Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My Dad is 76, will be gettimg his early December

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Boosters for over 70s well under way in my GP's surgery in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭brickster69

Good to see the 3 months of planning for the booster rollout in the UK being executed well. First target of 500K / day met yesterday and aiming for 750K / day in the next fortnight. Still on target for everyone over 50 done and dusted by the end of November.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Minster Donnelly quoted on Newstalk yesterday saying the standard gap from second dose to booster will now be 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It kinda always was, NIAC said around 6 months, minimum of 5.

Issue is, the vast majority of 60-70 due to the longer gap with AZ will not be boosted until late Dec/Jan, which is too late. If I'm not mistaken, AZ looked to have wained faster than Pfizer/noticable drop in efficacy etc...

If they extend the booster program to 50+, you could have 50 year olds getting boosted before a sizeable chunk of the 60-70 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The NIAC decision doesn't make much sense there for AZ (they had a 16 week recommendation on AZ itself back in the day) also still dragging their heels on 5-11 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I literally a few minutes ago got a text for a booster. I got my second shot of AZ in July.

now i don’t fall into any of the categories that would qualify for a booster, so someone is chancing their arm to get me in for one. So it’s a little over 4 months for me. So id assume they are doing the over 60s now. I waited 18 weeks to get the second jab.

also I won’t be getting the booster so turned it down. Really wish they had a stop contacting me option instead of texting new. So assume I’ll get pestered on this going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nccccc

Does anyone know what the story is with immunocomprimised on the hse list of medications people getting their third dose? (it's technically not called a booster as this group is only getting standard protection with the third dose given at least two months after the last)

I can't for the life of me understand how there are people in this thread and beyond who say they have no underlying conditions and are young but have been given booster shots, while there are immunocomprimised people without even full protection left in the dark. I've called my doctors and they tell me they're not doing it and I have to self register with HSE. I call HSE and they tell me I can't self register. Then the doctors say they won't refer me, go back to HSE. Repeat. Absolute joke.

• Advertisement

this was the start of the text I got:

As a person with a weak immune system, you are at higher risk of serious illness if you get COVID-19. Your doctor has referred you for an extra dose of COVID-19 vaccine for your protection.

If you go to the HSE website, I don’t qualify under any category they have listed. So it’s probably a sh!tshow again like the initial rollout to groups 4/7. By a right stretch maybe I fall into here if I had a consultant immunologist that is:

”Other immunedeficiency, meaning anyone considered immunocompromised by a consultant immunologist even if they do not fit into one of the categories specified on this page“

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The vaccines give the elderly and vulnerable a chance , but we all need it to give them that chance

I got double jabbed and the virus and it was mild but I’m recovering from major surgery so it could have been fatal

That's a good sign if they are reducing the gap for a booster dose for people vaccinated with AZ.

If you had your second jab in July after 18 weeks. That puts your first jab around March? AZ wasn't rolled out to the 60-70 group until late April. Unless you're cohort 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's likely to be a system flag, as in for the IT system. IIRC people got three offers earlier in the year before they stopped. As for people without underlying issues some got done by GPs to finish off vials and there was quite a bit of that going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Has anyone been offered the third dose (for immunocompromised) and not been able to attend and received a new appointment? Daughter wasn’t able to go to hers and called the number on the text ( there was no option to text “new”), and was just told not to show up and a new appointment would be sent. It’s now more than two weeks later and no new appointment has been sent. She has tried calling the number on the text again and it just rings and rings...

I’m cohort 7, but since I’m not in a major population area anymore, I think they lumped all 4/7 together. I got my second dose at the tail end of the 60-70 group second dose. I was clearly an outlier there! They switched that group to 8 weeks, so anyone in April was getting it in July at latest. So think they were done mid July.

I only ask as it sounds like you may have been offered a third jab and not a booster.

I was cohort 7 and got my third jab a few weeks ago. Third jab is minimum 2 months from your second dose. Booster is 5 months from your last dose.

Fair enough it probably is a third jab looking at the HSE site (essentially it is a booster!) if you’re massively immunocompromised then have at it. I literally see no reason to take it. Again I don’t even fall into any of the categories listed for it and there are no studies even to justify it (aside from if you got Pfizer, a longer period between doses seems to be better and I think this is who is mainly being targeted).

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nccccc

Thanks for the insight. Seems to be an utter mess. It is terrifying not to be able to get a clear answer on what to do from anyone when we are hitting 5k cases a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's a great pity there is no option for not needed done elsewhere on the appointment texts. I work in a hospital, everyone has a text for the booster over the last 2 weeks, but the hospital supply came in today. Not everyone is going to have the time or patience to stay on hold for that long to cancel the HSE one. It's a waste! I've tried twice with no joy but will try again in Irish, hopefully it will be quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Contact your consultant’s office and explain that you want to be put forward and added to their list for a 3rd dose. After that call, email them and ask for confirmation that you have been added to their list

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pressure building on NIAC to approve broader booster programme

Silly **** poll. Jesus people would prefer almost anything over lockdown.

But why are cabinet frustrated over NIAC? MOH can roll out the booster program without NIAC approval.

Just as some might prefer a lockdown over anything else! There is a mental component to dealing with something like a lockdown, especially 20 months into this thing. People are very tired and for the last number of months have one message after another as to help us get out of this. Firstly, it was vaccinations and we hit that target. Now apparently boosters may be the next thing but how much are people inclined to believe that anyway?

Donnelly does things by the book and there is no benefit to getting the Opposition and media on their case for making such unilateral decisions. Slow as they might be they are weighing up the merits of giving it to specific age groups and it is the right approach. It also means that it will be a very long time before anyone 60, who does not have an underlying condition, will be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The vaccines appear to be working very well, though infection numbers are higher than they were, hospital admissions is relatively low and a considerable proportion of those appear to be from the non-vaxed population. You appear not to accept the catastrophic effect this level of infection would have had without the vaccination programme. And for the umpteenth time, no one said the vaccine would provide protection indefinitely, like many other vaccines, boosters are needed due to waning efficacy and mutations of the virus, there is no “now apparently”.

Hard to believe this still needs to be explained after all this time.

Eh, my post was about the ongoing messaging and public response to it. Never fails to amuse me how people draw such bizarre conclusions from my posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Messaging changes in response to the developing situation, do you think the Government should stick to one message and not respond to infection rates/public safety?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an FYI on Housebound booster shoots.

After a very long time trying to contact HSE I was informed to contact the GP to arrange a shot. However when it was mentioned that the GP had refused to the boosters, the HSE contact's scripted response reached its limits. There are currently no plans to faciliate the Housebound in the foreseeable future nor is the Ambulance service going to be utilised (according to HSE contact).

I think they need to be more consistent and their advisers are beginning to look they have no idea either especially by pointing at random sectors to apply restrictions to. I do think someone needs to be brave enough to come out and say, this is till February and these are restrictions we will have standing by in case we need them or if hospitals numbers get to X. Not ruling things out is a cop out as it causes uncertainty and just annoys people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What proof is there that the vaccines are working well? Anyone with some statistical data?

Advertisement