Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Any news on the Right to Request Remote Work, I read that the legislation was supposed to be in place in Q3 2021 although other sources said Q4. Obviously, we're well into Q4 now with Christmas on the way and I don't think there has been anything about it since August. Can kicked down the road, Varadkar waffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

With the governments latest announcements from the fallout form COP26, WFH should be promoted from an environmental point of view, never mind the covid angle, the global warming & green initiatives should put more pressure on businesses to refrain from bringing people unnecessarily into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

• Advertisement

Im in an MNC. Office is open, but attendance completely voluntary for the foreseeable future before switching to hybrid on a permanent basis at some stage next year.

My employer has sent an email about how well the return to the office is going and how wonderful it is for colleagues to see each other again. Also going on about how a lack of routine is bad for mental health and being in the office is good for us.

Such patronising bullshit. My mental health has been far better working from home and I've been just as productive.

All the offices around us are empty, it's insane.

I'm starting to see more and more videos about returning to the office being spun in as positive way as possible, trying to draw people back to the old routine.

They seem to be from companies that provide office space.

They're painting WFH as chaotic and unhealthy, which for a few may be correct, but for many of us who have purpose built home offices or spaces, no.

I hope to never return to the 9-5 office routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Iseeunow

I quit my job 2 months ago (after 5 years in the company working as a Data Scientist) cause my employer wanted me to go back to the office 2 days per week.

I was lucky enough to build 1 year emergency fund so I can take my time looking for the right new job.

I keep receiving calls from recruiters now and they all sound like a broken record, that I won't find any WFH roles as the vast majority will be hybrid or onsite. I always respond thanks but no thanks, I will never go back to an office love WFH.

Employers, let your employees decide if they want to return to the office or not, otherwise you won't have the staff to make your millions!

The vested interests (and the micro managers) are certainly trying hard to put the genie back in the bottle. But as long as enough employees continue to demand flexibility, and vote with our feet if necessary, flexibility can become the standard. A little nudge in the right direction from Leo will help

• Advertisement

I've seen quite a few DS roles advertised as WFH on the likes of Indeed.com etc so there are positions out there

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

Given that the official health advice was to WFH if possible, I am surprised the they where not leading by example weeks ago.

I wonder if someone came in with it and got a bunch of people sick and forced their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

One big thing with WFH, is that is will have a big environmental benefit. Firstly less people commuting to work, will reduce pollution. Also, a second benefit will be less traffic for those who need to be physically at their jobs, which again reduces pollution and also benefits them as well, as they can get to their job quicker as well.

Also, office spaces could perhaps be turned into housing, which we need more of.

WFH is imo a no brainer for the government to promote, due to all the benefits, and with not very man downsides. Also, most downsides can be mitigated over time with technology, and other stuff like create local working hubs for people who need that due to not having space to WFH.

Also, with covid the benefit is obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Dust off the CV and get looking. It is a good market right now for work too.

Don't stick around for that kind of garbage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My company (around 15 people) are very sound, leaving it entirely up to ourselves to decide if we'd rather WFH, or return to the office. If we do want to visit the office, they say Wednesday after lunch might be a good time, so that we get to meet each other. But the office is open every day, should we prefer that environment to work in. No pressure either way.

Varadkhar says WFH where possible ... but the official advise that allows office attendance has not changed "yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

100% agree.

I have seen so many people online giving out about people WFH when they had to go to work all through the pandemic. My OH is an operator in pharma so can’t WFH. He loved having little traffic and now already it’s taking longer to get to and from work then a few months ago. For anyone who gets public transport to work surely less people on a luas or bus during rush hour is a good thing.

For the people worried about businesses in city centre struggling without office workers. Firstly, suburban or rural businesses will benefit from the change. Secondly, could we not tackle some of the unsustainable urban sprawl happening and get people living in city centres again (as long as it’s properly built and gives enough space etc to meet people’s needs). It’s not good for the environment to have so many commuting to Dublin every day from Louth, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow etc and it’s certainly not good for the people doing those commutes. A hybrid or wfh policy would really make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It can't, they won't seek to reimpose restrictions unless absolutely forced to and the hospital situation is fairly stable so the high cases don't really matter as much. If one of the viral pill gets approved and used and boosters roll out, that will cut the remaining numbers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My job has put a workplace return back to next year now. Absolutely delighted. I was going to leave next month but am now staying on for another couple of months.

As mentioned in the last couple of pages, management/HR types are giving it the large one about how great it is to have people back or how sad it is that people can't come back (whatever the situation). These are people that absolutely live to work, who are communicating to people at the bottom of the workplace heirachy that just do the job to pay the bills.

These are type of folks that organise workplace fun because they have no friends outside of work.

My work hours are dead set. I know what time I'll be starting and finishing at but I do be shocked when I log on in the morning and do be seeing internal emails at 8-9pm at night. WTF is wrong with these people? And these are the ones that are absolutely desperate to get us back into the offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

can any of you WFH folks help me out with a connection issue?

i'm with virgin media fibre bb and hardwired to the modem, the laptop gets over 100mbps, not hardwired gets around 30mbps

but as soon as i connect to the work VPN, it drops to near nothing and makes it quite hard to work!

I've asked IT about it but they keep saying that VM is the issue and not them and checked settings and said everything looks fine

I'm using a TP link hardwired to laptop but again, makes no difference

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

It sounds like your companies network is overloaded. Any work colleagues experience the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Is anyone that is moving job getting clauses built into contracts stating that you can work for home x amount of days or are contracts more wishy washy like remote/flexible working arrangements available, which is open to interruption.

NPHET are to discuss work from home tomorrow.

Will NPHET tomorrow recommend that the government finally update their WFH advise to clear WFH advise i.e. WFH where possible for Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Duk

Add to that the wifi is rubbish on the Hub3 I'd be sticking it in modem mode and sticking a decent router behind it.

It's likely happening.

Irish Times reporting that full work from home guidance likely to be issued.

I’m obviously very much in the minority but been back in the office full time for a couple of weeks and an enjoying it to be honest. I get the time saving element people enjoy but sitting in the spare room all day isn’t for me, I find it very hard to separate work life to home life.

That said I will be going back to two days a week at home from next week and that suits me overall, but 5 days a week at home is not for me.

Happy to see you've found the balance that works for you, delighted for you

I don't think that you in the minority. I think you represent the vast majority. The thread is full of arguments about 100% office versus 100% WFH, but the proportion that want either of those is actually quite small. The reality is that most people just want flexibility. I like going in to the office occasionally too, and my preferred split is 3 home / 2 office. Also have the flexibility to skip weeks so can go and work in a cottage I have in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Paul Cullen is literally repeating what the CMO said yesterday that its an aspect that is always under consideration every time they meet.

"Likely to be issued" is your interpretation of it

Personally I'll be continuing on the hybrid model. Currently doing 3 or 4 days a week in the office as it suits my circumstances

Advertisement