Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with my Manager

Options

Comments

A moment on the lips... forever on your Reference :D

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

Pointing out bullying or malpractice by a manager should in now way have any bearing on a future reference which from HR tend to be completely generic these days (person A worked here from xxxx to xxxx).

It could come back to bite you down the road in other ways depending on how small the industry you work in is and how influential your manager is. If you do have another job lined up, then maybe better to say nothing. Depends on how unreasonable you feel your manager's behaviour has been. In this case, it seems very bad so worth at least alluding to it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

In the mean time, document everything, write down what has happened, ignoring emails, ignoring requests for AL, ignoring when others praised you. Excluding you when meeting up with staff. Log things going forward. See if there are any internal roles you can apply for as a means of switching manager.

Going to HR would be going Nuclear, they don't work for you they have the best interests of the company at heart. You or your manager are expendable.

Honestly best to look for another Job at least that way you have choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

“Ignoring when others praise you”, is that a thing now? You have to be praised if others praise you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yes if it's a pattern of behavior where others get recognition for a job well done but you don't when it's clearly due. It passive aggressive.

• Advertisement

It is? Every manager must praise you because one does? Is is possible some managers would just view it as doing the job the op is being paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 veil

You desire acknowledgement, my dear, the fact still remains she is your manager which means you have to put up with her until you have an option, so I will suggest you apply 'condition behavior' with her. Don't be intimidated, her position is just a title, as an employee you have an upper hand, play her card very well, she might just be looking for a way to take you out, if the pay is good, you shouldn't back out; about the email, try copying as many recipient as possible (including your personal mail different from the company)to prevent any unforeseen circumstances ,for that will be a backup, in case she wishes to use that against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,669 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're deliberately misconstruing what is being said I reckon.

The OP isn't looking for an announcement on the intranet every time they did something but the case they outlined and the lack of any sort of recognition from their Line Manager is telling.

I've worked in mid-level management roles for years and it is a frequent line of communication between people at that level to ensure people are recognized by their line manager (and others as appropriate) when they have excelled in a particular way. It costs nothing for the company to do it, but can have a very positive effect on employee moral.

The company I work in at the moment has a monthly newsletter from the CEO and frequently after successful projects have been delivered someone may be identified by name in for the efforts they put in. The company has offices in 7 locations in the US and 4 other countries and not everyone knows everyone else but when someone is recognized in this way, it generally leads to positive vibes within their team/office and that can only be a good thing. The CEO doesn't know the minutae of who did what on a project but the fact that the information got as far as him for the article shows the PM, the Group Manager and Office Director recognized the efforts and that is where the benefit is.

I don’t think that any would deny that praise improves moral, but is the op’s manager required to praise them, and is it bullying if they don’t?.

No in both cases, but it indicates a pattern and is worthy of being noted.

• Advertisement

12/11/21, Got no praise today, I’m being bullied.

You know that is not what is being implied here. But, carry on.

I’m sorry, I do.

The bar on what is considered bullying was raised a few years ago in the Supreme Court case below. The warriors that inhabit boards often blow on about bullying when there is even the slightest issue at work. The op and his/her manager don’t have a great relationship, sounds like both would benefit from being apart, but does any of what the op posted amount to repeated assaults on his/her dignity at work? Or is it just that the op wants to work on another team where he/she feels more appreciated?

https://www.matheson.com/insights/detail/has-the-supreme-court-decision-in-ruffley-established-a-higher-threshold-for-bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Personally, I wouldn't go near HR to state you're being bullied as I don't think it would warrant any more than a quiet word from HR to the manager at best. Despite being confidential, these things travel around and as your line manager will be responsible for assessing your performance and development potential within the organization, it might hold you back down the road. Also, if your desired manager was aware he/she may think that you could be problematic to them also and not endorse a change.

Perhaps it might be better to approach it a bit softer to HR indicating that you love working for the company and see your future there but that you don't really click with your current manager.... just one of those things and there is no hard feelings etc. etc. Then you could propose a the other manager.

Good luck!

I never mentioned 'bullying' and don't think necessarily that that is the case here.

But that doesn't mean that the OP is not entitled to support their request to move to another manager.

Won't somebody please think of the other manager? Maybe they don't want another person reporting to them, I know I wouldn't be too pleased to be asked to manage another person out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends if the other person is any good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Of course its bullying.

She's being singled out unfairly, treated differently and blanked. It also unprofessional and unproductive.

If I was the OP I would just make lateral move to another team. I would ask around see who is looking for staff. I wouldn't go through HR, I just go where I was needed more.

Just because you say it is, doesn’t make it so.

Just because you say it isn't, doesn't make it not bullying either...but it ticks a lot of the boxes.

The problem for this manager is they are most likely creating a history of treating the OP differently in their communications without realising it.

The OPs best option is just move to different manager. Avoid the drama queen and get back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,471 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Re: the holiday requests... if she doesn’t reply within a reasonable timeframe.. escalate....I had a manager who was a bit ‘slow’ on the admin side of things like that... one year she cost me and the other half over a hundred euros between us, my holiday request was sitting in her inbox... I verbally reminded her, 4 days later no approval, kicked it up the chain to her boss along with screenshots of the price hike... she must have got a bollocking because totally became efficient...

..and always keep paper/email records. Even if a person is ignoring you or trying not to leave a trace. Nothing so useful as a long paper train.

"Further to our meeting, (even if its verbal in the corridor) at location, at time, items discussed, agreed. With regard to our phone call, ,....as agreed..."

You can be sure if someone only ever does things verbally, especially if they are at a senior level, it often done very much on purpose.

Learnt that lesson on one my first IT jobs as a contractor. Been a lifesaver so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ashley02

Good news to report, I've just been informed that I'm moving to the other manager from the 1st of January. Thanks for all your advice & help.

Excellent. Great early Christmas present. Just a word of caution if I can, don't gloat towards your current manager, continue to be professional and polite and don't make any reference to the grievance you felt existed. If they ask you to do something before you transfer across, try to do it as long as it is any way a reasonable request. And even in the new year, if you have any dealings with them, stay professional.

Well done. You should take a self confidence boost from navigating this.

Excellent. I think thats the smart play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭n0minus1

You might want to wait until the new year before asking 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because they said they were moving to the new manager on Jan 1st. It is in the post that you quoted

Advertisement