Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

Also it’s only going to be advice so think it unlikely that any return to office plans will be paused. In my MNC we have religiously followed WFH guidance until a couple of months ago, when we introduced hybrid working, but this time we will not

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Likewise, our place until around summer time only had a handful in and gradually got busier as time went on before the WFH advice changed in September when we'd around 30% in. Most days now there's around 50% of the building in

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A lot I have noticed may not be 100% WFH though, but rather hybrid.

I am looking for a new job myself now, not unemployed but just looking and a lot of agencies contact me with the promise of remote jobs etc but when it comes to 100% WFH they backtrack a bit and admin that the client is going hybrid rather than 100% WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Govt not considering return to full-time remote working - Donnelly https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1111/1259208-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

They're not actively considering it because they haven't yet received the advice from NPHET.

If the Dept of Health have already gone full WFH to demonstrate leadership, I think we can safely assume NPHET will advise Government for a full return to WFH where possible.

I was quite enjoying the hybrid model myself, and am not looking forward to full time WFH again. I find it quite isolating.

• Advertisement

I think that there will be very few 100% WFH jobs. And they will probably only be the ones that had minimal office time pre-pandemic, with the office ased a as base for remote operations. In these instances, management might see an opportunity to get rid of the office base totally.

The outcome is far more likely to a substantial broadening of location flexibility, between office, home and other remote hubs / branches, which previously was only really enjoyed by employees of some MNCs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Very much the same 2 or 3 days is enough for me

The hybrid model is going to allow businesses to cut so many overheads. Its a win/win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I've been heading in 3 days per week the last month or so and the commute is starting to take its toll - over 2 hours dead time per day; unpaid and lost personal time. It really is where the WFH has a big benefit.

What I find in terms of productivity is that my Monday in the office is good, Tuesday is nearly totally useless as I'm already tired from the day I had on Monday and then when Wednesday comes (back home) it feels like a day off until I go back into the office on Thursday. Thursday is when I make up for Tuesday and Wednesday's lack of productivity and then Friday (back home) is again a day off essentially. Productivity lower and fatigue higher from the 3:2 model; my own preference is 1 day maximum per week in the office but unfortunately the staff weren't consulted - now I'm just waiting for restrictions to end to see where the go-forward WFH policy end up before making job-changing decisions. The whole point about flexibility should be about the individual and not the company as a single unit; what works for one does not work for others!

In the U.S. they are many months ahead of us with reopening and they are experiencing The Great Resignation - that is something we won't fully experience until mid-2022 onwards I suspect but it is coming here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm still wfh currently, thankfully. The only reason they stopped the rest of us coming back was because the government kept the 2m social distancing, so they had no choice.

I'm very sceptical of wfh once covids completely done with. Unless I can get it in my contract I won't be starting anywhere new until the dust has fully settled and currently the best I've been offered was a letter on my file saying I've flexibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

The last few weeks have been crap with a lot of wasted hours commuting as I refuse to get the train with the leveL of cases/virus so high.

It appears everyone has the same idea because traffic has been hell a few of the mornings. My workplace is quite empty still and it’s supposed to be at 50% capacity but people/departments are actively refusing to head into the office. We’re supposed to be doing 50% in office and 50% from home with a capacity in office of 50% but this isn’t the case for most although sadly my department is following each and every rule set out by the business by the book. So I’ve been in 3 days and 2 days for the last while.

This level of hybrid isn’t really working if I’m honest and my boss is really pushing me into going into the office. Traffic is gradually getting worse.

spent 4 days in office last week and doing 2 days this week so already exceeding the business advice.

My company is semi-state and I’m looking at departing them after 8 years due to a number of factors anyway.

I think there will be a day of reckoning though, when some companies will offer 100% WFH and some will only offer 100% on site, because they will realise that they can't get the best staff otherwise.

Hybrid (coming in x days a week/month) is a cod and will not last.

Coming into the office in irregular intervals on a needs be basis will still be the case, as it should, but arbitrary days in an office for the sake of it is not going to last.

Employees that can will vote with their feet.

I've worked in IT all my life, 25+ years, with various companies big and small, MNCs and indigenous startups.

Up to March 2020 I never was given the opportunity to work from home even though it became more possible in my job as time went on.

I was always office based, as were the vast vast majority of my colleagues because office based was the thing.

But I'm never going back to an office again, because I can do my job 100% from home and I believe I will always be able to find a company that can accommodate that request, and I am luck because my skills are in demand and I have experience and I can make that 100% WFH demand.

I'm in a similar position and within a few months of forced WFH I'd decided that I'm never going to set foot inside an office for the rest of my career.

This is what caught my eye in that post

and then when Wednesday comes (back home) it feels like a day off ....and then Friday (back home) is again a day off essentially

This is why hybrid is a cod.

Because ones working rhythm is messed up.

If I'm in the office the whole week fine, I get into that rhythm, or when I'm WFH all week that's fine also because I'm in that rhythm.

But when you start mixing the two then people get out of rhythm and start treating a workday at home mid week differently from the work day before and the work day after because it's different.

If they ere in office all that time that would not happen, if they were at home all the time that would not happen.

For management to manage the balance between WFH & Office time correctly, they first need to establish a legitimate reason for the office based work, why do you need bums on seats in the building?

Saying that they can supervise them is not really a valid reason unless there are trust issues and management need to recognise this to avoid staff voting with their feet. Roles that have a customer facing element are easy to justify in this respect and all will understand the reasons.

Some meetings will work better face to face without covid restrictions would also be a good reason to be in the office, having meetings with full restrictions forcing people to be in separate offices and using VC is farcical and needs to be called out.

Once the necessities have been resolved, than e WFH & office balance can be reached with the cooperation of the majority of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't think so: preparation for hybrid now means companies are buying staff two chairs, two docking stations, twice as many monitors as before, etc.

On the radio Newstalk just announced that NPHET has recommended that people WFH (it was their main headline at 5pm). Can't see anything online though.

A drop in the ocean compared to the rent they can save.

If you can reduce your office foot print by 50%, the savings in rent alone are going to pay for new furniture and monitors for staff multiple times over.

No it doesn’t. You’re just making stuff up now. I’ve been hybrid working for nearly ten years, for organisations with well established flexible working policies, and there is nothing of the sort. 90% of staff were hybrid working before Covid, even if only one day a week at home. One laptop needed, a docking station at work, and an allowance for a 2nd screen at home (which costs like €100). With other sundries (eg mouse etc) the IT allowance was $200, with a top up if needed). There’s a separate process to buy some ergonomic stuff at home, but it’s not a free for all (actually the last thing I want is an office chair in my house)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Government managing the communication streams in order not to panic everyone - this is an extremely sensitive topic. Off the top of my head, those who would be significantly impacted by a decision to WFH until February;

• Companies themselves who have started taking staff back in; they would've spent a lot of time on policies.
    • Cleaners and other support staff for the offices.
    • City centre/office park businesses like pubs, restaurants and cafes who depend on the footfall of office workers and would've been gradually seeing an uplift in trade.
    • Employees themselves who would've made arrangements to go back to the office e.g. they may have entered into new leases near the office as they understood they would be back in.

All of the above would necessitate millions in additional financial supports being (re)introduced in order to mandate that those who can WFH do so. As much as I would welcome it for my own situation, I really don't think we can go back to full WFH at this stage; the finances and logistics won't allow it. It would also send a terrible message if pubs were open but not offices.

Don’t think that advice will make any difference to most companies now. They’re not going to turn back off the lights having put everything in place. We’ve been very cautious and stuck with all advice until a couple of months ago when we kicked off our hybrid approach, but we are not going to go back to WFH at this stage unless the government mandates it (which is very unlikely to happen)

we are not going to go back to WFH at this stage unless the government mandates it 

I reckon they'll announce it within 7-10 days as the numbers get closer to 5k a day

If the advice is ignored, which I think it will be by even previously conscientious companies, then I guess you might be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think anyone recently dragged back into an office would be mad to go back in Monday. I'd be onto the boss tomorros taping the nphet sign and that would be that.

Lots of companies are still WFH though, and many have scaled back the return to the office. My building (which houses about 10 companies) is completely dead.

I think the employers that are still digging their heels in are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Husband has been WFH since March 2020. He was in the office 2 days in total in October and 1 day earlier this week. That's it now for him until February unless there is an urgent reason to go in.

He did not WFH at all pre-Pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,251 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Government advice is still officially to work from home unless required for specific business reasons. So really the Government don't have to do anything here as a work from home where possible is already coveted by the official advice

The current government advice is contradictory. It states that a phased return to the office can continue. NPHET have now provided stronger guidance, including an emphasis on employers supporting the measures. The government need to make an actual decision here and stop talking out both sides of their mouths.

• Advertisement

We are not being forced in (on a hybrid basis)….is completely voluntary. But most are availing of it. We aren’t going to be told that we can’t, and to WFH, on the back of advice / guidance. The option to go in is to remain in the table unless the government specifically prohibits it

It’s not a matter of digging in heels….it’s a matter of continuing to allow it unless the government steps in

Advertisement