Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Its a fact.

He admitted it.

He termed it differently but 'sharing' a confidential document without the permission of the parties involved is leaking. It wasn't his to 'share'.

I have the facts that Varadkar did the leaking and the subject of the criminal investigation is Varadkar leaking the document.

Who do you imagine? O'Tuathail is being investigated for receiving the document off Varadkar?

You did read the articles I posted?

You claimed people said he was going to jail so later you can claim they were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

"Getting back on topic"?

Have I stumbled into a different thread? I thought the "topic" of this thread was that of Leo Varadkar, and the story about him leaking confidential information, and that story being reported in the Village Magazine. The thread title would back up my assertion, I believe.

The "topic" is not, that of Paddy Cosgrave (whom I for one never heard of before this story about Leo Varadkar btw, nor have an interest in either)

Indeed, I would go so far as to suggest you are perhaps, trying to steer the thread off topic.

Would you be trying to "shoot the messenger" by any chance blanch152?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

The fly in your ointment of course is Leo is the focus of the investigation, he's the subject of it.

Little bit different than this "when you yourself are a part of the investigation"

I'd liken it to being described as "attending" a funeral while also being the corpse who's funeral it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A tad off beam Bee, if you don’t mind me saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

I don't mind at all Brendan, I've read various other comments of yours on this site in my time here, that one is certainly not up there with silliness (even if it is a "tad" vague).

You do or say whatever makes you happy Brendan.

• Advertisement

I've never denied he is the subject of the investigation

After all It is he who the complaint was made about

That'd be the fly in several of the posters on your side of this thread

I merely pointed out that it carries no insinuations of guilt and continue to use the most accurate description of events so far,that he is a witness in an investigation around the complaint into whether a crime has been committed

Certain quarters on your side of the thread seem to be using 'subject ' and 'criminal investigation' as pseudonym's for things you are not allowed say on here

The reality though is they are not true in the absence of charges,trial and conviction

I do get the Angst from those quarters, the hate,I see that's driving this urge for repetition of nothing new

Obviously on this side of the thread Its not shared and hatred or injustice gets no empathy from me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

i don't think that him breaking the law is so much under question, as opposed to what level of the law he has broken/how severe.

Varadkar, who has admitted he provided a copy of the document to Ó Tuathail when he was taoiseach, told gardai he did not realise his actions might constitute an offence but acknowledged the draft contract was marked “confidential”. He has rejected any suggestion that he had anything to gain personally from its disclosure.

Ó Tuathail was also interviewed by gardai and is thought to have made certain admissions. Both men denied knowingly breaking any law.

I don't think that will get him off the hook, but that isn't as serious as the law he 'rejected' breaking. - The one with personal gain. Looks like Leo in his bungling, thought he could give himself the authority to share confidential documents, but we all know that's illegal.

So he is at best, too stupid to read the cabinet handbook. Which doesn't really sound like something that anyone should look for in a 'leader'.

Would you mind linking to where you took that quote from?

you are making a statement of fact there that is not in it regarding the cabinet handbook and ergo criminality again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Are there actually people on this thread trying to minimise what varadkar did?

Have yous no standards or what?

No wonder this country is gone down the toilet along with FF/FG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This article in Broadsheet sums it up well. https://www.broadsheet.ie/2021/11/10/a-reckoning-at-the-summit/

• Advertisement

It's linked a few posts above and the cabinet handbook is here.

In the handbook it is mentioned quite a few times what documents can and cannot be shared, cannot be shared with certain people or cannot be shared with anyone or who can share them without any other authority (nobody).

1.5 (b), (1.5 (a) states that even discussions cannot be shared), 1.8 (retention), 2.21, 2.22, 2.23 and so on. The relevant stuff covered.

Yes but you do not know the status of the document vis a vis the cabinet

Ergo you cannot say a crime was committed

Whereas I can say no crime has been prosecuted

I do get how frustrating that is for the side of the argument that want that to be the case

But from my point of view ,without the facts,moral scruples are are being dropped by the proposers of that angle

Your world view may agree with its sentiments but it fails to understand or comprehend corporate responsibility by news media and justice in my world view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

World view? You mean the anti circling the wagon view.

You saying that you can say no crime has been prosecuted means absolutely nothing. That's complete waffle.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly are you defending here? Leo has admitted he has done wrong, he didn't know if he broke any laws.. It is completely absurd that anyone with any self respect would defend those actions. I won't go into what type of person imho would defend it.

We already know that O'Tuathaill received the documents on April 16th at the latest. We also know that it was marked confidential (a word that you seem to have issues with understanding it's meaning) and it was unfinished. The document O'Tuathaill received was the document that was being used for negotiations.

As has been stated in many a newspaper. If Varadkar is correct, then lots of other people must be wrong. Many in his own party. Again, it begs the question, who would want somebody like that to lead their party? Somebody without scruples, has no problem in letting others take the blame for his actions, cannot read his handbook, or refuses to obey it. Amongst other things.

I mean I can understand why an idiot defends a moron, or why criminals stick together. But I can't understand why somebody for no real valid reason would defend having somebody like that in charge of the country. I also get how frustrating it must be for those people to see how it is wrong in so many meanings of the word but yet still just want to shut their eyes tight and hold their hands over their ears, and not face the reality.

No the,you and I are posting on the Internet so we are bound to encounter contrarian viewpoints view to be honest !

I stopped reading after 'I can't understand '

I do note your frustration but I have been As plain as I can on my side of the thread what drives my opinion as have others and I won't be mean about it

Repetition is not my forte

Hate to break it to you (not really) but repitition is 100% your forte. On this page alone, let alone the whole thread.

If by noting my frustration you mean, the speed of the investigation, I wouldn't worry about it. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not in one bit frustrated about it.

What may happen is something along the lines of a lengthy expensive tribunal (of which the FFG are no stranger to), and Leo will go on bungling and sharing documents left, right and centre as nothing has happened and blaming other party members. Like yourself, he will forget how to read after a few words, and have a nap, possibly during the tribunal. The world will keep turning, it'll probably have the same outcome as the moriarty tribunal i.e. guilty, but nothing gonna be done about it. And his backers will try to defend him for years to come while the rest of the population will see another guilty party walk free and hopefully this time they will finally have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

You wouldn't be trying to throw poor OTuathail under the bus blanch, would you?

From this article.

Leo questioning covered here.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has been questioned by gardaí over the leaking of a confidential Government document, while detectives also took possession of the Fine Gael leader’s mobile phone after he handed it over in a major upscaling of the investigation.

The Sunday Independent can reveal that Mr Varadkar was questioned for several hours at a Dublin garda station on Friday April 9 by detectives from the National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI). The investigators also examined his mobile phone as part of the probe.

He met gardaí by appointment and was questioned for several hours by officers in the presence of his solicitor. His statement to gardaí over the controversy was voluntary.

The Tánaiste is under investigation over his leaking of a confidential copy of the Government’s proposed new GP contract with the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO) to his friend, Dr Maitiú Ó Tuathail, in 2019.

According to that article, Leo is under investigation, OTuathail however is not.

Dr Ó Tuathail met gardaí by arrangement at Terenure garda station on Monday April 5 and provided a voluntary statement following questioning.

He was also accompanied by a solicitor. Sources say that a “major focus” of Dr Ó Tuathail’s questioning was the exact nature of his friendship and his history with Mr Varadkar, as well as specifics about how the Tánaiste leaked the GP contract to him.

Former health minister Simon Harris provided gardaí with a statement in relation to the probe in February.

There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Dr Ó Tuathail or Mr Harris.

You're floundering now.

It means you are part of an investigation, that is all it means and in this case voluntarily

He's not "voluntarily" part of the criminal investigation, he's the subject of the investigation. The investigation is about Leo Varadkar, he is at the core of the investigation, if Leo Varadkar hadn't of shared the information, there'd have been no need for Leo to "voluntarily" be part of it marine.

Keeping in mind it's the NBCI investigating Leo, and as these guys are more accustomed to investigating the likes of the Monk, I'd say they would just love it if they could offer their services voluntarily in their own criminal investigations. Kind of hard to take you seriously tbh, like seriously, who do you think you're trying to kid?

You may be trying to dicky up, and find kind words, in an attempt at damage limitation to describe Leo giving a Garda statement (under caution).

Might be time to stop with the disingenuous, dickied up nonsense, and turn off damage limitation mode marine Layer, some of us are in the background reading it, and will only be too happy to call it out.

• Advertisement

Rest assured...

I never said he wasn't the subject of the investigation, you're clearly only selectively reading my posts

The complaint was made about him

When a complaint is made about you,you are the subject of the investigation

That was the case initially and when the Gardaí started to investigate if there was a crime committed

That has no consequences, it happens every day

What's going on here is you are trying to use it as a pseudonym for something you're not allowed to say

Theres no need to be asking me to join in

You do what you want to do

I'll start with this so.

I never said he wasn't the subject of the investigation, you're clearly only selectively reading my posts

No, you just implied he was part of the investigation on a voluntary basis - that's nonsense.

And this one....

What's going on here is you are trying to use it as a pseudonym for something you're not allowed to say

Em, no I am not, (nice try at getting the discussion shut down) I'm discussing what's out there in the public domain.

Leo is the subject of a criminal investigation ✓

Leo has been questioned by the NCBI under caution ✓

There is no assumption of guilt or otherwise in my posts throughout the thread, and for clarity, I'll repeat. It is the task of the NCBI to conduct the criminal investigation into Leo and his admission.

They'll pass their findings over to the DPP, who will then decide if a crime has potentially occurred, and If they conclude that to be the case, Leo will be charged and will be in court as a defendant.

There's nothing presumptuous, or things that cannot be discussed here (despite your protestations)

Everything I post is on record, and in the public domain.

I get that it's uncomfortable that the leader of the self styled "law and order party" is under criminal investigation by the NBCI (who are more accustomed to be investigating the likes of the Hutches and Kinahan gangs) but that tough shît marine layer, I didn't write the script here, so you may suck it up.

I'm calling Bulldust on the above

Plenty examples of semantic hurdles in this thread from your side

Call it whatever you like marine layer - the last instructions in bold writing I seen on this thread was an instruction not to be posting stuff that was speculation, or couldn't be backed up.

I can back everything up I'm posting, it's on record, and in the public domain.

Might be an uncomfortable and inconvenience for you, but I honestly couldn't care any less.

Only this mornings posts ?

Give me a break

How am I supposed to take that seriously when all you're doing from what I can see is trying to goad me and others to use your pseudonym's for what your side has shown it wants to say

I will not join in

I've taken a view on this story from the start

One of us will be right and one of us will be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Only this mornings posts ?

I LOL'd at that.

There is plenty of misplaced anger about Leo on this thread, a lot of it would never see the light of day in a court, but there ya go. It is the internet after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,655 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It will be difficult to go for a walk around here when this all blows over and Leo back as Taoiseach because there will be toys strewn all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,655 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Last I checked this thread was about the "Leo Varadkar story in the Village", so it is not just about Leo, it is about that story, the publication that printed it, the people behind the story etc, When you see the Village threatening other publications not to publish stuff about them in relation to this story, if that isn't relevant, what is? If you then see the people who gave Village the story having their credibility in question, if that isn't relevant, what is?

If we had a Leo only thread, then you might have a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

You can go back and check again blanch152, because the thread topic is not about Paddy Cosgrave and his business affairs. (No matter how much you wish it was.)

I would have a reasonable expectation to start posting business affairs of Josepha Madigan in a thread about Sinn Fein for example, so I'm not sure how you think what this Paddy Cosgrave fellows business affairs have to do with the topic of this one.

• Advertisement

-- an

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement