Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

I've deleted a few comments regarding the tragic accident mentioned above.

Please, no 'I heard this or I heard that ' type comments until what actually happened is a little clearer.

Given the topic, please be respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Rest in peace young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,368 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

God love that poor boy and his family. I have been thinking about them all day. Condolences to his friends, schoolmates and teammates also Rest in Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

The Hurler's Prayer

When the final whistle for me has blown

And I stand at last before God's judgement throne

May the great referee when he calls my name

Say, you hurled like a man; you played the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Absolutely heartbreaking. Rest in Peace young man. Such desperately sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Unspeakable tragedy..may he rest in peace..my thoughts are with all those affected..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tragedy for the family and all involved God love them.

Can't get my head around it, have 4 here hurling every day in school and at home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Utterly heartbreaking, RIP to the young man and condolences to his family, friends and classmates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus the poor lad and his family. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

May he rest in peace

May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That was the saddest thing I have heard in ages, an awful tragedy for the young sportsman and his school friends, this truly is one of those times when words are hollow and inadequate, except to say RIP Harry and sincere condolences to his family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Desperately sad news, may he rest in peace , condolences to his family and friends.

Any truth in the story that Freshford have covid in there team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Longlad69

Think there are two confirmed cases and 7 waiting on results.

County Board making a decision this evening weather to postpone game or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Any truth that Freshford have Brian Kennedy back in the panel for the final ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Suppose to be back bit callan brought back mcgrath the last few weeks and he didn't touch the ball last weekend.Its hard turn it on after missing so much hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Longlad69

I heard off a few Freshford lads I met bag packing last week that they were raising money to bring back Eoin Guinan and Seamus Hayes but never mentioned Brian Kennedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amber_black

Heres hoping for a Amber Black day in nowlan Park this Sunday 😉

The two neighbouring parishes should win sunday .

Glenmore should have enough for Freshford. Glenmore are a hardworking well drilled team with 3/4 super hurlers. Glenmore would be well able to compete at senior level, while i feel Freshford would struggle.

Mooncoin should have to much hurling and pace for Tullogher. Mooncoin have been hitting big scores all year with a formidable full forward line. They have a management team with Coogan from Ballyhale and Meagher from Freshford. No expenses spared from Mooncoin this year and will expect bang from ones buck

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Best of luck to Joey Holden in his retirement! A player who always gave it his all and never let the County Down! Arguably the best club hurler in Kilkenny over the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Thanks Joey a great servant and the best full bank in the county the last few years. Poorly treated since 2016 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Funnily this was mentioned on Our game show on Monday with Richie Power before the retirement announcement, he said the greatest full backs to ever play the game would have struggled that day the way Kilkenny were set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Fully agree with those sentiments on Joey and wish him all the best in the future. I always rated him a very consistent hurler and he could do a top job for KK anywhere in the backline.

Heard from reliable source that Liam Blanchfield is walking away on his own accord from county panel himself. The final kick in the teeth for him was being left in the stands while players who started the semi final game had been subbed and then brought back on. Remember watching in Minor with Kilkenny and thought he had great potential. Perhaps he was brought in to senior panel at an age that was too young for his own good but unfortunately between injuries and probably his confidence taking a hit the last few seasons......it just hasnt panned out with county as would have expected. Still anytime I see plays with club he is generally always a handful and it is fair to say he still does have age on his side........

There is also a training panel being brought together at the moment to kick off some trial/training matches over the next week or two. There is 3 or 4 Lisdowney lads after bring brought in to this group along with John Walsh again and one or two of the Mooncoin hurlers. Not overly surprised as they did the same thing there around 3 or 4 years ago when they brought in about 4 of the Ballyragget hurlers at the time. Just hope lads are given the proper chances and lads step up to give Cody some new options for the upcoming season

Strange time to call in John Walsh. He has been outstanding for the club the last 3 years. He should be well up on S&C by now but pure neglect by current management have left him behind in that department. He is the same age as Sean Finn, Cian Lynch etc. as they played in the Minor Final the same year. Look at the years of experience and S&C these Limerick players have gained.There is 3/4 lads from Lisdowney and 3 from Mooncoin going in. Again why have the Lisdowney players with the exception of Tallis had to wait this long to be called in. They have shown potential the last 2/3 years.

The Management planning of players and player development is terrible, communication is worse, nobody seems to know what is going on. All we get every October is "Brian Cody is staying on for another year". Shane Walsh from Tullaroan is another example of this, another player caught up in the mess, obviously good enough to be in there but management reluctant to bring back players previously dropped as management need to look at there own egos and stop preaching to anyone who listens about team work and ego when they are clearly not practicing it.

Surely time Brian Cody(player) and Ronan Corcoran are giving a chance.

• Advertisement

Joey.....some servant, loyal to the very end.

Have a quiet fancy for Freshford in Sunday's game. They have been improving slowly all year and coming in nicely under the radar. Glenmore meanwhile have been very hot( 1st day Vs Danesfort and semi Vs Ttown) and have been average enough apart from that. The tag of hot favorites will not suit them imo but it will take Freshford to put in a big shift to get over the line

Advertisement