Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry for the late reply marine, working life occasionally gets in the way of odd internet arguments, needs must as they say though.

I've already been reading the replies in my absence though, it would appear that I'm correct, you're throwing around the "goading" accusation in reference to the word "subject" yet (bizarrely) admit it's the entirely correct word to use at the same time, "goading" in this instance simply boils down to = Marine Layer finding the description correct, yet uncomfortable.

The pseudonym thing, I wasn't trying to have a go by asking you if you were sure you understood the meaning of the word, because my understanding of the word, a pseudonym is a false/made up name used by authors, (for example) to hide their real name, (much like a boards username for example)

With that in mind, you simply can't be on here claiming subject = pseudonym from one side of your mouth, yet acknowledge that subject is a correct term to use from the other side, and expect to be taken seriously, because one statement contradicts the other.

Same goes for the "goading" accusations.

I wouldn't be so petty as to resort to ask you to withdraw the accusations, instead I will just suggest that you'd be as well to park them up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Let the law take its course, my friend.

Get on with life, there are and were folk in the Dáil who have had convictions for serious crime.

Id be very much more worried about those folk than this issue.

Lets let the law take its course.

1, This morning you were practically frothing at the mouth about people "raking over guts" -

2 Few hours later, you're bewildered why people are "ignoring the past" of others.

3 And in the next sentence, mentioned something about "hypocrisy and faux distaste"

Never change Brenner, never change. 🤣🤣

Lookit Randal, the Brenner won’t change if that’s what’s worrying you.

I’ll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,655 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He didn't confess and apologise for what you accuse him of.

Desperate attempt to lie and pretend.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Advertisement

That was a Sinn Fein type of apology, he didn't apologise for the leaking of the document, he apologised for a number of other things.

Actually your re construct of it is a misinterpretation of my position at best or a misrepresentation I'll assume the former, because I'm not going to be mean here

I'm not surprised obviously

I'm simply stating that there are 4 things common to your side of the thread

1.Repetition

2. Using the word subject as a replacement for criminal as if it means anything about an innocent person,it doesn’t

3. Constantly saying Varadkar has admitted to doing something and apologised for it,in the misapprehension/ misrepresentation that the other side don't accept that (they do)

Basically presenting it as an admission of a crime when it isn't, albeit mod instructions have closed down the explicit version

4. Goading the other side of the thread with number 2 and number 3 as pseudonym 's for what they really are in the (vain) hope of a reaction

The above has been wholesale throughout this thread

All I'm doing is calling it

Ironically that is uncomfortable, but not for me

I'd agree with that

As regards your earlier comments on how I'm not treating paddy C being sued the same as Varadkar's situation,I've brought it up as pertinent

I've not said or tried to say he's a criminal and wouldn't

All I've noted is,the new light it sheds on what's going on and it doesn't look like moonlight and roses thus far

Comparing carrying out vandetta's to getting a gp contract signed up by a larger number of doctors

I know which is the more decent of the two motives

PC will get his due process too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

But you're back to doing what you're accusing others of, Marine.....your attribution of a positive motive for Leo's decision to leak the file is no more supported than others attribution of a negative motive for leaking said document, yet you've raked posters across the coals for assuming he did it for some sort of personal gain. If your defence of that position is, 'well he said it was for a good reason'.....well he would obviously say that, wouldn't he?

You haven't said Paddy Cosgrave is a criminal, but you've engaged in the very same insinuation and rhetoric that you've been highly critical of others engaging with regards to Leo. For example;

I hope the village people flew out to Lisbon on their own dime (pardon the pun 🤣🤣) for instance

Hiding behind, 'I hope' doesn't mask the intent behind it, Marine.

Don't mistake my comments for a defence of Paddy Cosgrave by the way....I've had business dealings with him, I'd vouch know more than most on here about behind the scenes with Web Summit and I've had to meet with him on multiple occasions.....putting it diplomatically, he wouldn't be my choice of company if at all avoidable.

Difficult read this thread. It’s full of logical fallacies, ‘have you stopped beating your wife’ level arguments, and failed attempts at one-upmanship.

• Advertisement

Well if everything is above board,it's above board

I don't see that post as an equivalent anyway as at least I'm not repeating the same stuff over and over again like it hasn't been heard before

On this side of the thread we have always viewed the construct of the complaint and village article as driven by PC

We now have a law suit shining a light on it

This is new and relevant

Its been fast tracked in the commercial court

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Ok, I'll ask it. What is a "Sinn Fein type of apology"?

What's with the insistence that everyone falls into one of two hive mind positions?

Therein lies half the problem methinks; some people are more concerned with keeping up, 'their side' than silly concepts like actually finding out what happened.

Yes, if everything is above board, it is above board. That doesn't change your insinuation that there are things that may not be above board....there's my point; that is exactly what you've been accusing others of doing with Leo. I doubt you'd be quite so accepting of insinuations being made about him if you received that kind of brush off when highlighting that he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

Just as an FYI,it would not surprise me if a lot of what was in that affidavit were true and shown to be, post due process

It absolutely would surprise me if Leo Varadkar is charged

Is that not a fair enough standpoint to have ?

I'm also aware from being a regular on this thread,as must you,that many quarters of the I hate Varadkar with a passion side didn't want to veil what they were saying about him at all until mods intervened

I've not done that, so lectures from them or pretence that they weren't doing that rings hollow

Why would people keep repeating initially what was not actioned by mods and then try to say the same thing by trial and error after that ?

To goad ,is the answer

The problem for the people at that is, this side mostly frankly just laugh ,prior to thinking it boring

You are once again claiming people are "goading" you (or others) for simply using the correct term to describe something you yourself have acknowledged is factually correct. What else are people to describe Leo's situation as, given he actually and actively is the subject of a criminal investigation? Stating the truth, while uncomfortable for you, is still the truth.

Come on Marine Layer, at least be honest with yourself, you're complaining because it's an uncomfortable truth you cannot counter it, and I highly suspect that you are severely annoyed that you cannot get the powers that be to stop people using the term, because, as already mentioned, it's factually correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I'm not one for accepting the lesser of two evils. I got off the FF/FG merry-go-round mo chara.

I wouldn't be discussing the criminal investigation at all if not for the lot spinning yarns and talking out their barney to try dismiss it.

Lot of anger there when some linen is aired.

Laughable.

No need to try make it personal to defend your hero.

You say 'sharing' I say 'leaking'. He did not have permission. You don't 'share' what isn't yours to share.

I'm not bitter I'm stepping in to call out a whitewashing attempt.

We know what he did. How you try word it won't change that.

getting a gp contract signed up by a larger number of doctors

That's your guess, not fact.

He leaked a private and confidential negotiation document to his friend, the head of a rival union. He did that.

Why is open for debate.

If what you say is true, how would the union who's trust he breached feel toward any future deal with a lying untrustworthy Taoiseach?

'I leaked your negotiation document to a rival union for the common good', yeah it was resting in his account sure...

I'm complaining about the repetition of nothing new really and the goading

The goading ramped up when something new was actually introduced to the thread that the varadakar hating side didn't like

Thats all they have is Repetition Repetition Repetition

I couldn't give a toss what you think about my opinion but I accept it,I won't be mean

Cue more Repetition now

I'll return in 20 pages time and it'll still be the same

Toodles untill then,I'll be pressing skip recap when I pop back in,there'll be no need for it

• Advertisement

Good call, a chara

....just as an FYI, by presuming guilt in PC's case, you've completely lost all credibility to criticise anyone presuming LV's guilt. If you want to stand by your, 'innocent til proven guilty' stance with any credibility, at least be consistent with it.

The rest.....well that just strikes me as your own projection, none of which actually addresses the points I made in the post you replied to. Your entire argument seems to be a childish, 'well they do it, so I can', which supports my entire position that your entire self-supposed moral high-ground is rapidly crumbling.

Even the fact that you think a civil case concerning a relatively insignificant bloke running a private company is more significant than a criminal case involving one of the seniormost politicians in our country betrays your own inherent biases.

You can't deflect with, 'well the other side' with me either.

Ok, so to quickly recap, you're associating "goading" with "repetition" despite admitting yourself that Leo is the subject of the NCBI criminal investigation?

I've never seen such bizzare and odd behaviour on this site during the many years I've floated in and out of it Marine Layer.

You (quite rightly I might add) don't like anyone placing the assumption of guilt on Varadkar - yet (bizzarely) at the same time, have absolutely zero problems, nor shame by not affording Paddy Cosgrave the same presumption of innocence.

You admit yourself that Leo actually is the subject of a criminal investigation, yet claim people are "goading" you by stating Leo is the subject of a criminal investigation. That's just odd and bizzare behaviour, I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

The "pseudonym" thing, we've covered, initially by a suggestion that you might have meant to use a different word. However, you've clarified you using of it, (which I disagree with) and suggested people are using it in lieu of calling him a criminal to "goad you" (despite also admitting "subject" being the appropriate description.

Is Leo Varadkar the subject of the Garda criminal investigation? - yes/no ?

If you answered yes (you should have done, because there's no other correct answer) how on earth is it "goading"?

Maybe you just mean you don't like the proper description being used, if that's the case what alternative would you like boards users to type out instead, but still keeping the discussion factual?

The main Suspect in the criminal investigation?

The man at the centre of the investigation?

The guards focal point of the investigation?

All also equally correct, and no different really, in fact some sound less kind.

"Witness" was suggested earlier (I think by yourself), but that's not accurate,nor is it correct because Leo wasn't interviewed by the guards as a witness, not from the press reports I've read.

I must say, you've picked an extremely strange hill to die on, by complaining about a factually (and suggesting no alternative) description being placed on Leo Varadkars problem. The reminder that everyone must afford Leo the assumption of innocence, while disregarding same for Cosgrave, and the constant cries of " repetition" while using the same terms and phrases over and over again (I'll not be mean about it ring any bells for example?) not to mention this "my side/your side" thing you keep throwing up, like you're 11 years old.

Quite strange and odd carryon. I've no dog in the fight here, I'm (like Fionn) merely calling things out as I see them.

Sorry for the unintended over convoluted post, but some things needed to be said.

A "Sinn Fein" apology? What would that be now FFS? (Absolutely obsessed you are)

Not much more I could say or add here, so petty much my thoughts on the matter also.

You want it every which way, if you'd like to suggest an alternative way to describe Leo, and his role in the investigation "I'm all ears" as they say.

@Marine Layer

Interesting article over the weekend which was unfortunately behind a paywall which alleged that the Garda investigation is being frustrated and delayed by certain of the witnesses constantly changing their statements and their accusation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

None of that mentioned here

EDIT

I see it's mentioned here.

Ali Bracken

November 14 2021 02:30 AM

Detectives investigating Tánaiste Leo Varadkar over the leaking of a confidential government document say the probe is being “extended and frustrated” by some of the “key players” repeatedly making new statements of complaint to gardaí.

<snip>

Copyrighted text deleted - 1 para plus link allowed

Post edited by Beasty on

I saw that on the Indo but couldn't read it as it was behind a paywall but from the first paragraph I could read it set the tone of being pro Leo, anti Paddy C, anti whistle blower type hatchet job!!

Here it is

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/investigation-into-varadkar-gp-leak-being-frustrated-by-key-players-41049813.html

Chay Bowes (the man who "blew the whistle") disputes the story, and calls it out for the hatchet attempt it likely is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ, the same paper has an article about the Rise of Helen McEntee.

That must be fairly short, she's done f**k all in general.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement