Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

it wasn’t a rant about Monbiot, more of an actual description of who he is and what he does.

its kind of comical how Cummings used to be the spawn of the devil and now he is the beacon of truth.

just goes to show people will listen to and believe whatever suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Just because he's the spawn of the devil doesn't mean he doesn't tell the truth - in fact a devil needs to speak quite a lot of truth to be able to get away with the odd untruth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Cummings does what's best for Cummings, but what we've seen has been nothing radical beyond the standard response by a former fixer who knows where the bodies are buried, but got shafted by a previous ally.

Spawn of the devil? If we're speaking in pejoratives it's as good a hyperbole as anything, but his devilment doesn't preclude the situation where he's now speaking truth to suit The preservation of his skin. Shades of Michael Cohen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ha, Cummings a beacon of truth, said literally no one ever. Look, everybody knew of his and Kuennsbergs cosy little relationship anyway, it was westminsters worst kept secret. Its insulting peoples intelligence to even try and dispute that. But the real issue with Kuennsberg goes beyond anything to do with sources and to the crucial issue of trust and judgement. When a source gets in touch to inform you a tory official has been punched by a labour activist and you rush to spew that "news" out to your followers without conducting even the faintest trace of due diligence, im afraid you risk facing stern questions about your judgement and reliability. And that wasn't by any means an isolated incident, there has been a clear pattern of this with Laura Kuennsberg.

The funny thing is, i wondered whether I hadn't overstepped the mark a little when i said earlier you couldn't stand George Monbiot. Needn't have worried, i underestimated you. From your ad hominem it's clear you not just can't stand him, you viscerally loathe him. He really boils your blood.

Monbiot doesn’t boil my blood in the slightest. He is a columnist. He writes a column based on his opinion. One I think is generally bollocks, but other than that I couldn’t care about him. I read his columns but take them with a pinch of salt, as every right minded person should

the reason he is able to give his opinion on Peston and Kuennsberg and make snide little digs about them being “courtiers” is that he writes his opinions, they report the news. One of whom is the political editor for the state broadcaster. She is not allowed to give her opinion (remember the BBC giving Nagar Munchetty a warning for doing just that?).

people (especially it seems George Monbiot fans) dislike Kuennsberg because she doesn’t say what they want her to say. Partly because she can’t and partly because what they want her to say is the kind of opinion Monbiot would give.

• Advertisement

Well, that's a relief. For a while, i was thinking to myself, god this man must have done something bad to you, made a pass at your girlfriend one night, tried to nick your pint. But no, you don't actually care a hoot about him one bit. That's good to know.

The thing is, when i initially mentioned Monbiot, I did say "iirc" and I don't think I did, at least i checked and can't find any link to him and Laura Kuennsberg so it must have been someone else who came up with it. So if you're reading George, I owe you a massive apology, you don't belong in this conversation at all!

What you say about Kuennsberg and opinions i don't fully agree with. A big part of her brief is weighing up events and analysing, i think it would be silly to expect this to come without some latitude to offer an opinion. Again, what it boils down to is judgement and a bit of skill and savvy in skirting that line you will always be dancing around. Kuennsberg fails that test too many times for my liking, i think her judgement is poor and lacking. That's my opinion anyway.

Leaving Monbiot out of it (again, sorry man), the comparison i would make is with Beth Rigby, who if I'm not mistaken, is her direct counterpart on sky, just without the public brief. As long as I've watched rigby, i honestly could not hazard even the remotest guess as to what way she swings politically. She could be a rabid right winger, have her bedroom decked out in farage and Johnson posters for all I know, but she comes across as scrupulously fair and incisive in her work and that's all i ever ask for someone in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Labour finally take the lead in an opinion poll, Ipsos MORI. First time Labour have had a lead with that organisation since last year, and they have had the Conservatives ahead by as much as 11 points in the summer. Fieldwork was from 29th October to 4th November (Patterson affair reached a head on the 3rd November, Cop26 started on the 1st November). Whilst good news for Labour on the face of it, the fact that they haven't actually gained should be worrying - it's just a move from Tory to Green which might be short-term. Labour appear kinda stuck.

Labour 36 (unchanged), Con 35 (-4), Green 11 (+5), LibDem 9 (unchanged)

Ratings for the Conservatives and Boris Johnson fall in Ipsos MORI’s latest Political Monitor | Ipsos MORI

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Greens swing seems significant; 5 points reads quite sizable, overtaking the Lib Dems at that making them the 3rd party? When's the next election of any note that a bellwether could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,736 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

3rd in England but way down in 4th or even 5th seats wise depending on where those votes are coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Couple of by-elections on the way, nothing too competitive but there's still usually some information in the swings.

First up is the wonderfully named 'Old Bexley and Sidcup' on the 2nd December. One of those constituencies that merit nothing more than 'Conservative hold' at the bottom of the screen on GE night. The late James Brokenshire won with 65% in 2019. Doubtless another Conservative win, but the percentage will be the tell.

2021 Old Bexley and Sidcup by-election - Wikipedia

After that there will need to be by-elections early next year for the Sir David Amees & Owen Paterson constituencies. The later looks the more interesting, whilst again it's a safe seat (60%+ for Paterson) that has been Tory since it's creation, Labour did come close in 1997.

• Advertisement

Looks more like a reaction to events at Cop 26 than anything to do with Owen Paterson. Next polls should tell more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

You may be right, but it may also indicate a movement from some (particularly younger) voters from the Conservatives to the Greens. After all, a similar thing is happening in Ireland where one of the threats to Fine Gael is also the Green party.

Now whether these younger people actually vote (and I see that Barack Obama is at COP trying to encourage them), is another matter. But if they do, it may hive off enough Tory votes to let Labour win in some constituencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Do the Conservatives even have that many young voters to lose?

I really can't imagine that there is any sort of swing vote between Tories and Greens.

More likely some Labour has gone Green but balanced by similar numbers of Tories going Labour

Yeah, not just Ireland, but if you look across Europe to places like Germany, Belgium, even Hungary, there's been a pattern of sustained growth in support for the greens and that is, in part, down to their success in attracting people outside the usual young radical lefty support base. At one point they were polling no.1 in Germany though they didn't sustain that at the election.

It may be that their time has arrived in the UK and this mini surge can continue but, as we know of course, the system is entirely against them and all smaller parties. People will like them and wish them well but feel the vote will be wasted, unless there's some serious groundswell that can convince them otherwise. Their impressive vote gains in the last local and mayoral elections tallied closely with labour losses and not sure I'd see any reason yet why that won't continue to be the case moving forward. Remains to be seen i suppose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In 2015 the DUP got 8 MPS with 184,260 votes. That's 48 times better than the Greens got from 1,111,603 votes which returned a single MP. FPTP means that Greens don't matter in Westminster.

In 1997 Labour got 56 MPs in Scotland. In both 2019 and 2015 they got one. Labour still have to come to terms with the fact that there's over 50 seats in Scotland will never get again which makes it exponentially harder for them to win a UK general election outright than before.

Labour are gambling that they'll get into power soon. But SNP would rather see the Tories in power because that brings independence closer so the price for their supporting Labour will be nothing less than independence.

If Labour don't get into power soon then the SNP might even do a deal with the devil, and they won't be asking for a referendum, and if that happens Labour will risk facing the Tories in future FPTP elections without the presence of 50+ SNP MPs on the opposition benches.

In addition to the permanent loss of the Scottish seats there's the boundary changes which likely see a few Labour MP's from Wales being lost as it goes from 40 to 32 seats. Looking at the map below it looks like they'll loose a few red wall seats to the south in England.

So there's ~60 seats that Labour used to get that they can't anymore. And the Tories can get about 10 Unionist votes by threatening them with a Border Poll.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57400901

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There apparently are murmurings within the Tory party that Johnson's reign as leader isn't going to last much longer. His need to defend allegations that Britain is corrupt at the COP26 summit seemingly was the icing on the cake. I'm very surprised that his advisors allowed him to make that speech although I'm not sure what he meant about it being chauvinist...

At a press briefing, Johnson allowed six journos to ask questions and of those, five asked questions regarding Tory sleaze.

Not sure what has changed within the Tory party if these claims about Boris being near the end are true. The Tories and their friends have been benefitting from the widespread corruption during the pandemic and all have been defending it. Similarly, they all stood by their leader while thousands of British people were let die needlessly (sure Tory MPs still sit in Westminster without masks). Every day we read about more contracts or jobs being given to Torys and their friends and families. I guess that it's not the sleaze that they are against, it's people knowing about it that they don't like.

I think this was long mooted as a possibility, that even with his huge majority, they wouldn't be slow to ditch Johnson as soon as the veneer of his populism wore off and he was deemed an electoral liability. Thatcher, remember, delivered an even bigger majority in '87 and was gone 3 years later so the numbers are no guarantee of impregnability. We were reminded last week too of the power and influence the telegraph retains over Johnson, if they were to turn on him for any reason, that could easily spell the beginning of the end for him.

Very noticeable that a lot of the internal anger was being driven by the newer intake of mps, a generally younger set who aren't as steeped in the arrogance and entitlement of the older crew and were simply appalled at what they witnessed, albeit hardly saying much for their sense of judgement if they were that shocked by it! And, of course, given all the stuff swirling around randox and testing contracts, phones going missing, messages being wiped etc, they must be terrified at more stuff emerging that will make all this, the absurd Geoffrey Cox included, look like chicken feed.

I think it's not merely the whiff of scandal, but more the lack of judgement and jarring complacency that is alarming tories. Taking that risk for Paterson, for whatever reason, was simply reckless and stupid. If they'd jettisoned him, and latterly Cox too, there's every chance they'd have got through this and also further limited the damage by dragging opposition politicians into the murk and broadening the public disdain. It's that complacency will be his undoing, if not now then sooner rather than later and quite noticeable, sunak keeping his powder dry this past week, though did see him on one of the channels a while back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's not just complacency, it's the entitlement that it breeds. They seem to think that they're above the law or that normal rules simply do not apply to them in the same or way, or even at all. Johnson is there because of his popularity with the party membership. He's only liked or tolerated because they think he can win the next election. If that changes, and this is precisely the sort of corruption that can easily do that, he'll be jettisoned just as he himself has plotted and schemed in the past.

Things like the pandemic focus minds and corruption isn't like the Brexit debate where technical jargon can be easily dismissed as being too esoteric in favour of empty slogans. We saw the expenses scandal wreck New Labour and the same may well happen here if Starmer presents himself as the anti-corruption option.

They're on very shaky ground IMO. They've basically embraced the problem that Labour has, two mutually exclusive voting blocs and it's not a recipe for success. Southern voters tend to be fairly frugal and aren't going to be too keen on state largesse (if it ever arises) for the economically abandoned north. The north resents the south due to the concentration of wealth and opportunity there. Labour have the same issue with their older working class voters and the social liberals who tend to cluster in cities though there is a shift underway as people prioritise quality of life a bit more than before with many moving out of the cities and into the countryside. London's population actually shrank this year for the first time in decades. 

2023/4 is likely to be a Tory win as things stand but this corruption scandal looks like it's only getting worse for Johnson. At best, he's looking at a slimmer majority than before. He's looking like one of the worst PM's of all time so history will accord him his due at least.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Callaghan was done for by the 'winter of discontent'. His problems piled one on top of another.

I suspect the same is happening to Johnson. To stand up in an international conference and announce that the 'UK is not a corrupt country' is about as stupid as you can get. It is the Bart Simpson defence - 'I didn't do it, no-one saw me'.

He should be able to say that he is 'like Caesar's wife - beyond reproach' - only he cannot because he is not, in fact he is up to his neck in it. It calls in question that his defence of Paterson was driven by a need to call off the investigation into his own behaviour.

We shall see how quickly the knives come out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Being asked 5 times in front of the whole world is a global humiliation. It's a question that would be expected for the likes of Bolsonaro, not the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. How far this country has fallen in the eyes of the world...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It's an interesting mix Johnson has coming to him. The soft right "I work hard for my money" types will put up with a serious amount of unpalatable social and foreign affairs moves from the Tories as long as their taxes and jobs are ok. But one thing they won't take is sleaze and corruption (if it doesn't benefit them)

On the other side has the hard right who won't care about this but will hate what he is saying at Cop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Alastair Campbell was on Question Time last night and gave a monologue on the Boris Johnsons practice of breaking the law.

Question time posted the piece on various platforms, but edited it to leave out one key piece of information. Hard to look at that and not think it was done to protect Johnson/the Tories. The show has previously had fingers pointed at it for selecting particularly Por-Brexit audiences.

"Time constraints" or "unforseen production glitch" or "tiredness" due to overworking, always some excuse with the bbc as when they edited out the audience laughing at Johnson or "inadvertently" used a 3 year old clip of the cenotaph wreath placing. Whenever this crops up, though, can never stop being reminded of that Thick of It scene where Tucker barges into the edit booth and stands over their shoulder while they work. Think that was itv but same difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

There's definitely an opening for a Gogglebox type episode where we watch UK politicians watching episodes of 'The Thick of It' and listen to them laugh at how downplayed everything is.

There was a brilliant edit a few years back where the lads on The Thick of It are watching an interview of a politician who has a blinking twitch when he is lying and perfectly spliced in a Jeremy Hunt interview

Oh definitely, while i believe Ianucci to be a near comic genius, if he'd ever scripted Dominic Cummings, I'd have said, come off it man, be reasonable!

The lads at South Park admitted to being in crisis after the Trump vote because they couldn't outdo the real world for wacky BS anymore. It was just beyond satire.

Parts of that Brexit border patrol show were good too. Great premise but the humour was tame and Ide love to have seen it in Ianucci's hands.

Yeah, definitely fraught times for comics. Watched HIGNFY for first time in a while last week and at one point, the presenter asks something like "who was with the pope when Biden went to visit him recently" and Paul Merton, ridiculously, answers "Wayne Rooney". So the presenter runs with it for a few seconds and Ian Hislop is fooled into believing it. And why wouldn't he? Much, much stranger things are happening right now.

Also, wasn't there the guy who dialled 999 because his local KFC had run out of chicken or something? I thought, even Chris Morris couldn't have written that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Looks like the tide is turning. Sleaze is now doing what Brexit failed to do - wake up the electorate.

They need north of 45% to get a majority, but SNP have eaten their Scottish breakfast, so maybe they need more.

Advertisement