Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

Give over. You were berating the EU's discussions of triggering Art 16 over Astra-Zenaca as a massive, needless overreaction. Now you are berating them for not reacting to something the UK haven't actually yet done.

Speaking of which, what commitments have the UK broken with regards to the WA and/or TCA, bearing in mind they sought for and were granted a temporary extension across quite a number of aspects of the WA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The point was that they are important to each other and pragmatism will prevail

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The act to move to invoke Art 16 by the EU was an absolutely catastrophic mistake and everyone in diplomatic circles will tell you that. It has subsequently been used, understandably by a desperate British side, as part of the pretext to arrive at the situation we are in now.

The UK have acted unilaterally not to implement what was agreed on several occasions now, they have not built the border posts required and they have acted in bad faith throughout including the current sham "negotiations".

The UK are going to act decisively this month at which point, whether you want to remain in denial or not, the clock is ticking on our membership of the single market.

And this is coming about as a result of appeasement of a nationalist regime in London headed by crooks and charlatans.

No they aren't, not remotely. Try and stick to facts instead of make believe.

The EU is a market of nearly 500 million people. The UK does not remotely compare to that clout and there is only ever going to be one winner of that trade war.

And it is you, in the north, that will suffer the most out of anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Clock is not ticking on our membership of the single market. The Choice the UK will eventually force if they continue in this manner is "No Border" or "Single Market".

"Single Market" is the choice that will be made.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Indeed and pragmatism dictates that the UK will yield to the collective clout of the EU and US, guarantors of the Good Friday Agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

And why would threatening the UK now not be anything other than a catastrophic mistake too? It would be seen as escalating the standoff and bringing the EU down to the UK's level. Frankly, the UK is damaging itself more and more by continuing to behave in the way that it does.

When you actually look at what happens, the UK unilateral actions have in essence been:

• announcing, well in advance of the deadline, that they were "unilaterally" extending various deadlines or previous extensions
    • quietly applying, just before the deadline, and most importantly in line with the agreed protocols, to the EU to mutually extend the deadlines before they expire
    • announcing triumphantly as the 11th hour arrives that they've somehow forced the EU into giving them something.

If they were really that confident in triggering Art 16, they'd have done it by now, quite frankly.

This is exactly the approach needed but has been denied by sources speaking to the FT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Your hopes for the future may be getting the better of you I think.

I don't think FT or any British newpaper are the oracle when it comes to looking into the crystal ball for what will happen if/when UK take another larger step in salami-slicing the NI Protocol.

The English language (US)/UK media (all of it, even the "quality" stuff) has never had a great rep. for reporting on the internal going ons in the EU or other EU member states afair. I doubt it has somehow improved now UK is not an EU member any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement

Why should we leave one of the best things that happened to us because the Brits screwed. You do realise that FMC's will be thinking of leaving if Irexit takes place.

Post edited by skimpydoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Irexit would never get support from a majority, not even close.

What’s more likely is that Scotland would vote for Independence, and then Northern Ireland would vote for the end of partition.

England is screwed, they’re already a basket case being lead by the biggest liars of modern times.

the clock is ticking on our membership of the single market.

I'm sorry but what are you blabbing on about. The SM is far far more important to Ireland than the UK will ever be again.

Who started the violence?

Who formed paramilitary organisations to oust their own Prime-Minister for being too "soft" of nationalist community?

Who fostered a statelet of gerrymandered oppression?

I'll give you a hint, they add a word in front of Derry

Your first comment says it all.

if you think you can identify “who started the violence”, then you are incredibly naive and living in a silly little either republican or loyalist bubble.

who do you think started the violence and in what year? I am all ears

Are you going to answer?

Who started the violence of the troubles?

Who tried to oust their PM using a paramilitary organisation?

Why do we call the UK civil war The Troubles, anyway?

Your the one called it the troubles. So maybe you will enlighten us?

I couldn’t possibly put the start of the violence on any one person or group. It is really very naive of you to even ask the question. But tell us who you think and what date?

I'm pondering it my own self and it's probably down to London never really considering NI as, truly, part of the UK. You're all just Irish to them.

Are you going to answer the questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,741 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The physical violence erupted because of the years of suppression and oppression inflicted with the threat of violence. The might of a sectarian bigoted statlet controlling housing, education and employment in their favour. It was always always going to go up in flames if responsible governments sat on their hands and responsibilities.

It did go up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I am starting to believe that Article 16 is part of an elaborate Tory long-game to engineer a withdrawal from NI. The exasperation with Brexit will make it an easy sell in the home counties.

Dump the problem on the EU's front porch, so to speak.

It's only a problem as long as it remains in the UK.

As a UI it solves everyone's problems except those of belligerent Unionism and bitter partitionists. And let's face reality, they won't be happy either way, the core problem for them is equality.

And dinosaurs, they still can't pray that issue away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah here let me have a go.

The prologue to "the Troubles":

1964 Paisley leading an angry mob to remove a tricolour from display at SF office in Belfast. Lots of later ranting about the invented upcoming IRA campaign (to be in 1966, obviously they would do a 50th anniversary replay). The Castlereagh Club set working away in the background of course.

1966 UVF resurrected - Paisley integral in this. New UVF responsible for shooting random Catholic men dead in Belfast.

1968 Brutal attacks on peaceful protestors by RUC, B Specials and organised civilian accomplices.

1969 Series of strategic sabotage bombings in NI, actually carried out by the UVF, but the IRA get the blame... Major ramping up of fear/hatred ensues. Repeat 1968 above.

So, you ask who started the violence? Paisley was a very useful tool of the extreme right-wing cabals that were really pulling the strings. For this reason, I consider him to be only *one* of those responsible for what became the recent Troubles.

Not your ornery onager

Well that’s it then. Exactly what I have said all along in this forum. Protestants are evil nasty people who take every opportunity to stoke up hatred. Catholics are peace/loving angels who have never harmed or abused anyone. They are jolly craicsters.

So in summary of the last half dozen posts by broad minded republicans:

the big bad strong Protestants kept attacking the wee innocent weak catholics. The Protestant clergy were ‘tools’ while the catholic clergy innocently cared for their flock. The brits called it ‘the troubles’ because it was a bunch of Irish fighting on an island they wanted rid off.

glad we have that cleared up.

I agree with all of this accept I didn’t think there was much violence. Rather most of the Protestants left for the relative safety of the north and the remainder kept their heads down and ignored the discrimination

Yeh the 'relative safety of the north'...if you were part of a religious bigoted sectarian statelet where almost 4000 people died and countless more were inured and had lives destroyed when the ruling govenment ignored what that religious bigoted sectarian state was doing.

You are indicative of why there will not be proper inclusive remembrance, you refuse to admit the poisonous toxic state your forbears built.

In the south we are dealing with and have dealt with what happened here after independence and partition and have confronted it and laid the blame where it belongs, with the government and the church who fostered and ignored what was happening.

The Unionism you represent is a long long way behind.

• Advertisement

Lord Frost is to make a statement in the House of Lords on "EU relations" shortly. Don't know the significance yet.

You'd imagine any statement of decision on Art 16 would be made in the Commons.

Advertisement