Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,666 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That the sale isn't of the entire property. Most common case is siblings being bought out of an inheritance or a divorce situation

But I know that it’s the council who have purchased it so can’t be those reasons in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Unsurprising that asking rents are still rocketing when supply is at its lowest since 2006 when Daft began its reporting. Once pandemic restrictions end, I think the economic fallout from the pandemic will be significant - if cost of living (including housing costs) continue to soar, those pandemic savings are going to be depleted fairly quickly and people will start to cut their consumption. It's anyone's guess how bad things will get.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/rent-inflation-surges-to-6-8-amid-unprecedented-shortage-of-homes-1.4724045

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

At what point do we see civil disobedience and riots?

I don't think we'll see riots but we have already seen the frustration on display in protests related to housing/squatting , the Cobblestone and Merchant's Arch marches - we're more likely to see people react at the ballots by voting "anyone but FF/FG" and any argument against this approach which tries to claim that an alternative is not the solution will be met with "it can't get any worse". The DBS by-election was an indication of what is to come; FF worst ever by-election performance and FG with zero TD in what many would describe as their "home" constituency.

The housing crisis is an emergency on par with covid to get housing available ASAP - this cannot be understated - we are at such low levels of rentals despite many workers still being remote that there is a very real risk our country cannot even support much more economic growth and company expansion. It's also a ticking timebomb for the social consequences which follows from a generation of adult babies living at home well into their 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Remote work has really highlighted the lack of rental accom outside of Dublin.

If it keeps getting worse we might see rural TDs demanding dubs stay away and start campaigning to cancel the NBP rollout to disincentivize them relocating.😄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

We were one of the only countries to halt construction during our extended lockdowns, a superfluous strategy with no way to prove or disprove that it 'saved lives dammit'.

The reverberations from that supply shock will be felt for years to come. Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

All of the staunched anti build-to-rent political campaigners are all putting on their shocked faces today across social media at the figures release in that Daft report.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Advertisement

You'd really be wanting to see salaries jump a minimum of 10% across the board this year alone; it's getting to the point where the average salary in Ireland of €49k will need to become the median salary and the median salary of anywhere from €33-38k will need to become the minimum to survive. This isn't an attack on social welfare, but to assist with making a point about how expensive it is to live in Ireland already; a single parent on the single parent allowance with HAP assistance of €1250 pm in Dublin is getting €24k p.a. from the State just from those two benefit payments - this is the State measured minimum cost of surviving. By comparison, someone on €36k earns €29k after tax - €36k and you are treading water but that is approximately the median salary, it's a slow motion and seemingly unavoidable car crash what is coming. Particularly when central banks are throwing more fuel onto the fire with zero interest rates and QE.

If we need our population to grow to fill the demand for lower-paid jobs to service the economy and to fill construction sector roles to get the housing built, quite simply it's not going to be possible without wages shooting up in isolation to the general cost of living (which won't happen). We're just going to hit a wall until something somewhere gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

this is not it chief.

If you look at daft rental, only PRS institutional landlords left. Small private landlords have been driven off the market.

Its long time till next election. People will get used to living in a mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

If wages in Construction go up then we will see an increase in building costs and more housing developments shelved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wonder if a couple in the greater Dublin commuting area on 100k would be better off if 1 or both of them jacked in their job nowadays?!!

It's 2k a month rent for a 3 bed semi in Balbriggan nowadays. 24k a year rent and commuting costs x2 it'd be debatable who's better off!

The increase of Energy, new & used cars and Shelter account for circa 4.5% of the 6.2% year on year inflation surge.

Energy has a weighting of 7.32% for the basket of goods and has seen an increased 29.971% year on year. This accounts for 2.19% of the overall 6.2% inflation and is not a surprise seeing as in 2020 we saw oil prices going negative.

New and Used Cars have a combined weighting of 7.12% for the basket of goods and has seen an increase of 9.8% for new cars and 26.49% for used cars year on year. This accounts for 1.25% of the overall 6.2% inflation and upward pressure should stop once the chip shortage gets sorted.

Shelter has a weight of 32.56% of the basket of goods and has seen an increase of 3.5% year on year. This accounts for 1.13% of the 6.2%. This is the one that will be worrying the fed.

Even if the Fed raised rates it would have little effect on inflation as people would still need Food, Energy and Shelter.... And in america they need cars to get around more than in Europe. Raising rates would not stop people from spending on these items.

But we are starting to see wages creep up and this is going to continue through next year, as a catch up the transitory inflation which has and is occurring. What happens once salaries rise across the board? Does inflation hang around even longer?

Wages are not increasing as fast as inflation... in the USA the average worker is worse off financially (unless they have a pile of Debt) in real terms as wage increases are lower than inflation. Regardless of the impact on Real disposable income if wages increase it will put upward pressure on property as they will be able to borrow more to buy a house

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭hometruths

Energy has a weighting of 7.32% for the basket of goods and has seen an increased 29.971% year on year. This accounts for 2.19% of the overall 6.2% inflation and is not a surprise seeing as in 2020 we saw oil prices going negative.

Oil price today is about 60% higher than it was in January 2020 - pre pandemic

Natural Gas price today is about 150% higher than it was in January 2020 - pre pandemic

Probably means nothing, just transitory.

Interesting were the comments from the ceo of Circle Voluntary Housing Association where he claimed that the struggle to deliver affordable housing was not due to building costs but was to do with land costs.

He said the biggest challenge in delivering affordable homes is the cost of land.

“It’s not actually the building costs – they’ve moved a bit in the last few months because of inflation but the biggest cost by far is land. And we’re finding there is huge competition as well .”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Always been that way, labour or materials never jumped as high as land prices.

The state controls the planning process and is the largest owner of land so the key to resolving housing was always in the hands of the state.

So the dysfunctional system we have is a choice more than a failure of the state through various governments policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I've noticed at least 4 properties very local (in neighboring estates) to me that have sold in the last year, to what I can only assume, a non-private buying entity. All 4 were stripped immediately after sale with skip loads outside each property, structural works carried out and decorated all to the same standard, with the same Sofas and Blinds visible from the front of the property. The properties were left idle for months afterwards then with no one living in them. This is largely my assumption, but highly likely they were not privately bought. This is in Dublin Northside.

I'm actually very curious to see if it is possible to find out more information about who bought them (Council, private investors, housing bodies) (Beyond their sale price listed on Property Price registry). I can't help but feel this is a bit alarming at the rate this must be going on alongside private buyers trying to buy themselves, increasing competition in an already heated market.

Edit: In fact, highlighting one property (no. 58 below) sold originally for 295k, was renovated as mentioned above and later sold for 369k several months later with no for sale advertisement, no one still living in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You should be able to find out who owns the properties from the land registry. Costs a few euros a pop I think. The fact that one was sold on for a good profit suggests somebody could be flipping them. I think that’s generally pretty uncommon in Ireland, at least compared to the UK and US .

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Thanks, I wasn't aware this was retrievable from land registry.

Re: property flipping, this was one of my thoughts. If the same person/entity is behind them, they certainly move quick. What I found unusual was the fact it was not re-advertised when sold the second time, and it still remains vacant. I'm curious to know if it was a private "flipper" or a corporate entity that bought it originally, and then subsequently was it sold to the council/housing body in a "Ready to move in" condition at a huge profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I'm not sure why you think so, wages going up across Europe and USA. It probably depends of which time interval you choose. But for the last few years, from what I see wages went up faster than CPI.

In Dublin, govt/council taxes and charges cost as much as the land.

To be more specific, that's probably valid for Dublin Co, not Dublin City. Only few places in Dublin you would find land not the main cost factor for houses.

"The methodology adopted was to take 10 active sites, either with construction underway or just very recently completed, across the Greater Dublin Area and where we had members involved, and to establish the actual cost, including all non-construction costs of delivering a three-bed semi-detached house."

For a house costing 330,493, vat and levies awere €51,060. Land acquisition costs were €57,500.

http://www.surveyorsjournal.ie/index.php/the-true-cost-of-building-a-house/

Yes, as it says its for Greater Dublin Area, which is important to mention, it's not even Dublin County. And the results for City would be very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Revealing report despite being from 2016 so land acquisition costs may be bit dated and influenced by the preceding crash and Nama sales.

So much that could have been done in 2016 to address the supply side but gov persisted with demand side policies.

Pooled cost of finance at 10% and lenders demanding a margin of 15%

Cost of construction only 45% of delivery price

• Advertisement

The thing is, wages have to go up as they are already playing catch up to the inflation we have already experienced. They seem to be a bit slower to go up to meet the inflation of this year but these things don't go up in isolation and wages will climb. I don't think it's a chicken and egg situation whereby increasing wages will be blamed for further inflation through next year; quite simply, inflation is happening, it is debatable how long it will be around, but wages are for whatever reason slightly behind the general inflation trend but they will show their face soon in the inflation metrics.

It's insanity what is going on; low interest rates and QE. It is just not possible to have the economy booming like it is, with hyper QE and low interest rates, but not expect inflation to soar at some point. It is doing nothing but throwing more fuel on a massive bonfire. The headline growth forecast for the Irish economy is now at 14.6 per cent, while unemployment is at around 7% (full employment considered to be unemployment of around 4%). Too many life-longers in the regulators and among civil servants clinging to old world models and beliefs; and have lost control of the ship. Assets such as stocks and houses have soared in value predominantly from policies and actions of state agents, far less so from activity in the real economy.

There are only two ways out of this for those in charge; (A) accept inflation and the consequences that brings, from social, political to economic; or (B) take the lid off the pot and remove the froth from assets (ie stocks and housing) which of course would result in metrics such as GDP, house price and stock indices all dropping a little to a lot in value. At the moment we are heading towards (A), but no one should for one second have a lot of faith in our state actors as having control over the situation.

Excluding their jobs, ordinary people are generally not in the business, with their own lives, to make a lot of money from economic activity the same way investors are; so I don't think trying to profit or time these things is something to look to do. Professionals get paid to do this and can't do it. As an individual, you can't lose if you don't play and I think it is the time to be looking at consumption, sustainability, job security and savings.

Advertisement