Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 helpisneeded45

My experience was similar but I there were lots of questions. I found myself answering and trying to elaborate when the board would interrupt and have the next question. They obviously were conscious of time. Overall the questions were as you would expect. Tell me about a time when… I’m a little concerned as the latter questions were more “how would you…” so I spoke to an approach rather than the traditional STAR method.

the one area they honed in on for me was decision making. My example was ok (or at least I thought it was) but there was a series of follow on questions like what exactly made that decision tough - it felt like they were trying to give me every chance to say something but I’ve no idea what exactly they were looking for.

For those still to go, I’d focus on the challenges your presentation may face. I’d also prep well for the competencies listed. There were a few questions outside the competencies. I’m an external candidate and they quizzed my motivation for the change and what challenges I thought I’d face. All fair questions.

Although I’m not sure I gave a great account of myself the process was as I expected and very fair. Best of luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Boardsieboards

Hi Folks - do we know from previous years how long you would normally be waiting after the interview to hear back? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's usually pretty quick. Within a week of the final interview in the group of interviews.

Interviews run through next week, not sure beyond that. Anyone any advances on the 12th?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 frenchman

Anyone have an interview for the Irish stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭FenFlynn

For those in batch 1, just wondering when the last interview would be, trying to see if we'd be called before December or not.

Best of luck to those doing interviews this week and next week.

• Advertisement

The latest I've heard (elsewhere) is today.

If anyone wants to ping me that they've a later interview date, please do and I'll share it here so you're not identifiable.

Right now I'm assuming there are interviews tomorrow and that's the final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crinkley

yeah would be good to know if I should be prepping for a pre xmas interview. I'm going to guess with leave etc it will be early January, nothing like writing out interview questions over christmas lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Are they still only on those first 3 counties that were called ? Dublin, kildare, wexford ?

Or have they moved onto other counties yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 echi21

I will say I read earlier in this thread (page 18/19) that someone said their interview was mid to late November which I took to mean as next week..?

Good point.

Hopefully they regard the 12th as mid November but I've a feeling you're right about next week.

• Advertisement

PAS apparently responded to say that next batch of interview is not anticipated until late January/early February, not sure how accurate that statement is as PAS is known to tell you a date and send an invitation the following week. If that's correct, it means there was a huge batch that got 186 and beyond which shows how competent people are in this competition. Hopefully as many of those get through the final stage as possible and share here with us how you guys approached the two components.

I haven't seen or heard anything.

I just spotted this in the original booklet:

Candidates should note that there are currently panels in place for all counties (excluding Dublin) from the 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Standard Open competition and these panels are due to expire in March 2022, if not exhausted in the interim. New panels from this 2021 Assistant Principal Officer Standard Open competition will be formed on a demand led basis and where 2020 panels are exhausted.

So probably Vid Int in early January, normal Int in Feb to form panel in March.

I know people who are still on lists for other counties from the 2020 competitions, so will all depend on what county and how their list is progressing on whether people will be called for interview or not. I don't believe theres been any further calls for video interviews from this comp

Post edited by crinkley on

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sheepgobahhh

Yup, interviews for the current batch are at least running through to the end of next week because that's when mine is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Any video interviews for Cork yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AP panel member 2021

Hi all,

I am wondering if someone would know what the likelihood is of getting a job from a recent AP campaign. I was an external candidate and placed 8 in Open Stream for the Cork region. I had my interview on the 14.10.21 after starting the process in April 2020 so I am unsure as to what panel I am on.

If anyone could shine a light for me I would really appreciate it! I have read through this thread and I’m confused about what panel/competition I was part of.

Thanks!

Thanks for that, is that even the case if I did my interview so recently? I only got notified that I am on the panel last week!

yeah if you applied in 2020 then its the 2020 comp you are part of, regardless of when the interview occurred. Means you would have to be placed before anyone from this competition for Cork, unless the comp expires before you get placed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

When did you submit your application form? If it was last year, you need the other thread; if it was earlier this year, then this thread.

• Advertisement

Ok, that makes sense! And is it possible my panel could expire before the new panel expires?

it usually says how long a comp will be live for in the information booklet< i'm sure that question has possibly already been answered on the 2020 comp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭2021_AP

Yeah it's possible, the 2020 panel is in place until March 2022 I believe so if not placed by then, your panel will expire and future jobs will be assigned from the 2021 panel

That seems ridiculous considering I just interviewed 🤯🤯🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 17 The Third Policeman

Does anyone know how far they have got on the order of merit for Cork?

Why ridiculous? You passed the previous stages, the new panel (I understand) isn't up and running yet, why wouldn't you be interviewed and placed on a panel. The longer a panel is in place, the more people left on it get other positions, are no longer interested, etc., which is why they don't have indefinite panels. Exactly the same in the private sector.

Sorry, I might have misunderstood the whole process as it’s the first time I applied for a job in the public service! But my impression was that I was interviewing in order to be placed on a panel that would be in existence for 12-18 months, offering a greater opportunity for positions to become available. Seems like a lot of effort to take part in 4 stages of a difficult recruitment process, spanning 18months all to be placed on a panel for 4 months?

Ah, gotcha. Yes, it's a lot of effort for four months tenure on a panel, definitely. And unfortunately the regional panels move a lot slower than the Dublin one. I don't really see another option for them, though, unless they were to do something like add people from the 2021 comp to the end of the 2020 competition regional panels. That possibly creates other issues, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

Hi I am in a similar position although i interviewed in August.

It's the 2020 competition and the panels expire on March 31st 2022.

Hopefully, there'll be movement in the New Year but so hard to know.

I'm on two regional panels and placed high but so hard to know.

Best of luck to you!

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, I emailed PAS this morning enquiring about possible dates for final interview for next batch, I was told that it's not anticipated to be held until later January/early February. A while to wait yet.

Advertisement