Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I hadn't played in a while so went to the range on Thursday in prep for today's round. I got the medium bucket of balls instead of my usual small. Predictably I got bored and smashed the last 15 or so in a couple of minutes. And then later I woke with a terrible pain in my neck.

I probably shouldn't have played but went out anyway. It was a bit better today. Some seriously questionable shots, especially at the start! Started triple, double in a medal. Third hole I went left of the green with my third and couldn't find it. Went on the car as a 9, so +10 after 3.

I actually played okay for the most part after that, but the back was getting worst. Three putted the 11th for +13 overall, but gave up then. I'm regretting going out at all now!

Post edited by blue note on

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

This game is infuriating.. played first 4 with doubles, then bogey, par, for index 2&4. Thought that's the corner turned, then a quad😥. DBL and single bogies then. Shocker of front 9. 14pts. Back 9 began to hit my irons better than I ever have, bogey golf 6 of the back 9, 2 holes I scratched with lost balls that I didn't think we're lost till I walked up. 😞 Par'd the 17th par 3. But alot happier coming in. No birdie chances but funny to be happy with 31pts just cause the back 9 felt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

34 points on Sunday for our final 18 hole comp until next spring. Very good tee to green but putting was poor. Happy enough with 34pts in the conditions (very leafy everywhere and damp) , however it was only good enough to just get me inside the top 120 places for the comp! If I shot my handicap there would have still been about about 80 lads scoring better. I'd say you'd need to be shooting 36 points+ to win our 12 hole comps for the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

33 points (14/19) on the Montogmerie course in Carton last Friday. Two scratches both came from finding deep greenside bunkers and still being in them three shots later. The heavy rain the day before did no favours to the sand, was like playing out of wet concrete. Driving was exceptional, think I only missed two fairways all day but approach play really let me down, regularly taking 4/5 shots to get down from inside 150 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

29 points over 15 holes at my home course on Saturday. Skipped 13-15 as there was a ladies society day in front of us and the course was backed up significantly. 5 pars on the front 9 which I think was a new best but doubled the other 4 unfortunately. Silly scratch on 10 trying to hulk up for a downwind drive (adjusted and nuked the 2nd ball obviously). Had 3 lip outs inside 10ft also.

Definitely was a good opportunity to beat my HC and delighted to be essentially +1 net after some recent poor showings. Happy with where my game is at the moment, I think I'll have decent shot at another mid-80s or possibly even low 80s round if the weather and light allow before the end of the year. HC is unlikely to change due to a lack of qualifying comps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

38 points, 79 strokes at the weekend in what will be the last 18 hole comp of the year for me and also my last qualifying score (though I wasn't actually aware of that at the time). Didn't feel like I was playing as well as I was though I was level par through 6 holes, a really bad 3 putt on the index 1 7th followed by a bogey on the 8th meant I was out in 39, +4 and 19 points. Generally the back 9 plays a bit easier so I was reasonably confident of a good score from that position. Naturally I then went double, double on the 10th and 11th and both were really poor outcomes from the middle of the fairway with my tee shots. Got back into a flow from there on was level par until the 16th index 2 where I 3 putted for bogey. Bad tee shot on the par 3 17th meant a bogey but followed that with a birdie on the last to come back in with 19 points and 40 strokes for a 79. 7.1 score differential and goes in as one of my lowest 8 scores with a cut of 1.1 to 10.3. Nice way to end the year but also some regrets about some poor shots, could easily have been a 75 looking back on it but as always I could have easily lost strokes as well so hard to complain too much. Most frustrating part is I finished 8th, 39 points won it and a whole host of us had 38 points.

3 birdies, 7 pars, 5 bogeys, 2 doubles and a triple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

Medal on sunday.

Started off grand. Had a look for birdie on first two holes. Felt good on the 3rd tee then proceeded to slice by tee ball off the planet because I swung far too easy. Reload was better but pulled a bad lie, swing 4, swing 5, unplayable 6, 7 dig out, 8 topped, 9 stitched the flag with an absolute beauty but picked up having took the max strokes. Nothing like the 3rd hole in corballis to screw up your sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

28pts Sunday first non qualifying event :( but on the plus we still play 18 holes doing the winter. Conditions are very soft and serious amount of leafs. I have been really struggling with me swing of late no penetration in my ball flight. I had 8 pts on front 9 with 4 scratches. But finally found something in my swing around the 8th/9th hole to finish with 20 pts that included a good few 3 pts as I have been putting so much effort into my swing. Its such a funny game like in the practise nets I'm hitting the ball well nice divots ball comes off strong and sinking into the club face. Then walk onto course and its like I totally forgot how to swing but hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel! :D

Its so frustrating as I was at 17.1 before covid hit and was flying it lowest I have ever been having being playing this beautiful game 16 years nearly. Now at 18.4 and struggled all season having played more than ever! Plus the fact that everyone I play with is lower than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Medal on Saturday after a few pints the night before.

Worst mistake ever. 12 on the 6th hole, lost 3 on the 7th which I didn't even finish so was out of the competition.

Ironically played well on the back 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Sunday comp is now a 14 hole comp. Decided after last weeks display that I wouldn't enter.. probably played my best golf since middle of summer. 13/14 fairways, have never hit my irons as well. As a result went out the back of a lot of the holes. Winter is going to be about my allignment, need to find something that I can fit into my routine that sorts this consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Haven't posted here in a while as i was playing a lot of Team golf and not much individual. And I'm glad to be back playing my own ball. I don't know how guys play on 2 or 3 interclub teams every year. i was on 2 and it was exhausting and not good for my golf. Much prefer range once or twice a week and play once or twice at the weekend.

Played a counting open comp. started off with birdie par birdie for my best ever start to a round. Didn't think too much about it. next 3 holes was par bogey par, going ok. the 6th is a par 3 and i never par it. went through the turn Even par for the round 35. Happy with how i played the 2 bogeys were down to 2 bad second shots that left me in hard spots. I still had putts to save the par's but didn't make them.

Birdied the 10th after shaving the hole for an eagle! I'm now -1 for 10 holes. I have 2 makeable birdies on the next two holes and par the index 2. Standing on the tee of the 14th @ -1. trying not to think about it. We are chatting on the tee waiting to tee off and we mention how this is the easiest hole on the course, index 18 and it probably is. just chit chat. Commentators curse, i 3 putt from 5 feet for a 7. I mange to par my way to the 18th from there, had 2 good looks at birdies also. On the 18th green, faced with a 15 footer for birdie and a level par round. I hit the putt just as I wanted to and it lipped out!

So a 72(+1) for my best* round ever. There was placing though so that will have to be equaled in summer rules or beaten to count in my eyes.

3 Birdies, 11 Pars, 2 Bogeys, 1 double. 33putts, 12/18 GIR

Down from 8.3 to 7.3. Dropping a card with a SD of 5.4 next round so will probably be back up to 8-ish unless I have a 75.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

If its placing everywhere its non qualifying so you wont drop any card as qualifying is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sounds like you are a lower than 18 handicapper in making. Most 18 handicappers would snap your hand off for a bogey on 4th in Elmgreen never mind a putt for birdie

You must hit the ball a mile??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Its qualifying alright, Placing in the rough but there is livestock (Cows/Sheep) on the course so I was told there is an exception in place? How true that is i do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

We had placing in the fairway and first cut, lift, clean and replace in the heavy rough a few weeks ago and were told it was counting. Didn't seem right to me but is that correct?

lost the club matchplay final on saturday. Very disappointed with how I played. Missed a short putt on the 1st to win the first hole. Nerves kicked in for sure, pulled a few putts on the day which I would normally be solid over. Pulling the first especially plants the seed of doubt

was 4 down after 8. Got it back to 1 down after 14 with two horrible short putt misses on 10 and 13. He had a shot on 16. Into a gale force wind and the rain. Had 15 footers on 16 and 17 to draw and win the holes respectively but missed both narrowly. Lost 2&1. Gutted, the other guys was a solid player but I know I under performed and gave away too many holes cheaply. SOmethign you cannot do when you are already giving up 6 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Definitely not. That's one of the many things I struggle with. I just can't hit driver at all. It's always a vicious slice so I've been sticking to 3 wood off the tee for now until I arrange a driver lesson or two.

It wasn't the 4th I had the birdie putt on. I think it was the 14th or 15th maybe. I chipped in for birdie on the 12th so it was after that.

Anyway my joy was short-lived. I went and played 9 holes in R&R a few days later and completely fell to pieces. It was like I'd never even seen a golf club before. That brought me crashing back down to earth fairly quickly 😂

As Far as I know open to correction but it can only be qualifying with lift clean and place on fairways only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

lift, clean and REplace in rough

As per mail last week from GUI, it can be qualifying with bunkers out of play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Tom Petty penned a song Walls that begins "Some Days are Diamonds"

Well today it was Diamonds. Shot an all time low of 80 Gross. Started the year with the aim to break 90 (done) never imagined I would/could have come close to breaking 80.

Round included One Treble Bogey, One Double 9 Pars 1 Birdie. Most important my Irons got me either on or around the green for the first time in a while. This resulted in 2 chip-ins (par/birdie) 10 Up/Downs (2 bunkers) no 3 putts and a total of 22 putts.

Short game was on fire but is normally good. My problem is getting around/on the green in reg.

Conditions of play where place in the rough and on fairway drop to first cut side of choice lift/clean and place.

32 points from a PH of 17. 19 on the front and 13 on the back. I mishit a lot more shots than I usually do. Chunked 4 chips in the round, not like me at all. And I had a few bad mishits on irons. On top of that, I threw away putts. From about 6 feet I had the line on 6 putts and left them inches short. Criminal to drop shots like that. 5 three putts in total, 36 putts overall. But if I'd just hit the putts that would have been 32 putts and 36 points instead of the other way around!

There was just one bad shot choice in the round. I hit a three wood from the 12th tee finally. The landing area is actually quite narrow for the driver and my 3 wood is straighter anyway. It was a perfect shot - 234m and middle of the fairway. The green was a 4 iron away, but the ball was on a huge slope. I was about a foot above me. I decided even a mishit 4i would be a decent layup so had a go. Turns out a mishit 4i could also be a lost ball.

I have lost balls (and seen other guys do same) on that layup short of the green on 12. I'm not sure what the line is for the layup. Probably farther left of where it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

Played our Sunday singles yesterday and had a really strange round. I made absolutely nothing all day on the greens, missed 7 birdie putts. Sank 2 of them so had 9 birdie putts in the round but missed 9 greens as well. Our course is particularly wet and boggy around the greens so if you barely miss it you’re chipping/pitching off muck. I’d say I missed all 9 greens by no more than 10 feet and my 60 degree, which is my favourite club, wasn’t able to perform miracles off the mud. Got up and down on a few occasions but missing greens this time of year is treacherous.

If it was drier I reckon I’d have shot a best ever round but ended up shooting 80 which is not bad considering the conditions and the time of year. Usually the clubs are put away once October comes around but the higher temperatures have extended play for me this year.

I hope to be down to 7 or 8 handicap by the start of next summer so playing in these tougher conditions can only benefit me in the long run.

You can lose balls anywhere on that course! If you're going for it, aiming right is the smart choice. You can come up 30m short and at worst be in a bunker. Whereas left of the green will potentially be a lost ball if you run long.

I came up about 130m short though. Hard to plan for that!

12 is a tough hole for the index it has - the tee shot is full of danger, O/B down the left and then into the middle of the dunes down the right

But if you get it right then it is a birdie opportunity. I go for the green when I past the dune that protrudes most into the fairway. You have to give it enough club, I aim right at the middle of the green but err on the right side. There is plenty of space over there as long as you pack enough yardage in there. Short and there is a world of pain, left and long you are in a world of pain. I have seen people roll over the top of the beach access path and never see their ball again. Great golf hole

Tis a nice hole alright. The drive looks a lot easier than it is. At it's narrowest point you've about 30 meters to land it in and that's right where I would be looking to land it. I think of the second in Tramore where I used to play an iron from the tee as I had about the same space to land it in. I lost too many on it with the driver. But on that hole there was no real advantage to hitting the driver. At worst, you'll lose the ball. At best, the green will still be out of range in two. And the not the best, not the worst outcome was the green being in range in two and you'd be tempted to go for it with a drain running in front of the green and bushes behind it. Whereas on 12 in Corballis, unless it's into the wind it turns the hole into a very reasonable par 4, with the only real problem being that the second shot it blind.

I don't think short with your approach is the worst unless you're very short. Left of the green or long (unless you're long and right) are potentially lost balls. But if you're aiming to land the ball on the front of the green you'd want to be 20 meters short to hit the real trouble. Unless it's a real mishit you shouldn't be anything like that short.

One of my playing partners had what I suspect was his first ever eagle putt on that hole on Sunday. He sliced a 3 wood for his second and it never really got off the ground. I'd say it just cleared the bank and ran a mile onto the front of the green. It counts just as much as a good one though. And he made a cracking two putt for the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

I forgot to post this a while back and only remembered today.

It was a Sunday comp about a month ago, probably one of the last ones for GOTY etc. Anyway, I was doing my usual warmup, chipping and pitching on the practice area. Next, I heard a kind of a splash/squelch noise and looked up to the silhouette of a bird gliding away. Ah ffs he'd only just sh*t on top of me. Glanced my hat and the back of my top, was luck not to be completely destroyed. Not too bad I thought, I was already feeling good already and looking forward to hopefully shooting a decent score. Well, I only went out and shot +11 net - 4 putts, chunks, OBs everywhere - you name it. Sh*tting luck is not good luck and seagulls should be nowhere a midlands course 😕

If you view the world with a right-left shot shape the 12th is treacherous. First of all you've only hit driver once on the course until now. And you'll need to send it out right over guaranteed 'lost-ball' rough. If it comes back then it's probably going oob through the fence. If it doesn't come back then the carry required to reach fairway on that line is something like 260metres which means you're trying to give it everything. If you can't tell 12 has caused me a lot of heartache in the past.

• Advertisement

Actually, even the second shot could be a problem with a left to right shape.

But the lack of drivers hit on that course makes driving much more difficult. The first driver opportunity is the 3rd - either a narrow landing spot or a big carry. Potential lost ball either side of the fairway. Second is the 12th - small landing spot, lost ball right, OB left. On a normal course I suspect I'd be leaving the driver in the bag on those, especially if they were my first drives of the day. But I like hitting driver so I tend to whip it out!

Advertisement