Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

When he fails to make contact with the ball for the first goal, its Ali and 3 West Ham players - Philipps would have relished headers against them, Konate would have been more physical - we lacked any presence or physicality in our own box. Defenders shoving and jostling West Ham players before the corner etc not to be seen. Soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Hindsight is great and all but maybe a back 3 of Konate, VVD and Phillips would have worked.

Phillips is perfect for the Stoke wannabes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Why did none of the pundits bring up Trents position ?

Look at his position on the first corner & the second one both times he is at the back in his designated space which is fair enough but once its clear there is nobody near him & he is to far out why on earth does he not then take some responsibility & just put himself on the back post, He probably would have stopped both goals by doing so, Insteps he just stand miles out the back where there is no Westham players,

I understand he is there as a set position but surely players need to use there head & move to danger,

Same as how nobody took it upon themselves for either goal to get themselves between Antonio & Allisson , Normally when you do the attacker tries so hard to get to the keeper you'll get a free out,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

The big block VD does at the end of the first half too Trent makes a kick at the air when the cross is coming in instead of getting tight, he was very poor defensively on Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gerrard is being linked with the Villa job.

Id like to see him take that to see if he really has something about him as a manager in the premier league with Villa’s owner backing him in the transfer market with some of his multi billions.

Might show us one way or another if Gerrard is up to managing Liverpool after Klopp leaves.

• Advertisement

Fabrizio Romano is saying Liverpool love Danjuma at Villarreal and if there is a chance to get him in January they will look at it, however as always they won't panic buy or over pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Makes no sense that.

Surely he'd have been on the radar when at Bournemouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They only bought him in the summer, will cost stupid money

Its a midfielder we need anyway. £50m for Bissouma would do nicely I'd say

I wouldn't be touching an alleged rapist on police bail and it could be a long time before he even gets to trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Rapist? He's on bail for an alleged sexual assault.

I doubt Brighton are playing him if their is anything in it.

If there is a risk this could be another Mendy scenario, then absolutely no way should the consider him. But he wouldn’t be the first footballer to have someone try to get some money by making a false allegation. Man Utd seemed to be confident that Ronaldo had nothing to answer for.

I really like Bissouma as a player but no way we or any club touch him until that is done ,

Even if you forget about ethics there's no way you would be taking the financial risk

Ronaldo case was thrown out of court & the civil case failed to ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

He was linked during the summer. Most people turned up their noses to the idea that Liverpool might sign him. 'why are we going for a championship player' etc etc

That’s my point, just because the accusation exists, doesn’t mean he is going to be convicted.

Yes but Ronaldo case had already been thrown out of court, So they club knew the civil case had little to no chance even if it went bad it would just be a pay off and no jail time or anything that would effect him playing for United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Ronaldo case had little chance of going anywhere alright, as the most (very) damning evidence was inadmissible.

In Bissouma’s case, he’s been arrested, and the charges are still there. It makes sense that Brighton play him because he’s innocent until proven guilty and is already their employee. It also makes sense not to newly employ him until the case is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If settling for a nearly 400k dollar settlement and gag order is a failure, then it failed.

A dirty business all around, lawyers on both sides have a lot to answer for morally imo, but nonetheless, the case is closed and is over

The Bousouma case is still running, unless it is finalised personally I wouldn't be touching him, there are a lot of good players out there.

The Ronaldo case was dismissed because the woman's lawyer used privileged communications between Ronaldo and his lawyers that were stolen and leaked to the press.

It wasn't dismissed because the Nevada judge though he was innocent or guilty it was dismissed on a point of law.

That stolen evidence was very damning towards Ronnie.

• Advertisement

Net spend since December 2018, - 3.6m. That is incredibly impressive considering what has been won, but annoying that they didn’t go out and buy a top midfielder in the summer, surely Pool can afford to spend big to replenish a squad which is showing obvious deficiencies.

Some talk tonight of Eddie Howe wanting Michael Edwards to go to Newcastle. They are friends since their time together at Portsmouth years ago.

Now there was also talk last week of the ex Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo going for the job also.

So this could be a case of putting out names in the hope that one sticks.

Edwards has been linked with the Newcastle role since the moment the Saudi's took over.

Last week he was linked to be taking over at RB Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

The Coutinho transfer totally skews those numbers. If we hadn't totally hoodwinked Barca into paying £121m for him we'd be 10th, which would still be tremendous financial management but the Coutinho deal just puts a massive cherry on top.

I'd say the reluctance to spend big on a midfielder this summer is twofold:-

1. Covid has presented a big threat to club incomes so prudent financial management is likely how FSG wanted to play out this year.
    2. Klopp may genuinely have felt that Gini's place can be taken by one of Naby lad, Jones and / or Elliott albeit Jones and Elliott are different MF players to Gini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,491 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Elliott must be back soon? I thought it was a 12 week injury tops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

To be honest, it’s incredibly frustrating that we haven’t pushed on and built a real powerful squad. To come out of this period with only 1 league is annoying.

It feels like we are constantly trying to squeeze every drop out of what we have and while that’s admirable, there needs to be some proper investment once the stadium etc is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

You like a wind up, fair play, iirc the pessimistic opinion was that he was out for the season, the optimistic was that he was out for the rest of the year, hopefully we will see him on a pitch some time in January....

Its been 3 windows since we won the league (i don't think we will win it this season so that'll be up to 5 windows) & 5 windows since we won the Champions league, ( we mite win it this seaosn )

The - 3.6 million is the reason for that, not the reason we won the Champions league in 2019 & League in 2020

Have to agree,

Its why i get so annoyed at the silly points drops & people say oh cope on we are still a top team,

Yes we are but it won't last forever so we need to win things NOW , 2nd isn't good enough right now,,

Who knows it may be 20 years or more after Klopp leaves that we ever reach this level again ,

• Advertisement

FSG are relying on Klopp's brilliance to keep us competitive. Its buying FSG a lot of time as Klopp seems to be very particular in who he wants in the squad and they can get away with not spending a lot of money on players.

In the background they getting the stadium upgraded and working on various revenue streams which they can lean on when Klopp leaves or when the squad starts to show its age.

Its a bit uninspiring when the teams around us are spending a lot and getting more competitive.

I think the squad is showing its age now, still fantastic players, and before anyone says I’m am stating they are finished, I most certainly am not. But quite a lot of the squad are hovering around the 30 mark, so an infusion of quality younger players should be on the cards.

Looks like Gerrard is off to Villa.

I heard 12 weeks, that will be at the start of dec. You'd expect him to have full strength in the ankle by then, ( so the experts say) and to be back training, alone at first seems to be the trend, Klopp never rushes players, saw that with VVD, unless there is an issue you'd expect Elliott to be easily ready by Jan. But then you have Klopp who likes to add on another 6 weeks, VVD wasn't played at the end of last season, part of that was making sure he didn't go to Euros, but he was healed, he just wasn't used as Klopp called it, and said no, best to start in preseason.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on I guess. Might be too good an opportunity to pass up but I would have thought defending the league might have been a better accomplishment.

Well if he wanted the Liverpool job after Klopp he need to move a better league and standard of football.

He now has a season and half to show has he got what it takes in the premier league with a decent enough squad at Villa and an owner as rich as Abramovich to back him in the transfer market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

He's stopped Celtic winning 10 in a row which is the target he set for himself so I guess job done.

Bigger pay day with Villa and chance to test himself in the best league in the world. Also bigger pay day both in salary and if he ends up getting sacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Why does it only begin from December 2018? Pretty much all the first team players that won those trophies were already purchased. Would you say Tuchel's Champions League win with Chelsea was even more impressive because he did it with a net spend of zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I already can’t wait for any time Villa to have a poor result and the Gerrard-bashers to be straight in saying he’s not cut out for the Liverpool job.

I suspect it coincides with when Ole became manager of Man Utd.

And the fact Tuchel took a team that looked decidedly average under Lampard and turned them into European Champions, without buying, was very, very impressive, maybe you don’t think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Don't think Villa is a move that can get Gerrard to be considered for the Liverpool job post Klopp unless he really overachieved. What's success at Villa, 8th place and maybe a League Cup or FA Cup run? That's not enough to be considered for the Liverpool job because I don't see Villa doing much above that even with all the talk and investment (and how much longer will that last?) from the owner. Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, and a newly minted Newcastle will be really tough to get above, never mind the likes of West Ham as well.

This move only gets Gerrard the Liverpool job if the guy post Klopp stinks it up badly and is sacked while Gerrard has been doing a decent to good job at Villa for 3+ years (still a big if that he can do that) and Gerrard may get the call then but lots of ifs and buts. Not a good move for him in my opinion, there's no realistic big win he can achieve at Villa.

• Advertisement

Elliott looking good in his rehab looks like the New Year could be the return.

His taste in sound track music needs to be injured and hauled off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i hate this argument.

yes, the Coutinho transfer skews things, but that's still money we needed in order to get the players we did. if we didn't get that money, I don't think we spend the same money, and we don't get the same success.

we wouldn't be 10th in the list, because I'd say we wouldn't have got Alisson and VVD. we certainly wouldn't have gotten both of them. we'd likely be near the bottom, if not the bottom of the list, and with less success, so the 'financial management' wouldn't have looked even remotely impressive.

• Administrators Posts: 54,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd rather we didn't have a threadbare squad than worry about any of this net spend stuff tbh. The lack of investment to build upon a title winning squad is incredibly frustrating.

Michael Edwards gone at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Can’t blame him if he goes to Newcastle. What a project that could be, unlimited funds and with his knowledge of the transfer market, he will persuade players to go there who would otherwise not consider it. Man City Mark 2 about to launch.

Joining the Red Bull groups seems to be the logical move for him if reports last week are true.

There is the one person who could afford to buy Liverpool as a plaything Mateschitz is the 40th richest man in the work worth about £25b.

However his teams don't spend money they make money buying low and selling high and of course he rebrands everything in Red Bull colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Agreed. FSG certainly deserve plaudits with the off field running of the club which has been almost perfect, but I don't attribute much of the on field success to them. We have won big trophies because of the brilliance of Klopp and his staff. He has worked wonders with this squad and little net spend and I believe his brilliance is masking a number of issues relative to the health of the squad going forward. My frustration is that we have one of the best managers in the world with the potential to win more than one league and one CL during his tenure and we are not maximising our chances. I fear that if Klopp goes when his contract is up we will have two massive issues: replacing Klopp with a top manager and overhauling an aging squad. FSG will need to release funds sooner rather than later if they want to have any chance of remaining competitive post Klopp.

Who is Julian Ward, is she qualified, what has she done else where.

• Advertisement
Advertisement