Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That level of change has to occur. As I have said elsewhere, the first thing I would do is ban the building of all houses outside of existing metropolitan areas, town and village hinterlands. The time of having a house six miles up a boreen has to be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The Boards.ie Thanos wants to wipe out 2/3rds of the Irish population with a click of his fingers....

Look, everyone counts their own sins as worth half of the sins of others (not in religious way)

Not everyone is so small minded and anti action on climate change, there are lots of people who live in the cities and the countryside who recognise that we need to act to prevent climate change, but there are a small percentage of people who are just selfish and ignorant and only care about themselves.

The farmer will look at the fellah in a city sitting in traffic burning fuel, while he will leave a tractor idling in a field for a half an hour going nowhere, the farmer will look at the person in the city throwing a cigarette butt on the ground, while he's polluting the groundwater with runoff from his nitrate fertiliser, the farmer claims to be green, while clearing acres of woodland to make space for a few cows (or to sell them as sites to the other rural dwellers who live in one off mansions in the countryside)

You can be guaranteed that the self righteous 'rural' people of Ireland will be the ones who block the new Grid infrastructure at every single opportunity because it offends their eyes to look at a pylon on or near 'their land', meanwhile city dwellers in apartments have to just put up with all kinds of development and inconveniences that nobody ever asks them about, and they never get a say in any of it because they don't own anything

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...should go down well with many, should also work well for our growing mental health problems! lets not go full retard on this one, we certainly have to go up in our larger towns and cities, current sprawl rates are unsustainable, but its not actually healthy to have the majority living in high density environments

Not suggesting the majority living in high density environments, but the Irish pattern of ribbon development and one-off housing is not sustainable. Clustered housing close to village and town facilities is the way forward.

• Advertisement

Most tenants have a clear knowledge of their heating costs and very quickly they begin to understand that they are now fuel rich rather than fuel poor, with income released to help them live better and healthier.

As one of Respondʼs tenants has said:

“The upgrade of our heating system has meant my familyʼs house is more pleasant to live in and cheaper to run. We do not fear the onset of the winter now as we know weʼll be able to cope”

@Namloc the fuel allowance is currently 784 euro from September to April. The Programme for Government has set a target of retrofitting over 500,000 homes by 2030, of which it is expected that approximately 36,500 of those with be local authority owned homes.

If 25% of those LA homes keep receiving fuel allowance too that’s 7,154,000 euro being given to those who, as per the quotes above, are already deemed “fuel rich” 50% of LA tenants would make it 14,308,000. That’s just one yard worth of money.

is it just me or are there better ways of spending those millions of carbon taxes?

true, but you can see we re currently defaulting, we re not taking these matters seriously, we re currently experiencing a slow row back on planned public transport infrastructure, a default towards the private sector to provide our critical needs, including households, none of this will truly work!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

know someone just quoted 90k for a deep retrofit of a 80s bungalow. that's a lot of savings to try and recover.

The point of the carbon tax is not to generate revenue, but to change behaviour and to make lower carbon energy more competitive

Of course, the carbon tax, accompanied with subsidies for fossil fuels is just stupid. instead of campaigning against carbon taxes, we should be campaigning against subsidised fossil fuels.

Phase out the fuel allowances and pay for these people to change to an electric heating system with better insulation

Where are all these people who are opposed to the green party raising taxes when fossil fuel industry worldwide is subsidised by 10 million euros a minute

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/energy-and-resources/fossil-fuel-industry-gets-subsidies-of-9-5m-a-minute-imf-study-1.4692682

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Hold your horses there for a second.

You are the one pushing the narrative that carbon taxes for the 2010 -2020 decade were used only for the purposes specified. I have been saying I believe they were just lumped in with general taxation and spent at the discretion of the Minister for Finance. It`s up to you to back up your claim. You do not need to go through subsequent budgets in detail to do that. Just answering the question were they or were they not ring fenced for the purposes stated in 2010 for the following decade.

The rest as usual is just attempted deflection waffle. My question was, is this 1 million electric cars by 2030 fantasy or reality ?

If it`s any help I can provide you with the annual new car sales where BEV`s for this year came to just 7.8% .

• Advertisement

I have produced the budget statements where the various Ministers stated what the carbon tax is being used for. You obviously believe the Ministers were lying. It is now over to you to prove that they were.

As far as I can see, the revenue from carbon tax was never great enough to cover the costs of the uses it was to be put to, so the Ministers were telling the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yeah, that won't work either. I'm not cycling to work in the pissing rain that we get here in this country. I don't care about the Dutch, their country is largely flat. I cycled to work when I first started out. It was a nightmare especially in winter. Won't be be going back to that again and I'd imagine a lot of Irish would agree with me. And there is no public transport near me either, so that's dead in the water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It took the Dutch 40 years and massive investment in transport to change behaviours. Dutch cycling infrastructure is light years ahead of even the best cycling infrastructure being proposed in Ireland. Much of Irish cycling infrastructure comprises a painted line at the side of the road - that's not going to incentivise many people out of their cars.

Rail transport infrastructure in the Netherlands again is light years ahead of Ireland - there's 2,300km of electrified rail in the Netherlands, in Ireland we have 53km 🤣 or 2.3% of what they have. The Dublin Transport study published yesterday recognises that by aiming to have just 11.5% of journeys done in the GDA by cycling by 2042 while 50% of journeys will still be by car in 2042. With ambition like that people will just stay in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭opinionated3

How does carbon tax change behaviour? If I'm taxed more, I have less spare money. Which means i can't afford to retrofit my house or buy an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

electricity can be rationed between households - those without electricity can run their car on flintstone power

Yup, a carbon tax to change behaviours is absolutely useless without viable and, critically, affordable alternatives. Otherwise it's just a revenue raising measure. Increasing carbon taxes while expecting people to take out huge debt to retrofit their homes is absolutely indicative of a government who have lost complete understanding of the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Only one thing I know about electric heating and that is that any form of space or water heating by electricity is expensive and the costs are only going to go one way. By all means promote it, but citizens should also be aware they are being sold a pup and put in a situation where they will be entirely reliant on a single source of energy. Lambs to the slaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

You need to get out of the city a bit more often, let me give you an example.

If I build a new house in the field beside me what difference does that make to anything?

The road is there and has to be maintained so another house makes no difference,

The ESB poles are there, water connection from the local water scheme, your have to install your own sewage system, so why would anyone want to stop this happen is beyond me, but I have come to the conclusion that its pure jealousy al lot of the time, why would anyone want to rear kids in a dirty city when the can do it the clean country air.

All those people opposed to green part taxes and the phasing out all fossil fuels on the timescale proposed are doing the maths and realising that they cannot afford those taxes, and not only would they be bankrupt, they would have power blackouts, freezing in their homes and no means of affordable transport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You're wrong there. In the absence of alternatives, carbon taxes result in rationing behaviour, and force a ranking of priorities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It helps the people who undertake the 50% of journeys that are under 5km by car that maybe there is a better way.

These arguments always work off the basis that all car journeys are necessary which is fundamentally untrue. Does it impact rural dwellers, who are generally actually more reliant on their cars, more? Yes, but that is a trade-off that has been chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I have to say i knew COP would be a failure but the extent of the failure is incredible. Greenwashing is an industry that seems to gaining momentum though , lot of money to be made there. 😊

If you cannot show where this statement by the minister was ring fenced to ensure this tax was spent as stated or show figures to back up it actual was spent as stated then it was just lumped in with general taxation and the minister was being very economical with the truth.

On the question of 1 million electric cars by 2030 being fantasy or reality. In your own good time. I gave you some figures to be going on with, if you need any more to help with your answer just let me know. I`ll be happy to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Great to see those social units being retrofitted tbh. Some of them are in an awful state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

But if you cant ration certain behaviours then what then? I cant get the bus to work because there is none, I cant not drive to work, so now I just drive but am penalised more for it.

Same thing goes for heating fuels, and many other things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No tax intake is ringfenced as you well know but you're being deliberately obtuse. If the expenditure on these issues is equal or greater than the income from the carbon taxes then to all intents and purposes that is where they are going.

Our emissions have gone up every year since 2010 when the carbon tax came except for a blip due to Covid but is rapidly rising again so not sure what your point is there.

For the purpose of debate, I'm going to assume that was a genuine post and that that you're interested in answers to those questions.

Carbon taxes are designed to start out low, and increase over time. The whole point is that they are not a big burden at the start, but people making long term decisions will factor in the cost of increasing fuel bills when choosing between polluting vs less polluting options

If you're unable to afford to renovate your house now because of a couple of hundred quid worth of carbon taxes you're currently paying, then TBH, you're in bigger trouble than you think.

If your gas boiler is about to pack up after reaching the end of it's life span, you are incentivised to choose a high efficiency gas boiler, instead of the cheaper more inefficient one

As heating costs go up, You might be prompted to grasp the low hanging fruit in keeping your house warmer, install thermostatic radiator valves, fix the draughty window that you've been meaning to fix for ages, you might get the old lagging jacket replaced etc

If you are planning on changing your car, you might buy one that has better fuel economy out of the options you can afford.

Carbon taxes are not just consumer taxes, they also affect producers and businesses. If I am making a widget generating my own power from rooftop solar and transporting them on electric vehicles, my competitor making the same widget using fossil fuels is charged a couple of percent of carbon tax on top of the other costs of production. The greener producer can either charge a lower rate, or grow their business faster and out compete the less sustainable business

if two identical products are on a shelf, one of them is more expensive because they are less carbon efficient, then you're likely to buy the cheaper one. this incentivises consumers to prefer greener

To take an extreme example, Tesla generated most of their profits in recent years by selling excess carbon credits under the cap and trade scheme. This is a cost to polluting industry, and a revenue stream to Tesla.

Cap and trade and carbon credits are intended to ramp up over time, to reward early adopters, and increase the incentives to change to late adopters. The cost benefit is, that it costs more to be an early adopter as the technology is new and expensive, but those costs are offset by the incentives, but by the time the incentives are phased out, and the dis-incentives are ramped up (increasing carbon taxes, lower carbon credits), the technology is mature, and price competitive with the old technology thereby it's a no brainer that they should move naturally to the lower carbon technology.

We have a roadmap to get to a sustainable global economic system, we just need to avoid these tools from being corrupted so badly that the roadmap is completely hijacked (some corruption is inevitable btw, so while they should be investigated as best we can, the existence of corruption does not necessarily invalidate the entre proposal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

On top of that you'll then be living in a hermetically sealed space (no air out and no air in) which will eventually fill up the wards/ICU. Not gonna happen in my house. I'm suffocating even thinking about it. Nothing like a good draught to air a house out.

Advertisement