Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolts in Table

• 10-11-2021 4:22pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum to ask - I've recently bought a house and the previous owner left the dining table as part of the contents. It's a lovely table and seems to be solid wood. The only problem is it has these bolt/rivet looking things around the perimeter, and while they look nice they're actually really awkward. Their position means placemats don't sit properly on the table, and I've already had numerous incidents where someone has accidentally set a cup or glass on one, resulting in spills.

I've taken a picture and was wondering would anyone here know are they "structural" or just a decorative feature?

I'm hoping I can remove them and then put a piece of wood into the holes (maybe a darker wood just so it still looks decorative) and then sand and wax/varnish the top. The varnish on the top needs attention anyway; it's always tacky to the touch, so I'd imagine it will need to be sanded back and refinished.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Here is another photo with a close up of one of the bolts. I've had a look under the table, but there's nothing obvious to suggest whether or not they're what's holding the tabletop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

They are probably structural, can you check below the table top to see if there are nuts holding these bolts in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

What's the worst that can happen if you got a vice grips and tried to undo one of them?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Nothing visible below the table, I suspect they're going into the wooden frame the top sits on to.

I tried to get one with a pliers earlier on and couldn't get any purchase on it at all. I'll set my husband on it with the vice grips when he gets home and see how he gets on.

So to update this, we managed to get one of them out; no way to get a grip on one with a pliers or vice grips, so my husband tried sliding a flat head screwdriver in to see if there was any play in them. Turns out they're not bolts at all, but these stud type things. Basically imagine a giant drawing pin and that's pretty much what it is.

So the good news is they aren't structural. The bad news is, my idea of filling the holes with a nice piece of decorative wood probably won't work. Regardless, I think I'm going to take them out because the table will be much more functional without them. I'll just have to think of something to fill the holes with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do you think you can't plug the hole with a piece of similar wood?

The holes are really small, like about 1.5mm, so I don't know if I'd be able to cut pieces that small. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could drill them larger.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I was wondering if I could do something with resin or filler or something but drilling might work better.

my first thought would be to try a bit of wood filler in one of the holes, would be the easiest approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Get a piece of round wooden dowel from a DIY shop. Drill the holes a bit larger if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If the holes are only 1.5 mm a filler will work well. You will forget about them after a few weeks. Don't forget you can mix fillers of the same brand to get the best shade. Shellac sticks are another option if a bit pricy. Lastly if you are into woodworking you could buy a tapered plug cutter in 6 mm ( the smallest made ) and cut plugs out of a piece of matching pine. The advantage is that you can cut plugs with the long grain on top - all dowels etc show end grain and are more difficult to match. A plug cutter will need some kind of drill press - you can't simply check them into a drill. Woodworking !

Advertisement