Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair enough. They must be confident that he can get back to full fitness. Great when fit but not fit most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

He's had a good run over the past 3 seasons, he's well over the injury problems imo. And has been playing the best rugby of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

plus its not like leinster have notable young wingers pushing for caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ah yeah, Dave Kearney will be around for this season and next season for sure. He's been banging in the tries when available, which he was very often last season. He played 1,458 minutes, including 19 starts and 10 tries. Maybe you're thinking of the previous season where he was only available for 13 games (885 minutes), but he still bagged 12 tries in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think some of our lads will be looking at other provinces. This new format and league is drying up playing time. I think English sides would grab a couple of Leinster players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Every year this gets said for one reason or another, we’ve too many in x position y&z will look to move or he’s stuck behind such and such and needs to move to have a chance for Ireland & it really rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Depends on their international ambitions, go to england and can't play for Ireland. More likely to join one of the other provinces.

But lads, some players are not in the discussion for international rugby. Why not take on a new challenge?

Because they want to live in dublin and play for leinster, most players will back themselves to beat out the competition. Now will some older squad players have contract offers to stay thats a different matter.

Maybe, but there is always the prospect of a larger paycheck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The age profile in some positions is such that this natural churn of older players doesn't come into play, tho. At 7 there's VdF (28), Leavy (27), Connors (25), Penny (22).

Look at Penny. He was young player of the year last season, but 47% of his minutes came during International windows. This season he's had 1 start, and that at a time when Will Connors is out injured.

Fewer games, and none during the International window is a more significant change than we've seen previously. It may have an impact.

Connors is more likely to leave than Penny, but we shall wait and see.

there will always be players who leave leinster, especially as the other provinces recruit them so heavily and are so willing to give them gametime over their own options.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I see we're back to wanting players to leave Ireland rather than play for another province again.

In fairness one person suggested they might move to England for money, not sure anyone suggested wanting anything.

of course not, if a leinster player wants to play for another province, all power to him, best of luck.

I'm not saying they're better off abroad. Just that the earnings would probably be better. It wouldn't surprise me to see a couple take a paycheck. What would Deegans value be at the moment? He's got a tremendous way to go, just to catch up to Conan and Doris! The other provinces are stacked quite well with 8's. Perhaps he can go to another province and win the 8 shirt. What about R.O.L? He's got Osborne coming up in his rear view. Connacht would not be an option. They are solid at center. Ulster too! He might be tempted to go to Munster. But I think he's 4th choice center by years end. I am just guessing obviously! Speculation!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a big bag of O'Briens who are fighting for scraps as well. I can't see them all sticking around Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I think Irish rugby might have to look at how we treat players who move overseas. Beirne left because he was either going or wasn't going to be a pro. He then got left out (unfairly in my opinion) till he arrived back. Based on the format of no games during international windows it is natural to think squads won't have to be quite as large. You're only talking 4/5 players less but if they move to get gametime I don't think they should continue to be left out of an irish conversation if performance merits selection.

I personally don't think the floodgates will open if someone playing overseas gets selected. They will know their performance needs to be significantly better than someone based here for that to happen. Money and conditions are good with the provinces. Irish lads seem to want to play for their home province. But if it a case of 3/4 games with leinster in a season or 15/20 in England I know which will improve a player long term development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The problem is that the 4 or 5 players you're talking about will in the long run end up being the better players who have big money moves on the table.

Being able to play internationally only by being in Ireland is one of the only carrots that the IRFU have to keep the top-end players which in turn benefits the provinces. Players like Porter, Doris, Ryan etc. could jump at multiples of their current salaries if offered from France or England. Sure, some have loyalties but some will understandably see the big money and take the chance.

The new URC hurts nearly all the provinces (Connacht more than any) and hopefully when the format is rejigged in two years, the IRFU will hold out for a return of league games during this window.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

How much money is there in Wales, Scotland, Italy and SA? I would be in favour of Irish players playing for any URC side being considered for selection. Because there isn't a danger the first-choice players will be poached, but the conditions could be right for unearthing another few Tadhg Beirnes.

And England or France-based players being considered come World Cup time (although I can't see that one happening with making money in the 6N being the IRFU's primary objective).

I think the above would strike the right balance between having a large pool of players to draw on and incentivising top players to stay in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Leinster A side to face Ulster A has been named.

15. Jimmy O’Brien

14. Rob Russell

13. Tommy O’Brien

12. Conor O’Brien

11. Dave Kearney

10. David Hawkshaw

9. Nick McCarthy

1. Peter Dooley

2. James Tracy

3. Vakh Abdaladze

4. Brian Deeny

5. Josh Murphy

6. Martin Moloney

7. Scott Penny (CAPTAIN)

8. Max Deegan

REPLACEMENTS

16. Seán Cronin

17. Jack Boyle

18. Mick McCormack

19. Joe McCarthy

20. Sean O’Brien

21. Cormac Foley

22. Charlie Tector

23. Chris Cosgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Do we need a few more O'Briens?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How does the URC hurt connacht more then others if there is fewer games and bigger rest periods?

The qualification process for the Champions Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Connacht have six games this year against Leinster, Munster and Ulster due to the 'shield' system. The three teams currently sitting 1, 2 and 3 in the overall table and historically three of the best teams in the league over the past few years.

To contrast one example, Glasgow play both Italian teams twice as well as Edinburgh twice and then each of the Irish provinces only once.

Each shield winner gets a EC place with four extra places for the four best placed teams who didn't win their shield so playing lesser quality teams will undoubtedly provide an easier route to those four places. Similarly, Glasgow simply have to be better than Edinburgh and the two Italian teams to qualify automatically.

It's patently unfair (albeit benefitting the Scottish and Welsh teams on the flipside) and the IRFU voted against this format last time around but because it was a majority vote, it passed. The format review in two years requires unanimous agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Maybe it would be unfair if you didn't take into account that Connacht generally do better against the other provinces than they do against non-Irish teams.

Connacht have always had 6 games against Leinster, Munster and Ulster; that's not new and not due to the shield format. (And will still be the case in 2 years time; the IRFU won't want to lose that).

But I agree, they are still at the largest disadvantage overall with the new format because 1) The shield format of qualification for the CC that you explained and 2) with fewer games, the 6 vs the other Provinces have a bigger weighting / bearing on the overall positions.

• Advertisement

And maybe they do worse against the non-Irish teams because of the additional effort vs the Provinces. Whatever way you slice it, I think it's pretty clear Connacht are at the biggest disadvantage,

Advertisement