Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Good appointment, but the county board are still Muppet's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

From what I heard it was more by accident than design that this came about. County Board had very little to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MfMan

How do you know the mentality and attitude of the squad is a problem? There was nothing wrong with it when they powered through the league earlier in the year. The pace level needs improvement for definite and a stern eye needs to be cast on the half-back and midfield lines. Rebuilding required there, for however long it takes Shefflin to recognise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Look at the performances in the championship that's all the evidence you need. League means F all in the grand scheme of things, a lot of shadow boxing going on there, Limerick didn't set the world alight in the league, yet were head and shoulders above everyone else in the championship. Losing to Dublin was poor enough, but, to follow that up with such a poor first half performance against Waterford really does show that there was a problem with the attitude and mental approach within the squad, team selection and tactics were also contributing factors, but, the minimum required is having the right attitude, if you don't have that all the tactics or ability in the world won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Good interview with Joe here, said he mishit the free that tied the AI in 2015!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

You wouldn’t know its county final weekend around here! Don’t know about the the rest of ye but the update to this site has put me right off it, takes so long to load and so much more awkward to find anything. I think corofin will have too much for MM at the weekend, they’ve been building steadily through the championship and have won all their games impressively but only in 3rd gear at most. No Gary Sice this year so far. It Dylan Canney is filling his boots well so far along with Darragh Silke, Dylan Wall is playing well and having Daithi Burke solely focused on football at the minute is a huge advantage. MM have been scoring goals this year but no doubt this will have been identified by the corofin backroom team. Should be a good game hopefully but I think Corofin will win it with the beating they got last year fresh in the minds.

Live coverage of the Senior Final on TG4 from 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,464 ✭✭✭✭cson

Prime example of how not to do a migration. I imagine the user base has been absolutely gutted. A pity, because there was interesting discussion to be had on the thread, fairly informative too at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Agree, who beat Moycullen? Who beat Turloughmore and who is left in the senior hurling?

Apologies but not a local

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

Mountbellew beat Moycullen in the semi-final of the football.

In the hurling Gort are playing St Thomas' in the semi-final with Clarinbridge awaiting the winners of that in the final.

• Advertisement

Gort not fulfilling fixture v st Thomas , surely that's St Thomas through. Unless politics prevails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭cosatron

Great performance by mountbellew. Play lovely football and corofin had no answer for mb power and pace

An eventful weekend on the football fields in the county (and not so on the hurling field!)

Very well deserved win for M/M with Foley, 2 Dalys, Barrett and Eoin Finnerty all catching the eye - the latter 2 surely worth another look at county level. A lot of Corofin's prominent players didn't show up, with more then one of them being subbed. When / who are M/M up against next?

Cortoon drop down to Intermediate after only one season at the top level following their defeat to Barna; given the meagre resources they operate of and the rising age profile of their squad, it could be a while before they're seen again at the top tier.

Dunmore couldn't end a 13-year wait to get back up, having lost to Lettermore in the Intermediate final. Despite only scoring a point in the second half, they'll be kicking themselves, as they ceded a 3-point lead with 5 to go to lose by one. At the other end, Menlough drop down to Junior, having lost to St. Gabriels aet in the relegation play-off. (A lot of the once-prominent Senior clubs in N Galway are struggling at the lower levels these days).

Claregalway are mopping up at Minor A & B levels, but couldn't extend that dominance to Junior level as Moycullen took that title today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Delighted for Mountbellew/Moylough on their victory today. They were becoming the "Mayo" of Galway Football having lost 4 finals in 6 years albeit to the best team in the country on 3 occasions. And last year having finally defeated Corofin in the semi then losing out to Moycullen in the final. Heartbreak!

They finally have their day.

I wonder did Joe Biden ring Val Daly after the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I'm a bit suprised the hurling final isn't on TG4, does the county get any money if you pay for a stream or where does it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭obi604

Ah flip!

i just presumed it would be televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Congrats to Thomas’. Clarinbridge physically have a way to go. Weather was decent today but it’s a pity the county final is played on a heavy pitch. A December county final isn’t right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

With Joe gone into minor backroom team looks to be the final nail in his inter county playing career. Pity because I reckon he had at least 2 years left. It would have making Henry's management easier too as you could build a team around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭spurshero

Injuries have taken its toll … wouldn’t have been able for inter county demands .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Have to feel for Mountbellew/Moylough losing out to Pearses because of some ridiculous refereeing decisions

Awful way to lose a game. Hard to take

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Very little sympathy here and amazed you never mentioned the abuse of the referee at the end. I was at the game, they played well for 15 minutes (last 5 minutes of the first half and first 10 of the second, when Pearses were down to 14) scored 5 of their 7 points then and we’re aided by a fortunate goal. Better team won.

The referereing at Connacht Club championship stage has always been suspect. We have seen Refs trying to clear the way for their own counties in the next round by taking out a big team from another county likely to win it out when they get an opportunity. Valdimire Putin would even blush when it comes to the Connacht council and it's carry on with ref appointments and fixtures down through the years. There are some common denominators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Some lengthy bans on the way for some of the Mountbellew lads. No justification for their behaviour.

If the refs performance is reviewed I doubt we’ll see him ever ref at this level again. He was piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

A shocking referee according to neutrals I spoke to who were in Hyde but it's absolutely unacceptable to try bully a referee post-match like that. The standard of refereeing is only going to get worse when prospective referees see the treatment and abuse they're still getting. From what I can see in the clip there's a couple of ex-county lads who could be in hot hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Peter Cooke unavailable for the footballers in 2022. He's away abroad again.

A big loss as he was just getting back into good form again in the latter half of the club championship after being abroad in 2020. Midfield options looking a little thin now so presume we'll have to see a couple new faces in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

When there's talk of lads only coming back due to work/ambassadorial obligations you know the football panel is gonna be up to nothing again in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Logged back on here for the first time in many a year. I originally started this forum in June 2009!!

Looking forward to 2022, has anyone bought the Season ticket yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

No one wants to play under this manager. Years going by, wasted. Cooke wouldn't be heading off if he thought there was any hope of doing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Any word of any new faces in for the FBD?

Advertisement