Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol "remarkable".

Even though he claims that all measures will be permanent which you believe is false?

And even though he claims that it's all part of a global communist conspiracy which you also don't believe?

And even though he called for people to attend a protest that no one showed up to, no one took at all seriously and accomplished nothing?

What's "remarkable" about it?

Also it's really sad that you've become this desperate to have people back you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Tork

With the covid rates as high as they are, of course "normal" isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future. We're in the middle of a global pandemic, with a persistent bugger of a virus which is mutating and becoming more contagious. The vaccines have proved to be a disappointment, especially now that Delta has become the predominant strain. And so, infection and hospitalisation rates haven't gone down like what we'd hoped. Measures like wearing masks to reduce droplets in the air (it is an airborne disease after all), keeping one's distance from others etc. are hardly revolutionary. Would you be happy to go for surgery in a theatre that hadn't been cleaned and be operated on by people with dirty hands and not wearing masks?

9/11 is a completely different case and I get the distinct impression that if I go down the road of the conflicts in the middle east, you will seize upon these straws like a drowning man holding onto a lifebelt. So let's not go there.

But NPHET have made a point of never saying that normal life would resume. Always a 'semblance of normality'. Almost 100% of the eligible population has been vaccinated. Surely it isn't still in the middle of a pandemic. Unless you subscribe to the argument that until every single person in the world has been vaccinated, which won't happen, then Ireland has to have restrictions.

I mention 9/11 to show how temporary things can become permanent. It was twenty years ago and still the state of emergency hasn't been lifted.

Why would NPHET make promises it can't keep? We're dealing with a moving target here. In an ideal world, Delta wouldn't have come along and buggered up the trajectory along which things were moving. As to where we are in the pandemic, who knows? I don't think anybody actually knows, despite your believe that this is all a grand plan.

And notice how again @Gortanna is avoiding the point again.

He was asked to explain why masks would be permanent. He said he would provide an explanation "later".

But now he's trying to shift the topic and is hoping people will forget.

Why do you think he's doing this?

It's very deliberate and he knows he's doing it. I genuinely don't understand why conspiracy theorists like him do this or how they explain it to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

America is not in a "state of emergency"

But....

To quote a line you have so often used in here.

This is an Irish site and we are only talking about Ireland.

What's the nefarious goal that's achieved with covid certs or masks? The latter is just an incredibly sensible approach to reduce the spread of a virus. The certs similarly allow for conditions far closer to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Brianhere's post is completely debunked.

Terrorism and it's continued threat has been explained to you.

The measures are due to the virus and nothing else, children can understand this, you don't want to because it doesn't complement your fantasies.

Excuses, excuses and more excuses.

We just need to glance across at our neighbours to see how utterly useless masks and certs actually are.

All just Covid theatre from a government terrified to lead.

This thread is another glowing example of why people dismiss conspiracy theorists. It's always the same paranoia and ignorance, just repackaged for whatever is happening in the world right now.

• Advertisement

And yet we keep being told that this time is different from all the other times conspiracy theorists claimed the exact same shite.

Covid, bird flu, swine flu, sars they are all supposed to have been the start of the NWO/global communist/satanic take over.

Conspiracy theorists won't even acknowledge those failed predictions. Like everything that upsets them, they just pretend those don't exist.

I wonder what the next one will be and how hard those conspiracy theorists will deny being like the theorists claiming stuff about covid...

Do you agree with me that history is replete with examples of measures that were said at the time to be temporary, but ended up being permanent? It's really not really a question of whether you agree or not because it's true.

Hasn't been debunked. Your saying it has doesn't make it true.

Maybe so, but they're permanent.

History is full of pandemics and epidemics. You weren't wearing a mask for no reason before Covid were you? Exactly, so this is bollox.

I said upthread that we're dealing with a moving target here (the new strains of Covid and the rising case numbers). You'd think Gortanna would understand what this means, seeing as he's forever moving the goalposts.

And, once again, you miss the point I'm making when I make comparisons with other countries. Comparisons are fine. It's people saying 'look, that country lifted a measure so that means that Ireland will' that I disagree with. Ireland stands alone in the erstwhile free world in having no opposition and no functioning fourth estate. You need both to prevent the government from doing whatever it wants.

Lol. You're demanding answers to your random tangent questions all while continuously ignoring the central question of this thread.

Complete dishonesty and hypocrisy.

Do you agree you can't provide a rational, sane reason to believe masks will be permanent? Cause that's what you're showing every time you ignore the question.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and were those measures kept more permanently because they were deemed useful. Or were they kept because Bill Gates/ Klaus Schwab/ Lizards had pre-planned for it to happen like that?

Just one example of a temporary measure might be pub licensing hours in the UK which were not a thing, then they needed to not have as many drunk people working with explosives so restricted the hours of the sale of alcohol, then they decided to keep those restrictions permanently, then they dropped the restrictions 90 odd years later and allowed 24 hour licencing. So not permanent and not brought in because of some evil conspiracy, and the rules changed as society decided that it was more appropriate to change things.

Other than that it is clearly not ALL covid restrictions, what reason is there for masks to be made permanent? Even if it happened that we were still asked to be wearing masks next winter, is that going to be due to covid or some other reason?

Title "All Covid-19 measures are permanent" - keyword: all, debunked, many have been dropped. A false statement.

First sentence - "All social/population control measures introduced by the state security apparatus as a result of this health scare will be, and have always intended to be, permanent in my view" - are we under lockdown? Nope, so false.

This has been posted in the thread already multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I mention 9/11 to show how temporary things can become permanent. It was twenty years ago and still the state of emergency hasn't been lifted.

Has the threat of terrorists bringing down planes disappeared in the intervening 20 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭brianhere

"Cabinet Ministers agree on primary legislation for extension of Covid passes, masks and physical distancing beyond February 9.

These powers were recently extended by Health Minister Stephen Donnelly until February 9. Ministers agree today that these powers will now be replaced by a single piece of primary legislation.

This legislation will stretch beyond February 9, paving the way for the requirement for Covid passes, mask wearing and other public health measures to be in place for longer."

( https://www.independent.ie/news/cabinet-ministers-agree-on-primary-legislation-for-extension-of-covid-passes-masks-and-physical-distancing-beyond-february-9-41035704.html .)

Even I think the journalist Michael Regan is raising the word permanent in relation to this step of introducing primary legislation to put in place all these things after 2nd Feb 2022.

So that solves that, social distancing, masks and periodic gene therapy injections from Big Pharma are all going to be compulsory going into the future in Ireland.

http://www.orwellianireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What are you talking about when you're refering to "gene therapy injections"?

Are you refering to vaccines? If so, you're just outright lying again.

Why are you lying? Don't you understand that lies like this is why you weren't taken seriously, why no one went to your protest and why your thread has become a dumping ground for abject nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Where did it mention permanent? I guess you didn't read the article in full?

"A government spokesperson confirmed that there will be an end date for the powers in the new legislation.

"The Government will not look to have these additional powers for longer than necessary,” the spokesperson added. "

Oh right, and why will these things be compulsory?

1. Run away
    2. Mention your really vague Communist plot
    3. Deflect
    4. Make up a rationalisation
    5. Insult/dismiss

I'm not getting any response for my assertion that Covid is a moving target. The virus that presented itself here last March is not the one that's raging here now. And so, we're now dealing with a more contagious strain that the vaccines aren't as effective against. Because things have opened up so much (i.e. not what we had last year and earlier this year) and people are mixing more in social situations, the rates have gone through the roof. No country's way of handling Covid is perfect and you'd think that if there was a grand plan you'd see more uniformity in the response. I'm still not sure what the nefarious intent behind the measures are but you'd think grounding flights and cutting off the internet would be a more effective measure. Not trying to get people to stop giving each other a contagious, airborne virus that spreads when they do what they enjoy the most. Every country is making things up as they go along because that's what happens when you get a virus like Covid. We'd be in a very different place if Delta hadn't come along.

You're not getting a response because conspiracy theorists aren't able to answer you and this upsets them.

But rather than just admit this, they ignore it and pretend they don't see it. Maybe they think that if they do this, other people can't see your point either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

"the ignoring will be permanent"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think you'll find it's a Communist/Fascist plot.

*doffs cap*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

So what turned out to be permanent?

• Do we still have a 2km limit of travel from our homes?
    • Do we still have a 5km limit of travel from our homes?
    • Are restaurants and pubs and indoor hospitality closed?
    • Are clothes shops closed, or any shops?
    • Are primary and secondary school students at home distance learning?
    • Are colleges shut, with distance learning?
    • Are spectators banned from small sporting events?
    • Are large sporting events and concerts banned?
    • Do you still have to quarantine if you fly to other countries now?
    • Are we discouraged from non-essential travel?
    • Are there any states currently are on the list for Mandatory Hotel Quarantine?

In your latest post you are obsessing about minor details. Why on earth would you now be concerned that some legislation might be extended to facilitate some fast measures being brought back in if they were needed over the winter?

Your reaction only makes sense if you believe the virus doesn't exist, and that the measures were unnecessary, and that they were simply an exercise in making us 'obedient' to the government. And if you believe that kind of stuff then I think you are disconnected from reality and I can't see what else can be said to help you see sense!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement