Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I forgot that Greg Feek was New Zealands scrum coach. He was a with Leinster and then Ireland for 10 years. He'll have a lot of insight into what we're trying to do at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

It's a pity Coombes has an illness for these test matches. Would love to see him on the bench instead of POM. Try scoring machine from 5m out. That's the kind of thing you need coming off the bench. Pete's been a great player but I'm not sure he brings impact off the bench. Tadhg Beirne is unlucky to miss out, but his introduction to the pitch with 20 mins to go should be a boost. If we can get the lineout right we should be able to put in a big performance and give the ABs a fright. Really excited to see this backrow go well, very mobile athletic unit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sure playing Henderson exactly denotes a tight game. Given everything I would be shocked if the plan was to do anything except basically try and recreate the Japanese performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wouldn't be banking on giving Stockdale his P45 yet. He's 25. He's only played 35 games and he's already the 6th highest try scorer in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's harsh if it's a judgement on Beirne, but i suspect it's a mater of bulking up the starting team and Beirne being a better impact player of the bench.

I'd say it's a horses-for-courses selection rather than an assessment of the players in total .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think (I hope anyway) he specifically means playing him at 15.

If fit I suspect he'd probably have been ahead of Lowe last week, but Lowe played very well last week, and a big performance on Saturday and you'd have to say the 11 Jersey is his to lose moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,235 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I'd be inclined to agree. Beirne was involved in some lovely mid-field handling vs Japan. If that's he game they're planning on playing then it would be more suited to TB. But IH is probably better in the tight game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

We have a 15 names that is full of confidence and direction about how it should play, a starting 15 that can win the game but On paper we dont have a bench that can win this game.

one injury in the wrong position early in the game and it could be curtains.

Think i will have a big bet on will Jordan scoring the first try, or if the price is right anytime try scorer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

But bringing in Hendy and moving Beirne to 6 would bulk the team up even more.

In terms of impact, Beirne at 6 would mean we could have two backrowers on the bench.

Again, I'm not criticising Farrell or saying he's wrong, because he got it spot on last week. But I'm struggling to get my head round dropping one of our best players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wonder if there's a boards NZ equivalent where there's a select few bemoaning Whitelock and Retallick's continued selection....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wish Coombes were healthy. Him and Sheehan coming off of the bench would be massive in terms of impact. I'd have prob gone for Dillane as the replacement lock and had Beirne as backrow sub for this. Bench is rather lacking in terms of impact, but hopefully by 6Ns time, that'll be resolved.

I'd have went for Beirne at 6 too, I think he was out best forward last season but it must've been a tight call. "struggling to get my head around" seems to be overstating it a bit, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I always felt Henderson was likely to come back in, certainly if there was one player to come in it was probably going to be him. On the basis that Ryan was never going to be dropped, and Ryan was excellent last week, it was then a choice between Beirne and Doris at 6. I guess it shows how highly regarded Doris is.

The thing is we have great options there now that a really top player is going to miss out if everyone is fit.

Imagine what it will be like if and when Baird and Coombes get up to speed at test level and Leavy continues his rehabilitation, never mind the even younger guys below that such as Thomas Ahern who is clearly very highly rated too. There will be serious competition, perhaps unprecedented competition from an Irish POV!

All these guys are young as well. Henderson is probably the oldest at 29 so the depth is there for a few years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't even think it's right to say Beirne has been dropped. He hasn't done anything wrong and is playing well. It's just bringing in Hendo because he's also a top class player who had probably his best season ever for Ireland last.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

No surprise, personal decision I would have moved Beirne to 6 and Doris onto the bench. Also I would have taken POM out of bench and Baird onto it for impact, of course can't see training etc

Best of luck to the team

It does show how competitive the back row and second row is when you have a starting Lion been moved to the bench.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

It is not as if Hendo isn't a very good player as well and play the same kind of game. Doris is an excellent 6 and was injured last year, he is just as physical as Beirne anyway would no issue with either Beirne/Hendo/Doris starting but one unfortunately has to miss out.

That one injury being Sexton, the rest can do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Beirne's the oldest. But yeah, he and Hendo are 29, and the rest are just pups in second row terms. Bodes very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointed for Beirne! Outrageous talent! My guess is he is being used for versatility! Beirne is generational talent!

I think it will be a close encounter. I think we can surprise them and win. If our pack gets on top....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

One thing to note is Luke Pearce is ref, I think he's a good ref but unlike some others from what I've seen he really keeps the pace of the game up, doesn't like prolonged stoppages, will keep things moving briskly. This is the way it should be but possibly suits NZ more than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sexton yea, but midfield especially Aki is crucial, earls might do a job at 13 but i dont think either he or ringrose can cover 12 effectively.

Murray is not playing well enough if he was called on early.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

Looking at that both selections Ireland will do well to keep it close

irelands at lock , the bench and 10 look ripe for the picking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yea I felt Beirnes "all court" game would be a key ingredient if Ireland want to keep this loose. Genuinely thought he was now cemented as a first choice for Farrell considering how well he has played under his watch and he offers the greater skillset and mobility in 2nd row.

Considering that selection decision and the bench of Herring and PO'M, I'm thinking Ireland will be kicking allot more to touch this week. 50:22's and all!

Hopefully we dont see the return of the dreaded box-kick "attack". Although I'm all in favour of a Garryowen or two.

I suspect you'd see 10. Carbery 12. Sexton in that scenario. (I have a vague memory of that happening with Billy Burns vs Wales, possibly). But Aki is pretty durable to be fair, so hopefully won't come to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bar Aaron Smith, that is arguably NZ's top XV on current form. Bench is missing Scott Barrett (paternity leave). Sam Cane is on the road back from injury. I quite rate Luke Jacobson and also Taukei'aho the new hooker, but Ioane and Coles probably deserve their spots. What I am saying is there is no "we were missing players" excuses if we lose.

Irish starting XV looks good, however the bench has experience but also players arguably at the twilight of their careers. Only Beirne strikes me as genuine impact.

Not sure what I think about 3 Kiwis in the Irish starting XV, can't hide it would leave a certain taste if one of the 3 score the winning try. Much like if the boot was on the other foot and the NZ XV had Luke McGrath, Robbie Henshaw and Jordan Larmour in the team. Wish the players the best of luck though.

Ref is good too, should be no complaints there.

Should be a cracking match, and remember there are more important things in life than rugby!

Ringrose played 12 against All Blacks before, he would be fine there. Not convinced by Earls at 13 though.

They have swapped one player from the starting 15 that started against Japan, Beirne is good but I don't see how that one change suddenly means they will throw out an entire game plan and swap back to a plan they have been trying to move away from for 2 years

If they swapped JGP for Murray then yes it would suggest a change, but not a second row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Stockdale is injured. Not sure why you would drop him given what he's capable of producing in attack is hard to replicate. Conway has gone longer periods out of form and lowe has been as bad (some would argue worse) defensiveltly. We aren't exactly blessed with back three talent at the moment.

Advertisement