Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The creeping prominence of the Irish language

Comments

There was a time when the Caighdeán was king, and that created its own problems (mostly inflexibilities). Nowadays the regional variances - canúintí - have been embraced and brought back in, which creates different issues (learners aren't always happy with multiple and ambiguous answers until they get a chance to build their confidence). I haven't heard anyone in recent years declaring either the Caighdeán or their own canúint to be the "correct" Irish - although of course people tend to be very fond of the Gaeilge from their own areas. However, I do hear teachers and lecturers say that you should try not to mix and match between the regional variations. It's not such a big deal with words, but there are some grammar constructions that are only used in Connacht, others only used in Donegal, others again only used in Kerry, and if a learner mixes them they can cause confusion for listeners.

Deputy Ó Snodaigh grew up in an Irish-speaking household and attended Scoil Lorcán and Scoil Eoin. His father was president of Conradh na Gaeilge back in the late 1970s.

You can never tell with politics and politicians, though. For example, I wouldn't associate FG with positive vibes towards Gaeilge, but Leo Varadkar's enthusiasm and energy for the language is evident, as is the transformation in outlook and fluency shown by Joe McHugh, and I'd also say that Richard Bruton did more for Gaeltacht schools than most other education ministers.

Let us know how you get on with your gaelic dictatorship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

On the first point:

You - "Indeed, I've seen your posts on the Irish language over several years, and they are generally contemptuous."

Me - "No you haven't, and no I haven't"

You - I've no idea what you are referring to here; but if you are saying you have never posted about Irish in the past, well it must have been a different PCB.

-- I'm refering the the bit that they are "generally contemptuous" - which mysteriously disappeared from you quote above.

ON the second point:

Just to clarify soemthing which I genuinely think is being misunderstood: I'm talking about optional at secondary school. I've no problem with it being a part of core primary school teaching - I'm in favour of that. You mentioned in a later point being parents the option to send their kids to a Gaelscoil - sure. No problem. Good idea. I'm also in favour of English literature and advanced maths being optional after the nessecary life-skill levels have been attatined.

On the third point:

Saying that we need to do more of something you admit doesn't work well is.... kind of stupid. Not to mention arrogant when your stance effects tens of thousands of peope whose opnions you don't care about.

On the fourth point:

It's not a life skill. It might be a career skill if they're teachers for example, but that's not a life skill.

And finally, let's not go down the road of ad homeinems. That's just weak. Stick to the arugments presented. I refuse to beleive there is no way to revive the langauge without duress and force, but if there isn't, then what does that tell you about the population? Are they ALL "generally contemptuous"? Is every leaveing cert student who wants to do somethign orther than Irish "generally cotemptuous"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

If schools are not a means for promoting Irish outside schools why is there an obsession with having Irish in schools at all? You talk as if Irish is a dead language like Latin. What's the point of a language if its not used to communicate? Even referencing TG4 and RnaG is not a good sign as people increasingly move to media outlets like Netflix, YouTube etc. Look at government and talk about moving away from the TV licence due to less and less people owning a TV.

More money is required for teaching education through Irish compared to English for a number of reasons.

One English is the primary native language in Ireland. Its the first language the vast majority of the population learns to speak as a child. A huge amount of English education is effectively free as its done at home by parents and care givers. Irish with a vastly smaller amount of speakers(outside the education system that is) means the same education is not given in Irish and the relevant language skills and knowledge for Irish are not as developed.

Two English as the most wide spread International language has educational resources Irish will never match. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/behavioral-competencies/global-and-cultural-effectiveness/pages/viewpoint-the-silencing-of-esl-speakers.aspx Approximately 75% of English speakers are not native speakers. Therefore if you want to teach something through English you have far more ready to use resources available. A perfect example is Wikipedia and the amount of articles in English on the site when compared to every other language.

Three there is far more incentive to learn English than Irish and learn things through English. If you go outside your own country English is a good language to know because it aids communication with people who don't speak your language. The number of non native speakers of English is testament to that. And remember a lot of these non native speakers will be native speakers of languages that have many multiples of daily speakers when compared to Irish.

Four and this is really a summary of my previous points English as a language has a wider eco system. More speakers more and wider variety content creators/services etc which means teaching through English will always be cheaper by a wide margin when compared to Irish. Now obviously that extra cost isn't a show stopper. However money isn't limitless and even at that why spend money on some that doesn't work and that goes for anything.

You also make the point of having people who speak the language but only listen to TG4 and RnaG. But from my point of view I wouldn't view them as speakers of the language. If you don't use a language you begin to forget it and a person's ability to understand it declines over time. Again as a person who left school with a conversational level of Irish I find my French is now better. That's despite being more proficient in Irish leaving school. The reason for that is that I've have used/interacted with speakers of French in both a social and professional setting since leaving school.

And to bring it back to my question point why are Gaelscoils a sign of the strength of the Irish language at least as a living language? Based your response Gaelscoils are irrelevant to the discussion .

Post edited by PeadarCo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Excellent post PeadarCo. It's tiresome to have to keep pointing out the blindingly obvious. Gaelic lobbyists ( to put it as politely as I can) know all these facts as well but persist in being a nuisance in pushing futile fantasies.It was a bad day for Ireland when the 1937 Constitution inserted the official status of Gaelic as part of the package. It was another blow to reason and sanity when the Official Languages Act appeared in 2003. By then the atmosphere was so PC that any kind of minority was so sanctified that politicians were running scared of any flimsy trumped up charge of 'discrimination'. The spineless wimps in the Dáil meekly went along with the nonsense -and the EU is just as bad with its ludicrous maelstrom of official languages.God only knows what costs and delays are occasioned by this madness.

Some of the posts here show a complete lack of realism as well as the usual revivalist tactic of gratuitously casting slurs on anyone who refuses to be browbeaten into going along with crazy madcap schemes. Other posts are indeed almost comical with arcane cultural assertions ranging from references to the Tuatha Dé Danann to codology about placenames -as if people are likely to learn a language to be able to etymologise placenames !

I've seen and heard all the 'arguments' and claims about Gaelic and the revival for over half a century-they are utterly spurious and do not stand up to challenge or rational analysis.Deviousness ,disingenuousness and delusion are the stock in trade of too many Gaeilgeoir types as they continually try to foist a pointless project on the general population.

But if we remove choice and force everyone to start learning it and prevent english from being spoken and learned then it'll fine.....apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Are you being deliberately insulting by using 'Gaelic' or is it just ignorance?

• Advertisement

You may find offense if you wish, but the term is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Middle class parents who send their kids to a middle class school for whatever middle-class reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭deirdremf

If schools are not a means for promoting Irish outside schools why is there an obsession with having Irish in schools at all?

Your use of the word obsession tells me a lot about where you are coming from.

As I have said previously, schools are how our state imparts a certain level of education to our children, they are not at the centre of a community's social life. If you feel they should be, maybe you would be better off getting involved in politics rather than Boards.ie?

You talk as if Irish is a dead language like Latin.

I hope you were looking in a mirror while you wrote that ... because it is one of my main means of communication. Certainly very far from dead. In fact if we could be having this interchange in Irish, I would prefer it.

What's the point of a language if its not used to communicate?

Which language is not used to communicate?

Even referencing TG4 and RnaG is not a good sign as people increasingly move to media outlets like Netflix, YouTube etc. Look at government and talk about moving away from the TV licence due to less and less people owning a TV.

Certainly many more people watch stuff online and it is a threat RTÉ and TG4 in many ways, but I wouldn't write the local broadcast media off just yet. Or do you expect all those commercial stations to disappear in the near future?

More money is required for teaching education through Irish compared to English for a number of reasons.

One English is the primary native language in Ireland. Its the first language the vast majority of the population learns to speak as a child. A huge amount of English education is effectively free as its done at home by parents and care givers. Irish with a vastly smaller amount of speakers(outside the education system that is) means the same education is not given in Irish and the relevant language skills and knowledge for Irish are not as developed.

If you were to cost that - in the Irish context - it might help your argument. (I'm assuming that we are talking about primary and secondary education in Irish vs in English here BTW)

Two English as the most wide spread International language has educational resources Irish will never match. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/behavioral-competencies/global-and-cultural-effectiveness/pages/viewpoint-the-silencing-of-esl-speakers.aspx Approximately 75% of English speakers are not native speakers. Therefore if you want to teach something through English you have far more ready to use resources available. A perfect example is Wikipedia and the amount of articles in English on the site when compared to every other language.

While Wikipedia is free to use, the rest of the materials available come with a cost, and indeed may not be suited to the Irish educational system for a variety of reasons. I cannot see how the existence of those materials does not reduce costs in the Irish primary and secondary school systems - perhaps you could explain, showing the specific savings involved, because a bare opinion not backed up with facts doesn't mean much here.

Three there is far more incentive to learn English than Irish and learn things through English. If you go outside your own country English is a good language to know because it aids communication with people who don't speak your language. The number of non native speakers of English is testament to that. And remember a lot of these non native speakers will be native speakers of languages that have many multiples of daily speakers when compared to Irish.

Ah, this old chestnut "What use is Irish when you go past Galway", "What use is Irish once you get off the train in Tralee".

Now it's "what use is Irish when you leave Ireland" - well that's progress of a sort, although nobody here is suggesting that education through Irish makes us forget our English, or indeed stops us from picking it up at school.

Do you think they ask much the same question in Estonia and the Netherlands, too?

Oh, and while we are here - could you demonstrate the cost reductions involved here?

Four and this is really a summary of my previous points English as a language has a wider eco system. More speakers more and wider variety content creators/services etc which means teaching through English will always be cheaper by a wide margin when compared to Irish. Now obviously that extra cost isn't a show stopper. However money isn't limitless and even at that why spend money on some that doesn't work and that goes for anything.

This is once again a statement of opinion - or maybe even just wishful thinking, with no facts backing it up. Pretty worthless really.

You also make the point of having people who speak the language but only listen to TG4 and RnaG.

I certainly did not mention anything about people who "only listen to TG4 and RnaG". I'd assume everyone who isn't a native Irish speaker, and many who are, has more than those two sources of entertainment & news.

(I'm presuming you meant ... who don't speak the language, and whose only contact with the language is listening to TG4 and RnaG ... )

But from my point of view I wouldn't view them as speakers of the language.

Passive speakers/users of the language. They form part of the Irish-language community, as consumers rather than producers, just as when you watch tv or a film in English you use your knowledge of the language. In fact a lot of people find comprehension of the spoken language more difficult than actually speaking the language.

If you don't use a language you begin to forget it and a person's ability to understand it declines over time.

Which is precisely the reason my point about consumers of radio/tv is important - it keeps them up to date in the language, including new vocabulary etc.

And to bring it back to my question point why are Gaelscoils a sign of the strength of the Irish language at least as a living language? Based your response Gaelscoils are irrelevant to the discussion .

No, that's purely your spin. Gaelscoileanna are important because they produce new speakers of the language; but I'm repeating myself, and you have clearly decided not to take in anything that doesn't fit in whith your preconceived notions.

It is of course your right to close your mind to facts that you disliike, but don't expect others to engage with you in the future - I certainly won't be wasting my time again.

He certainly appears to be. He has been taken up on it by several of us already, but "the lady/laddie is not for turning".

Isn't it a terrible pity that the Irish language doesn't have terms for "inverted snobbery" and "inferiority complex"? Completely useless language.

Tallaght, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot, Ballybrack and many more were not populated by middle-class families the last time I visited any of them. Ditto the areas of Belfast where most Gaelscoileanna are located. I can't speak for the situation in the rest of the country, bt if it genuinely was a middle-class movement I'd expect the government to be much more willing to listen to parents who want a Gaelscoil in their area.

But you know this, don't you?

• Advertisement

You can never tell with politics and politicians, though.

Precisely

Irish people take offence, by the way. Just saying.

The Collins entry doesn't disprove the point being made by @Professor Moriarty and @deirdremf. Their point wasn't about the existence of the term; it was about whether that term is used by Irish people, and whether it is used without being insulting. The fact that a dictionary published by a British publisher contains the word simply demonstrates that it exists. Does that dictionary even include a guide to the different pronunciations of the word used by Scottish people for different purposes?

On the first point:

You - "Indeed, I've seen your posts on the Irish language over several years, and they are generally contemptuous."

Me - "No you haven't, and no I haven't"

You - I've no idea what you are referring to here; but if you are saying you have never posted about Irish in the past, well it must have been a different PCB.

-- I'm refering the the bit that they are "generally contemptuous" - which mysteriously disappeared from you quote above.

Post 822, the words "generally contemptuous" are still there, I've just checked. And yes, I have previously read your thoughts on Irish, and yes, I have previously found them "generally contemptuous".

On the third point:

Saying that we need to do more of something you admit doesn't work well is.... kind of stupid. Not to mention arrogant when your stance effects tens of thousands of peope whose opnions you don't care about.

No, it's not stupid (hey, I thought you weren't being contemptuous; or maybe it's just an ad hominem? And indeed one of a sort you don't disapprove of).

The fact is that in the mainstream schools pupils do not get enough contact with Irish to become fluent - therefore (if the aim is to ensure competence in Irish) more contact with Irish is required to meet that aim.

On the fourth point:

It's not a life skill. It might be a career skill if they're teachers for example, but that's not a life skill.

You obviously don't want it to be, but for many of us it is.

And finally, let's not go down the road of ad homeinems. That's just weak. Stick to the arugments presented. I refuse to beleive there is no way to revive the langauge without duress and force, but if there isn't, then what does that tell you about the population? Are they ALL "generally contemptuous"? Is every leaveing cert student who wants to do somethign orther than Irish "generally cotemptuous"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, as I said before, if believing that students should be allowed to choose what they study for the Leaving Cert and not have to study soemthing that isn't a life skill makes everything I said "contemmptous", then I'm pretty much "generally contemtpous" to every subject on the syllabus, bar pre-leaving cert english and maths, and maybe science.

I'm attacking the idea of doing something when you know it doesn't work. That's not an ad homeinem. I'm not sure how many hours school kids get of contact irish, so can't really comment. I do know that the quality has to change before you address the issue of quantity. How can more of the same be an improvement when it doesn't work in the first place...? Would you say you're happy with the quality of Irish tuition in standard English-speaking schools? What percentage of the school day do you think should be spent on Irish?

Finally, it's not about what I want or don't want. A life skill is a skill nessecary to conduct everyday life. In what way is Irish nessecary to conduct everyday life?

I'm Irish, I use that term (which is accurate and correct) and I don't take any offence to it.

Feelings on the other hand, well, those can often have no basis in logic or reason

• Advertisement

Until reading this thread, I have never before heard an Irish person refer to the Irish language as 'Gaelic'. It's pathetic and childish.

I think you're speaking from your own personal difficulty with the language.

I am a former Gaelcholáiste and Gaelscoil pupil and I had no difficulty grasping the language. After a year or two the language comes natural to you. Irish is not an easy language to learn when it comes to grammar - I admit it is difficult but those who have spent time in an immersion school know it's not impossible.

I think those who hate the language the most are those who did worst in it in school. I think it's the state who is to blame for that.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I think in many cases the attitude is handed down in the family from parent to child.

Not in all cases, mind you, but very frequently.

Well, you've got me there on life skills, I didn't realise they were nessekary, but now I know.

On the amount of contact hours, well to be fully competent there are studies that say you need 5000 hours.

Of course quality also matters, as you say increasing the quantity without improving the quality would be a bit of a waste. But then again contact hours are not achieved only by teaching more Irish, but in a school setting also by teaching through Irish. There have been some moves towards this, but I don't know how much of it has actually been carried out.

That said, research carried out in the Basque country has demonstrated that bilingual education produced a greater proportion of competent Basque speakers, but I do not remember the figures.

To deirdremf -- Gaelic seems to me to be a highly suitable way to refer to the minority language under discussion.It has a long historical provenance tracing back to Goidelic ( Gwyddel etc ) It is more phonologically economical than a long-winded form like 'the Irish language'. Some of the first attempts at revival in the 19thC were mounted by the GAELIC League...with contributions from the GAELIC Athletic Association. Aodh de Blácam wrote a most important book on literature written in the language and titled it 'GAELIC Literature Surveyed'. Likewise Daniel Corkery's book 'The Hidden Ireland' was subtitled 'a study of GAELIC Munster in the 18th century'-featuring work by poets like Aogán O Rathaille ,Eoghan Rua O Súilleabháin who in my eyes are GAELIC poets to be distinguished from poets like Heaney ,Boland, Mahon ,Montague etc who are commonly termed Irish poets.

My final point on this.

GAELIC League

GAELIC Athletic Association

'GAELIC Literature Surveyed'.

GAELIC Munster

GAELIC poets

In each of these cases, the word Gaelic is an adjective. You have not quoted a single instance of the word being used as a noun, ie as the name of the Irish language.

Well, if the only rebuttal you have is a typo, then yes we are most certainly finished with that part of the discussion. Gald you agree though.

5000 hours is two hours every day per school day for 14 years, which is a bit disproportionate, but that said even half that should result in some level of competency. Teaching non-Irish subjects through Irish is not going to happen in a non-gaelscoil unless there is a drive amongst parents, who are more than likely going to prioritise their kids' education over the langauge (or unless you do non-essential subjects like PE, which might not be a bad idea).

I still think getting it out of the classroom is he way forward, so kids start seeing it as an actual langauge and not a school subject. The less stressful it is to them, they more their going to enjoy it.

I can't make out how you arrived at that conclusion from my last posting -but in any event your train of thought has stopped at the wrong station. My knowledge of Gaelic is fluent and accurate -but then that's neither nor there when it comes to exposing the numerous follies of the Gaelic revivalists as they hawk their ragbag of raddled ideas around the media.

I don't know if you were referring to me when you used the strange phrase 'those who hate the language' but whether or which I can aver that I do not 'hate the language'. I'm always struck by the statements of revivalists who keep talking about those who''love' or 'hate' the language. I don't really know what these formulations mean. Any language is just an arbitrary system of sounds made by the human vocal tract -how can 'love' or 'hate' come into it ? Attitudes towards a language can operate along a spectrum from interest to indifference .Loaded emotional terms seem out of place and irrelevant.

What is more likely the case -as it is with me -is that sane rational people oppose the Gaelic revival project and its attendant inanities...and that's a whole different ball game .One can have any number of attitudes towards the language while still maintaining sensible thought out positions as to its place in society.

Would you have a link to any government website that calls the Irish language 'Gaelic'?

• Advertisement

Whether one does or doesn't, what would it prove to you either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Post edited by Upforthematch on

What do you have against Gaelic? I think the language of the Scottish highlands is really charming, almost as much as Irish.

One final point deserves another. I have no intention of tracking down quotes nor need I . My use of the term 'Gaelic' is a predilection of mine for which I require no sanction from any other source. I like it- you don't. That's hunky dory and life goes on. It's not a big deal.

I don't know why revivalists get so worked up about this but then protagonists of the Gaelic revival do come up with some weird thought processes - bless their little cotton socks....so I suppose some allowances must be made.

I think that poster is being deliberately obtuse on this issue. A simple search in any Irish-English dictionary will also give the answer they don't want to hear.

What is interesting however, is that Bunracht na hÉireann constantly refers to English as "sacs-Bhéarla" in the Irish translation. I wonder why we don't hear much about the "sacs" anymore!

Example:

6° i gcás téacs Gaeilge agus téacs sacs-Bhéarla de dhlí a chur isteach ina n-iris faoin alt seo agus gan an dá théacs sin a bheith de réir a chéile, is ag an téacs Gaeilge a bheidh an forlámhas.

Well if you know five languages at B2 fluency then good for you. You do have plenty to draw from.

To me it is unusual not to value the language you were educated in though because it's the means through which you got to learn about the world and yourself, but I suppose it's a personal question.

Lot of anger, not a lot of substance in that post.

Is everything you disagree with "a blow to reason and sanity" "lacking in realism", "almost comical", "utterly spurious", "deviousness, disintenuousness and delusion"?

It might be worth your while looking at this page on Wikipedia about language revivalism as a cultural phenomenon. You don't have to agree with the concept in general or in this specific case for Irish, but it exists.

Interesting comment on that page:

"The protection of minority languages from extinction is often not a concern for speakers of the dominant language. Oftentimes, there is prejudice and deliberate persecution of minority languages, in order to appropriate the cultural and economic capital of minority groups."

I'm proud that in Ireland we respect the cultural capital of both language speaking groups.

Yeah, of course you do. Does that dictionary entry you copied and pasted have anything to say about the different pronunciations by Scottish people of the word "Gaelic" used for different purposes?

I want to comment on your point that your level of conversational French is better now than Irish since you finished school.

You mention that you have interacted with speakers of French since leaving school and I believe you mentioned in an earlier post that you attended Ciorcal Comhra also.

Is your conversational ability not simply a function of your personal preferences instead of the number of speakers of either language?

Based on your response I would argue that the number of speakers is irrelevant to the discussion - it is the number of conversations that is much more important to building and maintaining fluency.

And the Gaelscoil movement is an environment where those conversations are nurtured and developed on a daily basis, hence their vital contribution to building and maintaining that critical mass of speakers, who may then go on to exercise their personal preferences in adulthood or outside the school environment to speak Irish regularly if they so choose.

• Advertisement

I've a notion in my head to go visit Sabhal Mòr Ostaig to do a course in Gàidhlig. They run a short course aimed at proficient speakers of Gaeilge a couple of times a year. Of course, it hasn't run since 2019 because of the plague, but I'm waiting to see if they put it in their programme for summer 2022.

Someone needs anger management sessions - and it isn't you. 😁

The definition of "Béarla" on teanglann.ie makes for interesting reading. "English" is the second definition. The original definition comes from Old and Middle Irish (bélrae) and meant speech or language, though that is fading away. The "sacs" denoted where English speech and language came from, but that has also been lost in standardisation.

Is that the one where you lisred listening to radio as a "life skill"...?

To quote Pearse: Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam.

To quote JFK. Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

And the Gaelscoil movement is an environment where those conversations are nurtured and developed on a daily basis, hence their vital contribution to building and maintaining that critical mass of speakers,

Excellent point UftM.

Thus we have had posts trying to suggest that the opposite is true, i. that in fact the Gaelscoileanna are not pulling their weight, that they are a "middle class haven", that there is no research on their work in the community, that some of the research is (horror of horrors) written in Irish - HOW VERY DARE THEY!!!!, that some of their ex-pupils don't speak Irish every day ... the nonsense list goes on.

When you see this sort of continuing put-down, you know that the truth is probably the opposite and in fact the Gaelscoil movement is effective in what it does - and this tiny minority of people (some of whom show signs of not even being Irish) sees Gaelscoileanna as being a threat to them.

• Advertisement

JFK.

One of my favorite philosphers. Himself and NJ Mortenson.

I believe that axiom of his you quote was during an interview with Mortenson, in reply to her "Most memorable 30 seconds" lemma.

I was just playing the random-quote game. I could have gone for Socrates, Nietsche (spelt wrong, I know), Oscar Wilde or even Orwell again. There's even a good Milhous line from the Simpsons if I could have been bothered

... or Plato.

If I was going to advocate one mandatory subject i education, it would be philosophy, but I can sense the opposition even as I write this.

Anyway, I'm dragging this thread even further off topic, so I'll stop now :)

Gald you agree though.

Gald to be of help to you.

5000 hours is two hours every day per school day for 14 years, which is a bit disproportionate,

In your opinion, of course; I memrely point out what the research has concluded.

but that said even half that should result in some level of competency.

True; and the fact that for so many it

Teaching non-Irish subjects through Irish is not going to happen in a non-gaelscoil unless there is a drive amongst parents, who are more than likely going to prioritise their kids' education over the langauge (or unless you do non-essential subjects like PE, which might not be a bad idea).

I still think getting it out of the classroom is he way forward, so kids start seeing it as an actual langauge and not a school subject. The less stressful it is to them, they more their going to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ha, endlessly quoted by the fanboys.

How does that work in much of the 'New World'?

• Advertisement
Advertisement