Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Seems to be a common trend in conspiracy theorists given how they tried to have the forum shut down because it allows people to question conspiracy theories.

They don't want to hear differing opinions because they know their claims are false and that if people question them or point out what they claim are lies, it ruins the fantasy they're trying to enjoy.

If they wanted to get to the truth, they'd welcome questioning. If they want to pretend to have secret knowledge that the rest of us are too dumb to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Germany's least vaccinated state (Saxony, only 57% uptake) has the highest infection rate

They interviewed an anti-vaxxer

"Germany's anti-vaxxers are furious. Several thousand protested last weekend in Leipzig.

"This is discrimination, and we want to express vehemently that we do not accept this in our society," said Leif Hansen, who represents anti-vax "Bewegung Leipzig" (Leipzig Movement). He doesn't trust the companies that made the vaccine or the authorities who approved it.

"They say the vaccination is ok, that I should give it to my children? Never!" he told me. "I have a feeling that it should never go into my body, and I will fight all I can to prevent it coming into my body."

Paranoia of authority and ignorance. The same as we see in every Covid thread on this forum.

When you log out for a few minutes you see the posts of the posters you have on Ignore.

Replying to posters who have you on Ignore is ridiculous. How is that not obvious?

But, as I say, the Ignore function is better than nothing. It's just annoying seeing that the person has replied. But, anyway, I'll just ignore it. All of this was discussed on the thread about the problems with this forum. Continue replying if you want. Waste of time, but it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You said you would get back to me and explain why masks would be permanent, you said you would explain the reasons behind the need for people to wear masks from now in, care to elaborate on it now while I have you here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have a couple of people on ignore but only because they are morons.

• Advertisement

Cool I will keep replying and pointing out your continued lies misinformation and dishonest behaviour. This will be informative for others reading the form as they will see that you are doing these things and aren't able to address them.

For example you are still trying to deflect to this tangent about me (who you keep claiming you don't reply to) to avoid the question you said you'll answer.

You said you would explain why masks are really going to be permanent "later."

It is now "later" and it looks like you are ignoring the question again.

Why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why bother posting if you are not going to engage with the discussion?

Or move to a different social media platform where you can just turn off all replies and spout your nonsense without having to see any awkward questions come back at you. A forum is really not a good fit for what you are looking for if you don't want people to respond to you.

On here you don't get to decide who sees what you post or who gets to question what you post. Head to Twitter and just block everyone, then nobody will respond to you and nobody will have to see what you post either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

“Replying to posters who have you on Ignore is ridiculous. How is that not obvious?”

Not weird at all when it’s to point out lies, deceit, and misinformation. There are other easily influenced people apart from yourself that need protecting from what you say.

I don't think it's a blanket "paranoia of authority". As we've seen on this thread, conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists in particular are all for authority when it's specific experts they like. We have been told many times that something is obviously true because it's claimed by a Nobel prize winner and that we're all idiots for daring to question them.

We also see that these types have a big overlap with republicans and specifically Trump supporters. And they're big fans of authority.

I think it's more of a "paranoia of certain authorities". And those certain authorities tend to be any that are left of far right.

It's not for your benefit, you've already made up your mind that some sort of conspiracy you can't detail is happening. You already have a cemented unreasonable belief, which means no amount of reason is going to dislodge that belief.

It's for the benefit of others who may be reading this. Highlighting and addressing your illogical points and views for others, as well as you directly demonstrating how silly your views are.

• Advertisement

There are other posters to debate and discuss things with? Ignoring a couple of posters doesn't mean ignoring the rest of the posters too.

Opinions you don't agree with aren't nonsense. There's is nothing wrong with believing that measures will be permanent (not sure about 'all', but that's brianhere's opinion). It's actually completely rational. Many originally temporary measures ended up becoming permanent. It's not misinformation. But I would agree that there's a lot of misinformation out there about the vaccines.

The Patriot Act has yet to be repealed 20 years after it was introduced. USC was said to be temporary. Income tax. Lots of measures.

But you ignore everyone's points. Especially when they are points you can't even attempt to address. Again, to point out a specific example, you still haven't explained why masks will be permanent.

And opinions can be nonsense when they aren't supported by facts, don't make any sense and when their supporters have to lie and engage in dishonest tactics. You have done all of these things. Conspiracy theorists like yourself have been lying constantly throughout this thread.

It is not rational to be believe measures will be permanent when you can't explain any rational reason for why they would be.

It is not rational to tell lies to support this belief.

It is not rational to believe something you know is false.

The misinformation about vaccines is coming entirely from your pals. For example, CQD claimed that the vaccines were "gene therapy" which is a lie. You know it's a lie. You didn't call him out.

This is because conspiracy theorists rarely dare disagree with each other even when they hold completely incompatible beliefs. Acknowledging other people believe silly irrational crap draws uncomfortable comparsions to the silly irrational crap they believe.

Again, opinions aren't facts. Just because people have the "opinion" that the world is flat doesn't mean they might be right. They aren't. Those views are nonsense and have been irrefutably demonstrated as nonsense.

Brianhere has a theory that the government are secretly all Communists and have a plan to take over the country. It's patent nonsense which they haven't supported in any credible way. You have just selected parts of their irrational views that correspond to your irrational views and you've decided there's some common ground. Since you think you are right, you therefore think they are right. Again, confusing opinions with facts.

Why can't Ireland do what they've done in Queensland, that is that as soon as 80% of the eligible population has been vaccinated then the masks go: Queensland passes 80 per cent of over 16s COVID-19 vaccination threshold for easing of mask rules - ABC News

Why are people so opposed to the idea of emergency powers remaining in place? Of temporary measures ending up being permanent? It's happened many times throughout history.

And again ignoring all points to go on a tangent.

And also notice how quickly and desperately you're trying to glomb onto someone you think might be more sympathetic to your false claims.

The fact that conspiracy theorist rarely even acknowledge each others claims should tell you something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Being in favour of something is not the same as saying there is nothing stopping a gym asking for vaccine passports.

No sign of places in the UK which did very briefly ask for vaccine passports or app checkins or test results carrying on with those checks off their own volition anymore. They have given up on doing it as there is no requirement to do so and nobody really cares enough to bother checking or to be checked. Why do you think Ireland will be so different when coming back out of restrictions?

Especially when we've shown that compliance with those rules in Ireland is already not 100 percent.

Because most people don't share your irrational paranoia or disturbing lack of understanding that's why

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You said you would get back to me and explain why masks would be permanent, you said you would explain the reasons behind the need for people to wear masks from now in, care to elaborate on it now while I have you here?

• Advertisement

How many of these posters have broken connections with colleagues, friends, family due to their extreme beliefs. It's one thing to fall out with people over real issues, it's quite another to fall out with them over imaginary problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Hopefully all of them so they go into their echo chambers and don’t disturb society too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

They could always join their like minded flock in Dealey Plaza, perfect place for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

You say

sure they didn't stay (restrictions) - but they evolved into bigger and greater things.

we now have mandatory vaccines - by proxy of course - cos it wouldn't be polite to actually force them on people so we will ostracise them instead.

pretty much exclude them from Christmas (which is huge in Ireland) ,in the public sense, for no other basis than punishment because at 90% plus vaccination the population is fully vaccinated by any reasonable scientific measure.

So what's your alternative? Would you prefer if we hadn't vaccinated the majority, and instead use lockdowns on everyone to control the spread? Or do you think covid doesn't exist at all, and it's all a hoax, and it doesn't cause any harm?

But as we've seen in the past 20months, Irelands political and media class love a good scapegoat to cast eyes away from their failures.

we also have a government refusing to give up their "emergency " powers and now are trying to carry them on even further , sunset clause me hole.

vaccine passports and exclusion of objectors from society , what a result - the pinnacle of state control . Anybody who said this even a year ago would have been called insane but here we are.

Cheered on by the masses who either live in fear (thanks RTE!) of a mostly benign illness or those that will do anything ( anything at all) the state says to get their lives back. Don't want the vaccine but will take it for pints - the most pathetic reason of them all.

You're talking like there was no pandemic, so I expect it's futile to try to explain reality to you. What scapegoat are you talking about? Is it the unvaccinated? Do you think it's not true that the unvaccinated are at greater risk of needing hospitalisation and ICU care, and so are increasing the burden on the health service, and also carry a higher risk of spreading the virus? In that case, what is wrong with minimising the risk to the unvaccinated, and minimising their risk of passing covid on, by requiring vaccination certs in certain high risk situations?

As regards a "benign illness", do you realise that 700,000 people more than normal died in the US between March 2020 and June 2021. I wonder why all those extra people died? Do you call that a benign illness? One reason why so many in the US died was misinformation which caused many people to ignore restrictions as they didn't believe the virus was real (a standpoint promoted by their previous president). That gross misinformation that originates in the US is another virus that has spread here, unfortunately.

I doubt many of the ones here have.

As we've seen the conspiracy theorists don't have a lot of conviction. It's clear that many of them know what they're claiming is nonsense given how many were whinging that conspiracy theories were just theories and were indistinguishable from fiction. And on top of this we have many who know they're lying and using dishonest tactics to defend their beliefs so they are fully aware their talking nonsense.

We have also seen that some theorists are very evasive about their wackier claims and I suspect this is a learned behaviour in part from friends and family members reacting poorly to hearing these extreme beliefs and thus have learned to hide them better.

Most lack the conviction to actually do anything about their beliefs, which is why no one here attended brianheres protest or even took it seriously.

None of them actually want their fantasies to affect their lives and they know well enough to avoid and hide stuff.

I bet that most would totally get the vaccine if their job required it or they received any push back.

If they didn't get it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Try being less an ignorant ballix. You don't have to go around telling people they're saying stupid thing because their opinion is different.

We were told blatant lies from day one about covid, or if you want to be charitable, people in power said words that turned out to be completely wrong when they hadn't a bulls notion if those words were in fact true.

The worse lie was : stay at home, don't go out to a forest park or beach for a walk, while you could eat takeaway fast food and alcohol. Damaging people's short term physical health and long term mental health.

Anyway, to the people employed full time by fine Gael to browbeat other about a CONSPIRACY thread, good luck to ye, ye are toxic. People don't continually reply to ye cos they have different jobs and lives to get on with. Ye can enjoy your echo chamber and be delighted in your smugness that some others on here are stupid, but I have nothing but the strongest of contempt for some of ye lot

I never agreed to be locked into a 2km range of my house and it's was and will forever be a crime against humanity by our dear leaders. I will never forgive. The worse is for kids and particularly teenagers who so far have lost 2 years of their lives for a miniscule gain, at best, IMO. Enjoy slapping eachother on the back. I'll always be disgusted and livid about the last 2 years, glad you people are so at ease with it.

I'm busy tomorrow and the day after and so on. So good luck with flinging abuse, I won't be reading, life's too short. Hopefully some of ye will think about what yer behaviour and beliefs. Most of these restrictions are criminal, but I guess it's ok for the government to so what they want!

Lol we all work for Fine Gael now?

What a bizarre thing to claim.

I started another thread challenging silly claims like this. Why don't you post there.

I suspect that your just throwing it out as an ill thought out insult because you are upset and annoy people keep exposing the conspiracy theories. This is funny given how you are whinging about people insulting you.

The rest of your post is just rambling you haven't thought deeply on.

The covid measures are not "crimes against humanity." Claiming that they are means either you don't understand what the term means or your being dishonestly hyperbolic.

And yes people are fully within their rights to dismiss your opinion as you are downplaying and ignoring the dangers of covid. You like many other conspiracy theorists are claiming that the virus is not real. This is ridiculous.

Didn't you have an election and change of party in power in Ireland over the last two years? Did your paycheck for posting to debunk conspiracy theorists also switch to coming from the other party, or do they just funnel the payment via RTE?

I have a question....

With all the mention of gene manipulation/therapy...

What do you guys think of cancer treatments?

Bearing in mind, bar operations, chemo and radio therapy... all other forms of treatment involve some sort of gene therapy or gene dependent treatments?

To flip that lad from Bayer's quote..... "it allows for innovation"... as general public perception has changed...

curious as to why this is a bad thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

So what's your alternative? Would you prefer if we hadn't vaccinated the majority, and instead use lockdowns on everyone to control the spread? Or do you think covid doesn't exist at all, and it's all a hoax, and it doesn't cause any harm?

alternative : manage it better , more focus on healthcare for everybody instead of destroying many aspects of our society.

The majority wanted to be vaccinated -why would you think I would prevent somebody wanting a vaccination to take one? And finally an odd question - have I ever event hinted that covid didn't exist? really?

You're talking like there was no pandemic, so I expect it's futile to try to explain reality to you. What scapegoat are you talking about? Is it the unvaccinated? Do you think it's not true that the unvaccinated are at greater risk of needing hospitalisation and ICU care, and so are increasing the burden on the health service, and also carry a higher risk of spreading the virus? In that case, what is wrong with minimising the risk to the unvaccinated, and minimising their risk of passing covid on, by requiring vaccination certs in certain high risk situations?

The unvaccinated are being scapegoated - there is no doubt about it. They should have the choice over what goes into their bodies and if they want to risk it then so be it. Morre power to them. The stats from the government showing that ICU is full on non-vaxx - they don't say this anymore btw- was a HSE report issued in Oct 2021 - ranging from April 2021 to beginning of Oct 2021 . You do know that we only hit 50% full vaxxed on the 21st july - I know you know that date cos who wouldn't. So blaming the 10% for data that was gathered when the unvaxxed were a majority is crap. lies.

your concern for the unvaxxed is touching but you are trying to control what risks they take or don't. that's control beyond reason. The people who want vaccine protection are now well protected - nobody is left unvaccinated unless by choice. So I don't buy your point.

if you really had concern about overwhelming the health system you'd ban alcohol ,smokes and force the fat into fatloss camps. but you don't advocate that why? maybe cos it's an abhorrent abuse of human rights . you know doing that would reduce the risk of serious covid too. You want to champion that approach not once during this , has the irish state advocated being healthier and the array of proven helps such as vitamin d and the elephant in the room - being less fat.

as for america - the deaths and icu cases (was it 96% of them??) were of people who are already sick with 4 comorbidities (I'll concede covid19 taught me that word along with other words I'd rather forget) - that's 4 serious illnesses. those people weren't in good nick - regular illness more risk to the very unhealthy ...it may shock you but that's nature at work ..been like that forever.

Not to mention - these are all deaths with covid not death from covid - which is hugely inflating the death figures.

sure covid exists - why you think I would deny it? but I don't know why we gotta hide away in fear (and plenty of anger too weirdly - "in it together" is long forgotten) from something with such a high survival rate.

Most people in bad nick are that way cos they live unhealthy lives - They can't hold court at the bar 5 times a week then cry that I'm putting THEIR health at risk. or maybe the last 20months has proven they can which is tragic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement