Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

have we really played 4 nations league games by June next year. UEFA.com of no help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Brady said something like Portugal had a B team playing, which were still full of stars ...that should prove the point on how well we are doing!

This time last year, we would have killed for the last 3 results..seems people are going pick holes regardless of what we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jesus Brady is miserable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Really positive stuff from Ireland, they are actually watchable! I'd say keep Kenny and hope we continue this form and improve on Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

He has a point though why are we falling over ourselves to give him a contract straight away?

He's not calling for him to be sacked. He's saying let's see how it plays out next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

We've got four games in 10-12 days at the start of June, and two more September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Brady has just said Kenny has done quiet well but let’s wait and see. No rush.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

True, but our options upfront are so poor. McGrath isn't an attacker, but yet was deployed like one. Ogbene has a lot of strength and pace, but I am not sure he has the technical ability or finesse to link up with others. Idah came on and put a big shift in, but he never seems to look threatening. There was very little threatening play from the wing backs. Doherty got forward a bit, but didn't have the pace or the delivery to beat his man. Stevens did a little better, but barely. Robinson was the only one with a bit of trickery who made things uncomfortable for the Portuguese.

The thing is, I don't have much hope that the options on the bench would have done much better. O' Dowda, Parrott, Keane, all these players are much of a muchness unfortunately.

four nations league games or 2 and 2 friendlies in June?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Then what? Let him go if he doesn’t win the friendlies? Then who comes in, whoever is available? What if they don’t start winning straight away, bin them as well?

jaysis, very intensive for the off season. The World Cup of course is why I suppose.

in fairness Irish fans have had problems with contract extensions awarded too early so maybe you can see Brady’s point. I’d give him the contract extension personally. I’d hope any bump on salary is for inflation only.

Very intense which I think it's a bit pointless judging a contract extension on when lads could be missing and you could be looking at newer options.

Would offer the same terms as the wage is very generous as is and would have bonuses for qualification to the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

They can wait until next year to give him an extension but the problem is Kenny has worked on changing the style of play which most people are enjoying and most agree is better for the future of Irish football. If they opt to replace him right before the Euros what route are they going to go. If you revert to type and take the big name overseas manager I don't think it will serve us well and it's making any current progress a little redundant. So if you replace him it should be in the Kenny mould but better. Not sure who that candidate is. Regardless of when they do it I'd be of the opinion he should get the Euros campaign.

All the talk of contracts is a bit presumptuous, we still have a tricky tie against Luxembourg to play.

The last few results have definitely been a lot more encouraging. The fact that we have an Aviva that was full won't be lost on the board either I'd say. With that said, I think the recent run of good results has only repaired the damage of the previous results. If we were to lose against Luxembourg on Saturday, I am struggling to see how we could justify handing out a new contract. 4 points from 12 against Luxembourg/Azerbaijan just isn't good enough.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because we have a Nations League campaign starting in June, which is a great opportunity to all but ensure a play-off for the Euros.

What the sh*te will a few pointless friendlies tell us that we don't already know?

The players want him in, quite emphatically. Coleman out again saying he should remain on and not even being vague about it. Give him another deal and we can prepare for a competition where we can almost guarantee a play-off for the Euros instead of farting around waiting for pointless friendlies. That way he can use those friendlies to try out new systems and new players.

Liam Brady would love nothing more than for Stephen Kenny to fail, because he was part of a coaching ticket that said the players aren't good enough to play this way. He would love to sit there and say 'I told you so'.

Let's not pretend this is about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭floorpie

I wonder if the anti-Kenny posters, who maintained for a few years that we don't have the quality of player to compete, feel that our recent performances are a validation of the management's approach somewhat?

The confidence that we now see in the team is very enjoyable to watch imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭secman

• Advertisement

Not anti Kenny but a realist. Ithink the Covid no crowds etc really bansjaxed Kenny more than other managers. Then had injuries then had to get a settled side. Plus there were also his own mistakes previously wedded to passing it for the sake of it. As for tonight’s game it was exciting from a defensive point of view in the main. Little offered in attack. Yeah I know it was Portugal but it was hardly edge of seat stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Anyone who is still saying “wait and see until after friendlies” is just desperate for Kenny to fail. They need a few more games with possibly bad results to stick the knife in, because there is undeniable progress being made here. I suspect this talk of waiting now has come up because the excuse of him not being good enough finishing 4th might not be relevant anymore.

Kenny has come in, gutted the squad, brought youth in and changed our style of play over one campaign, where at the end of the day we might still finish at our seeded level. And even if we don’t he’s done way more work with the Irish team than anyone since Micks first stint, and over the last few months have actually been enjoyable to watch. He deserves a campaign with a the squad he has built, no question.

More clear support for Kenny.

I'd rather listen to what the players think than what Trap's former assistant thinks. Players never showed support like this for MO'N or Mick when their time was coming to an end.

Duffy probably sounds so upbeat because he's being filled with confidence instead of being told he's not capable of doing certain things beyond heading the ball away.

Exactly my thoughts. After an awful start (where his form and personal circumstances weren't helping) he was brought back into the side and has been fantastic. Leagues above the player we were watching 17/18 matches ago.

Between Coleman, McClean and Duffy speaking so emphatically, that's essentially the player leadership group.

Players are always going to support the manager that picks them. Robbie Keane once gave a passionate defence of Steve 'The Gaffer' Staunton. Kenny has done OK but lets not lose the run of ourselves.

• Advertisement

Not true (that is an odd generalisation) I am not desperate for Kenny to fail. But I am not naive enough to lock a fella in a contract in an organisation that is cash strapped when another better alternative might appear in the future, Important for the FAI to keep their options open,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Happy for Kenny. Didn't see the game but result speak for itself and highlights I've seen show some good passages of play at times from Ireland. A result against Luxembourg would set them nicely for a real crack at qualifying for the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The odd thing would be to wait until a manager's contract is all but expired before offering a new one. After Luxembourg is definitely the time for a decision to be made.

It would be ludicrous having come this far to look for a change of philosophy and it would also be a massive own goal by the FAI to first admit they got the appointment wrong and second that they are giving up on a long term plan after less than two years.

For such a cash strapped organisation I would say having a manager on a fairly low salary, who the players love, and the fans get behind, and is evidently starting to do what he said he would do (with a very poor squad on paper) must be the FAI's wet dream.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya I'd be giving him his extension now. Get it tied up. Let everyone move forward with clarity. There's enough clear evidence of progress and positivity. No point waiting for meaningless friendlies and a dead rubber with Luxembourg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The Luxembourg game is no dead rubber. A win takes us third and will help our seeding for the next couple of tournaments. It could be the difference between qualifying or not qualifying for a future tournament in terms of which teams we get grouped with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Im a Kenny fan and I'd still be waiting until after the Lux game to give him a new contract. Mostly because there's zero value to making a decision with incomplete data.

I thought the game was fairly meh. Brady might be a grumpy even bitter old man but Portugal fielded a weekened side with a clearly negative midset which absolutely helped our cause. Thought we looked fairly pedestrian for the whole game. Played so much better in Portugal.

Lux game will be interesting, hopefully we play well and win. I still think Kenny is the best option out there for the price and for the attempt at positive thinking/play. He's also a dedicated passionate irish man and that can't be bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,125 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah, if we beat Luxembourg then I'll be happy enough to see him get a new contract for the euros. I think we've improved after a dismal start. However, if we cannot beat Luxembourg home or away then that's a massive red flag for me and I'd need further proof that there's actual progress being made.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Once again there are extremes on both sides the pro Kenny people going on like we've won the world cup after a 0 all draw at home in a campaign where we've won no home games and have 6 points from 7 games which is a pathetic return no matter how you look at it. We are 3 points behind Luxembourg FFS.

Equally there are extremists on the other side who just don't like Kenny and have an agenda against him and LOI and want him sacked regardless of player opinion and progression. My own opinion is that he should be given the next qualifying campaign but that also it should be made clear that a significant improvement is expected and we are to seriously compete for qualification afterall that is the whole point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It has no bearing on seeding for the next Euros campaign, that's decided by the upcoming Nations League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If I was Kenny I would have Ogbene in every starting line up. very impressed with him last night. Kenny is doing a great job, it must be 2002 since we played enjoyable football to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Wait until after Luxembourg. Those are the games on which to judge.

So many people with skin in the game having set their stall out early (he hasn't a clue/he is the saviour of Irish football). And they don't want to row back or give an inch.

Personally I'd give him a new contract, it won't cost the earth. There's an assumption a big name manager will take us to a big tournament which is a stretch.

The cynic in me thinks Kenny will do a lot of the dirty work for whoever gets the gig next (implement a more attractive style, blood younger players who will be up to speed in 2-3 years).

We need some pace in the team. The options at CB are excellent, Doherty will do a job as RWB, but I'd like to see someone on the left with more pace than Stevens. Adaramola at Palace is a really exciting prospect.

We desperately need someone of Idahs stature but with a real goal threat. Lots of strikers popping up, Idah, Parrot, Obafemi etc.. But none of them we can hang our hat on. Still think Connolly is the best of them but he needs to sort himself out pronto, poor attitude. There's definitely a player there though.

Odubeko, Oko-Flex and Evan Ferguson seem to be best young prospects at underage (if they all actually play for us that is).

WB is definitely a position we need to start looking at options in next year before the Euros begin. For me Festy Ebosele could be brought into the seniors to have a closer look at him as he brings genuine pace that could hurt teams. Try him out on the right and the left. He's played on either side as a winger so no harm to try him out on both sides at WB.

Biggest issue with Idah is he's being asked to do the work that McGoldrick was doing and by doing that you don't get yourself into goal scoring positions much. I know it's underage and things are different but at underage he was more often in goalscoring positions because he had Parrott supporting him. If Wes was younger he could do what Parrott was doing in the final third at underage level then allowing Idah to be more than a link up player.

Not saying Idah would then be the answer to our prayers but we as badly need if not more need someone that can be that creative player in the final third. We could have someone that knows where the net is but without someone that can create these chances then he's living on scarps really like our forward players are at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Seems to have pushed Idah down the pecking order alright and probably deserves his place but he seemed to be pushed around and bullied a bit in the first half until the Portugal defender finally got a yellow.

Needs to toughen up a little imo.

• Advertisement

The FAI haven't a pot to piss in money wise to attract a so called 'top' manager. Kenny will rightly have his contract extended. It has taken time but the signs or progress are clear, the players want to play for him and the staff and he has his finger on the pulse in terms of players coming through and looking to break through.

Never liked him from after that cross in the 79 Cup final for Arsenals winner! United fan!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Brady is on the late late show with Dunphy, wonder if his mood will have improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

To be honest I don't think you can judge on just one match. Even if the Lux game goes badly it doesn't change the picture. Lux are no bad side - won 3-1 away yesterday.

Hope they drop that €1000 fine she got,she generated a lovely story that put a smile on the whole country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

They won't be judging on one match. They'll be judging on all matches, all performances and all results. It would be silly (even if their minds are made up regardless of the Lux game) to take any action before the end of the campaign. There's zero gain in it.

For all the other reasons I've mentioned in past posts, money, no massively better options etc I think sticking with Kenny regardless of the match against Lux is the right call. But if we put in a poor performance and lose I'll be much less positive about his tenure going forward.

We can't keep going one step forward, one step back or it looks more like chance than change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We where decent last night but lets not forget the context

Portugal came the night before , never trained here ,rested about 6 players & where delighted to draw,

All these decent results are coming when its all ready game over for us,

If we don't be Luxenberg the campaign been a complete failure,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

He put himself about but the lads has 1 goal in his last 67 games in the Championship , League 1 & league 2 ,

Not great form an attacker,

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone is judging it on one game, but if we fail to beat Luxembourg on Saturday, we'll have finished the campaign second bottom with one a single win. I am not convinced that is a very good platform for a crack at the Euro play-off's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement