Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rental rules .... so bad for all

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Rustyman101

That's on ETFs deemed disposable rule.

Investment is frowned upon in this country, they tell you to provide for your future if you do they tax the bejesus otta you.

Better to be v rich or on the social, in the middle not so great.

Leo looking after those who get up early me bo****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Isnt this new legislation to come in before Christmas to make the entire country an RPZ also?

Will that have consequences for the current way you do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Not that I'm aware of, I didn't see anything about the whole country going into an RPZ, have they not learned anything yet from messing in the rental market.

There was talk from the minister a couple of months ago about it.

Hes probably keeping it quiet at this point just to stop people escaping from it before he pulls the trigger.

Well they have been messing with it for the better part of a decade now and keep making it worse. in fact they have never made it better - just worse, every time. So no they clearly have learned nothing and are not likely to ever learn anything either.

• Advertisement

Just to give an example, if they make the whole country an RPZ my tenants will be getting hefty rent increases, not because I want to, but because I'm been forced into doing it. And I won't be the only one doing it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

It has been announced that the whole country will be an RPZ under the new legislation.

i did a rent review last week, I had no intention of reviewing rent until my tenants moved on but now that it is decided to keep rent increases below inflation (so imposing a rent reduction in real terms) there is really very little option but to increase rent at every opportunity. Indefinite tenancies and rent reducing (in real terms) each year - maybe this is the solution for first time buyers complaining they are unable to afford a house. Why buy when you can just live indefinitely in someone else's property and pay less and less each year for it?

Have you a link to that, I can't seem to find it anywhere, thanks.

But they will bring it in before you get a chance to react. Christmas week would be my guess. They have used that as cover before.

Then you wont be able to retrospectively give notice to increase the rent.

If you are going to do that i think you need to do it before they suddenly change it overnight.

Yea looks like it now, a nice rent increase Xmas present for tenants compliments of Mr O Brien, looks like I'll be joining the scum landlords club soon with yearly increases, but so be it.

Post edited by MBE220d on

• Advertisement

O'Brien knows this is exactly what will happen. He is only delighted for you to appear the scum and him to appear the savior.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

The mendacity here is particularly galling, surely government knows through its RTB data that private lettings are falling each year. I am in Sligo and where once you would have expected to have 15-30 properties listed on Daft at this time of year, now there are 3. A quick scan of other provincial towns with only Letterkenny, god help us having any sort of availability with 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

Just did a rent review with my tenants. Non RPZ. Put it up a small amount to start in March 2022 to give plenty of notice. Still slightly under market rate as nod to great tenants. Would not have bothered changing it at all if the government did not keep changing the rules.

There seems to be a refusal of both government and media to examine exactly why rents are increasing.

All they want to do is blame it on the greedy landlords.

But what is increasing price is

Supply is decreasing, but the landlord could only put the rent up 4% a year, even less now. no matter what the supply, so what gives?

What is happening is that all the landlords stuck on below market rent, whyich were bringing the average down are selling up.

So the average goes up. Now you have less rentals on the market, but they are the ones at the higher end of the rent scale. So that brings the average up some more.

Its as plain as the nose on your face that rent controls are causing this feedback loop, and its going to continue even if there is a rent freeze. As the cheaper places leave the market the average increases even if rent doesnt go up for any of them.

Take a bow all the housing ministers since and including Simon Coveny, who started it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

There’s a piece about rents in the IT today and Ronan Lyons is quoted making a very similar point:

“Some will react to these trends with an understandable, if misplaced, search for easy solutions. A favourite is rent controls,” Ronan Lyons, economist at Trinity College Dublin and author of the Daft report, said.
    “But what this report covers is not the average rent paid by sitting tenants – who benefit from rent controls – but the average rent paid by new tenants, who invariably are not covered by such controls,” he said.
    “ While I can see the appeal of solving prices by simply making it illegal for prices to rise, it does nothing to address the reason why prices are rising – the lack of rental accommodation,” Mr Lyons said.

They really need to explain why the "average" rent is increasing, instead of blaming it on greedy landlords increasing low rents. Some of these journalists and minsiters are a bit thick to be fair. Its they who are the cause of it, not landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭themoone

JimmyVik "Take a bow all the housing ministers since and including Simon Coveny, who started it all". Lets not forget Alan Kelly who introduced the first measures in 2015. And of course it was to tackle lack of housing supply which came about in part due to the government abolishing bedsits in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Enlighting me. Are rents not pretty high already?

Looking outside of Dublin in my area alone a pretty small bog standard apartment is 1200 pm. That’s 288k over 20yr considering this type of apartment on this area would have cost maybe 140 - 160 5yrs ago that’s a pretty good profit isn’t it?

Dublin just seems to crazy renting. I see two beds there going for 2k and more. A lot for something you will never own

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You're right that a lot of rents are very high. The argument being made here is that the biggest reason for high rents is the lack of supply and this will be exacerbated by the current measures. Right now small landlords are leaving the rental sector en masse. They don't make as much money as the Twitter narrative about landlords would suggest and they can sell their properties for a good price in the current market. What's more the risks of being a landlord have increased because it's so difficult to remove non-paying tenants. The new rules will make this even harder. Landlords who charge lower rents have a bigger incentive to sell (the difference between the income and the sale price is greater) and, thanks to the new rules, they now have no way of increasing their rents in real terms. So the cheapest rental properties are the ones most likely to be sold off. TLDR: thanks to these new regulations, not only will supply be further reduced but low-cost rental supply in particular will be hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

First off those apartments that were available for 140k 5-6 years ago were available to everyone. A person investing could have opted to put there money into shares and that money would be worth maybe 190-200k, if they opted for pension investment they could have leveraged it with tax and it would have be worth 230-250k. They took a risk and invested in property.

No house will remain fully rented for 20 years, allow a month/ year for unrented periods. That is 264k. Now assume costs maintenance and upkeep@1.5k/ year, so that reduced your overall take to 234k. Now allow for risk of a bad tenant once in the 20 year 12 months upaid rent and 10k in damages. This reduced the gross return to 212k.

If the investor has to pay tax at the marginal rate along with PRSI and USC it cuts the total return to 106k. That approximately a compounded return of 3% on original investment not including increase in value

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 milu2021

Well said. Most people just look a the headline details and assume being a landlord is the secret ticket to millions. From a return on investment standpoint being an individual small time landlord is prob one of the lower returning places to deploy your capital.

for context i am a happy renter all my life (38 now) and have never owned a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Wonder when house price pressure zones come in for housing. Stop price gouging developers and home owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Amazing finally funds will have to sell the units they are holding on to. Some are best apartments in town. 2% return vs 6% returns Funds now say>>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Are these new rules already in effect?

Mortgage cost less than a rental for many. Your words describes your mindset.

Why not sell your house and live as a tenant? You wont because own house is own house.

Not everything is about money. Even money wise, mortgage is cheaper than a rental of 2K etc. Unless you renting a crap apartment at 1-1.2K.

Watch what happens when interest rates rise.

I remember in 2004 seeing friends laugh at friend s for renting.

Then a few years after I saw the laughing reverse.

And a few years after that it reversed again.

That is the nature of cycles. Whats better now may not always be better.

Advertisement