Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi mesh systems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Only if in bridge mode. If you can tolerate double-NATing there is no more risk in connecting directly to the VM hub alongside a mesh than without a mesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sorry yes of course, i had assume it would be bridged.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Trans Humanist

Apologies if this has been asked before - I have searched the thread and may have missed it.

I have a TP-Link Deco P9 full mesh system (3 units) and added a Deco M5.

Have a number of devices connected - 3 wired POE IP Security cameras (on a POE switch connected to a unit), 2 wireless IP security cameras (all reolink), 4 Blink XT/XT2 cameras, 4 smartphones, 3 tablets, 2 laptops and a printer.

Have SIRO Gb from Vodafone and am getting decent speeds up around the 400+Mbps wirelessly and 800+Mbps wired directly to the base Deco

All has been going fine until last week. Speeds becoming very slow (down to 130Mbps wirelessly), connection dropping etc. From the Deco app it is clear that there is a lot of interference and it is not possible to change channel manually.

I know it may configuration. In spite of this I want to get another mesh system. What is the general consensus on the best system under €400 for a 1500ft² house with the devices outlined above.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

If you want to get best MESH possible money could buy( excluding Pro solutions of course) - then Netgear ORBI RBK852/853 would be your choice. Above your budget , but you might get used stock of RBK852 from Amazon warehouse for £500 if lucky)

Otherwise I would connect your Deco P9 units with Ethernet cable to each other.( Ethernet backhaul) that would fix most of your problems I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The new ish [last 5 years] look to be pretty good too. Not just their dedicated mesh product, but amost any of their routers made in the past few years can mesh together. Might be a cheaper option.

I wouldn’t. No dedicated wireless backhaul for the starters.

RBK852/853 only reason to buy if you can’t join units with Ethernet cables for some reason. It is got 4x4 MIMO dedicated wireless backhaul, along with WIFI6.

If you could use Ethernet cables however then there are so many other options , much cheaper and probably better.

I would look at Pro solutions, used stock, you could get some industrial grade stuff for nothing really.

or something similar or better.

Actually the RT-AX92U is a triband so has wireless backhaul. This would be the unit I'd be looking at getting 2 or 3 of.

This comment has been troubling me for a few days but couldn't find the thread to reply. Double NAT is not your only issue. Double NAT will actually only be an issue if you connect your VM router to the WAN port on your second router. It's actually a bigger problem if you connect the vm router to the second routers LAN ports as you are running two routers in parallel rather than in series. There are better ways of creating a mesh or similar than introducing a second router.

Your other problems stem from having two firewalls, two DHCP servers etc. Two DHCP servers will be your biggest problem. Depending on the IP ranges of both routers, potential problems could be duplicate IP addresses where one or both of the duplicate ip devices just won't work on the network or, at best, will be sporadic. This could be a huge problem for the likes of onling gaming, content streaming [Spotify / Netflix], CCTV or the likes of Zoom/Skype/Teams audio/video calls.

Another DHCP related problem would be that if each router has different IP ranges, devices on router 1 might not be able to communicate with devices on router 2. This would manifest itself by not being able to copy files from one device to another, or streaming from your PLEX server to your TV/Other Device etc.

So, it's not just double NAT that would be the issue. It's just not recommended at all. At some point you probably will run into problems.

Yes I think OP was assuming you connect one of the LAN ports of the VM router to the WAN port of your other router. And I agree with all the other issues you raise. The question was over the security risk. Which is no greater than just using a VM router. You could turn off DHCP and routing functions and use your second router as an AP only. Or you could make sure they have different subnets. You are effectively partitioning your network but for non-tech people who don't want to do stuff like copying files from one device to the other or run a PLEX server it should be fine. I don't recommend it and if you are reading this forum you probably don't want to do it. But it's probably fine for the majority of the population. No heightened security risk ike in the case when you plug something into a VM LAN port while in bridge mode.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm not sure the switch on the back of the VM hub would even work in Bridge mode.

To be clear (as I discussed this setup above) - I have a couple of devices wired into the back of the VM hub, plus the base TP Mesh unit. I don't care that the wired devices can't talk directly to anything on the WiFi network. There's effectively 2 LANs, 2 subnets, and the VM hub is only providing DHCP to the wired devices.

I think it does and assigns you a public IP for every device you connect to it. Maybe they have changed it since but I'm pretty sure tht's the way it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yup, the VM lan ports all work in bridged mode but you are open to the internet without any protection. Unless you REALLY know what you are doing, only connect another router to any VM LAN port in bridged mode, nothing else, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I need to get another access point for my google wifi mesh.

But I was thinking it would be better to get a Nest Wifi Router, use that as the primary and use the existing primary unit as the extra access point.

Good or bad idea?

Should work AFAIK.

Why wouldn’t you get it from Amazon , 30 days free return policy ,if not ?

Ethernet link between those 2 probably best idea if performance does matter.

working very well - 2 of the google wifi points are now showing as having a great connection compared to good in the previous set-up

just had to factory reset all the points and set up new network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Hi, am looking to get wifi to the shed. There is about 10m and a few walls between the router and the shed.

I tried the wifi extenders and the powerline. Powerline gets signal but has a different name so Eir wont work.

Would Mesh give me good signal in the shed with the same Wifi for Eir TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭djdunny

Does the powerline not have an option to clone your WIFI name? I have the TP-Link AV300 and it has that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

My shed is less than 2m away from my main mesh router (Google Mesh) with an exterior wall in between. I tried a mesh hotspot in the shed, but it doesn't get a signal. The walls in a new house are just too well insulated to allow the signal through. On the other hand, I have arlo cameras with their own mesh and they have no problem...

Depends on your own perimeters...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have the Nest WiFi with 1 main point and 3 satellite ones, AMAZING coverage around the place but I've only a normal sized house so it's major overkill. I've recently replaced my ISP supplied router with a WiFi 6 1, mainly for gaming to remove the double NAT but also for a lot of the wired stuff, very handy to be able to connect to that for some stuff while the rest of the house is on the Nest.

Why did you have ISP router at the start ? Nest WiFi could replace isp router too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My ISP uses VLAN and the Nest Wifi can't handle that, they are a decent ISP and I have a GREAT deal so I'm not interest in changing, just happy to have a seperate Wifi 6 network (just for me :D)

Everything is grand and tidy at the moment, the Nest setup is brilliant for the majority of my internet usage, it's child-protection services are a great relief with small internet users in the house. I've started to dip my toes back into online gaming (CoD on PS5) and the double NAT was bugging me (I'm a geek at heart) and I have a few Wifi6 devices in the house that I was being annoyed not utilizing to their fullest, so I got a decent Wifi6 router for myself.

By the way, everything about my setup is overkill, I know that, I've 1gb SIRO, Wifi6 and Nest Wifi in a normal Irish urban house, chances are the ISP supplied FritzBox would be more than good enough to run my setup but I'm a geek.

I don’t think it is overkill , it just the way it done …

You still have double NAT behind the NEST , don’t you?

And you have 2 WIFI networks from 2 different routers creating interference and

slowing down each other.

What is your top WiFi speed on both networks?

There are different ways to do it right.

You could have dropped Fritzbox and install managed switch for VLAN tagging. No double NAT and healthy solution with 1 WiFi network working at full potential.

or You could have dropped all NEST setup altogether and replaced it with top of the art WIFI 6 mesh system ( if extra 200 mbps wireless speeds so important) , somthing like NETGEAR ORBI RBK 852/853, it does support VLAN tagging, no need for the managed switch there.I wouldn’t call it overkill too.

I've the channels set well away from each other do there's no interferance, I also have the WiFi6 network a completely different name. I am running a 2.4, 5 and 6 network due to the different kit I have (cameras are on 2.4). If I had my time all over again I would have waited for the WiFi6 mesh but it wasn't around when I was setting up the Nest, the Nest was only really needed in a few spots in the house (extention, room behind water tank, attic) but since I got it it's made things an awful lot easier, stuff like having the QR code for the guest network on the Hub in the kitchen is extremely useful (the 2 or 3 times I've used it) and the inbuilt child safety features makes it great as well. By having the WiFi6 router manage the internet connection means that I can prioritize my own traffic as well which is a nice bonus 😉, I also found the Nest very restricted for configuring it (blocking specific websites for example is almost impossible) so this setup is good for me. This is the new router I got by the way in case you are interested ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 | Gaming Networking|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Global (asus.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm considering the original Google Wifi (unless there is a Black Friday deal on newer model)

It would be for a three storey house (about 50m2 per level) with the main router on the middle floor. PC for TV streaming is connected to the current model via LAN cable, then I have Hue and Tado bridges. Idea would be to have strong enough wifi for streaming / video calls on all three floors.

Good idea or not? Anything else I should look at? I'm already using Google Home app which is what attracts me to sticking with the Google version. Completely new to this idea

Advertisement