Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

OK so there is an acceptable risk level then ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

previously you made a point of saying the unvaccinated are at more risk of spreading covid in a short period of time (your attempt to dismiss the household infection study) - but given that unvax/vaxxed share the same peak viral load that should make them equally likely to spread it in the short term outside the home.

You dont know if you'll happen to meet a vaxxed person at the time of peak viral load or not, same applies to the unvaccinated. So in terms of maximum possible instantaneous risk to transmission, its the same in both cases.

Given there are more vaccinated people (& these are unrestricted from entering bars/restaurants etc) it makes it far more likely that a vaccinated person would give you covid, than an unvaccinated person (10 times less likely to meet one in the first place) who managed to sneak into a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At some point yes, in Ireland, we'll likely see that next year (again the high vax rates means that only a few are self-flagellating themselves with restrictions), New Zealand aren't at that point yet and will probably take longer than Ireland does, but they have been much less restricted for the majority of the pandemic, so swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Is this account operated by multiple users ?

That post has actually some sense in it ...

• Advertisement

You seem to be fixated on the "peak viral load" finding while trying to ignore everything else (less likely to be infected, clear the viral load faster), I called this out last time and, like clockwork, you're trying to repeat it, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭watchingfromafar

You say that but then it will be justified.

Vaccine passes for internal use in Ireland were complete conspiracy in early 2020. Did that stop being conspiracy? Do you have an issue with them now?

Will you have an issue with the expanded use of passes if it happens? What will you do if it does happen?

Lockdown is a restriction on movement. It's that simple.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

2 years ago it was conspiracy to think passes would be used internally. 1 year ago our leaders said it wouldn't happen.

Clearly people have no line at which they won't cross with enough mental gymnastics.

"natural immunity" will be highly variable depending on the severity of infection, so not necessarily "better" than a vaccination (there's a good bit of comparative data on it out on the net, or good to discuss on the vaccine thread).

The drop off isn't to 0 (just look at the BBC article for some numbers and it can't be linked through to the paper) so the effect wanes but doesn't disappear. The most visible part of that (and some people will argue about it as we don't know the true value) is the effective drop of R0 for delta from between 4-8 down to 1.1 with minimal restrictions in place, if there is significant waning, we should also see significantly higher cases (i.e. exponential rather than linear growth).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Given there are more vaccinated people (& these are unrestricted from entering bars/restaurants etc) it makes it far more likely that a vaccinated person would give you covid, than an unvaccinated person (10 times less likely to meet one in the first place) who managed to sneak into a bar.

I see nobody addressing this point: re certs. People refer only to risk reduction arising from vaccination, but never refer to probability of infection. Certs are really a joke in this sense. Fundamentally, this lack of basic analysis is why we're in the situation we're in, this winter.

Vaccine passports for international travel were expected from early on (pretty much as soon as the vaccine results came out), internal use came about due to delta and you'd argue has been pretty effective both at driving uptake and keeping case counts low while allowing reopening.

I do see them gone from next Spring in Ireland, barring a disaster over winter, there just won't be a need (and yes, it means waiting till spring to see if I'm right or if it is in fact an attempt to control us via vaccinations). But I am covering myself with "barring a disaster" which I get to define when we get there ;)

So if I'm restricted on moving into a pub? What is that? Lockdown?

Not sure why you are putting natural immunity in quotation marks.

In any case, its obvious the vaccines do not stop the spread enough to justify covid passes

Yes I do notice you like to give yourself lots of plausible deniability.

This winter will be a disaster for case numbers (not that I care about them) because the vaccinated will spread covid indoors among themselves.

We are nowhere near the peak.

Jan 10th. Ill put my money on being the top of delta

Yes, I have an issue with them now.

Yes, if there is 'expanded use' I'll have an issue. What will I do if it does happen? Dunno. That's currently a hypothetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

In Ireland we have a sheepish mentality to anything our supposed betters hoist on us. I know people very worried about where we are headed as a nation and society (not just in Ireland btw) with our inability to discuss issues without being labelled.

Even in the states something as simple as questioning or making fun of the current American president seems to mean you are automatically a Trump supporter. I personally had no problem getting vaccinated but i've as much respect for anyone who decides not to get the jab as someone who does.

These passes may well stay with us forever to track our health status as well as control us and anyone who doesn't think that is a possibility is in complete denial.

Well, that's just ridiculous. No. Before covid, when pubs were closed at 4am, were we all living in lockdown?

You have to explain the big reduction in R another way then (or find ways to say that R0 from delta is lower, or spin it that there is enough with natural immunity to cause the effect).

• Advertisement

Before covid pubs were allowed to open and trade - all summer pubs were not allowed to open and trade. They were locked down for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Yes of course world leaders meet and "compare notes" as it were, or whatever it is they discuss at conferences. And yes we have centralised agencies like the EMA, ECDC, WHO etc etc., which to my mind is a good thing to foster international relations and cooperation. I just can't buy the notion that all these vastly differing governments, mostly democratically elected every 4/5 years, are all gunning for vaccines and vaccine passes the world over. To what end ? Honestly, for me, this all falls down when motive comes into it. Nah, I just just don't see it tbh.

IMO sometimes the easy answer is the right one. A global pandemic, almost unheard of in the last hundred years or so, nobody really having a clue exactly how to handle it, for sure a little bit of groupthink, no doubt about that, and western populations who are largely conditioned to having whatever they want, when they want it, after near on 70 years of relative peace and prosperity since world war 2. We're just not used to being told "no" or restricted in what we can do - and that's a good thing, but honestly I just can't buy that this is all part of a nefarious plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes. Alan Kelly isn't even in Government and he is trying to lay down the law to NPHET re what they can and can't say about boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ah the Hermain Caine awards, a subreddit full of people cheering on the deaths of others, the so called “empathetic” people of society who fall under the facade of being so selfless that they’d never dare put anyone above themselves. Where’s Raind to call posters sociopaths when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Can't believe people are using that disgusting little hole of a subreddit to justify anything.

It's an interesting little place where people who thought their actions didn't have consequences, actually have consequences. Each death is a tragedy, seeing husbands leaving behind newborns sons and daughters all because of a wrong headed belief is awful. Hopefully some see the stories and avoid those same tragedies, it's the modern day retelling of the boy who stuck his arm out of the window on the bus and lost the arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The Herman Cain award bit, reveals so much about you. You follow a sub Reddit that tracks people who've died from covid, just to glout about it. It takes a very sick mind to actually revel in the deaths of others, which is what that sub does; anyone here can have a look themselves to confirm that. There's not one bit of moral decency on a sub like that, it's full of spite and irrational hatred, which says so much about covid zealots.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement