Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping personal items before going

Options
  • 08-11-2021 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering does anyone have any knowledge or any recommendations regarding shipping stuff over to oz before emigrating.

I am in the latter stages of getting a defacto visa for Australia, and I was hoping to bring my series x and ps5 with me. No room for my lg CX :(

But reading up any items shipped to Australia have to have a max value of 1k ozzie or 650, so I can't ship both consoles at the same time.

Anyone use any delivery service or recommend any will be sending it to her sisters who is already in Melbourne? My inital plan was just to buy them out there again but they are still in very short supply.

Cheers for any help for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Just to clarify...a series x is an Xbox and a lgCX is a tv?

It's probably easier to just bring them on the plane with you. I've seen plenty of people bringing large TVs through airports so shouldn't be a problem. You just check them in as oversized baggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Yeah I was just gonna bring the Xbox and ps5, the television would be a bit fragile for transport. Will just buy a new one out there.

Thinking of bringing the xbox in hand language abs shipping the ps5 ahead of time

Probably best to do it that way. Might be cheaper and easier to just bring the ps5 in luggage as well.

I notice you're going on a defecto visa. I thought they were only allowing permanent residents and citizens in for now. When are you hoping to go as there doesn't seem to be any mention of when people on temporary visas will be allowed in?

Talking to my migration agent she had someone go in on the temporary I believe recently?

I may look into it anyway hopefully next year anyway fingers crossed.

I'm not saying your migration agent isn't telling the truth but as far as I know the borders are still closed for temporary visas.

I'd imagine early next year they will start letting visa holders back in again. Best of luck with it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

My Patents were granted 651 evisa for 17th December, they had to get an exemption first and then took about 10 days for the visa.

exemption is based on immediate family, no quarantine required just vaccinated. (NSW)

would defaco not be classed as immediate family?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Actually it is, you don’t need an exemption for some partner visas. Of course the visa would have to be granted first.

I am an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident or New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia

Entry to Australia remains controlled to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. You can only travel to Australia if you are exempt or you have been granted an individual exemption.

You can travel to Australia if you are an immediate family member of:

• an Australian citizen
    • an Australian permanent resident (permanent visa holder)
    • a New Zealand citizen who is usually resident in Australia.

You are only considered to be an immediate family member if you are:

• a spouse
    • a de facto partner
    • a dependent child
    • a parent/legal guardian of a dependent child
    • a parent of an adult Australian citizen or permanent resident (available from 1 November 2021).

You must apply for a travel exemption before you travel if you:

• do not hold a visa
    • hold a temporary visa, other than a temporary Partner (subclass 820 or 309) visa or a temporary Child (subclass 445) visa
    • hold a Prospective Marriage (subclass 300) visa. Exemption requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. An intention to marry is not enough evidence to show that you are an immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident or New Zealand citizen who is usually resident in Australia.

When you apply for a travel exemption, you must provide the Department evidence of your relationship. Please refer to ‘Examples of evidence that you can provide’ below for more information.  

Select ‘Apply for travel exemption’ at the bottom of this page to apply for a travel exemption and provide evidence of your relationship.

You will not be able to travel to Australia unless you have applied for and been granted a travel exemption. You will also need a valid visa to enter Australia.

Note: Partner (subclasses 100, 309, 801 and 820) and Child (subclasses 101, 102 and 445) visa holders do not need to apply for a travel exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

Shipped 6 suitcases to Oz before we left ireland. Clothes mostly. Nothing important. All got there fine except some were broken. I wouldn't be shipping valuable items. Definitely bring with you.

On the visa you should get in. The processing time is very long now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kujaultima

Hi, do you remember what you used for shipping and how much it was? Thanks

Hey I ended up using sendmybag.ie was a 10kg bag cost me around 150 euro didn't take long to come around 2 weeks.

was worth it now as I am currently wearing the summer clothes now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement