Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake off 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah he seems like a nice fella but he’s been down the bottom half pretty much every week. It’s surely his time. I am fully prepared to eat my words though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

It's only George and Lizzie who haven't yet been star Baker - she seems to be getting better every week but he seems to scrape through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jürgen's eyebrows 😳

I'd take a garden shears to them if I could!

I can feel diabetes coming on, and I'm only 5 mins in 🤢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

’you can’t eat caramel every day…’

• Advertisement

OK, now I can feel diabetes AND a heart attack coming on 😱

Crystelle's sounds like the winner by far, so far!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Are they basically making a Twix??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Definitely one of the better looking ones as well as compliments on the flavour

Yep!

Took me a few minutes to twig (boom boom!!)

Oh, George 🙈😳

• Advertisement

How did they all have soft biscuits? Poor George didn't do well at all

Jesus, poxy Christmas ads already???

😡😡

God the sugar domes are a nightmare!!

This is the most entertaining episode in ages!!!

Sugar work and gelatin seem to be the undoing of every baker!

I'm not sure George has done enough, him or Lizzy to go.

Jürgen back to top dog??

I agree, Lizzie or George to go tonight...

Aw poor George, he was a very likeable guy but it was his time to leave

Poor Freya will be entitled to feel a bit hard done by, getting voted off before what is basically her week!!

She should be brought back for a one-off special appearance!!

I started thinking poor aul George might get by again, his last bake went well enough at least. I can’t warm to Lizzie at all she’s very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

George should have been gone long ago. Probably one of the poorest bakers to get this far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thought the judges got it spot on this week, star baker was clearly Jurgen, who was unlucky not to win technical as well, as there wasn't much between him & Giuseppe. George for a split second looked like he had a sliver of a chance with his showstopper but to be fair his first 2 rounds were so poor he really was the one to go. Interesting now as other than Lizzie (who looks weaker than the others left in) anyone could step up & win on any given week & it only takes one bad week to go... cant believe we're at the quarter finals already, the weeks have flown by this year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lizzie next week, then Chigs. Crystelle, Jürgen and Guiseppe in the final.

Anyone else think they weren't given enough time for the technical, no one's chocolate had a chance to set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭.red.

Fair play to Chigs, a lad who's been baking a year, into the quarter finals of the UKs biggest baking comp. Just shows what can be done with a little bit of raw talent and passion for something. Seems like a very nice fella too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i only found the thread....

Are Spoiler Tags ever used in here

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

No it’s assumed you watched it at the time, if you didn’t watch it then looking here and expecting to not read what happened would be ridiculous. If you knew something ahead of time it should be spoilered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

ta.

Just scooted through without reading any posts.

Will stay away so. 👍️

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Would agree with this also. Crystelle to win IMO

Crystelle would be my hope to win, but she'll have a job getting past Giuseppe and Jurgen IMO - my money is on one of them, whichever performs better on the day.

(that reads a bit like stating the bleeding obvious! but they've both been up and down a bit, have they both got three star bakers?? either could turn up on the day and blow the other out of the water)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

No need for spoilers if the programme had aired already ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

I thought it was clear also that Paul in particular had upped his standards and was expecting better in most cases. Long way from any handshakes last night.

On George's Showstopper, the custard had curdled and the caramel was not great either. So while it looked ok, it was far from perfect. He had to go IMO. Pity as I liked him. Even though she has annoying tendencies, I like Lizzie. The others left have very little personality, so could become a very matter of fact baking show for the last few episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree.

The split second I referred to was when he brought it up & the judges said it looked the part... once they delved further it was clear he was goosed given the earlier two rounds (i.e. he needed a good show stopper and hadn't delivered)

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Jaysus, I thought I saw Chigs chopping spuds for his ice cream there!! 😱

None of this sounds very appetising!

Was there ever a baker that used an ingredient as often as Crystelle has used miso??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I didn't think it was possible to make ice cream sound so unappetising and depressing

I'm thinking Chantelle and Lizzie might actually save themselves here (although I'm not paying proper attention).

Chantelle's flowers look amazing!

Is a red velvet cake not meant to be.... red???

(genuine question!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Wow, that was a tough call. Chigs making himself a late contender to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Looks like the Show Stopper isn't as weighed heavily this year. In other seasons Guiseppe would have been in more danger of going home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I thought Guiseppe was in danger too but then he was the first one safe.

After Jurgen dropping his sausage rolls I thought he might also be in danger....he seemed alot more stressed this week.

It was extremely close but I think all the others have consistently performed well each week. As much as Lizzie pulled it together this week I think it was the right choice for her to go.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Jurgen serving floor sausage rolls! 😫 But what else could he do, I guess!!?

Exactly what I shouted at the telly!

Not quite the same when them lying on the floor is broadcast to the nation, though..... 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

The best showstopper from an eliminated contestant I can remember seeing

Very sad for Lizzie but I think unles something extraordinary happened this week, she was going to be the one fgoing home last night. Her brilliant showstopper wasn't good enough to prevent that even though it did look fab abd very unique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭boccy23

Agree 100%. My youngfella wouldn't watch as he said before the show "What's the point, Lizzie is going home anyway!"

He was proved correct and it does bring into question the judging. We were told in previous years that it was all in the current week and not going on what had happened in previous weeks. By that standard, Giuseppe should have walked. Strange how this year seems to be different from before in many ways.

Ultimately, i agree that Lizzie was overall the weakest baker and had to go. But I felt very sorry for her. I was also delighted she got to highlight her differences and those that she felt were important to her. She really did an amazing job on her Showstopper. Loved it! And the message made it all the more impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

I dont think Guiseppe deserved to go at all. He was held to a higher standard which was a bit unfair, by Paul and Prue. Lizzies cake looked nice but tasted poor

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Giuseppe was well ahead of Lizzie going into the showstopper, they even said he wasn't in danger. It's unfortunate for Lizzie that she produced her best work of the series in the showstopper, but everyone else did really well in it too. It was really between her and Crystelle as to who was going home, and ultimately with so little to choose between them I think they had to go on overall record as the better baker in the series, which was Crystelle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement