but the front page cleaned up so refreshingly.

Since the redraw the ban was lifted and no one will reinstate it. I find that I can not use the general threads tab anymore.

I don't fancy going on there and testing how much it will take to ban me (knowing that place it would require a site ban offence)

I might start a thread there asking for it, actually.

I've been 2 years now waiting for a GPU to be at all reasonably priced. My current 1080 is still doing the job but I am finding myself playing less and less on the PC because I keep having to make compromises with settings.

I am playing Mario Kart and Lego Jurassic World (etc) with my kids more, nowadays, and enjoying that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Thought things were quite alright but it is actually just boards not notifying of new posts from bookmarked discussions. Or rather them not showing up in my forums or bookmarks.

Three days now not a single pop or "bell"

• Advertisement

Mods got forum ban permissions again and I now no longer see After Hours. It cleans up the home page so much.

Edit: Crap, it's not like the old boards (I miss her). You still see banned fora on your homepage BUT at least I am not tricked into replying there anymore, thinking a good topic will get measured responses.

On topic: I have completely dropped off even looking at components, of late. Is the GPU market still horrific or are there signs of any real value appearing?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GPUs are now selling regularly for 2x MSRP

The DIY market is FUBAR

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Popped on to see if any bargains for black friday. Not even any posts. Boards.ie developers seriously fucked up. At this point, just roll back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

they really did...I've not been on much since the 'upgrade'...the whole place has lost it's charm and now looks completely ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Haven't posted here or any forum since the change. Hate the new look and functionality. A massive step backwards.

Surely this site with the amount of traffic it had was a decent money maker. Why did they hand the web development over to a novice teenage developer by the looks of it. Whoever was responsible should be ashamed of themselves.

Why did they even do it?

Advertisement