Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Golf 2021/2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Got a price for the European the other day, €120 - a bit harsh for November.

I wouldn't be saying from a golf perspective - but from a public facility perspective. It is well paid for in relation to development etc. There should not be any private commercial gain from a public park facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It’s ridiculous. Best way of dealing with prices like that is not paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Playing Royal Portrush here on Thursday for £100 and with the very mild October/November we've had so far i suspect it should be in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Will you have to use mats? Do the courses in Ireland do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Played it 2 weeks ago. Was in great condition. Bit of work had been done to the greens but they we still rolling well. Special place.

Can't see it being mats until depths of winter. Likely used for January/February

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

We're on a links course in Dublin. It's in good nick, but, we'll be moving to mats very soon. Just like we have for the last 4 winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Yep. Mats from this weekend. And the comps will still be counting for WHS. I don't mind the mats, there are pros and cons for me, but, on balance, I would prefer it was non counting while using them. But, it is what it is.

• Advertisement

Played Portrush there yesterday...

They had a light sanding of the fairways.

Mats were in use but only for approach shots from between 50-150 out. Thankfully with 30mph winds and the cool air there were very few of our drives got anwyhere near this close from the tee so all in probably only had to use the mat 3/4 times.

Outside of that the course was complete perfection as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Premium links rates for 2022 will be around 275 euro peak times , in the south west anyway . Your getting over 50% discount off peak rate . Can they really do much more ??

Is it not fair to say the premium rates are for tourists. Most premium courses have acknowledged this by offering a GUI rate .

Paying over 100 euro outside the summer is serious money by any metric.

So..I guess they could drop the price.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Heading to Ballyliffin in the morning, playing both courses over the weekend 50eur a round.

Both have been on my bucket list for years.

There you go.

Idea that over 100 euro can be the new winter rate is crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You can play the European for €70 in their winter matchplay and €80 in the opens. Hope to play a round in the matchplay, but still feel €70 is a bit much for round of golf in November.

But as you've said Fix the boom is back.....

Clubs are looking to claw back missed revenue. I'd imagine a good few of the premium clubs will drop the Golf Ireland rate,pretty sure that was just something to generate some cash flow while our American friends were not travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pjkdenver

hi all, one of those visitors that you love so much here 😂. Coming at the end of the month and looking to spoil a perfectly good Sunday. I'm coming for a work trip so will need to rent clubs and am looking to pay around 100 for greens fee. Any recommendations for where to play around Dublin if the weather cooperates?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

To be fair though these so called “Gui rates” are in reality covid rates , concessions given to Irish golfers to make up for lost revenue from the golf tourism market during the pandemic . I doubt your Gui status was even checked , an Irish accent sufficed . There will be no “ gui rates “ next year or the after as the yanks will be back . Some courses had even gotten rid of them for the second half of this season

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

You’ve decided to play from a heavily compacted green side bunker. Do you :

1. Follow your Pro’s advice and hit behind the ball to make it exit on a cushion of sand, even heavily compacted sand.
    2. Make like you’re playing from a footpath and use a P/W to pick the ball without digging in.
    3. Use a 7 iron to roll the ball up and out

What’s your go to strategy, do you ever use 2 or 3 ? I’m struggling with 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Is there a lip on the bunker. If there is not, I've seen people putt out of hard compacted bunkers (and have done so myself with reasonable success

We do love the visitors of course, nothing wrong at all. Its the courses who jack up the prices to ridiculous levels pricing alot of people out of the chance of ever playing golf on their course. But I guess thats their own perogative

Re your request. Sunday could be tricky as I know most places are members only on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Welcome, links courses around dublin are normally good condition year round. They can be tough though. A few suggestions below:

Portmarnock Links*

The island (possibly a little over 100 though)

Baltray

The european

Corballis links as a cheaper alternative. Cracking spot but too short to be considered great. Also unsure if they do club rental?

(don't mix up pormarnock links with Portmarnock (old). Old is a different course, old is stunning but even higher priced at €200+ Up to you to justify if you want to splash out. But ultimately you wont be one bit disappointed at portmarnock links)

Sundays may be tricky to get a booking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The perfect case for you would be Portmarnock Links which would be well set up for this. Normal price for GUI would be about €65 for a GUI member so should get something under 100

https://www.portmarnock.com/golf.html

Last I checked their gui rate was €100. Maybe it's lower now that we're in November.

And we'll see what way they'll go next year. They're full with regard to membership, so have less space on the timesheet now. I'd say they're the only high end links in Dublin offering a gui rate, so even at €100 I suspect they'll get a lot of visitors. But if the Americans start coming back, they might want to free up more spaces for them since they'll be happy to pay close to €200. So the €100 gui rate will be in threat.

We got great deals during covid and during the recession before that, but once the Americans are back I suspect be at an all time high. If we want to play these courses, we'll have to pay higher prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I checked and the non GUI rate is 80. SO GUI rate is definitely lower

I suspect it's a winter rate and they just don't differentiate between GUI and non-GUI for the season.

I've a voucher for €80 for the place and had arranged to play in the summer. The GUI rate had increased to €100, so I was going to have to add €20 to it much to my annoyance. I ended up postponing indefinitely, but now wonder what the rate will be if I try next summer. I wouldn't be confident of it being €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pjkdenver

Thanks all, I've changed my plans a bit, and am now going to be catching a hurling match instead. I may have some time on the tail end of my trip so will check out Portmarnock Links. Cheers!

Advertisement