Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

", but it is reasonable to ask why people look at an anti-racism organization and their primary focus is often to demean and undermine their cause"

Maybe because of all the fires and all the looting and all the race-baiting and all the violence associated with that particular movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,674 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Vast majority of protests and protestors were entirely peaceful.

You know this. Refusing to acknowledge this is race baiting in itself at this point given how frequently you do it across various threads.

Yep, when black lives matter is mentioned, I always do mention that there were a lot of violent acts, looting and destruction of property associated with them. Because there was. Sure, there were a lot of people who weren't violent and claim to support BLM too. I know that. There were tonnes of bandwagon protesters who only wanted to be seen.

Tell you what, next time you read me say it, assume I am only talking about the violence, the looting and the destruction of property (of which there was many) and not the virtue signalling blue haired twats, proclaiming George Floyd and Jacob Blake to be saintly victims, who jump on any cause to make themselves feel like they are "helping".

^^^

I always think its evidence of a particular nature people who see others advocating on behalf of someone, particularly when it isn't about a topic which immediately affects them and thinks that they are only doing it for clout or to be seen or whatever. Takes a particularly cynical or hurt or dark mind to always jump to this conclusion in my view.

There is such a thing as empathy in the world and while it is clear not everyone has it (seems the majority of threads on this forum are started by and contributed to, by people who likely don't) , thankfully society, as a whole generally does.

And while you feel the need to focus on the tiny percentage within a group advocating for something so as to dismiss it entirely, I will continue supporting anyone who is advocating for something that will help those who need help and challenge those who simply take the view of 'F'em, I'm alright'.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Oh look TMH insulting people who don't agree with him again. Quelle surprise.

• Advertisement

By that logic, you must think the dunne insulted people by saying they are only advocating in order to be seen to do it. Curious how your reaction to a difference in opinion and someone being able to explain why they disagree with others as an insult. I'm sure there's a word to describe this type of fragility? (Is that another insult? Who knows.)

Anyway, I'm not bothered either way. Thoughts and prayers for your feelings.

I read earlier you live in America which probably goes some of the way in explaining your inability to argue in good faith. People who you don't agree with have no empathy and are selfish...sure!

Hey, I've been able spend 7 years on the same account here without having to change my arguing style and have zero bans in that time so I think I'll carry on if that's ok with you.

(You think when I moved to America I had to adopt a particular style for debating? They forgot to tell me that.)

No, I think your exposure to American politics which you must get daily has caused you to see have an us v them mentality that is prevalent over there, where 'debates' amount to people giving underhand insults to eachother. But that is the beginning and end of my amateur psychology.

I've seen more videos of insults being thrown across the HoC and Dail Eireann in recent months than I have within the US.

People are pretty much the same in every location.

• Advertisement

I genuinely believed Rittenhouse shouldn't have been in Kenosha that night, all the reports were that he lived in Antioch, Illinois, which is true.

When he was on the stand today though it turns out his dad lived in Kenosha as did half of his family. Not so sure now that he shouldn't have been there. He was also a certified life guard and swim instructor, certified in stop the bleed, CPR, AED and basic life support which supports his argument that he was there to help people that night.

The way the media has spun this story on this poor kid is truly reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Hope he walks, seems like a decent chap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As someone who lives in the US, I'm not sure I take that well.

If you have the chance to look at a longer video of the Judge giving the tongue lashing to the prosecutor, it is clear why he is so pissed and why a mistrial is a serious possibility, and no legal analyst on the TV or web that i have seen has said he is wrong. The case is apparently going so poorly for the State (unsurprisingly) that they have to try desperate measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Good riddance to them, scum judging by their records.

Post edited by iebamm2580 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Oh now. I said there were an abundance of people only advocating for blm just so they can be seen to do it. Are you realistically denying or arguing that that isn't the case?

George nchenko was the hot topic for every Irish Instagram "influencer". The lad hasn't been mentioned since BLM ceased to be the "cause" to be seen to care about.

It's handy that you can throw these people into your numbers to prove your "mostly peaceful" protests but I think we both know, when people are giving out about BLM rioters, we don't really give a **** about Imogen or Scarlett who put up a black square on their social medias and went to a protest in Stephens green in-between bottomless prosecco brunches to highlight injustice.

I'd gladly discuss the merits of BLM with anyone willing to honestly discuss it, but when you begin your argument to defend blm with "mostly peaceful" you sound like a battered wife whose husband "isn't like that all the time".

" I will continue supporting anyone who is advocating for something that will help those who need help"

Unless it's people who need protection from looting, violence and destruction of property.

They can go **** themselves. Because racism

Post #9809 should put that strawman to bed. I'm sure he'll be back tomorrow however.

I'd gladly discuss the merits of BLM with anyone willing to honestly discuss it, but when you begin your argument to defend blm with "mostly peaceful" you sound like a battered wife whose husband "isn't like that all the time".

A- If you believe this, you should support calls for police reform because any evidence on inappropriate behaviour should be investigated, and weeded out.

B - I might buy that you would 'gladly discuss' the merits of BLM if you weren't all over several threads on the topic doing exactly the opposite.

Absolutely. Racism has no place in society and especially in any police force.

And I would gladly discuss BLM with anyone who doesn't immediately make bullshit excuses for them or accuse me of being racist for being opposed to them.

I vehemently oppose racism. I also vehemently oppose blm.

• Advertisement

One of us is advocating for continuous action to weed out racism, the other, at the very least, is pleasing the racists by pointing the finger elsewhere.

I've never made excuses for anyone involved in violence, or looting, if this was the old platform, I'd gladly link to several posts indicating such. But I refuse to ignore the premise, or need for action just because it is hijacked or utilised for other reasons by a tiny minority who see an opportunity for their own game.

And for all your repeated claims that you vehemently oppose racism, you and I are looking at each others posts long enough for me to say that you never seem to support any call for meaningful action to reduce it. At least on here anyway.

I have already stated (and subsequently been called a liar for stating) that my daughter is what some would call a person of colour. Not white enough to be considered white enough by racists and not "not white" enough to be considered "not white" by other racists.

Because of this, I've encountered racists from both sides of the traditional divide. They are both equally as disgusting as the other.

You can go and **** if you think that your bullshit support for **** organisations like BLM or by supporting Antifa or by championing taking the knee is any way proof that you are more anti racism than I am.

This is the internet, you and anyone else can say what they want here. I've never commented on your daughter, and don't intend starting now. It's your choice to bring her in to the conversations here if you wish to do so.

I will continue to comment on the arguments you make and whether or not they stand up, in my view. That's what debate is. Having a family member of any particular creed does not entitle someone to spout whatever they want and not be challenged on it much as you think it should or does.

The prosecution tried again bring in 'evidence' from 4 months after the day that the judge already ruled out, in front of the Jury, without prior notice. The judge was so pissed, the defence tried to get to case thrown out with prejudice which the judge is now considering.

The judge also excused the jury immediately after the prosecution lawyer, Binger said "After all of that now, you are telling us your side of the story, correct"? Trying to make him look bad for exercising his 5th amendment.

Phil Turner, a Chicago-based defense attorney and former federal prosecutor:

“You can never, never comment on the fact that the defendant did not say something,” Turner told The Associated Press. “He or she has a Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate themselves. You don’t go near it as a prosecutor. Never.”

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

If the case is going bad for the prosecution, what's the difference between letting it run the full course and losing, or getting a mistrial 'with prejudice' which (I think) means Rittenhouse can't be retried. Both are a loss for the prosecution, no?

I'll be honest with you. You don't seem to have any interest in debate. You consistently frame anyone opposed to BLM as racist or having racist motives and are seem to think that the "mostly peaceful" defence is reason to do so.

You're an intelligent man and know that you haven't been as malicious as many others who share your opinions. I didn't mean to accuse you of bringing my family into this. I know it was me who did it.

The singular reason why I bring up my family situation is because I am hoping that some people will be able to understand why I do get so passionate and vocal on the topic of racism and why I get irked when labelled a racist or a racist sympathiser.

But as you said, this is the internet and I know that people have, and will continue, to choose to accuse me of lying.

But your implication that you are a bastion for change or anti-racism by supporting BLM and antifa and I am a racist pleaser for opposing them is dishonest or ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's a big difference between a jury of your peers finding you not guilty, and walking out because the opposing legal team fked up.

I'm not applying any such thing or trying to suggest I am 'the'agent for change or anything like that. I also dispute that I am not interested in debate either, I am here a long time contributing to topics such as these and I get frustrated at seeing the same blase dismissals of the cause used time and time again and at this point it is redundant to start from the very beginning of 'do cops treat black people differently'. The latest example of this is the poster who has clearly been around Boards a long time but has a join date of only a couple weeks, trying to dismiss any point I make by implying that all I'm doing is insulting people. (I've received not a single warning or action for insulting people on this thread and still the poster ignores the content of my post and just goes down that route). So who isn't interested in debate?

We've been through the whole thing, 'why don't they comply', 'why should the cops risk their own lives', 'what will happen if there are no cops any more', 'why don't black people worry about the problems in their community that they could change', 'what is systemic racism', 'why should modern day white people apologise for the sins of their ancestors', 'why should people outside the US care about this', 'why should we tolerate looting and violence' and so on and so on and I've provided reasonable content with respect to all these topics and at this point am met with new, or recently new accounts dismissing any notion whatsoever that the premise behind the very idea that black communities is treated unfairly with flippant dismissals of the point by targeting me for apparently having the audacity to believe that official institutions of society, which are specifically designed for to keep people safe, and are funded by taxpayers money should always strive to weed out unacceptable behaviour.

I don't enjoy a single one of these topics at this point, but we have all watched the impact in society of excessive nationalist/conservative/traditional values which, in my view, are ultimately regressive and in many cases have been hijacked by people who largely are focused purely by their own agenda and are not overly concerned about the impact on others as long as they succeed. (And I'm talking about Donald J Trump and the likes of Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson here as some examples most people are familiar with but there are others). The impact of this has been quick, real and damaging to their respective societies and I have no wish to stand aside and leave the floor to people who would like to see similar shifts in Irish societal focus and governance such as happened in those other locations so that they can push their arguments uninterrupted and as a consequence paint a particular picture as to what sentiments in Ireland are truly like.

And again, don't try to make this look like I think the fight for Irish ideology anything fanciful is happening solely on these pages. This is an anonymous platform on which only a handful of regular people contribute. But, it still is part of a public conversation on these topics, like that or hate it. Just because it's a small and anonymous part of the internet, why should I not advocate a different position just because the larger number of people who end up on these threads after a couple of weeks would wish I just fcuked off and left them to their echo chamber which they will then use as evidence that 'everyone thinks this way'?

Given this is a somewhat 'philosophical' post, lets end with a quote from someone many consider a philosopher, Homer; 'I am a lonely insignificant spec on a has-been planet orbited by a cold indifferent sun' (Homer Simpson, not the other guy). I am under no illusion as to where I stand, but I am as entitled to my position and expression as the other specks around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

excessive nationalist/conservative/traditional values which, in my view, are ultimately regressive and in many cases have been hijacked by people who largely are focused purely by their own agenda and are not overly concerned about the impact on others as long as they succeed

Forgive me for intervening, but this is something that is equally true for the other side of the aisle as well, and we have here a clear example, i.e. the BLM leadership, that care more about themselves than the people they're suppose to help. They don't want these problems fixed, they want them to fester so to be able to gain even more and buy even larger mansions. And just like their marxists idols, they value the ideology more than human lives, and if some people are going to die because of them it's a sacrifice they are willing to make. If anything, guys like Rittenhouse may give the rioters and looters something to think about next time when they are going for reparations at Footlocker or Target and maybe they will realize how wrong it is.

BLM turned convicted criminals into heroes and martyrs, this will hurt the people they are supposed to help much more than that illusive systemic racism.

• Advertisement

this will hurt the people they are supposed to help much more than that illusive systemic racism.

Not by any objective analysis could this be said to be true.

Advertisement