Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

Rodgers is coming out of this looking like a right redneck. Lying about his vaccine status, not wearing masks when he was required too, breaking the nfl rules about endorsement deals for unvaccinated people. The list goes on. Add to this the shenanigans he got up to during the summer and you'd have to think his brand is definitely damaged. Only a superbowl win would see alot of this being swept under the rug.

I wonder...was he always like this? I remember thinking of him as this smiling, charismatic Californian, goofing around, the whole photobombing phase etc. And he seemed liberal, he said the right things about issues, including the kneeling protest (though I think some former colleagues said he was doing it for show).

Now he just seems like this much darker character, looking to get away from Green Bay, slating players, front office, coaches, journalists, peddling nonsense, lying to the public. And always always seeing himself as the victim, of the media, of the public, the woke, liberals, rival fans. And the language he uses is wholly inappropriate, swearing at those fans, referring to his own casket because he has been criticised during a pandemic, where almost 800,000 have actually died in the USA.

When did he disappear up his own arse?

I think as he's coming to the end of his career he's basically decided he can do and say as he pleases with very little consequences. He's not Californian as most would think of a typical Californian. He's from the northern end in a pretty rural area which most likely in a typically republican pocket in a largely democratic state.

I think this is the true unfettered Rodgers we're seeing where image and sponsorship doesn't mean as much to him anymore. Hence him throwing the toys out of the pram after the Love draft. He obviously sees parallels to how he displaced Farve and doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Rodgers also comes across as the type of fella that if everyone said go right he'd go left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Well this isn't a good start....Crosby poor again.

• Advertisement

Special Teams not doing anything to help Love. Should be a 1 point game without Love really getting going at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭boccers

Special teams are somehow worse than last year which is amazing but then when you hire from within last year's ST structure maybe its not. You'd wonder when it come to playoff time would they let Cobb handle punt returns. Rodgers looks like someone who is so afraid of dropping the ball that he doesn't want to try attempt even a fair catch unless its almost a guarantee. Despite the special teams struggles you'd have to imagine that with the Defence playing that well with Rodgers as QB last night and it would be a clear enough win. Love wasn't great but wasn't terrible either and I would be putting more blame on MLF for not coming up with something to keep the Chiefs blitzing defence honest and probably running a bit more.

Anyone saying they would be happy to move on from Rodgers to Love though is absolutely crazy.

I think that game told us an awful lot more about KC's struggles and our Special Team than it did about Jordan Love to be honest.

Anyone expecting a young guy to come out on his first start and immediately make a case for displacing a guaranteed HoF QB could probably do with re-watching some of AR12's footage from his first few games.

It wasn't pretty viewing, but it wasn't all doom and gloom from a Jordan Love perspective; he showed that he can use his legs a little bit, made a few plays to escape pressure and get the ball away (I think his best play of the night was the one that resulted in a 1 yard loss), and a few of the misses struck me as not being on the same page as his receivers rather than unable to make the throw.

We've been quite spoiled going from Favre to Rodgers, and I'd echo sentiments that we're not ready to move on, but I don't think Love is a bust yet.

No I'd definitely agree on that. Look at the hype around Trevor Lawrence for the last year and how he was going to be a HOF QB and he has struggled big time. I'd say if Love had been able to even have had the last week practicing with Davante it would have made a difference as they just looked a fraction out of sync with each other.

The main problem for the front office is not really Love himself but the fact that they picked him to replace Rodgers after a seeming downturn in Rodgers play over a few years, likely in 2022, and thus get two years of cheap QB play but now Rodgers looks like he could play at a high level for another 3, 4, 5 plus years so moving on from him (unless he forces it after last offseason) would probably be madness. But then what do you do with Love? Would somebody trade for him? Very hard to know what will happen or how they will handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭cosatron

the td drive was good from love and he did some nice things but he was wasn't helped by the oline, who had a bad night and the special teams were a joke, it should've being 7-6 at half time and you never know what could've of happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Do they not practice together on a day to day basis? What do they be doing? I know AR12 would be the centre of most planning, but surely Love would be familiar with the play calls and routes etc. Seems strange, he's been there 2 summers/preseasons, surely there is a lot of scrimmage work done with both QBs.

Tht game was there to be won last night, defence really closed KC down and provided a good platform for what should have been a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,466 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good call dude, now maybe time to move on …….will we have Rogers for the Seahawks game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭cosatron

Clear covid test on Saturday, plays Sunday according to lefluer

I heard someone talking about this and they said Love has only got the QB1 reps during the offseason when Adams wasn't there and this week when Adams was in covid protocol so they only really had friday. Love would usually run the scout team in practice and would have a minimal amount of reps as QB1 in case he has to come in for Rodgers mid game. Last year he was QB3 behind Tim Boyle so he wouldn't have even been getting this. Although he would practice with these guys every day he really hasn't had a lot of time being their QB.

Rogers says he expects to be back for Sunday.

By the way Backtiari needs to to be activated tomorrow Wed.

Otherwise out for the season.

I know Kansas blitzed the hell out of him but it was real deer in the headlights stuff from Love and LaFleur didn't help. With that much pressure coming it would have been simple enough to set up some short cut routes up the middle so he had very little to do bar look straight ahead and make 20yard throws. Throw in the odd long ball over the top when he was bought a bit of time by the O Line to spook KC and keep them honest but instead he had 3 or 4 routes being ran at once going every which way. He doesn't look like he's up to it but wasn't helped by the play calling.

C’mon give the guy a chance…… first start in the NFL.

You do make good points about the blitzing and the fact that MLF didn’t really tailor the game plan for a debutant QB.

MLF admitted that….How the fuuuuherke he didn’t realise he needed to adjust for #10 is amazing.

I certainly wouldn’t dump on the lad after this game.

The run game was working and could have stuck to it a bit more I think. It gave Love some relief and we were eating up the yards. I wouldn't be overly critical of Love, the jury is clearly still out on him and probably will be for at least a season after Rodgers leaves if that is soon. Very few QB's hit the ground running from their first game.

Not dumping on him but he didn't look like a guy capable of putting a play together at all. Contrast him to Fields or the young guy for the giants, neither of which have amazing O lines and he's way behind them. Even Darnold at the Jets was more impressive his first few games.

Both of those players had time to actually run plays with their top receiver....and more than a few days notice before starting!

I'm not saying he's the next Rodgers or Favre, but remember that Rodgers wasn't a starter until his 4th season, and his debut stats were 18/22, 178yds with one passing and one rushing TD; hardly setting the world alight numbers there either.

Some numbers on first round QB debuts:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acmepackingcompany.com/platform/amp/2021/11/9/22773084/how-jordan-loves-stats-compare-to-other-first-round-picks-first-starts

Seven current starting quarterbacks (when healthy) actually had worse first starts, statistically, than Love: Lamar Jackson, Jared Goff, Josh Allen, Jameis Winston, Joe Burrow, Ryan Tannehill and Justin Fields. Two other quarterbacks who had worse starts than Love would likely still be starters today, if not for very different non-football reasons: Andrew Luck and Deshaun Watson

So given that most of those were planned starts rather than a rookie dumped in the deep end (and one of them is Justin Fields who you specifically gave as an example of someone way ahead of him), my position remains the same; we really didn't learn very much about Jordan Love from this game.

• Advertisement

That's one big problem with American football. Stats count for everything. They can tell you everything you need to know by looking at the stats. Unfortunately its far from true. People do things in games that majorly affect the outcome that never get recorded. Receivers run good routes or crossing routes that occupy two defenders whilst your main receiver gets the ball on a simpler route. QB's make good scrambles or throws that don't complete and its put in the negative column. With Fields, his numbers were poor but you could see what he wanted to do or was trying to do. Love didn't give me that impression. I may be wrong and he could go on to do amazingly well but first impressions were not good.

I don't disagree really, but Fields went out to the game with a bunch of receivers he had practiced with and plays worked around him.....he should look like he knows what he's doing! Love got lobbed in with little notice, with one day of practice with the receiver who has been getting the vast majority of the ball. I don't think first impressions were quite as doomsdayesque as some are calling it given that context.

My biggest takeaway from the game, as I've ruminated on it for a few days.....is the D performance down to not having the safety valve of AR12 to bail them out?

Well the D line was a huge factor alright. The O Line was terrible too. How they let one of the worst performing D-Lines in the league blast through them repeatedly raises a lot of questions about their credentials going forward. Is Rodgers that good that he can carry the entire team on his back.

I know the O-Line training looks more like a critical care ward than professional sports training, but even with all the 2nd and 3rd stringers, before that game we've regularly been vaunted as one of the best O-Lines in the league.

The KC blitz was intense though; the question is was it an off day, or has the Rodgers factor let to teams not blitzing as hard as they could/would, making it look better than the reality?

Christ, despite my initial post match comment saying we can't read anything from the game, I'm reading into an awful lot.

I think if Rodgers was there vs KC and everything else is the same that they would have blitzed maybe 10% as much if at all. Teams know that if you blitz the likes of Rodgers, Brady etc you are going to get carved open more often than not. If Love had connected on something during the first blitz that may have put the brakes on that tactic but it kept working so why wouldn't they keep doing it. Anyway on to the Seahawks and a second game in a row on Sky Sports for the Packers!

Bottom line for the Seahawks game is keep in Wilson’s face.

Cannot let him waltz around and get time to set and throw.

Cannot have any of these ‘whiffs’ on ball carriers which yield three oR four extra yards.

Cannot have those big plays on 3rd downs to Tight ends down the middle.

Im assuming Rogers under centre and a Packers win.

Im also assuming the special teams cannot be as bad.

I think we could line up with me as punt returner and you blocking for me and we wouldn't be any worse on special teams, Brendy.

Could get you kicking to take a bit of pressure off Crosby while we were at it.

I remember last year teams were kicking their kickoffs short so that the Packers would have to return it because they knew it was very unlikely they would get close to the 25. That really says it all. I think Cobb needs to return a few punts or kickoffs. Otherwise they are nearly better off not having anyone back there on punts.

Also how is the line so bad on field goals? So many this year seems to be either blocked or close to being blocked and it is almost always from the right side.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rodgers rusty, injuries to Jones and Gary, another missed FG. Not much to cheer about really.

😜

• Advertisement

Horrendous game from all the Offense except AJ.....first Seahawks shutout for Russ.....is our D actually good?! Very confused for such a bad game.

Advertisement