Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We cannot even come close to the figure of houses required on a yearly basis, yet somehow you want to move all those that are building and have built their own homes on sites, (a major cost when it comes to building and in the vast majority of cases family owned), and move them all into towns and cities. Seriously can you not see a flaw in that thinking ?

Along with the fact that with many of them being farmers they would constantly be on the road in and out of these towns and cities to attend to their farms.

Got a bit of a chuckle myself seeing Xi Jinping could not be arse turning up to COP20 with his country being the major supplier of solar panels that are being touted as the saviours of mankind, while they plough ahead with more coal fired stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think that it is the correct way to achieve our climate targets, because the hidden climate cost of manufacture is too large. Better to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No they're not, because those maths do not exist. How can you possibly 'do the maths' on budgets a decade in the future that haven't even been considered yet, and how can they possibly weigh up the costs of these proposals versus the cost of adapting to climate change if we don't manage to keep it below 2c

To make an educated assessment, you need to weigh up the cost of mitigating and adapting to climate change if we start now, versus the costs if we do not mitigate climate change, and end up having to do a lot of emergency measures down the road.

They're not 'doing the maths' they're jumping to a conclusion, and where is that conclusion coming from? well, some of it is the fault of the government for not giving a clear outline of where this is going to be funded from, other parts of it are from false and misleading articles online and in certain media organisations

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's probably achievable with a government scrappage scheme in the latter third of the decade.

The national fleet needs renewal anyway as I think it's 13 years old on average iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I agree, except instead of partying we put all of our resources into adapting to whatever is to come. Smarter use of our resources now, while we have cheap energy could do a lot to prepare us. Starting with not destroying ourselves with pointless targets. Because it’s coming, whether we buy millions of brand new electric cars or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you know they sell avocados in every supermarket in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

I see now where your getting your information from, enough said if you listen to that shower of muppets if they had their way there would be no humans left in the countryside, nice images of Tir Na Nog from their city dwellings and the one trip they make outside of the city every year.

As I said it's no extra cost to the utility companies, if you need an extra pole from the ESB, you pay for it, same with ducting for cables, you need them you pay. plus the extra standing charges which are higher outside of city's

As for roads, one frosty night would do more damage to the road than 20 extra cars on a road for the year.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately people countrywide have to import nearly all of their vegetables because the island is mostly used to produce heavily polluting meat and dairy products like baby powder that's sent to China.

Or a new one our lovely Ag Minister is setting up is importing soy from the Americas to be fed to pigs which will then be flown, alive, to China. It's an absurd system.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were self sufficient?

"The cost of providing infrastructure and services to dispersed rural housing is significantly more than to close knit communities in villages, towns and cities. A considerable amount of research has been carried out to identify some of the economic costs associated with rural one-off housing in Ireland. The following section provides an overview of the economic cost of rural one-off housing in relation to (i) Road provision; (ii) Public Transport; (iii) Postal Services; (iv) Electricity; and (v) Communications"

Roads:

"For example, 10 of the 31 local authorities in Ireland are estimated to have greater than half of housing classed as rural one-offs. All of these local authorities have an annual per capita spend on road maintenance of between €144 and €336 (€194 average). In contrast to this, 6 local authorities have a rural one-off rate less than 4% with per capita annual spend on road maintenance of between €49 and €92 (€60 average)."

Public Transport:

"The provision of public transport services in rural areas with highly dispersed settlement patterns is evidently much more expensive and inefficient often running at a net loss and requiring significant or complete subsidisation by the State."

Postal Services:

"Postal services to dispersed rural households are estimated to cost four times as much when compared to urban households. Consequently, there is a high level of cross-subsidisation between urban and rural customers."

Electricity:

"Electricity provision to rural areas is high due to the average fixed cost of capital investment and the cost of subsequent maintenance of a considerable length of power line. In addition, electricity is lost due to the length of the distribution network while voltage quality can also be adversely affected."

Communications:

"Costs for the provision of communications infrastructure are much higher per user in dispersed rural areas than for urban areas, but are borne by private operators rather than the public utility companies. Companies must cover this cost through their customer income and so this is largely transferred to all users irrespective of need. Consequently, one-off settlement adds to the costs borne by the wider population."

This is basic stuff that has been shown time and again by numerous studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It is a generalised insult. They usually appear when an argument runs out of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

in a modern world, its probably impossible to be completely self sufficient, we will always probably need to trade with others for our needs, its probably also far safer for us all to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭jhansynk10

If you want to hear a good one, hear this. An post currently have a number of Cargo bikes they use for delivering small packages. They claim they've replaced their van fleet with them but low and behold all they've done is entered into an agreement with enterprise to outsource their fleet to a third party provider (I see them travelling around in them consistently). Greenwash and claim the tax subsidies, that's all most of that shite is about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Water charges were "ring-fenced" by introducing a separate entity off government books. Its not different from claiming your electricity charges are "ring-fenced". I have difficulty believing you'd be all aboard with the idea of a semi-state body being set up to manage all the carbon taxes though.

If the tax intake is less than the outgoings in the area the govt is claiming the tax is being directed towards then that is where the tax is going.

It's not ring-fenced. They just say they will follow the PfG commitment which is not legally binding. It is, however, a much better way of doing it.

Legislating the ring-fencing taxes for a specific purpose is a truly terrible idea that would just overly complicate the budget and accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Come 2030 and with the exception of reaching the IPhone 31, nothing much will have changed , will the Green party admit to being nothing more than a shower of money grabbing ##### and disband?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I heard the Greens were going to make it mandatory that you had to shoot a cow to get a booster shot.

Halve the national herd, increase covid immunity & probably turn a third of the population vegan while they are at it.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm sure Eamon Ryan is cackling maniacally while absolutely minting it.

One does have to wonder why such comparatively small costs compared to everything else imposed on us attracts such specific ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Dublin's Metrolink is proposed to cost 10 billion euros and will only service a small percentage of Ireland's total population so it seems like there should be plenty money there to service rural dwellers also.

Seriously all our major cities are already jammed with traffic day in day out, all you are advocating is some massive urban sprawl that will be as badly serviced with public transport as all our existing urban sprawl, how much do you think houses in Dublin would cost if you forced everyone working there to live within its boundaries?

I really don't understand why green advocates want people to live in grey boxes in a grey city with high crime rates instead of out in nature, I prefer trees and birds to junkies urinating on the footpath thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

No, it wouldn't be nice if we were self-sufficient. I'd rather not to have to travel abroad to have an orange.

The Greens are responsible for all the ills of this country don't you know. They are even responsible for FG's carbon tax and FG signing up to the Paris Agreement!

The last 5 year average for new car sales is less than 102,000 annually. If every new car bought between now and 2030 was electric there would not be 1 million. It`s fantasy thinking to believe that it is going to be a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Absolute nonsense, the way that's laid out.

Transport. I already explained that one.

Public transport. None there in the first place.

Postal services. Postvan passes anyway so no extra expenses

Electricity. I already explained that it was all ready there so no extra expenses.

Communications. Now that's a good one, is that used for carrier pigeons or what.

What quangos do all these studies anyway, surely they are going to find what their paymasters want anyway.

are you suggesting the country would be in a better place ecologically if we all moved into one off housing and drove everywhere instead of living in cities? I honestly think there must some low IQ problem in rural Ireland or something, it's just amazing the stuff you all come out with.

Then again you do vote for Michael Fitzmaurice and the Healy-Raes, must be something in the heavily polluted with nitrates and phosphorous water.

The 2011 -2016 government attempted to set up an off the books separate entity for Irish Water but that never got off the ground because it was shot down by Eurostat. There is nothing in Irish legislation as far as I know or in European law to prevent a government ring fencing revenue within their own Department of Finance for the purpose of expenditure in defined specific areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Realistically no , but if you apply the holier then thou approach the government have on other issues then absolutely most definitely, cruel murdering torturing human rights lacking motherfuckers

• Advertisement

I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was not a good idea. It causes difficulties and brings no appreciable benefit. The govt are doing exactly what they said they would do already.

Advertisement