Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Father Christmas Is Back (2021) - Four feuding sisters get a crash course in family togetherness when their long-lost father shows up for Christmas at their posh ancestral manor

Arcane (2021) Season 1 - Amid the stark discord of twin cities Piltover and Zaun, two sisters fight on rival sides of a war between magic technologies and clashing convictions.

The Last Forest (2021) (Brazilian Portuguese) - Mixing dramatization and documentary, this film depicts the Indigenous Yanomami tribe's way of life -- and their struggle to preserve it

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Finished Midnight Mass tonight and really enjoyed it.

Great cast, script and cinematography.

Trigger Happy TV (2000) Season 1 - In this hidden-camera show, comedian Dom Joly devises outrageous sketches and acts them out in public places to get a rise out of random passersby.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Love Hard is very enjoyable

Only for predictable rom com lovers of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Myself and my wife have a tradition of watching easy to watch, romcom movies in November and December every year. Watched Love Hard last night and it was perfectly fine for us, easy to watch, entirely predictable but very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched that the other night and it was alright. It was the typical weirdly chemistry free Hallmark style Christmas film you'd expect it to be. I was surprised by the ending though because I really didn't think they were going to go that way for several reasons. It's probably not one I'd rewatch next year, and I'd definitely turn your brain off while watching it.

Harry Shum Jr as the brother was hilarious though, worth watching for him alone, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They're the perfect kind of movies for when the weather is crap and the evenings are long. We just stick on an easy watch and let the evening pass, we've done it for the last few years and tbh, I love it.

There's plenty of time to watch genuinely great movies throughout the year but there are times when I love getting in from work, kids to bed early and just switching my brain off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Watched Army of Thieves last night. Really enjoyed it. There are some references to zombies/the zombie apocalypse, which kind of ties it in with Army of the Dead, but it works as a standalone movie also. Very funny in places, and the main character is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Anyone know, what happened with ‘the killing of a sacred deer’?? It was on the list for early November and then just seems to have vanished.

Finished NARCOS this evening........ that's GOOD tv, enjoyed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭rekluse

Me too just finished tonight. Great show , might give El Chapo a go next. Had anyone seen it , is it as good as the Narcos series ?

Have watched all seasons of el Chapo. First season drags a bit after half way through when he goes to prison, but otherwise it’s great, and as good as Narcos Mexico.

Im 5 episodes into Season 3 of Narcos Mexico. It’s not as good as Colombia and I even think ‘El Chapo’ is better from what I remember. Problem is my brain is starting to jumble up the 2 shows!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 B!gD0g543

Mind Hunter

Fantastic series on Netflix about the FBI researching serial killers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It is brilliant

Currently watching The Confession Tapes, it's frightening, more true crime stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Wasn't Mind Hunter cut? I enjoyed it even though it was fairly slow.

Swap Shop (2021) Season 1 - When the "Swap Shop" radio show shares the scoop on sweet deals, collectors of cars, comics, creepy clown statues and more listen with ears wide open

The Curse of La Llorona (2019) - In 1970s Los Angeles, a troubled single mother discovers some folktales are true when a dark entity with sinister intentions pursues her children.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not the schmaltzy Netflix Christmas fare I was expecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭strawdog

Yes but persistent rumours it will be brought back. I think Fincher has been doing other projects with Netflix and big enough chorus of, yeah they're grand but why not do Mindhunter which was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Christmas Gremlins in the Forest?

Looks interesting 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

We definitely need at least one season to cover BTK.

• Advertisement

I was needing a Scandi Christmas fix with there being no new Home For Christmas this year. Clearly very different vibes but I like the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭nomoedoe

Finished season 3 myself last night and it was excellent ,i think the two Narcos series are the best shows Netflix have made they are both very well made with great acting really entertaining TV

No issue " seconding" that........best show EVER on Netflix.... great acting, dialogue & storyline......I always think if it had been made in English, using UK/ US cast it wouldn't have been half as good.........overall, Felix was 'The Man"....... you couldn't help but like the guy even though he was a vicious boss

Animal (2021) Season 1 - This immersive series follows the world's most magnificent creatures, capturing never-before-seen moments from the heartwarming to the outrageous.

Passing (2021) - Adapted from the celebrated 1929 novel of the same name by Nella Larsen, Passing tells the story of two Black women, Irene Redfield (Tessa Thompson) and Clare Kendry (Ruth Negga), who can “pass” as white but choose to live on opposite sides of the colour line during the height of the Harlem Renaissance in late 1920s New York. After a chance encounter reunites the former childhood friends one summer afternoon, Irene reluctantly allows Clare into her home, where she ingratiates herself to Irene’s husband (André Holland) and family, and soon her larger social circle as well.

Griff's Great Australian Rail Trip (2020) Season 1 - Comedian Griff Rhys Jones travels across Australia by train, encountering the outback, the coast and everything in between

Griff's Great Kiwi Road Trip (2020) Season 1 - Comedian Griff Rhys Jones takes an "off-highway" tour of New Zealand, from the top of the North Island to the southernmost point of the South Island

Beaver Falls Seasons 2 - Three British pals fresh out of university finagle jobs at an elite American summer camp, intent on having one last bout of carefree irresponsibility

Gentefied (2021) Seasons 2 - The Morales cousins scramble to save their grandfather's taco shop -- and pursue their own dreams -- as gentrification shakes up their LA neighborhood.

Added

Hmmm am only half way through season 3 but for me the Narcos Mexico has been a bit of a letdown, if anything it doesn’t fully portray the brutality of what went on there in 90s and 00s. I still am a big fan though.

I think ‘Dark’ should be in the running for best Netflix series ever. I was able to follow seasons 1 and 2, but will have to rewatch 3 to try to understand it. Although I do remember the series ending was done really well in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Enjoyed it. Very bingeable imo. Surprised they didn't do some more episodes on the rest of his career/life as ends too early for the likes of me that has very little knowledge of his career.

Bit sad to see that it has low scores on the likes of rotten tomatoes and imdm but to be expected from a certain section in usa.

I don't know why people still use sites like that to gauge reaction to things. (Not aiming that at you) Even the media use them to write articles like "Eternals first Mavel film not fresh" or whatever. Like maybe it is just rubbish but maybe there's the more obvious reason that we all know about for why they rank low. I even find Letterboxd has taken a bit of a dive in quality of user over the last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ltd440

I was the same with narcos Mexico, I enjoyed it but struggled to finish it.

Also I'd second Dark, for me it was one of the most unusual and original shows id seen on any platform for years. It made my brain hurt on occasion ( in a good way).

Advertisement