Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Oh come on, in mid July Ireland had 300 cases a day and 0 deaths. How can you expect a nation to open up under those circumstances.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 15,086 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Are you based in Ireland? All your posts are constant negativity of Ireland and other EU countries while praising England's approach at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭CutieD

We are open for the most part and there's no point claiming that we weren't.

Retail opened up from May

Hotels and restaurants and cafes opened up from June. A lot of focus was on outdoor dining and mixing but indoors came from the start of July. Pubs opened up from middle July. That was a lot of sectors open and we were as good as open except for indoor events that would attract large crowds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We weren't

Office based workers were still being told to work from home. Groups were limited to six in hospitality, limits on household interactions were in place, public transport had limits on capacity

How can you call that being open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What was the vax rate comparison at the time? No point in quoting today's %.

Also england is on it's, well it was on its 3rd downslope and back on the increase now.

• Advertisement

The standard ill informed passive aggressive sneery comment from raind.

You're right about the pandemic having brought pain to so many. There are people dead who would have been alive had it not been for Covid. Families have been torn apart and will be dealing with the impact of their losses probably for the rest of their lives.

We often speak about the affect the pandemic has on our mental wellbeing. What isn't mentioned though is the amount of people who are now grieving. There's no one size fits all when you're in that place and there is certainly no getting over it.

Every single day a person faces adversity of some kind. The world keeps turning though. Even when you are suffering and you can't comprehend why it hasn't stopped for everyone. It doesn't though.

Have you ever offered comfort to someone who is hurt? Does it take from your joy in life? Do you feel like you need to punish yourself because you want to keep living and being happy?

I offer comfort fairly regularly. I can be with another person's pain while at the same time loving my life. Death and struggle are truths of existence but we mustn't let those truths prevent us from experiencing our lives the best way we know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Those unvaccinated Covid ICU patients who have underlying health problems must be proud of themselves for holding everyone else hostage. It's because of them that people are talking about the idea of another lockdown in this country.

No it's not.

It's because of our hysterical media, ultra conservative doctors, terrible leaders and poor health service.

They've easily made people such as yourself look the other way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why would those doctors want to destabilise the economy? After all, the health service is funded by the taxes. Nobody can create extra ICU beds at the drop of a hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

I ordered and collected a PS5 for Christmas month’s ago. Lockdown, yes please. Protection of the vulnerable, and a PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I'll bet they're laughing into their oxygen masks at how they've gotten 1 up on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It looks very bleak tonight, have heard of multiple events being cancelled, which is unfortunate.

With case numbers so high and people being urged to cut contacts, we must be at the last stage before a lockdown.

Lot of GAA county finals in the last two weeks and Id guess there was a lot of spreading after them, there are multiple videos of indoor celebrations.

if it was last year people would have been horrified, but this year it went unremarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Pandemic of the unboosted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No you don’t, you have a campus of vaccinated students with the sniffles. Leave them alone!

None of their wages or funding have been impacted to date and nor will they be. At least not in a major way.

I doubt we'll see another lockdown. The government can't afford to borrow another 40 billion to wrap us in cotton wool for another few months.

There might be some nonsense COVID theatre though.

I don't think a lockdown would even achieve anything at this point anyways. They've had very limited impact since March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

So another case of a false positive, now with the Irish Rugby team. Ordinary people do not get retested like professional rugby players or policicians, so is the testing actually accurate? Surely up for questioning

Think an English rugby player had a false positive last week too

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Son from spurs had a false positive. Messed up all my bloody fantasy football plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭mcburns07

No. Once you’re eligible for a booster, if you don’t take it I don’t think you’ll be classed as vaccinated

is going to cause a problem with travel. From 15 December, France will deem unboosted over 65s as unvaccinated and won’t be able go into restaurants or take inter city trains. Given that entry restrictions mirror domestic restrictions, that means that France could be off the table for travel from December

And Sajid Javid in the UK has said that he could not rule out following France’s plans, and barring people over 65 from going to cafés and restaurants if they failed to get coronavirus booster jabs.

the wind is certainly only blowing one way across Europe when it comes to boosters and Covid passports

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

How many boosters until the penny drops, the vaccine is only a buffer.

The vaccine as is being proven has a shelf-life of 6mth or thereabouts in the body.

Time to let Covid rip for once and for all - once vulnerable folk and O65s are boosted. This virus needs to burn itself out, we're actually giving it more dangerous oxygen in the form of time to mutate again otherwise.

Stop kicking the can, bite the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Ah_well.

I still have not seen a concrete reason as to why England which has not had a single restriction since July has been able to live life completely as normal ever since and shows absolutely no signs of backtracking . No masks no distancing no hospitality restrictions packed stadiums since summer. No ridiculous rules of dancing at your seat or wearing a mask to the jacks . Is it that they have a fantastic health system or that they have had so many infections that they have more immunity now? More tolerant attitude to higher death rates ? We undoubtedly have opened up but with a cautious slant to it all . ie.masks ,distancing ,table service in pubs the covid certs ect .England don’t have any of this yet we are are the ones talking of more restrictions having only recently opened and they appear to have no intention of doing so having been opened up months ahead of us with zero caution shown . Our caution appears to have gotten us nowhere? Their cases are very high but so are ours.Also I know they made an awful mess of it pre vaccine with terrible fatalities but im trying to understand the post vaccine phase .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There's I think 7 childhood vaccines that requires 3 doses all within 3 months. So calling it a shelf-life of 6 months is a little inaccurate.

In case you haven't noticed, it is kinda ripping through. 18% of cases are in under 12's. the remaining seems to be half vaccinated and half fully vaccinated. So that ~8% unvaccinated is reducing by ~2700 a day (1300 cases & 1500 availing of the vaccine)

There's a good bit of opposition in England. There's none in Ireland. There's the Covid Recovery Group, Lord Sumption, a good bit of media opposition in the form of Talk Radio, The Telegraph, The Daily Mail (kind of), GB news, and LBC (Maajid Nawaz). Take GB news, for instance: it launched earlier this year and is already a pretty well established news channel. There's no appetite for conservative news or conservative views in Ireland (even though a third of the population is conservative). The Irish media is 100% homogenous. No difference whatsoever between the Irish Times, The Irish Independent, RTÉ, Newstalk et al. The political parties are also identical. English people don't appear to go in for hysteria as much as Irish people do. I often think about the lady who rang Duffy on Liveline in tears because a man went on holidays to Spain. I don't think you'd ever get anything like that going on in England. I go to England regularly and people are definitely more relaxed compared with a lot of Irish people. Ireland also has the problem of needing to be the best boy in the class. I think that's why whenever you see photos of young Irish people at protests outside they are almost always wearing masks.

I also believe that the restrictions are popular in Ireland. I think masks are popular. I think a lot of people like the idea of living through what they believe to be an unprecedented period in human history.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Need to get tighter restrictions on hospitality. We are a nation of pissheads and this will end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

As someone who grew up in Ireland, i've no memory of masks and restrictions being popular?

Where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

Lot's of countries will be asking those questions soon enough.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

I mean they're popular in covid times. The restrictions didn't exist before 2020.

Advertisement